Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Thank You TCM for the 25th Anniversary flashback Intros!!!

24 posts in this topic

Tonight TCM rolled out a 25th Anniversary surprise, Flashback Essentials Intros!

This is something I've been hoping would happen for a long time!

First up David Letterman and Alec Baldwin from May 2017 Introducing EAST OF EDEN.

So cool to see again!  Wish they would do this type of thing more often.

Thanks again TCM!!!

Yancey

• Like 5

Since we're looking back, had these for quite some time.  The original site where these came from were huge TIF images. Enjoy.

dwxgur.jpg

2s92f4k.jpg

2zp82dk.jpg

• Thanks 6

It was keen to see Robert Osborne performing the original intro and outro for "Gone With the Wind" on TCM's opening night broadcast.  I noticed a lot more camera movement and use of multiple cameras with his intros than what they do now.  Anyway, I have a TCM historical question: "Gone With the Wind" was the first movie shown on TCM.  What was the second movie shown on TCM?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

It was keen to see Robert Osborne performing the original intro and outro for "Gone With the Wind" on TCM's opening night broadcast.  I noticed a lot more camera movement and use of multiple cameras with his intros than what they do now.  Anyway, I have a TCM historical question: "Gone With the Wind" was the first movie shown on TCM.  What was the second movie shown on TCM?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.

As you alluded to, Ben Mankiewicz joked after the presentation that as a commentary before the movie is called the intro, at TCM they refer to the afternotes as the "out-tro"; during his comments after GWTW, Robert Osborne exactly 25 years before this reairing had mentioned the irony (SPOILER ALERT) that while Olivia de Havilland's character was the only one of the four leads to die in the movie, she was the only one of those four stars still living at that airing a quarter of a century ago, and was probably watching at that time. Isn't it interesting that that is still the case, and Olivia may have even been watching again last night at age 102. I expected Ben to mention that. Also quite sad as Robert had mentioned that Leslie Howard was the only major cast member who didn't live long enough to know how iconic the movie would become, dying about three and a half years after its release when the plane he was in was shot down by the Luftwaffe. And Robert also mentioned one other thing very much worth repeating, that although he never met Clark Gable, he did on a couple of occasions get to meet Vivien Leigh, and one of those times, backstage at a stage play she was doing, she had just said goodbye to one of the extras from GWTW who was paying her a respectful visit after seeing the play. Vivien said to Robert "'Gone With the Wind'...that did turn out to be a good movie, didn't it?" To which Robert said in his out-tro to us, also answering Vivien likely watching down from above, "Yes, Vivien, it sure did."

There's a certain someone out there who has my email address and my mailing address, which I don't give out to just anyone, and it would be nice to hear back.

Here's to TCM's next 25. http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-beer.gif 

(I'm more of a beer kinda guy, but I won't object if you sit next to me and have a wine.)

3 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

Here, from an old thread from years ago. Before GWTW, there was a little short called 100 years at the Movies, which reaired right after the film ended. This is the rest of their first few days.  Note that all the April 14, 1994 films aired last night save Sinin' in the Rain, which aired a night before, April 13, 2019.

After GONE WITH THE WIND on April 14 they ran

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) plus deleted musical number "You Are My Lucky Star".

"100 Years at the Movies" repeated.

GONE WITH THE WIND repeated.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN repeated.

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

THE PETRIFIED FOREST (1936)

THE CAT PEOPLE (1942)

Friday, April 15, 1994:

THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR (1936)

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946)

THE INFORMER (1935)

THE PIRATE (1948)

CITIZEN KANE (1941)

CEILING ZERO (1935)

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950)

Greta Garbo trailers.

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - English language version.

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - German language version.

ANNA KARENINA (1935)

LOVE (1927) plus alternate ending.

"MGM Parade" #30 - Greta Garbo.

"MGM Parade" #31 - Greta Garbo.

THE SINGLE STANDARD (1929)

AS YOU DESIRE ME (1931)

Hollywood themed shorts.

Saturday, April 16, 1994:

PETTICOAT FEVER (1936)

THREE LOVES HAS NANCY (1938)

SMILIN' THROUGH (1932)

EASY TO WED (1946)

EASY TO LOVE (1953)

BABY FACE (1933)

BEAUTY AND THE BOSS (1932)

A SOUTHERN YANKEE (1948)

ADAM'S RIB (1949)

RICH AND FAMOUS (1981)

OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943)

THE OLD MAID (1939)

JUAREZ (1939)

Historical shorts.

Sunday, April 17, 1994:

APRIL SHOWERS (1948)

ENCHANTED APRIL (1935)

LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1948)

CASTLE ON THE HUDSON (1940)

RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music.

GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) Complete Road Show version with Overture, Intermission and Exit music.

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)

YOUNG BESS (1953)

IVANHOE (1952)

THE CAMERAMAN (1928)

SPITE MARRIAGE (1929)

THE COMIC (1969)

Monday, April 18, 1994:

PANAMA HATTIE (1942)

MAISIE (1939)

PROFESSIONAL SWEETHEART (1933)

IN PERSON (1935)

THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING (1953)

THE AMBUSHERS (1967)

WRECKING CREW (1968)

MISS SADIE THOMPSON (1953)

THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN (1949)

MY FAVORITE YEAR (1982)

Errol Flynn trailers and shorts.

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (1936)

ESCAPE ME NEVER (1947)

GREEN LIGHT (1937)

ANOTHER DAWN (1937)

Tuesday, April 19, 1994:

SMART BLONDE (1936)

CONGO MAISIE (1940)

SMART GIRLS DON'T TALK (1948)

THE GIRL FROM JONES BEACH (1949)

TUNNEL OF LOVE (1958)

A PRIZE OF GOLD (1955)

SUMMER WISHES, WINTER DREAMS (1973)

YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH (1941)

BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST (1941)

Shorts/trailers.

WOMAN OF THE YEAR (1942)

MAYTIME (1937)

SWEETHEARTS (1938)

THE GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1938)

Western/musical shorts.

Wednesday, April 20, 1994:

FLY-AWAY BABY (1937)

Shorts.

GOLD RUSH MAISIE (1940)

THE PERFECT SPECIMEN (1937)

BLONDIE JOHNSON (1933)

TORCH SONG (1953)

THE LAW AND THE LADY (1951)

CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY (1951)

FIRE DOWN BELOW (1957)

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)

DAVID COPPERFIELD (1935)

ROMEO AND JULIET (1936)

PRIVATE LIVES (1931)

TRIAL OF MARY DUGAN (1929)

MGM 1925 Studio Tour.

Thursday, April 21, 1994:

ADVENTUROUS BLONDE (1937)

Shorts.

MAISIE WAS A LADY (1941)

THE DOUGHGIRLS (1944)

THE FOOTLOOSE HEIRESS (1937)

TOO YOUNG TO KISS (1951)

HIGH BARBAREE (1947)

TEXAS CARNIVAL (1951)

YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942)

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)

MAYERLING (1968)

RASPUTIN AND THE EMPRESS (1932)

DEVIL MAY CARE (1929)

CALL OF THE FLESH (1930)

Friday, April 22, 1994:

BLONDES AT WORK (1938)

Shorts.

RINGSIDE MAISIE (1941)

STALLION ROAD (1947)

THE DECISION OF CHRISTOPHER BLAKE (1948)

THE GAY SISTERS (1942)

EXPRIMENT PERILOUS (1944)

THE LEOPARD MAN (1943)

GILDA (1946)

DR. STRANGELOVE (1963)

LOLITA (1962)

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1948)

THE RUNNING MAN (1963)

THE KEY (1958)

Shorts.

Saturday, April 23, 1994:

TRAIL OF '98 (1928)

AFRICA ADVENTURE (1954)

MOGAMBO (1953)

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948)

THE TIME, THE PLACE AND THE GIRL (1946)

DR. X (1932)

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940)

Short: JIMMY FIDLER'S PERSONALITY PARADE (1938)

Jean Harlow/Clark Gable trailers.

RED DUST (1932)

HOLD YOUR MAN (1933)

CHINA SEAS (1935)

THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956)

FAT CITY (1972)

THE SET-UP (1949)

Boxer shorts.

Sunday, April 24, 1994:

THE HATCHET MAN (1932)

DESTROYER (1943)

LADY IN THE LAKE (1946)

THE CASE OF THE VELVET CLAWS (1936)

1776 (1972)

SCARLET COAT (1955)

GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE (1942)

CIRCUS CLOWN (1934)

MERRY ANDREW (1958)

JUMBO (1962)

WAGONS ROLL AT NIGHT (1941)

FREAKS (1932)

HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924)

O'SHAUGNESSY'S BOY (1935)

• Thanks 5

So it looks like RICH AND FAMOUS (1981), which happened to be the last film George Cukor directed, was the first post-code or non-studio era movie that TCM broadcast.

Just now, TopBilled said:

So it looks like RICH AND FAMOUS (1981), which happened to be the last film George Cukor directed, was the first post-code or non-studio era movie that TCM broadcast.

And there were also a few other titles like that in those early days: 1969's The Comic [Columbia], 1982's My Favorite Year [MGM], Summer Wishes Winter Dreams [1973;Columbia], Nicholas and Alexandra [1971;Columbia], Fat City [1972, Columbia], and 1776 [1972;Columbia]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

And there were also a few other titles like that in those early days: 1969's The Comic [Columbia], 1982's My Favorite Year [MGM], Summer Wishes Winter Dreams [1973;Columbia], Nicholas and Alexandra [1971;Columbia], Fat City [1972, Columbia], and 1776 [1972;Columbia]

I think they had a partnership with Sony in the beginning, because a lot of Columbia Pictures films were shown in those early years. So it was everything Turner acquired in the MGM/UA library from 1925 to 1986 (including RKO and Warner Brothers releases), plus Columbia. 

It would be interesting to see when the first Fox film aired on TCM, the first Paramount film and the first Universal film. Also, how long did it take for them to show movies beyond 1986.

Just now, TopBilled said:

I think they had a partnership with Sony in the beginning, because a lot of Columbia Pictures films were shown in those early years. So it was everything Turner acquired in the MGM/UA library from 1925 to 1986 (including RKO and Warner Brothers releases), plus Columbia. 

It would be interesting to see when the first Fox film aired on TCM, the first Paramount film and the first Universal film. Also, how long did it take for them to show movies beyond 1986.

Looking at moviecollector's database of titles rarely seen, there was a jerry Lewis title from Paramount in April of 1994, The Geisha Boy . A pre merger Fox title called Black Sheep aired once in February of 1995. I'm having trouble finding a title from Universal at this point although i see some that aired in the late 90s [like Airport 1975 in 1997.] And Akira Kurosawa's final film Maadadayo made in 1993 aired in January 2000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I think they had a partnership with Sony in the beginning, because a lot of Columbia Pictures films were shown in those early years.

Apparently in those early years TCM had an extremely rare screening of the Wheeler and Woolsey film, SO THIS IS AFRICA (1933). Made at Columbia it was the only feature the pair shot outside of RKO.

They are having a Wheeler and Woolsey morning this month but that one is not on the list. This is a title TCM definitely needs to dust off and show again.

Yancey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Apparently in those early years TCM had an extremely rare screening of the Wheeler and Woolsey film, SO THIS IS AFRICA (1933). Made at Columbia it was the only feature the pair shot outside of RKO.

They are having a Wheeler and Woolsey morning this month but that one is not on the list. This is a title TCM definitely needs to dust off and show again.

Yancey

Yup.  I'm looking forward to that W&W block myself.  I just scheduled that on my DVR about a couple days ago, and it goes out 13 days at the most.

15 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

There's a certain someone out there who has my email address and my mailing address, which I don't give out to just anyone, and it would be nice to hear back.

I hope you're not referring to me- I looked through my archive of Now Playing and found all my earliest ones had been discarded. I thought it was a complete set, but unfortunately recall cutting photos out of pre 2000 copies (sorry)

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I hope you're not referring to me- I looked through my archive of Now Playing and found all my earliest ones had been discarded. I thought it was a complete set, but unfortunately recall cutting photos out of pre 2000 copies (sorry)

Hi, no not you.  I probably shouldn't have posted that here.  B)

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Looking at moviecollector's database of titles rarely seen, there was a jerry Lewis title from Paramount in April of 1994, The Geisha Boy . A pre merger Fox title called Black Sheep aired once in February of 1995. I'm having trouble finding a title from Universal at this point although i see some that aired in the late 90s [like Airport 1975 in 1997.] And Akira Kurosawa's final film Maadadayo made in 1993 aired in January 2000.

This is very difficult information to get for sure, the most difficult in fact.  Nevertheless there will be a bit more info to come, which I will incorporate and also post. 

Unless the scheduling dept has a complete copy and those exact stats buried away, I can tell you that there are other people at TCM who don't, or didn't think so a couple years ago.  I'll just leave it at that.\

The only intent of my project is to be able to summarize movies scheduled/played and some numeric stats.  Further analysis on that/picking Mr. Tabesh's brain (and for God knows what reason I might add) is considered "derivative" and not included. :D

• Thanks 1

I had a chance to look directly at my database.  You are right about the first Fox Film Corp entry.

first Universal
1994-07   It's A Date (1940)

first Paramount
1994-08   The Perils Of Pauline (1947)

I am waiting those first months to come in, which might change things a bit.  Or not.

In my DB, there were only two airings of Geisha Boy, both in 1997-04.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I had a chance to look directly at my database.  You are right about the first Fox Film Corp entry.

first Universal

first Paramount

I am waiting those first months to come in, which might change things a bit.  Or not.

In my DB, there were only two airings of Geisha Boy, both in 1997-04.

Perils of Pauline is public domain. I wonder which was the first Paramount with rights still retained by Paramount to air on TCM?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

first Universal

first Paramount

IT'S A DATE is in the Turner library. MGM bought the rights from Universal when they did the remake with Jane Powell (NANCY GOES TO RIO).

THE PERILS OF PAULINE is in the public domain so that's why TCM aired it.

But what about the first time TCM aired a Universal film and a Paramount film where they had to pay to rent something outside the Turner library...that's what we're interested in knowing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Perils of Pauline is public domain. I wonder which was the first Paramount with rights still retained by Paramount to air on TCM?

I'd also like to know the first film that was aired on TCM, produced in the year 2000 or beyond.

I bet it was as early as 2003 or 2004 when TCM first broadcast something made in the 21st century.

20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

IT'S A DATE is in the Turner library. MGM bought the rights from Universal when they did the remake with Jane Powell (NANCY GOES TO RIO).

THE PERILS OF PAULINE is in the public domain so that's why TCM aired it.

But what about the first time TCM aired a Universal film and a Paramount film where they had to pay to rent something outside the Turner library...that's what we're interested in knowing.

Okay nevermind.  I didn't think of that.

2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Okay nevermind.  I didn't think of that.

You did fine. Sorry if it wasn't clear to you.

We appreciate your hard work with all that data you provide.

I just was wondering when they first went outside the Turner library. They had a partnership with Sony for the Columbia films. But when did they start showing Paramount and Universal films that required some extra budget.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You did fine. Sorry if it wasn't clear to you.

We appreciate your hard work with all that data you provide.

I just was wondering when they first went outside the Turner library. They had a partnership with Sony for the Columbia films. But when did they start showing Paramount and Universal films that required some extra budget.

Yeah that's outside the scope of what I keep track of.  Two doors down the hallway that way.  Tell 'em Moviecollector sent you.

• Haha 1