TopBilled

Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?

342 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, BrownShoes said:

Life is more enjoyable for those who are open to a wide variety of movies.

At least, it would appear so from all the complaining less open people seem to do.

Absolutely. I find fewer things more enjoyable then a comfy couch and a good movie. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:39 PM, Casey06 said:

Absolutely. I find fewer things more enjoyable then a comfy couch and a good movie. 

Comfy couches are the bomb!

On 7/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, fxreyman said:

Actually there have been some really great years for films after 1959.

Agreed, but change the date to the last decade (2009-2019) and the number of "great" movies dwindle to a handful.

The way I see it, not only were the A list movies of the past superior to most A list movies of today, but many smaller "programmer" type movies of the past were more entertaining than many movies made today.

Somehow the charactors engaged you into the story-like Reese Witherspoon in LEGALLY BLONDE is reminiscent of Ginger Rogers in VIVACIOUS LADY or Joan Blondell in CENTRAL PARK.

None of those are great movies, but they sure are entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed, but change the date to the last decade (2009-2019) and the number of "great" movies dwindle to a handful.

As one of the loudest proponents of post-studio era movies, I still have to agree with the above. 

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As one of the loudest proponents of post-studio era movies, I still have to agree with the above. 

Oh, c'mon now, Lawrence! You're not THAT "loud", dude!

(...nope, I hardly EVER see you uppercase words in YOUR postings around here, ol' boy!) 

;)

• Haha 2

There aren't as many consistently great films out of Hollywood as compared to the Studio era certainly but there are still some very good films coming out from independent studios and around the world. I have to say Look Who's Back is probably my favorite film of the past decade and one of my all time favorites. Absolutely incredible. 

wide__820x461__desktop

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Re;

WHY DO SOME CLASSIC MOVIE FANS BASH NEWER FILMS?

Because flying saucers suppose to be flown horizontal.  Alien DUI?  :P:lol:

81f8Mv5KCKL._SY606_.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 4:33 AM, Gershwin fan said:

There aren't as many consistently great films out of Hollywood as compared to the Studio era certainly but there are still some very good films coming out from independent studios and around the world. I have to say Look Who's Back is probably my favorite film of the past decade and one of my all time favorites. Absolutely incredible. 

wide__820x461__desktop

The producers of the documentary "Valkyrie - The Plot to Kill Hitler" (2008) should had hired that actor instead of the joke in the center :blink:

v1.bjs3MTk1NDY7ajsxODE4ODsxMjAwOzQ1OTI7M

I edit the post because of the demise of Tinypic, creating an "Oops "eyesore

Edited by hamradio
Image eyesore
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, TikiSoo said:

The way I see it, not only were the A list movies of the past superior to most A list movies of today, but many smaller "programmer" type movies of the past were more entertaining than many movies made today.

Somehow the charactors engaged you into the story-like Reese Witherspoon in LEGALLY BLONDE is reminiscent of Ginger Rogers in VIVACIOUS LADY or Joan Blondell in CENTRAL PARK.

None of those are great movies, but they sure are entertaining.

I agree to a point. Remember, everything is subjective. What some would prefer like pre 1960 films as compared to more recent films I would say the vast majority of posters here like pre 1960 films. But since 1960 the film industry has changed especially when considering the advancements in the actual film making production aspects. This is not to say that today's films are better, but rather the films themselves are better looking and at times can be superior. Not all films mind you but some films. Overall I tend to believe that most post 1960 films are not as good as pre 60 films when it comes to storytelling and acting.

For me, 1960 is too early a dividing point, but maybe that's just because i came in the picture much later (mid 90s). In my (late 90s/early 00s) childhood was raised mostly on 80s and 90s titles (not just kids films, but a lot of romances, comedies, and inspirational dramas), with earlier children's classics thrown in for good measure. And of course some that I had gone to see in the theatres. I worked my way back with time and found many film classics that I truly loved, and not just the mainstream ones but also obscurities that deserve a second look.

And I feel that in a way explains how i feel about decades of film history, each is decidedly different, but each decade for a while had a different feeling to it that was invigorating: the wonder of the 20s, the hard-won optimism and dreaminess of the 30s, the combination of Wartime patriotism, brooding shadows, and, in some cases,  larkish escapism in the 40s, the feelings of uncertainty and changing tides in the 50s, the sheer sea change of the 60s, the hard-driving intensity of the 70s, the introspection of the 80s and 90s smaller films and the bewitching astonishments in some of their bigger films.

And maybe that's a reason why some recent films, especially the ebbs and flows in the last few years (2010 was blah, 2011 was OK, 2012 boring, 2013 good, 2014 OK, 2015 OK, 2016 good, 2017 was not good, 2018 was better, but this year so far is pallid), have not resonated as much with me. I don't really get the sense of change in the industry; its gotten into a rut of these spectaculars at the major studios, and some of the smaller films have become either very self-important or too quirky for words really . It's become a bit heavy-handed, and many try too hard. There are exceptions to the rules, but not as many as hoped. Films years ago tended to feel more effortless than today's and also had more sense of human emotions. Its also plain to see that the type of film that tends to be my favorite (mid-budget major-studio offerings based around a standalone story and with recognizable stars) are an endangered species, almost extinct. And some blockbusters aside (like 

And for some reason or another, although I have some favorites among the newest crop of stars (within the last 10-15 years) and am interested to see where some careers will go in the future, on the whole, i don't follow them as much as ones who either came before my time or were big names 20 years ago.

And its not because I love only classics. While its true that my favorite stretch goes from the 30s up through and including the 60s, I truly love movies from the 70s,80s, and 90s and regard them warmly. I'm just an old soul, not really interested in what was once referred to as "flavors of the month". 

On 4/14/2019 at 3:01 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

These two 'high-handed' verdicts of mine (taken from two different thread discussions) are not incompatible.

Their situation is therefore dissimilar to the fact that older people have been exposed to the Beatles (in an over-saturated way). So your whole chain of assumption --stemming from this point -- collapses, and it is exactly the kind of argument which is maddening to someone like me in that it strays from the established points which should not be questioned. Rebutt fairly!

He never even would have cleared the holster, would he, Shane, I mean, Sergeant Markoff? 

Pa's got things for you to do, and Mother wants you. I know she does, Sergeant Markoff!

Come back! Come back, Sarge...please!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

He never even would have cleared the holster, would he, Shane, I mean, Sergeant Markoff? 

Pa's got things for you to do, and Mother wants you. I know she does, Sergeant Markoff!

Come back! Come back, Sarge...please!!!

I think Sarge is long gone.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, TikiSoo said:

Agreed. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, TopBilled said:

I think Sarge is long gone.

That's too bad. He added some color to the proceedings.

It's not so much about bashing new films, it's the quality of pictures that are being put out into the market.  Being an old movie buff, I like to forget my troubles for the time the picture is on; today's picture when you leave the theater you need a pill to get over what you've seen.  Silly pixs with no type of story, violence,  sex and superhero flicks, I can do without.

The last time I  went to the theater was "The Terminal Man" and that was quite awhile ago.  Updated movies I have seen on HBO and most I'm glad I didn't pay and since I know my taste of movies I brought some on DVD.

When the The Academy Awards start nominating superhero movies that's where I draw the line and stopped watching.  I've watch the The Academy Awards since 1972 and missed this years from what I saw nominated.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, CaveGirl said:

That's too bad. He added some color to the proceedings.

I too miss Sgt_Markoff. In addition, I miss you CaveGirl. Posts seem limited. Some have nothing better to do than bash others.

For those nostalgic for Sgt_Markoff here enjoy.....

Total presence breaks on the univocal predication of the exterior absolute the absolute existent (of that of which it is not possible to univocally predicate an outside, while the equivocal predication of the outside of the absolute exterior is possible of that of which the reality so predicated is not the reality, viz., of the dark/of the self, the identity of which is not outside the absolute identity of the outside, which is to say that the equivocal predication of identity is possible of the self-identity which is not identity, while identity is univocally predicated of the limit to the darkness, of the limit of the reality of the self). This is the real exteriority of the absolute outside: the reality of the absolutely unconditioned absolute outside univocally predicated of the dark: the light univocally predicated of the darkness: the shining of the light univocally predicated of the limit of the darkness: actuality univocally predicated of the other of self-identity: existence univocally predicated of the absolutely unconditioned other of the self. The precision of the shining of the light breaking the dark is the other-identity of the light. The precision of the absolutely minimum transcendence of the dark is the light itself/the absolutely unconditioned exteriority of existence for the first time/the absolutely facial identity of existence/the proportion of the new creation sans depth/the light itself ex nihilo: the dark itself univocally identified, i.e., not self-identity identity itself equivocally, not the dark itself equivocally, in “self-alienation,” not “self-identity, itself in self-alienation” “released” in and by “otherness,” and “actual other,” “itself,” not the abysmal inversion of the light, the reality of the darkness equivocally, absolute identity equivocally predicated of the self/selfhood equivocally predicated of the dark (the reality of this darkness the other-self-covering of identity which is the identification person-self).

• Haha 2

As I longtime comic book fan, I was intrigued by the trailer and its allusions to Superman's childhood. But ... no good, eh?

I haven't had time to go through all the posts on this interesting topic, so excuse me if I repeat something that previous posters have said.  Here is my take.

Most large-scale modern movies simply do not interest me.  I have no idea what Dead Pool is about, though I know for certain I would not like it.  I do not enjoy the violence and banality of most current movies.  Every now and then one slips through (Spotlight comes to mind) that, when I see it I go, "Ya see, they CAN make them like they used to!"  But that is the rare example of a narrative, story driven film with a solid cast.  No one overacts.  No CGI.  No explosions.  No fantasy.  Just a great story, told well.  THAT is what is missing from most features today.  Story has been replaced by over-the-top effects and stunt work.  Oddly, I think this is why many modern films made for streaming (Both Mindhunter and The Queen come to mind...) are doing well.  They DO tell stores in classic narrative form, letting the writing and acting come to the fore.  And it is those stories that stay with me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, overeasy said:

I haven't had time to go through all the posts on this interesting topic, so excuse me if I repeat something that previous posters have said.  Here is my take.

Most large-scale modern movies simply do not interest me.  I have no idea what Dead Pool is about, though I know for certain I would not like it.  I do not enjoy the violence and banality of most current movies.  Every now and then one slips through (Spotlight comes to mind) that, when I see it I go, "Ya see, they CAN make them like they used to!"  But that is the rare example of a narrative, story driven film with a solid cast.  No one overacts.  No CGI.  No explosions.  No fantasy.  Just a great story, told well.  THAT is what is missing from most features today.  Story has been replaced by over-the-top effects and stunt work.  Oddly, I think this is why many modern films made for streaming (Both Mindhunter and The Queen come to mind...) are doing well.  They DO tell stores in classic narrative form, letting the writing and acting come to the fore.  And it is those stories that stay with me.

Excellent post. Thank you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, overeasy said:

(For those who are old enough to remember), We basically are reliving the early 1970's all over again.

Back then, the studio system was basically over. There was so much good programming on television, people would rather stay home than go out to the theater. That was the era of TV Movies, Movie of the Week. etc...

I was listening to an old podcast recently and Eddie Muller was the guest. And he mentioned that people ask him often "what happened to noir?". And he would answer, "they all just went to television".

And today, that's what happened to dramas, for the most part. If you're looking for dialogue, story telling, acting, then TV is where to find it. As you posted yourself.

You mention the special effects, explosions and such. Back then it was Jaws, Towering Inferno, Star Wars, Superman etc... Today its CGI, buildings exploding, Star Wars and Superman :lol:.

We've all been here before. Its nothing new. One thing people have to do is not look down on TV. Entertainment changes with the times. Frankly, I feel the home is the best place to watch a drama. No one walking up and down the aisle, talking, laughing. And I can hit the pause anytime.

Every type of entertainment you describe does exist. Its just at home, at your fingertips

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

(For those who are old enough to remember), We basically are reliving the early 1970's all over again.

Back then, the studio system was basically over. There was so much good programming on television, people would rather stay home than go out to the theater. That was the era of TV Movies, Movie of the Week. etc...

I was listening to an old podcast recently and Eddie Muller was the guest. And he mentioned that people ask him often "what happened to noir?". And he would answer, "they all just went to television".

And today, that's what happened to dramas, for the most part. If you're looking for dialogue, story telling, acting, then TV is where to find it. As you posted yourself.

You mention the special effects, explosions and such. Back then it was Jaws, Towering Inferno, Star Wars, Superman etc... Today its CGI, buildings exploding, Star Wars and Superman :lol:.

We've all been here before. Its nothing new. One thing people have to do is not look down on TV. Entertainment changes with the times. Frankly, I feel the home is the best place to watch a drama. No one walking up and down the aisle, talking, laughing. And I can hit the pause anytime.

Every type of entertainment you describe does exist. Its just at home, at your fingertips

This statement somewhat goes along with my thoughts when I read posts bemoaning the lack of movies THEY want to see in the theater and/or TCM.  Or the "they don't make any good films these days" and other posts of that ilk.

I feel like if you have something particular that you want to see, you cannot be a passive viewer.  You need to seek out the specific type of programming that you wish to view. With so many streaming platforms having their own original programming and such, I can understand people's hesitance to subscribe to every streaming service to cobble together a package of programming that they desire. I totally get that, it would be very expensive to subscribe to everything. 

For me personally, I use my Dish DVR to record specific films that TCM airs that I'm interested in. I also use the library and local theaters to locate other films I'm interested in. Finally, I do have Netflix (mainly for Great British Baking Show, but I think my husband watches something on there too), Hulu (for all the great TV shows that I love), and Amazon (mainly for the free shipping,  but the Prime Video is a good feature too). Between all of this, I have WAY MORE programming than I can ever watch. I've never seen most of the current shows because I just cannot keep up on everything (plus, I keep watching 90210 and The Golden Girls, which I suppose is my own problem).  The only show I've been keeping up on lately is A Very Brady Renovation on HGTV. The TV/Streaming market is so saturated in programming, I don't know how anyone can even make any sort of impact and get their show seen. For me, most of the new shows seem very issue oriented which I am just not interested in. I do not want to watch a depressing show about domestic violence. I want to watch something fun--somewhere to visit and escape a world in which things like domestic violence and martial rape are a reality. 

Lately the only movies that I've seen in the theater lately are the TCM/Fathom releases. I would go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, not because I'm particularly a fan of Quentin Tarantino's, but the subject matter is interesting to me and I like the cast (Luke Perry! RIP). I've seen all the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, because my husband likes them. The movies are all fine, but for me, they run together and aren't really worthy of a re-watch.  

What turns me off of a lot of the newer movies is the length. Why does everyone's film have to be pushing 3 hours in length? I always get stuck next to the most annoying person in the theater, so the thought of having to sit next to them for 3 hours is not a happy thought. 

Yea, for me it's like most blockbusters and theaters in general are now like the old Saturday morning cartoons and kids stuff, and the the more interesting entertainment can be found streaming or is on cable TV and a lot of time in miniseries to boot.

• Like 2