TopBilled

Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?

342 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2019 at 5:56 AM, fxreyman said:

But since 1960 the film industry has changed especially when considering the advancements in the actual film making production aspects. This is not to say that today's films are better, but rather the films themselves are better looking and at times can be superior. Not all films mind you but some films. Overall I tend to believe that most post 1960 films are not as good as pre 60 films when it comes to storytelling and acting.

Rey, I do not think that current films are better looking than the films of the classic era. I consider the present day the low point of cinematography, probably even worse than the Sepia Sludge of the 1970s. Just try finding reds and blues in 1970s films. It can be a challenge. Sepia Sludge is back, all over just about any recent TV drama series, along with attempts at supposed noir styling. Let's underlight every set and show a conversation with nothing visible except half of one person's face. Who wants to look at the actors, anyway? Everything is done to call attention to the director (excuuuuse me, the "auteur") and the cinematographer. One of the pleasures of older films is being able to look at the actors.

I actually think the standard of acting today is fine, with far less star power but with generally solid casts. A lot of TV dramas are very well acted. I completely agree that the standard of screenwriting is lower. And the length of the films has expanded to match the directors' egos. Well, almost.

I feel like if you have something particular that you want to see, you cannot be a passive viewer.  You need to seek out the specific type of programming that you wish to view. With so many streaming platforms having their own original programming and such, I can understand people's hesitance to subscribe to every streaming service to cobble together a package of programming that they desire. I totally get that, it would be very expensive to subscribe to everything. 

That's entertainment in 2019. I had this very conversation with a good friend of mine. Come November, we'll have to do just that, cobble together what works for us. He's married so he has to factor in his wife's tastes. No one can afford all of those channels. And those who could probably have better things to do.

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

What turns me off of a lot of the newer movies is the length. Why does everyone's film have to be pushing 3 hours in length? I always get stuck next to the most annoying person in the theater, so the thought of having to sit next to them for 3 hours is not a happy thought. 

That's another advantage of home viewing. You can always hit pause. Or with Video on Demand, you can simply catch up with it later. HBO did something novel, back in 2011, they turned Mildred Pierce into a mini series. That gives time to flesh out characters and you're able to watch it in "bite sized pieces". Rather than the hours long epic.

The theater near me has very reasonable prices so a movie doesn't have to be brilliant for me to watch it. And if I wait a week, the theater is almost empty. So its as if I have the theater to myself.

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea, for me it's like most blockbusters and theaters in general are now like the old Saturday morning cartoons and kids stuff, and the the more interesting entertainment can be found streaming or is on cable TV and a lot of time in miniseries to boot.

It really feels like the average age of the theater goer has gone down in the last three decades.

20 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

It really feels like the average age of the theater goer has gone down in the last three decades.

Its a way of socializing for the kids and young at heart so at least they are off their cell phones and interacting in person with one another for a couple of hours with the added bonus of getting away from their folks. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Its a way of socializing for the kids and young at heart so at least they are off their cell phones and interacting in person with one another for a couple of hours with the added bonus of getting away from their folks. 

??? :huh:

What movie theater do YOU go to?  I know I haven't been to the show in several years, but during that movie( '13's GRAVITY) a glance around the theater revealed several people, young and old with lighted faces "nosediving" into their "smartphones", and my ears also detected many young people "socializing" loudly while the movie was playing. 

Sepiatone

:rolleyes:

Yeah.  SO civilized they don't eat pizza with a knife and fork.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Why would you eat pizza with a knife and fork? What craziness is this? The only time I use silverware to eat pizza is if it’s so loaded with toppings that it’s hard to pick up without everything falling off. Otherwise, depending on the type of pizza, you hold it in your hand, fold it, and eat it. 

In the theaters I frequent, people do seem to be at least considerate and keep off their phones. I always turn my ringer off and put my phone in my bag. I also always sit in the back. Depending on the movie, we always try to go at times when kids (hopefully) won’t be there. 

I always seem to get stuck next to the person who falls asleep and snores, or the person with the stuffy nose, or the moron that can’t just watch the movie and be quiet. He or she has to constantly ask their partner questions about what’s happening in the movie. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:rolleyes:

Yeah.  SO civilized they don't eat pizza with a knife and fork.  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Why would you eat pizza with a knife and fork? What craziness is this? The only time I use silverware to eat pizza is if it’s so loaded with toppings that it’s hard to pick up without everything falling off. Otherwise, depending on the type of pizza, you hold it in your hand, fold it, and eat it. 

In the theaters I frequent, people do seem to be at least considerate and keep off their phones. I always turn my ringer off and put my phone in my bag. I also always sit in the back. Depending on the movie, we always try to go at times when kids (hopefully) won’t be there. 

I always seem to get stuck next to the person who falls asleep and snores, or the person with the stuffy nose, or the moron that can’t just watch the movie and be quiet. He or she has to constantly ask their partner questions about what’s happening in the movie. 

I eat pizza with a knife and fork.  Main reason is I don't like to burn the roof of my mouth.  Also I don't like to get my fingers real greasy to the point where it is a chore to clean up with a paper towel, and yes the condiments could be a reason too.  There could be exceptions, but generally not with fresh hot pizza from a pizza parlor.

As far as cell phones might go I don't really care, not that disturbing to me in general, I can tune them out in a theater.*   (I feel worse for people addicted to smart phones than I do for myself.)  That leaves the people who are fooling around, giggling and so forth, which might be deterred by the occasional usher with a flashlight.  Then the are those who stick their knees against the back of my seat, moving it around.  Now, I'll do that to the seat in front of me too, but only if I am certain there is nobody sitting in it!

Then there are all the car incidents that seem to only happen to parked cars at multiplex movie theater parking lots.  Now the multiplex I usually go to is about 400-500 feet away from a Home Depot, and Home Depot is one of my favorite stores.  My car has never been damaged once at a Home Depot.  Might have something to do with pride of ownership of their clientele, versus whatever you might be getting at a theater.  So I have to remember next time I go to that multiplex, to park it at the Home Depot, then walk over to the theater and my car should be okay.

* I can tune out smart phones in a theater, but on the other hand if I am in an environment where it might be quiet to moderate conversation where I am trying to work, and someone nearby starts watching videos at full volume on their iDevice, that can be somewhat of an annoyance.

Now what I DO have an issue with is the change in landscape with music concert videos, where the sea of cigarette lighters has been replaced with a sea of iDevices and kids vaping.

19 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I eat pizza with a knife and fork.  Main reason is I don't like to burn the roof of my mouth.  Also I don't like to get my fingers real greasy to the point where it is a chore to clean up with a paper towel, and yes the condiments could be a reason too.  There could be exceptions, but generally not with fresh hot pizza from a pizza parlor.

As far as cell phones might go I don't really care, not that disturbing to me in general, I can tune them out in a theater.*   (I feel worse for people addicted to smart phones than I do for myself.)  That leaves the people who are fooling around, giggling and so forth, which might be deterred by the occasional usher with a flashlight.  Then the are those who stick their knees against the back of my seat, moving it around.  Now, I'll do that to the seat in front of me too, but only if I am certain there is nobody sitting in it!

Then there are all the car incidents that seem to only happen to parked cars at multiplex movie theater parking lots.  Now the multiplex I usually go to is about 400-500 feet away from a Home Depot, and Home Depot is one of my favorite stores.  My car has never been damaged once at a Home Depot.  Might have something to do with pride of ownership of their clientele, versus whatever you might be getting at a theater.  So I have to remember next time I go to that multiplex, to park it at the Home Depot, then walk over to the theater and my car should be okay.

* I can tune out smart phones in a theater, but on the other hand if I am in an environment where it might be quiet to moderate conversation where I am trying to work, and someone nearby starts watching videos at full volume on their iDevice, that can be somewhat of an annoyance.

Now what I DO have an issue with is the change in landscape with music concert videos, where the sea of cigarette lighters has been replaced with a sea of iDevices and kids vaping.

OK.  As to the 1st "bolded" response....

What condiments do you put on a pizza? Unless you're referring to toppings

2nd "bolded".  I find it hard to tune out the cretin sitting behind me that's jabbering away.  And turning around to ask him to tone it down just causes the jerk to talk louder.  So I have to move. :angry:

3rd "bolded".  I haven't seen an usher with a flashlight in a movie theater since I hit 21 years of age!  :o

And the multiplex we used to go to wasn't near any place of business which would cause those patrons to use the multiplex lot.  The next area over was the long standing Southgate, MI shopping center which had plenty of adequate parking for shoppers to the center.  And since Monkey Ward's closed down, and Service Merchandise too,(along with Farmer Jack's) there's not much reason for anyone to go and park there.  Which means nothing ever happened to my car when parked in the multiplex lot.

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

OK.  As to the 1st "bolded" response....

What condiments do you put on a pizza? Unless you're referring to toppings

2nd "bolded".  I find it hard to tune out the cretin sitting behind me that's jabbering away.  And turning around to ask him to tone it down just causes the jerk to talk louder.  So I have to move. :angry:

3rd "bolded".  I haven't seen an usher with a flashlight in a movie theater since I hit 21 years of age!  :o

And the multiplex we used to go to wasn't near any place of business which would cause those patrons to use the multiplex lot.  The next area over was the long standing Southgate, MI shopping center which had plenty of adequate parking for shoppers to the center.  And since Monkey Ward's closed down, and Service Merchandise too,(along with Farmer Jack's) there's not much reason for anyone to go and park there.  Which means nothing ever happened to my car when parked in the multiplex lot.

Sepiatone

1) Toppings.

2a) I find it hard to tune out loud people too, which incidentally can be asked to leave by the management.
2b) Usage of cell phones cannot be regulated (by law) in a theater.  I have learned to ignore them, but that doesn't change my view of them negatively impacting society.

3) The careless people who put dents/dings in my car in a multiplex parking lot have tended to be moviegoers, in the multiplex parking lot, directly in front of the theater.  Slobs who only were thinking of themselves, probably drunk, high, or just stupid (apparently opposite of your experience).  One other incident was at a nearby restaurant where my friend witnessed someone go up to my vehicle and steal one of my plastic wheel covers.  At about $10 a pop or whatever on eBay (they are pretty much an expendable item - I get them in packs of 4 or 5), I didn't pursue it.  I just let her hobble away with it.

4) I frequent several different Home Depots (as well as Lowes and Menards) near us.  Never, not once, has anyone dinged, dented, scratched my car, or stolen anything off of it. In any of their parking lots.  I attribute this to pride of ownership of their clientele.

5) There happens to be a Home Depot next to the multiplex near me, next door but in a different parking lot (or at least further away from the theater patrons).  I was thinking about putting my car directly in front of that Home Depot instead next time I go to the multiplex, "if" there is a next time I go to the multiplex. 

• Thanks 1

I would consider a movie theater a danger zone these days. Guess I watch too much TV news. Plus I am very nearsighted and have enough trouble with TV. My last picture show was painfully loud.

I use a fork with hot pizza. A knife with thick crust. We are a take and bake family. Love at 425°.

(For me cold pizza and warm beer.)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

(For me cold pizza and warm beer.)

:D  I remember many a Sunday morning growing up when we'd have a breakfast of cold pizza and flat, warm Coke!  :D  But that only happened during the summer when my step brother and stepsister would spend the night.  And that was not every weekend. 

Moviecollector, I've learned over the years that to avoid careless dents and dings in my car in parking lots(ANY parking lot) is to try to park between two vehicles newer and more expensive than the one I'm driving( which has always been easy for me, never having owned a vehicle that was very expensive). When a car door is opened wide enough to damage your car, it does some damage to theirs as well.  And they'll avoid that as much as possible.  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 9/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, speedracer5 said:

My neighborhood theater tends to be mostly empty after the first week of a movie showing. I just wait till the second week and go around or before noon. No lines and no kids.

Funny thing though, no matter where I sit in the empty theater, whomever walks in after me, just has to sit near me. They have the whole theater yet, they come one row ahead or behind me :wacko:

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D  I remember many a Sunday morning growing up when we'd have a breakfast of cold pizza and flat, warm Coke!  :D  But that only happened during the summer when my step brother and stepsister would spend the night.  And that was not every weekend. 

Moviecollector, I've learned over the years that to avoid careless dents and dings in my car in parking lots(ANY parking lot) is to try to park between two vehicles newer and more expensive than the one I'm driving( which has always been easy for me, never having owned a vehicle that was very expensive). When a car door is opened wide enough to damage your car, it does some damage to theirs as well.  And they'll avoid that as much as possible.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Cars come and go.  You will likely be surrounded by different cars by the time you get out of the theater - some may be cars you don't want to be parked next to - especially if it is a multiplex.  The only way to assure no dings, dents, and missing car parts at a cinema multiplex parking lot is to show up in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle (or thereabouts).  ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

1953 GM (Jimmy) bus. There is a YouTube video.

It is 13+ minutes. zzzzzzzz. She won't dent.

hqdefault.jpg

A bit more inviting though.