TopBilled

Remake vs. original / Remake vs. another remake

81 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Walter L. said:

...I lost a draft:-(.  The 1939 version of RAFFLES that was shown just recently was referred to by Maltin as a near shot by shot remake of the 1930 version. There are two silent versions of RAFFLES I've found listed, also 1919 and 1927 IIRC...Perhaps they took different approaches that the two sound versions, but anyway that's 3 versions in less than 15 years!!!!!

I believe that, in the pre-TV era, studios paid little attention to old films. I think that many more old films would be lost films now if not for: (1) Television coming along and providing a market for these older films (2) dedicated film fans looking to save old films, with the studios themselves offering no help.   

Some stories were hugely popular with audiences. RAFFLES was one of them. Plus, stories like RAFFLES were retold on radio. Because of their enduring popularity, it was a no-brainer to do a remake since it would almost be guaranteed success at the box office. Also, it could have been that an actor or actress wanted to take a shot at the story and asked the studio to green-light a remake for them. I'm sure there were a variety of reasons.

May have already been mentioned but there is Tiger Shark (1932) remade as Slim (1937) and Man Power (1941). Odd because sound technology didin't noticeably improve during these intervals, Tiger Shark may be of the precode era but it is really not a precode so it did not need to be cleaned up, and the basic storyline is just not that fascinating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Walter L. said:

...I didn't write " On ' in my post. What are you referring to?

I was cracking wise;  why would one have to be in their 90s to see a film from the 20s?

(but that would be true if one was talking about seeing a play ON Broadway).

28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I was cracking wise;  why would one have to be in their 90s to see a film from the 20s?

(but that would be true if one was talking about seeing a play ON Broadway).

...Because it's a lost film!!! (A couplish reels, and the soundtrack, survive.)

28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Walter L. said:

...Because it's a lost film!!! (A couplish reels, and the soundtrack, survive.)

Hey,  great point;  So now I wonder if that poster had ever seen that lost film.

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey,  great point;  So now I wonder if that poster had ever seen that lost film

...I remember seeing MARY POPPINS at five - I think - on a big trip in from suburbia to the Radio City Music Hall in NYC and a couple of other early movie excursions, 5-6. I imagine this is not uncommon.

So, someone who was 5-6 in 1929-30 could have seen it and be alive today, like the recent deceases Stan Lee, who was born in 1924 !s was .y - love g since deceased - late father ) - Or, even have been - a decade-and-a-half, anyway (stretching probability, obviously) - with 112-114 being pretty much the established absolute upper limit for living known to have happened in modern, scientific, times - Someone could still be around - maybe - who saw TGDOB as a teenager. At another classic movies board s ways ago the subject of the notoriously " naughty " " movie that brought on the Code " CONVENTION CITY came up and one quite older poster grew up in NYC and said he was a great fan of Dick Powell then and saw every movie he made then do he was sure that he saw it...but he didn't remember seeing it!!!!!:-(