Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

36 posts in this topic

As one can easily find out on the internet, these are the movies that won the most Academy Awards:

Ben Hur, Titanic, The Lord of the Rings:  the Return of the King  11

West Side Story  10

Gigi, The Last Emperor, The English Patient  9

This leads to my question:  which movie should have won the most oscars?  Try to confine yourself to categories that actually existed in the year the movie was nominated. 

Well, GONE WITH THE WIND won a pile of Oscars but I think one loss was undeserved. Max Steiner should have gotten the award for Best Original Score instead of Herbert Stothart for THE WIZARD OF OZ. OZ was really an adaptation score. Maybe Max's votes were split between WIND and DARK VICTORY but, nevertheless WIND should have been the winner. Tough, though, with Copland's OF MICE AND MEN also in the running. Frankly, the nominations were screwy that year as there were original scores nominated for Scoring and adaptation scores nominated for Original score. Oh well.

As for Clark Gable, he was great but I can see where Robert Donat deserved the Best Actor prize that year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

As for Clark Gable, he was great but I can see where Robert Donat deserved the Best Actor prize that year.

Donat was wonderful but it makes me cringe that Laughton did not get an Oscar nomination for Hunchback of Notre Dame. My own AA for 1939 would have gone to him, even if he does, admittedly, have limited screen time in the film. It was a great year for performances.

• Thanks 2

Of course, the question is "What MOVIE should have won the most Oscars?" and NOT; "WHO should have won an Oscar INSTEAD OF....?" 

Sepiatone

'Ben-Hur' (Wyler) --even though its raft of Oscars was criticized-- I still think that should have been left untouched to rein supreme. Nothing since, seems to remotely match it in terms of Oscar-stature. Certainly, codswallop like 'Titanic' [or even worse], fetid reeking baby-diapers like 'LOTR' should never have been nominated --much less won --for as many as they did. It's a disgrace to speak of them in the same breath as the era which gave us William Wyler.

• Like 2

The films that win the most Oscars are going to have to demonstrate excellence in a variety of categories. 

Currently there are 25 competitive categories. But can one film have 25 wins? Also, let's say there's a tie and the tie occurs with people who worked on the same film, is that considered a double win?

BEST PICTURE 
BEST ACTRESS
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM (can winner for this category also win Best Picture?)
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE (can winner also win Best Picture?)
BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM (can winner also win Best Picture?)
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM (can winner also win Best Picture?)
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE (can winner also win Best Picture?)
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT (can winner also win Best Picture?)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST ORIGINAL STORY (can winner also win for Best Original Screenplay?)
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
BEST SOUND EDITING
BEST SOUND MIXING
BEST ART DIRECTION
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST FILM EDITING
BEST MAKEUP
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

I'd go with "A Passage To India", which seems to get better and better year by year.

• Like 1

Well I suppose the only way to do this is go through each ceremony by year:

1927-1928:

Most nominations:  7th Heaven (five)

Most awards:  7th Heaven, Sunrise (three)

My choice for most nominations:  The Passion of Joan of Arc (six)

Most awards:  The Passion of Joan of Arc (four:  picture, actress, adaptation, title writing)

Does the actual best picture that year get everything:  Yes.  (Wings gets Best Engineering Effects, Sunrise best art direction and original story.)

I think I can beat four in the future.

Well, all I can say here is that my favorite film of all time, The Best Years of Our Lives, in addition to winning 7 competitive Oscars (in addition to 2 honorary ones), should have at least had its cinematographer, the great Gregg Toland, nominated in the then category of Cinematography Black and White, and in which he wasn't.

In fact, I'd even say he should have won the little golden statue over the only other two who WERE nominated in that category; Arthur Miller who won for Anna and the King of Siam, and George Folsey for The Green Years.

7713e136072fdf0afc8e3dfa39a68a6c--dana-a

Best+Years+of+Our+Lives+Bar+Scene.jpg

(...but then again as I said, I'm probably a little prejudice about this, considering as I said, this film is my favorite of all time)

• Like 2

The Color Purple (1985) - With 11 nominations, it would have been nice to win just one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Hunchback of Notre Dame should have won more Oscars in 1939. I like that movie even more than Gone With the Wind. 

MV5BNTg1ODViOTctZGNjZS00MDE2LTgyZWQtY2M4

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, Sepiatone said:

Of course, the question is "What MOVIE should have won the most Oscars?" and NOT; "WHO should have won an Oscar INSTEAD OF....?" 

Sepiatone

I don't mean to rain on your thread here Skimpole, just my own opinion, but your thread could be pretty hard to comply with based on your thread's question.

I think a different way to do this would be to really open things up and ask which films should have received Oscar nominations. And/or which films that did not receive any nominations, name those films and the categories that they should have been nominated for and why.

I'd start my own thread, but I really do not to want to have another thread similar to yours that would take away responses from this thread. I do not think that would be fair to you or the folks already giving you answers here.

23 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, all I can say here is that my favorite film of all time, The Best Years of Our Lives, in addition to winning 7 competitive Oscars (in addition to 2 honorary ones), should have at least had its cinematographer, the great Gregg Toland, nominated in the then category of Cinematography Black and White, and in which he wasn't.

In fact, I'd even say he should have won the little golden statue over the only other two who WERE nominated in that category; Arthur Miller who won for Anna and the King of Siam, and George Folsey for The Green Years.

(...but then again as I said, I'm probably a little prejudice about this, considering as I said, this film is my favorite of all time)

My vote would be for THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES as well 👍

• Like 2

ya gotta give it to dana trying to fly a B-17 with no engines.

:D

On 5/3/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dargo said:

Well Darg, I can't argue with that!

I've often said (TOO often some would say) that I'd like an 11x14 still of that shot of DANA ANDREWS sitting in the nose of that B-17, shot from behind, with Dana hunched over the bombsight and that stark, streaked plastic of the nosecone slapping the viewer's eyes open!  ;)  Now, THAT is some 1st class photography! 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

Image result for the ten commandments 1956

edward-g-robinson-as-dathan-in-the-ten-c

"Myeah, myeah! Where was my nomination THEN, see?!"

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

edward-g-robinson-in-the-ten-commandment

It's where all your other nominations went, see?!

713kdNNzhPL._SY606_.jpg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, TomJH said:

It's where all your other nominations went, tough guy.

713kdNNzhPL._SY606_.jpg

LOL

Although I couldn't resist paraphrasing Billy Crystal's memorable comic line about Eddie Robinson's performance in what appears to be one of The Nipster's favorite movies, I'm sure you'll agree with me here that there were many other performances of Robinson's which deserved competitive Oscar nominations.

(...isn't it amazing he never garnered even one?)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Although I couldn't resist paraphrasing Billy Crystal's memorable comic line about Eddie Robinson's performance in what appears to be one of The Nipster's favorite movies, I'm sure you'll agree with me here that there were many other performances of Robinson's which deserved competitive Oscar nominations.

(...isn't it amazing he never garnered even one?)

There are any of a number of Eddie G. performances that could have been nominated but somehow his Dathan in The Ten Commandments just doesn't make the cut for me. Maybe it's the Billy Crystal effect as his impersonation of Eddie in the film makes it increasingly difficult to take this Robinson effort seriously.

source.gif

"Take that, Billy Crystal, and that and that and that! And stop calling me Blinky!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It don't make it for me either, Darg.  For years I wondered how he ever got the job.  It would have been comparable to casting JACK OAKIE as Herod in KING OF KINGS('61).  :D 

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

edward-g-robinson-as-dathan-in-the-ten-c

41 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

It don't make it for me either, Darg.  For years I wondered how he ever got the job.  It would have been comparable to casting JACK OAKIE as Herod in KING OF KINGS('61).  :D 

Sepiatone

Actually, Edward G. Robinson getting cast in The Ten Commandments was crucially important for the actor, no matter what you may think of his performance. With Robinson's Communist background he had been a victim of Hollywood brown listing (as opposed to black). Eddie G. was only getting cast in a lot of small "B" productions with little in the way of good roles for him.

When arch conservative big shot Cecil B. DeMille green lighted Eddie to appear in his biggest film he was sending a political message to Hollywood that it was okay to hire the actor in major productions again. I even wonder if DeMille may have done that for Eddie as a kind gesture despite his less than ideal suitability for the role. I'm sure that Robinson must have felt very grateful to DeMille.

The problem is, if you look over Robinson's filmography, he was still doing TV work in the years immediately afterward and only started getting bigger roles in major "A"s towards the end of the decade. Political liberal Sinatra would cast him in A Hole in the Head three years after the DeMille film. Eddie G.'s best years were clearly behind him with good roles but there would be a few times in the final years (Cincinatti Kid, Soylent Green) in which he had the opportunity to shine once again.

• Like 3

Now it's 1928-1929

Most nominations:  In Old Arizona, The Patriot (5)

Most wins:  seven way tie for one.  (No movie won more than one award.)

My choice for most nominations:  Pandora's Box, The Docks of New York (6)

My choice for most wins:  The Man with a Movie Camera (Three-Movie, Director, Cinematography)

Did the Best Picture get anything?  The Broadway Melody gets a best actress nomination.

• Confused 1

Now it's 1929-1930

Most nominations:  The Love Parade (6)

Most wins:  All Quiet on the Western Front, The Big House (2 each)

My choice for most nominations:  The Love Parade (8-first to be nominated in every applicable category)

My choice for most wins:  Three way tie among All Quiet on the Western Front (2-Picture, Director), The Love Parade (Writing, Sound Recording) and King of Jazz (Art direction, Cinematography)

Did the Best Picture get anything?  Yes, see above.