Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovies_fan_chick

Happy 25 TCM! Celebrating the Turner Classic Movies channel a quarter of a century later

43 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, TopBilled said:

I don't see it as a can of worms. And I don't think you're correct in saying that TCM has stayed the same. It's evolved.

But I do think it's worth reminding people that TCM has always tried to include newer classics. It doesn't allow itself to get pigeonholed. Classic film is not defined by the studio era, or even by the 20th century. There is no specific set of years when a classic can be made.

Everything you say in the second paragraph is true as it relates to TCM: So I'm curious related to programming (i.e. the films TCM shows or doesn't show),   where TCM has evolved.

Note that I don't view TCM not-evolving as a negative.   Their mission statement from the get-go was solid and thus didn't need to evolve.

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Everything you say in the second paragraph is true as it relates to TCM: So I'm curious related to programming (i.e. the films TCM shows or doesn't show),   where TCM has evolved.

Note that I don't view TCM not-evolving as a negative.   There mission statement from the get-go was solid and thus didn't need to evolve.

One place that they've changed was the addition of TCM Underground, which I appreciate, but many do not. I'm not sure how long the other niche-program spotlights have been around, such as TCM Imports, Silent Sundays, and Noir Alley, but I think they are all additions, and not part of the original lineup. If I'm wrong on that, please correct it, whoever knows.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that I don't view TCM not-evolving as a negative.   There mission statement from the get-go was solid and thus didn't need to evolve.

So it seems are you saying TCM hasn't evolved, since the mission was clearly defined and for the most part it's remained consistent? That may be true to some extent, but how they're carrying out TCM's mission has evolved.

TCM's evolved by increasing the amount of advertising between movies. They are now offering a lot of extra-filmic lifestyle related products for viewers, and they have used some on-air hosts and guests to push that. And although the mission hasn't changed, the content has changed a bit.

They've added more post-code films from the 70s and 80s, especially ones they are branding as Underground titles, which to be honest feels broadly applied.

They have stopped playing some studio era films in the TCM library they used to play. We can look at MovieCollector's data to confirm this...and I don't mean politically incorrect films, or films that suddenly developed legal rights issues...but a group of MGM, RKO and Warner Brothers B films have fallen out of rotation. 

Probably certain films fall out of favor with the programmers if they don't mesh with proposed themes or priorities of the programming department.

Another change is the extended wraparounds. I looked at the wraparounds in TCM's media room that Anderson Cooper did with Ben recently for the Journalism series. Some of those ran up to 7 minutes. That means there is now more talk before and after the movies.

With the extended wraparounds plus the wine promos and other advertising, they are showing less films per day now. I haven't done the math on that. And I'm sure there are days on the schedule where a lot of titles are aired, but I bet if we did a random sample for a week in 2019 with a random sample for a week in 2009, we'd see that less minutes are being devoted to the showing of films per day. And if I'm right about that, there will probably be more ads and more talk between movies, so that ten years from now there will be fewer movies shown. 

More and more of the "B" films get stripped away, then eventually some of the "A" films with lesser known stars or subject matter get taken out of the mix...to where it's a certain tried and true batch of Oscar-nominated titles with household names. These become the classics that are used to prop up conversations during TCM primetime. Conversations that are geared more to lifestyle and political concerns.

So even if the mission hasn't changed, the way they are carrying out the mission is certainly evolving and will continue to evolve.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, calvinnme said:

Old article from the Baltimore Sun written on October 31, 1993 about Turner Classic Movies.

AMC is not cowed by the big new kid. Says Kate McEnroe, AMC's general manager: "The Turner people tend to be a bit hyperbolic. We don't really see them as a challenger."

....NAWWWWWW. :D  Even without Warner, MGM, UA, New Line or RKO, there's still enough Fox and Universal to keep a channel going with!   

Just imagine the Jaws/Blues Brothers/Omen/Exorcist programming blocks!  Cleopatra, hey, there's four hours right there!

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

TCMVerified account @tcm 14m14 minutes ago

As we celebrate the 25th anniversary of TCM which was born on this day in 1994,

we want to know your favorite film from the year you were born.

Oh, from the year I was born!  Thought it said "Favorite film from '94", and it's amazing how many Millennial, quote-fingers, "classics" from 1994 I can't physically stand to watch.  The Lion King makes me want to throw something at the screen in the hope I'll hit Linda Woolverton or Jeffrey Katzenberg, we watched Forrest Gump not realizing how bat-house nutty Robert Zemeckis would later become, and "The Majestic" has scared me out of watching anything Frank Darabont directed after Shawshank.  At least we admitted he was a One-Hit Wonder, but that Quentin Tarantino still had a rich career waiting for him after Pulp Fiction.  

(Me, I remember 1994 for two guilty-pleasure cult-favorites, and I had to check IMDb for the year on those: )

sfm-top.jpgMV5BMTBmYmNhNzEtYmI4Zi00Y2ExLTgyYTEtNDI0

As for my favorite film of, ahem......196👴, I'll gladly pick Mary Poppins over Dr. Strangelove.

11 minutes ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

Now, we see the one of the films which launched TCM all those years ago: Gone with the Wind!

The VERY first film to be aired EXACTLY on this date back in 1994!

It was neat seeing Robert Osborne and his first introduction.  He looks so young too!  I vaguely remember TCM in its early days.  I was a couple months shy of 10 when it premiered.  When TCM started, it was added to my parents' Extended Cable package.  I used to watch it here and there, mostly when they aired Lucille Ball movies, but I would catch other films as well.  After a few years, TCM moved to a higher tiered cable package than my parents were willing to pay for, so I lost access to it.  I used to try and watch it through the scrambled imagery, but it wasn't the same.  Does everyone remember this? The sound would be intact, but the image was messed up. So I had to get my classic movie fix through video rental, the library, and AMC.

pR5KZFy.gif 

I'll admit that I just put another movie (The Unfaithful) in the DVD player.  I didn't really feel like watching Gone With the Wind.  I may pop back in later when It Happened One Night starts.  I enjoy that film.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

One place that they've changed was the addition of TCM Underground, which I appreciate, but many do not. I'm not sure how long the other niche-program spotlights have been around, such as TCM Imports, Silent Sundays, and Noir Alley, but I think they are all additions, and not part of the original lineup. If I'm wrong on that, please correct it, whoever knows.

I can't remember that far back either if TCM had niche-programming spotlights (series) during their first 3 or so years.   But clearly there is more of this type of programming in recent years then there was,  say, 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

good question........I'd like to know too :)

(is that WHY no silent or import today??)

:huh:

16 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

good question........I'd like to know too :)

(is that WHY no silent or import today??)

:huh:

I wondered if that was the reason, as well.

1 hour ago, ClassicMovies_fan_chick said:

The 100 Years of Movies mini documentary just what we need to celebrate TCM 25 years!

I secretly wished for the past few years that in 2019 they would add on to that mini doc to make it "125 years of movies."

21 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I secretly wished for the past few years that in 2019 they would add on to that mini doc to make it "125 years of movies."

In What is Cinema? (2013) Chuck Workman--in trying to show how "cheap" and "commercial" 90's-00's Hollywood films were, compared to bold indie filmmakers like David Lynch and Michael Moore!  😓 --does a brief TCM-style montage of 100YoM-worthy iconic shots from recent new-classics, like Jack meeting Rose on the steps from "Titanic", Harry's first Quidditch game from "Sorcerer's Stone", smoldering teen romance from "Twilight", and Aragorn receiving his crown at the end of "LOTR: Return of the King"

It's supposed to be a bad thing, you see, but since Workman never made a movie look bad in his life, it's just one more reason WHY we need a TCM 125 Years of Movies, just like we got an updated AFI 100 list.

• Thanks 1

Happy 25th Anniversary to everybody at TCM.  Robert Osbourne.  We all wish you were here for this.  You would have been so proud.  We all miss you and love you so much buddy.  Ben Mainkawitz.  Dave Karger.  Alicia Malone.  Lenoared Malton.  Eddie Muller.  Scott McGee.  Gary Freedman.  Ted Turner and all the special guest hosts.  I will really look forward to coming to the TCM Classic Film Festival and on the TCM Classic Cruise and really enjoying myself and meeting you all very soon.  I can’t wait.  Here’s to many more years of TCM.  Keep it going everybody.  I just love it.

• Like 4

I've been lucky enough to have TCM from day one. I've lived in two places since TCM came on the air - Prince William Virginia the first year it was airing and now Spotsylvania Virginia for the last 24 years. Until Robert Osborne was about 75 he wouldn't just do wrap arounds for the first three movies in primetime, he would pretty much be  introducing the films all night long.  Plus he was the weekend host until about 2004 when Ben came along, and he did all of the "Private Screenings" from 1995 until 2010. I believe he did an entire month of interviewing guest hosts in November 2007. He seemed to be a man of boundless energy until he approached 80. I guess it came from loving what you do.

Speaking of AMC, I have a few tapes turned to DVDs from their airings in the late 90s. They did several goofy things trying to compete with Turner and one of them was pop up these annoying question balloons about the film while it was playing. I was really grateful to have AMC before TCM came along. It was great to turn on AMC in the middle of the afternoon and grab "Palmy Days", but AMC just seemed to never have that touch of class that TCM had from the very beginning. Still, when they went to the modern format, we lost access to many early Universals and Paramounts that have not had a home since then.

• Like 1

Will they be showing GWTW (Gone with the Wind) by the end on this month once again?

Really, it made a lasting impression on the TCM channel.

P.S. Back then if anyone wanted to watch GWTW you had to have a VHS copy or watch it on commercial TV. 

My pick: 

WAITING FOR GUFFMAN (1996) 

Image result for waiting for guffman

Boy, what a cast. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, LawrenceA said:

hamradio was kind enough to post an old TCM schedule document from January 1995 in the 'Thank You TCM for the 25th Anniversary flashback Intros!!! ' thread, so you can see the weekly shows that were presented in the early days of the channel (times are ET):

Syncopation Station - Musical Classics (Sat. at 11am)

Film Preservation Showcase - Restored Classics (Sat. at 3pm)

Make 'Em Laugh - Comedy Classics (Sat. at 5pm)

Darkness After Dawn - Film Noir and Mystery Classics (Sun. at 9am)   (Noir Alley precursor!)

Silent Sundays - Silent Classics (Sun. after 12 midnight)

All Week at 5 - A different classic theme each week (Weekdays at 5pm)

So it appears that Silent Sunday Nights has been there in some form from the beginning, but no TCM Underground, Essentials, or TCM Imports.

Thanks very much to hamradio for posting this example!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

My pick: 

WAITING FOR GUFFMAN (1996) 

Boy, what a cast. 

"And I'm goin' home and I'm gonna, I'm gonna bite my pillow..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1