speedracer5

July Schedule is Up! SOTM Glenn Ford

106 posts in this topic

Ford is one of those actors I like, but then don't like a lot of their movies.

Haven't found the list of Ford movies in July, but did notice that Affair in Trinidad is on July 8, 1:15 AM.  This is sort of a sequel to Gilda in that the same main actors are used again.  Personally I like it better than Gilda, which I watched again recently.

Another good one that apparently is not on the schedule is Plunder Under the Sun (1953).  It's based on a book by David Dodge which I read prior to seeing the movie.  Book is better, mostly because it contains more.  However I like the movie.  It was produced by John Wayne's company and filmed entirely in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cid, there are links to every day's programming in the OP. All the Glenn Ford movies are on Mondays.

I went through them last night. I believe there are 27 films, of which I've seen either 13 or 14. I honestly can't remember if I've seen Affair in Trinidad. I think I started it once maybe on a night it was on a double bill with Gilda.

I don't know the specifics, but Ford clearly had some sort of semi-exclusive contract in which he was shared by two studios, Columbia and MGM, a fairly rare arrangement, as far as I know. Almost all the films being shown are from that era. There's a very heavy focus on 1955-1964. I would have liked a little more of a career retrospective showcase, maybe one or two more pre-Gilda movies and one or two from 1968 or later (what about Superman: the Movie to have a memorable later Ford appearance? Not really a Ford movie, per se, he's in it for less than 10 minutes, but it's probably the first thing I ever saw him in). I've seen very early Ford performances Heaven is a Barbed Wire Fence and Go West, Young Lady on YouTube. Sorry neither of them is included. I've also seen The Lady in Question on YouTube, which TCM is showing. This is a fun little movie, the first Ford-Rita Hayworth pairing, in which we're unsure if she's a total innocent or a femme fatale until late in the film. Brian Aherne is a hoot.

I counted 14 MGMs, 10 Columbias and one each from Warner Bros., RKO and 20th Century Fox. Rage, I believe, is the only TCM premiere.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Cid, there are links to every day's programming in the OP. All the Glenn Ford movies are on Mondays.

I went through them last night. I believe there are 27 films, of which I've seen either 13 or 14. I honestly can't remember if I've seen Affair in Trinidad. I think I started it once maybe on a night it was on a double bill with Gilda.

I don't know the specifics, but Ford clearly had some sort of semi-exclusive contract in which he was shared by two studios, Columbia and MGM, a fairly rare arrangement, as far as I know. Almost all the films being shown are from that era. There's a very heavy focus on 1955-1964. I would have liked a little more of a career retrospective showcase, maybe one or two more pre-Gilda movies and one or two from 1968 or later (what about Superman: the Movie to have a memorable later Ford appearance? Not really a Ford movie, per se, he's in it for less than 10 minutes, but it's probably the first thing I ever saw him in). I've seen very early Ford performances Heaven is a Barbed Wire Fence and Go West, Young Lady on YouTube. Sorry neither of them is included. I've also seen The Lady in Question on YouTube, which TCM is showing. This is a fun little movie, the first Ford-Rita Hayworth pairing, in which we're unsure if she's a total innocent or a femme fatale until late in the film. Brian Aherne is a hoot.

I counted 14 MGMs, 10 Columbias and one each from Warner Bros., RKO and 20th Century Fox. Rage, I believe, is the only TCM premiere.

Thanks.  I accessed the monthly schedule, but that is way to time consuming.  Knowing they are all on Mondays helps a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a change to the schedule.

Originally Rita Moreno films were scheduled for the evening of July 7th. But she is now getting a full day in August.

So this means the primetime theme for the 7th has changed. It will now be a night focusing on John Gavin, with IMITATION OF LIFE (1959) followed by BACK STREET (1961).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Originally Rita Moreno films were scheduled for the evening of July 7th

Okay, my gosh, i knew I'd seen some Moreno films listed somewhere else before her late substitution into SOTM. But I couldn't remember where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, my gosh, i knew I'd seen some Moreno films listed somewhere else before her late substitution into SOTM. But I couldn't remember where.

Yes. I didn't realize this until I looked at one of my posts in the Primetime Themes thread. I saw that Moreno was originally scheduled for the 7th and figured they had put someone else on that night, since she has been upgraded to a Summer Under the Stars tribute.

So I checked the schedule and yup, it's now John Gavin.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Gavin must have been under contract to Universal during the height of his stardom, so it's cool any time TCM actually features someone from that studio. Although I see the night in question is only two films, before they move on to Silent Sunday Night and foreign films. They could have also have chosen to show Midnight Lace or Romanoff and Juliet, I suppose. Psycho, I don't know that I know the whole backstory. Officially released by Paramount I believe, but the rights moved over to Universal after the initial theatrical run? Something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Looks like Gavin must have been under contract to Universal during the height of his stardom, so it's cool any time TCM actually features someone from that studio. Although I see the night in question is only two films, before they move on to Silent Sunday Night and foreign films. They could have also have chosen to show Midnight Lace or Romanoff and Juliet, I suppose. Psycho, I don't know that I know the whole backstory. Officially released by Paramount I believe, but the rights moved over to Universal after the initial theatrical run? Something like that.

It's a John Gavin double feature. They picked two films where he has a leading role (he's supporting in PSYCHO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes. I understood that.

Also, Gavin died last year. But TCM didn't do anything to honor him. Their end of the year In Memoriam evening was dedicated to Burt Reynolds. So maybe they are trying to make up for the oversight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

(not much New, but a least they're acknowleging the genre )  :unsure:

====================================

July on TCM: It’s ‘Out of This World’ for sci-fi fans

 

".....Giant ants, pod people, trips to the moon, journeys back in time and close encounters with aliens both friend and foe. It’s a dream lineup for sci-fi movie fans.

We get all of that and more during the TCM Spotlight “Out of This World: A Celebration of Sci-Fi Movies” every Tuesday in July.

The series has 34 sci-fi films broken into weekly categories.

It starts July 2 with a night of early sci-fi films including the one considered to be the first in the genre: “A Trip to the Moon” by George Méliès.

July 9 is dedicated to films of the 1950s, a highly influential film decade that gave us such classics as “The Day the Earth Stood Still” and “It Came from Outer Space” (see photo, above).

July 16 is broken into two parts. Prime time is dedicated to “moon” movies in tribute to the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. Late night (or very early morning) programming screens some great creature features including a giant reptile named Ymir.

July 23 is all about the 1960s with films from directors George Pal and Stanley Kubrick.

July 30 goes into galactic travel with films from the 1970s and ‘80s that changed Hollywood – including a little movie called “Star Wars.”......

https://watchingforever.wordpress.com/2019/06/24/july-on-tcm-its-out-of-this-world-for-sci-fi-fans/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

 

(not much New, but a least they're acknowleging the genre )  :unsure:

====================================

July on TCM: It’s ‘Out of This World’ for sci-fi fans

 

".....Giant ants, pod people, trips to the moon, journeys back in time and close encounters with aliens both friend and foe. It’s a dream lineup for sci-fi movie fans.

We get all of that and more during the TCM Spotlight “Out of This World: A Celebration of Sci-Fi Movies” every Tuesday in July.

The series has 34 sci-fi films broken into weekly categories.

It starts July 2 with a night of early sci-fi films including the one considered to be the first in the genre: “A Trip to the Moon” by George Méliès.

July 9 is dedicated to films of the 1950s, a highly influential film decade that gave us such classics as “The Day the Earth Stood Still” and “It Came from Outer Space” (see photo, above).

July 16 is broken into two parts. Prime time is dedicated to “moon” movies in tribute to the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. Late night (or very early morning) programming screens some great creature features including a giant reptile named Ymir.

July 23 is all about the 1960s with films from directors George Pal and Stanley Kubrick.

July 30 goes into galactic travel with films from the 1970s and ‘80s that changed Hollywood – including a little movie called “Star Wars.”......

https://watchingforever.wordpress.com/2019/06/24/july-on-tcm-its-out-of-this-world-for-sci-fi-fans/

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 6.55.03 PM.png

They have moved a few films around on the schedule:

http://outofthisworld.tcm.com/content/uploads/2019/06/OOTW_2019Schedule.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the occasion is - it's not an anniversary year ending in 5 or 0 for either the founding of the studio by William Fox or of Darryl Zanuck merging it with his 20th Century Films - but TCM has a primetime tribute to Fox on July 24. Alas, the content isn't anything special - it's six Fox films that have all aired quite a few times on TCM - but it is pretty rare for TCM to air six Fox films in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know what the occasion is - it's not an anniversary year ending in 5 or 0 for either the founding of the studio by William Fox or of Darryl Zanuck merging it with his 20th Century Films - but TCM has a primetime tribute to Fox on July 24. Alas, the content isn't anything special - it's six Fox films that have all aired quite a few times on TCM - but it is pretty rare for TCM to air six Fox films in a row.

Yes, a good batch:

BRIGHT EYES (1934)
LAURA (1944)
ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)
GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (1947)
THE BLACK SWAN (1942)
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY (1965)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't know what the occasion is - it's not an anniversary year ending in 5 or 0 for either the founding of the studio by William Fox or of Darryl Zanuck merging it with his 20th Century Films - but TCM has a primetime tribute to Fox on July 24. Alas, the content isn't anything special - it's six Fox films that have all aired quite a few times on TCM - but it is pretty rare for TCM to air six Fox films in a row.

Wonder if this is some type of 'requirement' related to leasing the films.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wonder if this is some type of 'requirement' related to leasing the films.

When the Ford at Fox box set came out a number of years back, TCM made it one of their month's themes, which was cool, because i saw several Ford movies I'd never seen before, including Judge Priest and Drums Along the Mohawk. The intros/outros had a bit of a feel of an advertisement. I can't recall if Robert Osborne actually held up the box set, but he did mention it was available and mentioned before every film that it was being presented "courtesy of our friends at Fox". I wonder if TCM got to show those films for free in exchange for plugging the box set.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I wonder if TCM got to show those films for free in exchange for plugging the box set.

Nothing is free these days. But it would not offend me to see box sets advertised on TCM.

I'm not so surprised at STAR WARS broadcast on TCM. Disney doesn't give a hoot, their classic Disney animation is all they hold dear. And since the entire world has seen Star Wars a zillion times already, what is the value? I doubt it was all that expensive to rent these days....wonder what else is in the package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 8:01 AM, TikiSoo said:

And since the entire world has seen Star Wars a zillion times already, what is the value?

For me, personally, I just like the idea of TCM finally showing one of the most celebrated movies of all time. Like when TCM finally showed All about Eve and the first two Godfathers. It's why I hope someday they'll show The Sound of Music and It's a Wonderful Life. This is the ultimate source of classic films, and they should show the benchmarks when they're able. The fact that the movie can be seen elsewhere is, to me, beside the point. I think it gives both the network and the movie itself a little extra validation if TCM shows it.

Also, it's being shown in the specific context of a history of science fiction films, a retrospective that is including many others of the biggies of the genre. Therefore, I don't feel like it's exploitative or some kind of ratings grab.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

For me, personally, I just like the idea of TCM finally showing one of the most celebrated movies of all time. Like when TCM finally showed All about Eve and the first two Godfathers. It's why I hope someday they'll show The Sound of Music and It's a Wonderful Life. This is the ultimate source of classic films, and they should show the benchmarks when they're able. The fact that the movie can be seen elsewhere is, to me, beside the point. I think it gives both the network and the movie itself a little extra validation if TCM shows it.

Also, it's being shown in the specific context of a history of science fiction films, a retrospective that is including many others of the biggies of the genre. Therefore, I don't feel like it's exploitative or some kind of ratings grab.

I agree with your first sentence one thousand percent. I'd also like to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE finally air on TCM, even if it's off-season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

This is the ultimate source of classic films, and they should show the benchmarks when they're able.

OK I get it. Great point of view I completely missed.

I looked through next month's schedule and picked very few to watch, not because there's nothing good, just already seen them several times already.

Here's a few if you haven't seen, you should:

July 16th For All Mankind I found this documentary moving & beautiful

18th  What's Up Doc? - If you like screwball comedies, this Bogdanovich is fun mostly for both talented principles & costuming

21st Our Vines Have Tender Grapes- favorite sweet performance of Eddie G Robinson

6/23 Courtship of Eddies Father much better story than insipid TV show. My favorite part of this movie is fun-ny time capsule idea of "eligible bachelor". Love love love Shirley Jones who wasn't in enough good movies.

Dear Heart I loved this odd mid life crisis type story mostly because of the writing, situation and sweet performances.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

6/23 Courtship of Eddies Father much better story than insipid TV show. My favorite part of this movie is fun-ny time capsule idea of "eligible bachelor". Love love love Shirley Jones who wasn't in enough good movies.

I've never seen the TV Show, but I've seen this movie a few times.  I really enjoy it.  Ron Howard cracks me up in this movie. I like the scene where he's trying to help dad Glenn Ford call up neighbor Shirley Jones and ask her out.  Howard pretends to be Jones while telling Ford what to say. 

HOWARD as JONES answering the phone: Is there anything you want to ask me, my sugar man?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I agree with your first sentence one thousand percent. I'd also like to see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE finally air on TCM, even if it's off-season.

It's also like that with Miricle on 34th Street. I've never seen it on TCM, but it usually shows up every year on some other network with commercials.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, garovick said:

It's also like that with Miricle on 34th Street. I've never seen it on TCM, but it usually shows up every year on some other network with commercials.

Yes, another good example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us