Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Any 'must-see' TV ?

32 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, LawrenceA said:

I enjoyed it, but I've liked the last couple of seasons more than many, if internet whining is any judge. I didn't think the Daenerys "twist" was out of character, as they've been hinting at it since the first season. I think it was a sharp slap in the face to people who have seen this struggle as "good vs evil", as morality is usually forgotten in warfare. 

I get a kick out of people who are upset that

Reveal hidden contents

Cersei's fate wasn't harsh enough, and yet they are upset with Daenerys' conduct. Also the complaining about Jamie Lannister returning to Cersei...I expected that all along, and I don't see how it ignores any of his character progression, either. He'd come to terms with what he'd done in the past, he knew that Cersei would either kill or be killed in the oncoming battle, and he went to take care of her, whatever that would be. Either get her to abdicate (doubtful) or take her by force out of the city, or even kill her (which is what I expected, but didn't happen, exactly)

. I think most of the complaining is either coming from a place of ignorance and/or short-term memory, or people who wanted the story to be "happier" and have a fairytale ending, when this show has always been about subverting the typical fantasy and fairy tale. 

As for next Sunday's series finale,

Reveal hidden contents

I think either Tyrion will end up on the throne, or the throne will disappear, leaving Westeros as a group of independent city-states. I'll be disappointed if Jon Snow ends up on the throne, but I'll accept it as the writers' decision, and not slip into the entitled shrill hectoring that I've read online for the past few weeks about the show having lost its way

Thanks for using "hidden contents." I still haven't seen the final season. I probably would have been successful in avoiding the spoilers since i am so intent on doing so, but I appreciate the masked reveals on your part.

:)

Superstore Is TV’s Most Interesting Workplace Sitcom

The NBC series, now in its fifth season, stands out for how cleverly it portrays the many labor issues affecting its ensemble of blue-collar characters.

".........The sitcom, set at a fictional mega-retailer called Cloud 9, ended its last season on a note that felt pointed by the show’s usual standards. Eager to quash worker discussions about unionizing, company executives resorted to a number of extreme options, including contacting immigration authorities. Until that point, the newly promoted store manager, Amy (played by America Ferrera), had been afraid of clashing with corporate.

But after a climactic workplace raid by ICE agents, she turned to her boyfriend, an employee named Jonah (Ben Feldman), and asked, “Wanna start a union?”

In its Season 5 premiere, Superstore immediately picks up where the finale left off. The new episode, which aired last week, sees Amy having doubts about store No. 1217’s organizing efforts, but she changes her mind after visiting her co-worker Mateo (Nico Santos), who was detained by ICE for being undocumented and faces deportation....

the Season 5 premiere introduces another threat to employees: automation. In an attempt to modernize its business, corporate sends Store No. 1217 a new “high-tech floor cleaner.” The robot excites most of the workers at first, but Jonah sees the machine for what it is—their future replacement.

“It was nice of corporate to wait an entire week before they reminded us we’re just as replaceable as Mateo,” he sarcastically remarks. His anxiety quickly spreads to the others. “How can we compete with a machine that doesn’t get tired or ask for health care or a raise?” ......

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/10/superstore-season-5-gets-serious-about-labor/599092/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2019-10-01T12%3A00%3A15&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-john-cho-injured-set-cowboy-bebop-20191020-n5ffppyx7vanbjz6lpp2gqiree-story.html

John Cho injury on ‘Cowboy Bebop’ set expected to halt production for seven to nine months

Production for the Netflix series “Cowboy Bebop” will reportedly be put on hold for a while after star John Cho suffered a knee injury on set.

Cho is set to have surgery after getting hurt while taking part in a stunt during filming in New Zealand, Variety reported, citing a source.

Production for the upcoming live-action adaptation of the Japanese 1990s cartoon series is expected to go on a seven-to-nine month hiatus in the aftermath of the accident, according to Variety.

Cho, 47, is reportedly back in Los Angeles, where the surgery will take place.

-

The original is one of my favorite series but I do not have high hopes for this Netflix version.