July Schedule is Up! SOTM Glenn Ford

60 posts in this topic

Noir Alley

7/7 The Tattooed Stranger

7/14 The People Against O'Hara

7/21 While the City Sleeps

7/27 Thieves' Highway

7/2

Lucille Ball movies.  I've seen almost all of these. I am most interested in Bunker Bean, Don't Tell the Wife and Panama Lady.  I haven't seen these Lucille Ball films before.  I recommend Next Time I Marry.  It's not revolutionary filmmaking, but it's amusing.  It features Lucy in another trailer mishap! 

7/3

The Spotlight is called CNN: The Movies.  I am going to assume that this series ties into a program airing on CNN. I know, it was quite a stretch to come to that conclusion.

7/5 

The beginning of a spotlight devoted to 1939.  Seeing that it's the 80th anniversary of 1939, I was wondering if they were going to spotlight "Hollywood's Greatest Year." 

I am interested in the documentary, 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year

7/6

Once again the first slot on Primetime Saturdays are TBA.

7/8

I feel like TCM plays the same exact day of horror movies once a month.  Same lineup, same order, each and every time.

The Lady in Question. A Rita Hayworth movie I haven't seen.

7/10

Oh man! A whole day of teen movies--one of my favorite genres (sub genres?). I'd like to say that some of these films are new to me, but not only are they not, but I own each and every one. Lol.

I like the idea of "dynamic dames." I am interested in Ex-Lady--A Bette Davis movie that I haven't seen.

7/11

Fashions of 1934.  A Bette Davis movie I haven't seen.

Ride the Wild Surf.  A teen beach movie that I haven't seen! Count me in. 

7/15

Go Chase Yourself.  Another Lucille Ball movie I haven't seen.

7/16

For All Mankind documentary.  I always love seeing non-fiction things about space.

A Trip to the Moon might be interesting solely for the fact that it was made in 1902!

7/18

The Burt Lancaster/John Frankheimer collaboration seems interesting

7/25

Memorial tribute to Albert Finney.  Perhaps I will finally watch Tom Jones

7/26

You Can't Get Away with Murder.  A Bogart movie I haven't seen.

7/28 

Dead Reckoning.  It's interesting that the 7:00 slot is NOT repeating Thieves' Highway, the film scheduled in the Noir Alley slot.  Perhaps TCM could only air Thieves' Highway once?

7/30 & 7/31 wow.  Two showings of Star Wars.  I won't record it because we own the trilogy on Blu Ray, but seeing the opening and closing comments might be interesting. On 7/31, I like the pairing of Star Wars with Young Frankenstein. Perhaps Disney's relationship with TCM will open the doors to more Fox films airing on the channel?

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

July 30th is a premiere of Star Wars. :o I wonder how much that cost...

Does leasing something like STAR WARS limit the amount of other premieres they have in July and August? One big ticket item from Fox like STAR WARS might cost the same as four or five less expensive titles from Paramount.

• Like 1

Let's see:  Woman in the Moon, Rififi, Vampyr (at seven in the morning), Red Desert, Pigs and Battleships, Branded to Kill, Le Samourai, Swann in Love.  Would it have been so difficult to get Blade Runner?

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

July 30th is a premiere of Star Wars. :o I wonder how much that cost...

It is airing twice within 24 hours. On July 30 as part of TCM's Science Fiction Spotlight (I expect sci-fi is the subject of this year's online course in partnership with Ball State); then on July 31 as part of TCM's 'Salute to Fox'.

I am guessing that, similar to when TCM aired THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II one time only back in 2006, TCM's programmers are taking advantage of a limited window in which to license the film before another company obtains the long-term broadcast rights to the film.

Another snooze. Oh, well, I'm busy in the summer..........

10 hours ago, skimpole said:

Would it have been so difficult to get Blade Runner?

3 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

It is airing twice within 24 hours. On July 30 as part of TCM's Science Fiction Spotlight (I expect sci-fi is the subject of this year's online course in partnership with Ball State);

If the class is on Science Fiction films, and they aren't showing Blade Runner, then they've failed already. :( 

They got really lazy with TCM Underground in July. It's nearly all stuff that's played in the past few months:

July

• Rabid (1977), Dir: David Cronenberg - July 5
  • Another Son of Sam (1977), Dir: Dave Adams - July 12
  • Alone in the Dark (1982), Dir: Jack Sholder - July 12
  • Lifeforce (1985), Dir: Tobe Hooper - July 19
  • Invaders from Mars (1986), Dir: Tobe Hooper - July 19
  • Final Exam (1981), Dir: Jimmy Huston - July 26
  • Night School (1981), Dir: Ken Hughes - July 26

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

They got really lazy with TCM Underground in July. It's nearly all stuff that's played in the past few months:

July

• Rabid (1977), Dir: David Cronenberg - July 5
  • Another Son of Sam (1977), Dir: Dave Adams - July 12
  • Alone in the Dark (1982), Dir: Jack Sholder - July 12
  • Lifeforce (1985), Dir: Tobe Hooper - July 19
  • Invaders from Mars (1986), Dir: Tobe Hooper - July 19
  • Final Exam (1981), Dir: Jimmy Huston - July 26
  • Night School (1981), Dir: Ken Hughes - July 26

At least they didn't reschedule THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE again. :) 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Glad to see Glenn Ford honored.

screen-shot-2019-04-05-at-7.00.37-am.jpg

Overdue recognition, I think, considering the breadth of his work, including a few excellent films. (I wish SO ENDS OUR NIGHT had been included.0

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Overdue recognition, I think, considering the breadth of his work, including a few excellent films. (I wish SO ENDS OUR NIGHT had been included.

Glenn Ford was previously Star of the Month in June 1994 and also in November 2001. But it's nice to see him honored again. He made a lot of good movies.

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

At least they didn't reschedule THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE again. :) 

Yeah, or Mac and Me! 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If the class is on Science Fiction films, and they aren't showing Blade Runner, then they've failed already. :( 

They should show Tarkovsky's Stalker again if they're focusing on Sci Fi. I love that one.

• Like 1

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, or Mac and Me! 

I'm sure THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE and MAC AND ME will air again before Christmas.

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Does leasing something like STAR WARS limit the amount of other premieres they have in July and August? One big ticket item from Fox like STAR WARS might cost the same as four or five less expensive titles from Paramount.

Yeah, doesn't look like too many premieres for July. I imagine Star Wars was very expensive. 

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, doesn't look like too many premieres for July. I imagine Star Wars was very expensive. 

Wonder how many other films could have been shown for the expense of showing that film?

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wonder how many other films could have been shown for the expense of showing that film?

An educated guess? Probably three Billy Wilder "A" films from Paramount, or six "B" horror films from Universal would equal the cost of leasing STAR WARS from Fox.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

An educated guess? Probably three Billy Wilder "A" films from Paramount, or six "B" horror films from Universal would equal the cost of leasing STAR WARS from Fox.

I think the rights now belong to Disney since the takeover, which may be why it's being shown finally.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think the rights now belong to Disney since the takeover, which may be why it's being shown finally.

A few years ago I hosted a movie series at my local public library. I picked six films, one per month, spread out over six fall and winter months. It was something I wanted to try, to see if people would turn out to see the classics-- find other classic film fans, talk about good movies, etc.

When I sat down with the head librarian and went over my proposed list of films, I remember she told me I couldn't include LIFEBOAT (1944) because it was owned by Fox. She said every other American studio, except Fox, allowed movies to be shown free for educational purposes in a public library. So I ended up showing THE PHILADELPHIA STORY that month instead, since it was MGM (Time Warner) and we wouldn't have to pay a fee. But if I had chosen any film from Fox, we'd have to pay to screen it.

In this case, I agree with what you are saying, because if STAR WARS is now under Disney (no longer Fox) then it could be shown for educational purposes-- and they seem to be tying it in with the university course on the history of science fiction, which is educational.

However, they are also showing it the next evening as part of a salute to Fox, and that is not educational-related. So they probably did have to pay Disney something. And I'm sure it wasn't peanuts.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Glenn Ford was previously Star of the Month in June 1994 and also in November 2001. But it's nice to see him honored again. He made a lot of good movies.

Sorry, but I feel a major yawn coming on in July. And, once again, where the hell are the Joans (Blondell & Bennett??!!)

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Alone in the Dark (1982), Dir: Jack Sholder - July 12

I'd like to see this one again. I haven't seen it in many years since a VHS rental.

Hard to believe that it stars two great classic character actors (Jack Palance and Martin Landau) who would both become Oscar winners in 1990s. 

• Like 1

I like the July schedule. Someone has been looking at the TCM Programming Challenges, past and present.

I don't really care about Star Wars. Seems a shame if the cost is really so high compared to other films.

I remember working in the biz when Showtime played Star Wars for the first time. I don't know what year it was, but Showtime played it 4 times in one month.

I've seen the movie more than once. That is enough. Music is very good. Acting is blah.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark is superior.

3 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I'd like to see this one again. I haven't seen it in many years since a VHS rental.

Hard to believe that it stars two great classic character actors (Jack Palance and Martin Landau) who would both become Oscar winners in 1990s. 

Yes, it is a decent little "sleeper" of a horror film. Sholder also directed the excellent 1987 SF film The Hidden.

I like many of the movies being shown on Underground in July, it's just that most of them have aired recently. Alone in the Dark was on last September. The rest were on this year already, except for the Invaders from Mars remake, which will apparently be a TCM premiere, although it used to show up on various cable channels all the time.