Sign in to follow this  
noah80

Deanna Durbin

45 posts in this topic

It's interesting that one DD's film career (Deanna) ended in 1948 while another DD's film career (Doris Day) began in 1948 (both actors nearly the same age)

france1.jpg

Deanna Durbin happy in France in 1958

• Like 2

Here's a very nice reply from Deanna Durbin to her fan in 1994.  She was definitely very aware of what was going on with her films in terms of what was available.  In 1995, the Deanna Durbin collection was issued on VHS. (Richard must have gotten the satisfactory results for his request at MCA-Universal!)

let.jpg

let3.jpg

tumblr-nz44k7-ZNu-I1qe4ru4o5-400.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Noah for sharing all these great pieces of "memorabilia" re: Deanna and her films.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Hibi said:

It was supposed to be on Noir Alley over the holidays but it was pulled!

Thanks for mentioning this, Hibi.  "Christmas Holiday" was on the TCM December schedule, but mysteriously disappeared.  You know, it would be impossible to figure it out, but it would be interesting to see a list of SBUY films on TCM.  Oh yeah...the initials stand for "Scheduled But Ultimately Yanked". 😭  I wonder how much programming time you could fill with movies that fall into this category...a week?  two weeks?  a month?

• Like 1

No reasons are ever given why the films were pulled either.

Reading the letter that Deanna wrote to a fan in the 1990s, I have to ask what she was referring to when she mentioned SPRING PARADE.

Was that film lost for awhile? Was it something that had never aired on television?

29 minutes ago, noah80 said:

A clip from Spring Parade in very poor quality.

"Thus all movies by Ms Durbin are owned by Universal except Spring Parade (1940) due to a rights dispute and It's a Date (1940) which was purchased by MGM to be remade as Nancy Goes to Rio in 1950."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews51/deanna_durbin_music_romance_collection.htm

About a year ago, I watched SPRING PARADE on YouTube. The full movie. I see it's not posted there now. But the one I saw was a fairly decent print. So it's floating around somewhere.

My hope is that Deanna did not forget to use her talents completely when she "retired".  Did she continue to sing for her local church on holidays and weddings?  Did  she help and instruct young singers with vocal lessons in her little town where she lived?  If anyone knows if she did I'd like to know. It would have been a great waste if she hadn't. In my mind I think she did continue to share her gifts in what ever small way she could.  May she rest in peace.

• Like 1

Let's hope that Deanna Durbin left Hollywood because she was not happy with Universal and not because she was afraid of a potential scandal about her personal life. (look what happened to Ingrid Bergman in 1950)

Joseph Cotten & Deanna Durbin – lovers or not?

https://filmstarfacts.com/2016/01/27/joseph-cotten-deanna-durbin-lovers-or-not/

Deanna’s first marriage, when she was 19, was to an assistant director named Vaughn Paul. It lasted just two years, from 1941 to 1943. The supposed affair with Joseph Cotten began on the set of Hers to Hold, in the same year her divorce came through. In June 1945, she married again, this time to 43 year-old producer – writer – director Felix Jackson, a reserved, quiet man she had been friends with for years. On 7 February, just seven and a half months after the wedding, Deanna gave birth to a daughter. Jackson stuck around for another six months before walking out on her and the baby. Deanna told the press that the separation happened out of ‘utter boredom’. Jackson never at any time showed an interest in the child, made no effort to contest custody, and filed for divorce in 1949. It has been suggested that Deanna married him purely to give her baby a name, that the father was, in fact, her lover of at least two years, Joseph Cotten.

Deanna’s divorce became final in October 1949. In December of 1950 she married for the third time, to 44 year-old French director Charles David. Their son was born seven months later, on 21 June 1951. These details provide nothing substantial to confirm or deny the alleged affair with Joe Cotten, but two pregnancies outside of wedlock do suggest that she was not quite as innocent as the image projected by her studio, Universal, but then who could be? If we discard the stories from Miss Hudson and her nursing friend as mere unsubstantiated hearsay, we are left with four viewpoints to choose from, if we wish to arrive at the truth.

First, we have Hedda Hopper’s column. In fairness to this much-maligned (and rightly so) woman, she employed an army of informants and, much like Walter Winchell, her opposite number in New York, she usually made damn sure of her facts before she published anything. Even when Cotten threatened her, she did not back down, hence the boot in the backside. Second, we have Cotten’s own story, one that is at complete odds with hers. There was no funny business that night nor, presumably, at any other time, if we are to believe him. Third, there is his friend Orson Welles. He was quite matter of fact about the whole thing. He had no known axe to grind and seemed totally unperturbed about any kind of adverse response from Cotten. And finally, we have Deanna. She flatly refused to say anything, write anything, confirm or deny anything. Not then. Not ever. How significant her quite sudden retirement to France was is open to debate.

tumblr-owi1i0-Ri-Ta1v7xjnoo2-500.gif

an explanation from DEANNA DURBIN DEVOTEES:

"An actress by the name of Hedda Hopper alleged that Deanna Durbin had an affair with Joseph Cotten. However, the accusation was completely untrue. What brought about the rumour was that both Cotten and Deanna stayed overnight at the studio without the other one knowing, only to realize it when they met the next morning at the studio cafeteria. Cotten was so outraged at Hopper's deceit that he kicked her chair out from underneath her just as she was about to sit down at a Hollywood function!"

http://www.deannadurbindevotees.com/t58-hers-to-hold

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, noah80 said:

It's a Date with Deanna Durbin in 1940

All seats: 40 cents

gettyimages-3240055-1024x1024.jpg

Look at how people dressed up to go to the movies in those days. It was an event.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Deanna attended one of Judy Garland's concerts in London during the early 1960's and went backstage to meet with her afterward and remarked "I can't believe you're still doing this for a living."

Don't know if that actually happened.

My all time favorite scene from It Started with Eve (1941)

Deanna Durbin passed away in April 2013 (just a few days after the Boston Marathon bombing).  The media got the news of her death in May 2013.

4394414639827058464.jpg

tumblr-nz44nyjfz-J1qe4ru4o2-250.gif

tumblr-nz44nyjfz-J1qe4ru4o3-400.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noah80 said:

My all time favorite scene from It Started with Eve (1941)

4394414639827058464.jpg

Love how spacious the Universal studio sets were.

5 minutes ago, noah80 said:

They were going for that Citizen Kane effect

Yes I think so. Definitely "A" budget set design. And this was only one room of that house!

The bedroom where Charles Laughton was supposedly dying was equally huge.