Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Any 'must-see' TV ?

19 posts in this topic

The Weekly Highlight: “What We Do in the Shadows,” Season 1. FX debuted this new adaptation of the 2015 movie on March 27.

Premise: A group of immortal vampires share a house together in contemporary Staten Island. These vampires have to balance their perpetual need to drink human blood with their general laziness and incompetence. Jemaine Clement created the show and wrote the first episode, while he and Taika Waititi ― who directed the first episode ― also executive produce. Both Clement and Waititi created and starred in the original movie together.

Sum-up: Shot in a documentary style, this show has a similar comedic sensibility to “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” Characters talk to the camera by themselves to tell one-off jokes and sometimes a character will even do that knowing-stare-at-the-camera made famous by Jim Halpert from “The Office.” Even though the documentary format and the vampire-based subject matter are both well-tread conceits, “What We Do in the Shadows” still has enough originality to be its own thing....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-show-watch-shadows_l_5c9a7b8de4b07c88662cabef?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

:unsure:

FX "Fosse/Verdon" debuts 4-9....

Spanning five decades, Fosse/Verdon explores the singular romantic and creative partnership between Bob Fosse (Sam Rockwell) and Gwen Verdon (Michelle Williams). He is a visionary filmmaker and one of the theater’s most influential choreographers and directors. She is the greatest Broadway dancer of all time. Only Bob can create the groundbreaking musicals that allow Gwen to showcase her greatness. Only Gwen can realize the unique vision in Bob’s head. Together, they will change the face of American entertainment – at a perilous cost.

As Bob journeys from fledgling Broadway choreographer to lauded auteur of stage and screen, he fuels his manic creativity with drugs, alcohol, and sex, often abusing his celebrity and power to feed his appetites. Meanwhile, Gwen goes from a legendary triple threat, winning four Tony Awards in six years, to an actress struggling to stay relevant in an industry obsessed with youth and novelty...

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/fosse-verdon?cmpid=org=fxn::ag=asm::mc=ppc::src=GOOGLE::cmp=71700000049584558&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OHG1Iyw4QIVirjACh2d5Q7cEAAYASAAEgIkefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

The Weekly Highlight: “What We Do in the Shadows,” 

I absolutely loved the movie, but a large part was due to the cast, so I had little interest in the TV series featuring different people. 

I don't have many shows that I would consider "must see" at the moment, although there a few that I watch. Game of Thrones is a must see for me when it returns in a couple of weeks. I watch a few shows halfheartedly: SupernaturalMadam SecretaryBlue BloodsFBIThe Rookie. I'll watch The 100iZombieFear the Walking Dead, and Elementary when they return later this Spring/Summer. I'll give Fosse/Verdon a shot, and NOS4A2 as well. The only streaming shows that I've kept up with are Bosch and Stranger Things, so when their new seasons drop, I'll watch those.

Meanwhile, I have too many movies and old TV series to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite TV shows I've seen recently are Twin Peaks: the Return, the Trotsky miniseries from Russia and "the Leader" anime from China. I have also seen a bit of Project Blue Book starring Aidan Gillen and liked it. Fosse/ Verdon doesn't interest me much but I may catch some of it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

My favorite TV shows I've seen recently are Twin Peaks: the Return, the Trotsky miniseries from Russia and "the Leader" anime from China. I have also seen a bit of Project Blue Book starring Aidan Gillen and liked it. Fosse/ Verdon doesn't interest me much but I may catch some of it.

I have the Blu-ray of Twin Peaks: The Return but I haven't gotten around to it. It's like a small box of joy just waiting to be savored at some future date. :) 

I watched Project Blue Book and wasn't terribly impressed. I like Aidan Gillen, and the woman who plays his wife I've liked in other stuff (although not so much in this). It's like a mash-up of The X-FilesMad Men, and The Americans. My chief problem with the show was that I'm so familiar with the actual stories being embellished and dramatized that I'm bored with the stuff I already know, and frustrated that they're being so wishy-washy about adding more overt science fiction elements. I want them to go full alien encounter baloney, as the actual stories are pretty dull and don't add up to much, which was my prediction when I first heard about the series going into production. I thought the woman who plays the Russian spy was good, though, and the guy playing Gillen's partner grew on me over time (plus Michael Malarkey is an awesome name). I'll watch the next season to see where it goes. 

I'm a fan of much of Fosse's directorial work (All That JazzLennyCabaret), and I like Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams, so that's why I'll watch. As I've made clear in the past, though, I'm not much of a fan of musicals or musical theater, so my threshold may be passed and I'll quit watching the show.

• Like 1

David Jansen in 'The Fugitive' is always worth a re-watch.

• Like 1

The Man in the High Castle is also very good (though I am not totally caught up with this one).

Netflix’s Our Planet Says What Other Nature Series Have Omitted

In a groundbreaking move, the beautiful but uncomfortable documentary forces viewers to acknowledge their own complicity in the decline of nature.

"....Here, much of the awe is tinged with guilt, the wonder with concern, the entertainment with discomfort.

Repeatedly, unambiguously, and urgently, Our Planet reminds its viewers that the wonders they are witnessing are imperiled by human action. After seeing a pair of mating fossas—a giant, lemur-hunting, Madagascan mongoose—we’re told that the very forests we just saw have since been destroyed. After meeting the endearing orangutans Louie, Eden, and Pluto, we are told that 100 of these apes die every week through human activity. We see Borneo’s jungle transforming into oil-palm monocultures in a time-lapse shot that is almost painful to watch. We’re told that Louie and Eden’s generation could be the last for wild orangutans......

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/wildlife-series-finally-addresses-elephant-room/586066/

'The Singing Detective' with Michael Gambon...most sublime mini-series ever produced

NBC Nightly News with Lester HoltVerified account @NBCNightlyNews 22h22 hours ago

TOMORROW: Hear from the men branded as the "Central Park Five" ahead of @ava DuVernay's new limited Netflix series "When They See Us."

“This whole process was surreal,” Kevin Richardson told @LesterHoltNBC. Watch the interview Monday on @NBCNightlyNews.

=======================================

Ava DuVernay's new Netflix series sheds light on the horrors of wrongful incarceration

“The story of formerly incarcerated people in this country is one that's little told. It’s not told enough.”
........The Netflix series depicts how the teenagers say that they were physically assaulted and faced with mounting pressure to admit to crimes they did not commit because they just wanted to get home. "When They See Us" also includes the full-page advertisements Donald Trump purchased in local New York City newspapers in May 1989 calling for the reinstatement of the death penalty.

“It was a measured approach to him,” DuVernay said of Trump's actions. “We only show what he says for himself, so, we use his own words.”......

In 2002, Reyes confessed that he was actually the perpetrator in the 1989 Central Park crime. DNA from the crime scene confirmed that Reyes was in fact guilty.

As a result of his admission, the convictions of Salaam, McCray, Richardson, Wise and Santana were vacated in 2002. But the scars, 30 years later, all five men still live with are both physical and emotional.......

has duvernay ever watched Calling Northside 777 with james stewart and Richard conte?

:D

Has anyone seen that last episode of Game of Thrones? (I assume Larry has at least) Think of all those women who named their children "Daenerys." :o :lol: :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Has anyone seen that last episode of Game of Thrones? (I assume Larry has at least) Think of all those women who named their children "Daenerys." :o :lol: :lol: :lol: 

I enjoyed it, but I've liked the last couple of seasons more than many, if internet whining is any judge. I didn't think the Daenerys "twist" was out of character, as they've been hinting at it since the first season. I think it was a sharp slap in the face to people who have seen this struggle as "good vs evil", as morality is usually forgotten in warfare. 

I get a kick out of people who are upset that

Cersei's fate wasn't harsh enough, and yet they are upset with Daenerys' conduct. Also the complaining about Jamie Lannister returning to Cersei...I expected that all along, and I don't see how it ignores any of his character progression, either. He'd come to terms with what he'd done in the past, he knew that Cersei would either kill or be killed in the oncoming battle, and he went to take care of her, whatever that would be. Either get her to abdicate (doubtful) or take her by force out of the city, or even kill her (which is what I expected, but didn't happen, exactly)

. I think most of the complaining is either coming from a place of ignorance and/or short-term memory, or people who wanted the story to be "happier" and have a fairytale ending, when this show has always been about subverting the typical fantasy and fairy tale. 

As for next Sunday's series finale,

I think either Tyrion will end up on the throne, or the throne will disappear, leaving Westeros as a group of independent city-states. I'll be disappointed if Jon Snow ends up on the throne, but I'll accept it as the writers' decision, and not slip into the entitled shrill hectoring that I've read online for the past few weeks about the show having lost its way

• Like 1

Yeah, I have been enjoying the show too and I never thought Daenerys' character was portrayed as particularly "nice" so I completely expected something like this to occur. I would prefer Jon to Tyrion as I can not stand Tyrion at all. His characterization was good early on but when it diverges from the books in later seasons is when he becomes really irritating in my opinion (ex. the "balls" comments to the eunuch, being very agitated in general). Arya is my favorite character btw.

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I have been enjoying the show too and I never thought Daenerys' character was portrayed as particularly "nice" so I completely expected something like this to occur. I would prefer Jon to Tyrion as I can not stand Tyrion at all. His characterization was good early on but when it diverges from the books in later seasons is when he becomes really irritating in my opinion (ex. the "balls" comments to the eunuch, being very agitated in general). Arya is my favorite character btw.

Arya is my favorite, as well.

I agree to an extent on Tyrion. The showrunners seemed to have lost their way with him, not really knowing how to handle him as the smartest guy in room, but rather they turned him into a drunk who tells weak jokes. That sounds harsh, but I still think Peter Dinklage has done his best with what he's been given.

My biggest gripe was that Bran and the "Three-Eyed Raven" aspect wasn't as developed as it could have been. But some mystery is good, too, I suppose.

I ran across this article, a perfect example of the utter ridiculousness of modern pop culture "fandom":

“Thrones” Petition Wants Final Season Remake

Fan entitlement and outrage culture continues to reach new heights of mania as some are taking the dissatisfaction and frustration with a creative choice they’ve disagreed with and are pumping it into an endeavour they hope will fix things.

That endeavour? A petition for a complete remake of the current eighth and final season of “Game of Thrones” with all new ‘competent’ writers which has gone up on Change.org. Not unlike one that went up in early 2018 for a complete remake of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” this one demands the studio “make it happen” and currently has nearly 100,000 signatures as of writing.

The new episodes of ‘Thrones’ have proven surprisingly divisive with the fanbase reacting harshly to decisions made – from frustration over the story compression to squeeze things into the shorter run, to some of the creative choices made within each episode – especially the last two. With the finale this coming Sunday, it’s expected once again social media will turn into “Complain of Thrones” during and after the episode’s airing.

Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are the ones being subjected to most of the criticism, including in the petition where the current top voted comment is: “I don’t want these two anywhere near Star Wars, either. This was abysmal.” The pair aren’t fussed and have reportedly recently been meeting with major media companies about potentially signing an overall global deal with them for film, TV and streaming projects according to Deadline.

In recent years, anything with a large enough viewership always comes under a massive spotlight of deep scrutiny, where a single wrong decision in the eyes of its viewers can invalidate much or even all that came before and few creative works can survive it unscathed. For those that do survive, there’s questions as to how much of it was done so via appeasement or even pandering to fan expectations as opposed to taking genuine creative risks and/or sticking true to an original narrative that is divisive by its very nature.

The issue has long been around (hello “Star Wars” prequels), but the past two years in particular – fuelled by online overanalysis & trivia-gathering, enabled & weaponised by social media, and meeting a perfect storm of an increasingly event-ised & eulogised corporate pop culture, entertainment is becoming a minefield for any creative type who works on a franchise with any kind of mass appeal.

Petitions like this however almost never work. Economics and completed contractual obligations are all against the petition, along with the simple fact being that new writers won’t necessarily solve any perceived problems in the eyes of this small but vocal part of the fandom. HBO also isn’t fussed, having been subjected to criticism over creative directions of its high-profile shows like “Westworld” and “True Detective” in the past.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/thrones-petition-wants-final-season-remake/

• Haha 1

Yeah, I ran across that one too. :lol: They want it remade so that Daenerys doesn't go power hungry (even though she really ALWAYS has been) and takes the throne and gets a romantic ending with Jon, I bet. Give me a break. :rolleyes: :lol: 

• Like 1

Jeez, some of these tweets are really something. :lol: Shows how worthless a "blue checkmark" verification on Twitter really is. 

https://theblemish.com/2019/05/wine-moms-worldwide-are-despondent-after-game-of-thrones-heel-turn/

Wine Moms Worldwide Are Despondent After ‘Game of Thrones’ Heel Turn

Game of Thrones is exactly one week away from its endgame and the final boss isn’t at all who we thought it was going to be. While most people probably thought the battle for the Iron Throne was going to come down to Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister, viewers were thrown for a loop when Sunday’s episode spent most of its run-time following Arya Stark desperately try to escape King’s Landing as Daenerys became the Mad Queen and burned the city to the ground, killing a million innocent men, women and children. Suddenly the ostensible hero of the story was the villain, and she unleashed her weapon of mass destruction on civilians after the opposing army had surrendered.

You probably saw this coming since it was hinted at since the beginning of the show; Robert Baratheon warned Viserys would lay waste to the Seven Kingdoms with a Dothraki horde, Tyrion told his sister that one in three Targaryens went mad when she was worried about her younger children in light of Joffrey’s madness, we spent a lot of time in Harrenhall in early seasons, an impregnable fortress that Aegon Targaryen reduced to rubble with his three dragons that still featured melted stone 300 years later.

Not to mention Daenerys has always been ruthless and somewhat incompetent. Her armies love her because she brutally dispatched of their oppressors, but she basically made a gigantic mess of all of Essos when she tried to actually rule it. A lot of people are going to rewatch Game of Thrones over the summer and have a lot of “Ooohhh” moments. It was actually a pretty good development for her character, if you think about it. The more obsessed she became with ruling the Seven Kingdoms, the more it became clear she shouldn’t.

You know who didn’t like this development? Wine moms and feminist bloggers who had built their identity around worshipping Dany and Harry Potter. Yes, if you thought that Daenerys Targaryen was perfect and good and stopped to kiss babies then you probably reacted like you were Constance Wu getting your popular TV show renewed, but with more accusations of misogyny, which has sort of become a catch-all term for sexism, structural inequality and whatever a writer for The Mary Sue doesn’t like this week.

ilIVzRPa_normal.jpg

Sooo...the writers are basically just saying women are too emotional to be in power and they need the rational white men to prevail? #GamefThrones

And like they wouldn’t vote for Cersei or Sansa but they’d for for Dany right? Except oops no cause she went crazy and killed everyone. They’d totally vote for the right woman though #GamefThrones

This hurts my head. Not everything is about American politics.

• Haha 1

for those with HULU....... :unsure:

--------------------------------------

Catch-22 Mines Madness and Magic From a Classic

George Clooney and Grant Heslov’s six-part Hulu adaptation of Joseph Heller’s novel is a surprising success.

"...... in its final episodes Catch-22 finds its emotional core, as well as its best moments of tragicomedy. There are scenes I can’t stop thinking about for the quiet ways in which they illustrate the cost of conflict, as well as set pieces that take your breath away with their synchronized grace and then their arbitrary horror. Through it all, Yossarian is the lens through which viewers see war, a self-confessed coward who’s by far the bravest man in a battalion.

Catch-22, again, isn’t perfect, because Heller’s book is far too prickly and paradoxical for an easy interpretation. But it’s almost always faithful to what Heller wanted to communicate and—in its finest scenes—transcendent. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/05/catch-22-review-hulu/589687/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=2019-05-17T18%3A58%3A29&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social