Sign in to follow this  
noah80

Deanna Durbin

47 posts in this topic

Deanna Durbin should be featured in SUMMER UNDER THE STARS or SOTM

tcm1.png

Not a very good tribute of Deanna Durbin in 2013

TCM got lazy and selected scenes of Durbin as a beautiful woman in unsuccessful films (at least four scenes from Can't Help Singing) while ignoring her as an adolescent in successful films.  Only two hits were featured in the tribute It Started with Eve and It's a Date.

82e964e43b8f217a2426a22dc5bac205.gif

Three Smart Girls (1936)

• Like 3

Universal is the stumbling block.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Universal is the stumbling block.

TCM's budget is the stumbling block.

I'm sure NBC/Universal is willing to rent them out to TCM for a price.

Well, yes. Too expensive. But they can rent Star Wars........

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, yes. Too expensive. But they can rent Star Wars........

If Deanna Durbin had made half her films at MGM, Warners or RKO (titles in the Turner library) then it would much easier for TCM to give her a day in August. They could use all the titles they have, then put two or three Universal films into the primetime slots, with one of them maybe being a premiere.

But they are not going to do a whole day of Universal films, it would be too cost prohibitive (meaning there could be no other premieres during other days in August for other stars). And Deanna made all her movies at Universal.

When she died, there was no 24-hour memorial for her on TCM. They just aired one of her Universal films (IT STARTED WITH EVE) at the end of the year, grouped in with tributes for other stars who had passed away.

So while it would be nice for Deanna to get a day for Summer Under the Stars, the reality is that it will never happen on TCM. 

• Sad 1

Yes, I remember (when she died). So many Universal stars get no play on TCM. Deanna, Maria Montez, Yvonne DeCarlo etc.....

• Like 1

Ernest Borgnine, Cliff Robertson...just around the 'net in general; lack of attention. I wasn't on this site back then. But I'm still irked 'bout it

...and I still say all RIP threads should be placed in a 'section' of honor where respects can be paid and recollections shared.

Death notices ought not be bandied about in the common byways where folks discuss 'great undershirt scenes in movies'....its so crass!

4 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Ernest Borgnine, Cliff Robertson...just around the 'net in general; lack of attention. I wasn't on this site back then. But I'm still irked 'bout it

...and I still say all RIP threads should be placed in a 'section' of honor where respects can be paid and recollections shared.

Death notices ought not be bandied about in the common byways where folks discuss 'great undershirt scenes in movies'....its so crass!

There's a TCM Memorials sub-forum where people do post articles (mostly obits) and other items.

http://forums.tcm.com/forum/144-tcm-memorials/

Interesting. Hain't seen that before.  Ty. So I reiterate that the admins should just do a keyword search on the term 'RIP' and 'in topic header' and then select all' (on whatever comes up) and then move every RIP thread ...therein ...and thereunto and forthwith...its a groaner to stumble over them in 'General Discussions' the way things stand now

14 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Interesting. Hain't seen that before.  Ty. So I reiterate that the admins should just do a keyword search on the term 'RIP' and 'in topic header' and then select all' (on whatever comes up) and then move every RIP thread ...therein ...and thereunto and forthwith...its a groaner to stumble over them in 'General Discussions' the way things stand now

You can send a private message to the moderator to request they move the threads over there. I think that's a worthwhile idea, though the people who started those threads might get upset if they suddenly cannot locate them.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

It would also be nice to have an RIP thread for posters.

Now I'm talking about truly fatal mortalities, and not just being brain dead.

Oops, that might be something you would wish I posted in the more "crass" areas, right, Sgt. Markoff?

Mea culpa...and please excuse my sardonic comments.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

If Deanna Durbin had made half her films at MGM, Warners or RKO (titles in the Turner library) then it would much easier for TCM to give her a day in August. They could use all the titles they have, then put two or three Universal films into the primetime slots, with one of them maybe being a premiere.

But they are not going to do a whole day of Universal films, it would be too cost prohibitive (meaning there could be no other premieres during other days in August for other stars). And Deanna made all her movies at Universal.

When she died, there was no 24-hour memorial for her on TCM. They just aired one of her Universal films (IT STARTED WITH EVE) at the end of the year, grouped in with tributes for other stars who had passed away.

So while it would be nice for Deanna to get a day for Summer Under the Stars, the reality is that it will never happen on TCM. 

That's too bad.  TCM could help introducing her to a new audience.  I first became aware of Deanna in 2000 (from the Deanna Durbin Collection issued in the late 1990's on VHS).  

I read somewhere that her films were banned in Nazi Germany. I don't know if it was in the 1930's or during World War II when her films had a patriotic theme such as Nice Girl? (1941) and especially Hers to Hold (1943).  Or maybe Hitler just didn't like this cute kid!

mad.jpg

Mad About Music (1938)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, noah80 said:

That's too bad.  TCM could help introducing her to a new audience.  I first became aware of Deanna in 2000 (from the Deanna Durbin Collection issued in the late 1990's on VHS).  

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread, Deanna's not the only Universal star whose work seldom appears on TCM. Other Universal notables include Yvonne De Carlo, Audie Murphy, Jeff Chandler, Gloria Jean, Abbott & Costello, Julie Adams, Donald O'Connor, Tony Curtis and Rock Hudson.

Re: Hudson...TCM tends to show the three comedies he made with Doris Day, and maybe one or two of the melodramas he made with director Douglas Dirk. However, the reality is that Rock Hudson was under contract at Universal from 1949 to 1976, and he made dozens of hit films for the studio during that long period of time. Eighty-five percent of these films never air on TCM.

• Like 1

I would love to see Deanna selected as SOTM or a SUTS day, as well. I do like her grown up films, though.

You know, Universal has even blocked many of her film clips from YouTube!

Awhile back I got the TCM Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Collection at a used movie store.  It features: Something in the Wind, Can't Help Singing, First Love, It Started With Eve, Three Smart Girls, and Lady on a Train.  I picked this up for 'Train,' which I really enjoyed. I haven't seen the other films in the collection.

24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Awhile back I got the TCM Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Collection at a used movie store.  It features: Something in the Wind, Can't Help Singing, First Love, It Started With Eve, Three Smart Girls, and Lady on a Train.  I picked this up for 'Train,' which I really enjoyed. I haven't seen the other films in the collection.

I bought the same set, from Amazon, when I decided to review several of her films one month in the Essentials thread. They're all enjoyable. FIRST LOVE is my favorite, and I am also partial to CAN'T HELP SINGING since it's in Technicolor (her only color film).

SOMETHING IN THE WIND was made near the end of her career at Universal. You can see they were running out of ideas for her, but the musical selections are still good and she gets to costar with young Donald O'Connor.

• Like 1

This year marks the 80th anniversary of First Love (wow!)

Some of my favorite scenes from It Started with Eve (1941).  Winston Churchill was a big fan of Deanna Durbin.  So he must have gotten a big kick seeing the butler with a cigar looking a bit like him!

sq.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Thanks for posting and sharing this.

I remember watching "Christmas Holiday" on YouTube back in December based on comments from one of our fellow posters in another Deanna Durbin thread.  The picture came out in 1944 (a year before "Lady On A Train") and is set in New Orleans.  It co-starred Gene Kelly, Gale Sondergaard, and Gladys George, and I found it to be a pretty good movie.  It has never aired on TCM.

• Like 1

Just now, midwestan said:

I remember watching "Christmas Holiday" on YouTube back in December based on comments from one of our fellow posters in another Deanna Durbin thread.  The picture came out in 1944 (a year before "Lady On A Train") and is set in New Orleans.  It co-starred Gene Kelly, Gale Sondergaard, and Gladys George, and I found it to be a pretty good movie.  It has never aired on TCM.

Glad you mentioned this one. It's a favorite. 

TCM really does need to air it.

• Like 1

It was supposed to be on Noir Alley over the holidays but it was pulled!

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It was supposed to be on Noir Alley over the holidays but it was pulled!

Maybe it will be rescheduled.

screen-shot-2019-03-29-at-10.56.26-am.jp

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

SIGH. Like Lilac Time.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1