skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

134 posts in this topic

Now it's 1930-1931

Most nominations:  Cimarron (7)

Most wins:  Cimarron (3)

My choice for most nominations:  Morocco (6)

My choice for most wins:  M (4-Picture, Director, Actor, Original Story)

Did the Best Picture get anything?  No.  (Or maybe Cimarron gets a nod for art direction.  I don't remember it very well and I haven't seen three of the other four nominees.)

I should point out that for this year, and for the next few years, the maximum number of nominees one could win was seven:  picture, director, the two acting prizes, cinematography, art direction and one of the screenplay awards.  1932-1933 adds sound recording, 1934 song, scoring and editing.

Now it's 1931-1932

Most nominations:  Arrowsmith, The Champ (4)

Most Wins:  Bad Girl, The Champ (2)

My choice for most nominations:  One Hour with You (5)

My choice for most wins:  Vampyr (4-Picture, Director, Adaptation, Cinematography)

Did the Best Picture get anything?  No. 

Now it's 1932-1933

Most nominations:  Cavalcade, A Farewell to Arms, Lady for a Day (4)

Most Wins:  Cavalcade (3)

My choice for most nominations:  Trouble in Paradise (6)

My choice for most wins:  Trouble in Paradise (5-Director, Actress, Best Adaptation, Art Direction, Cinematography)

But I really want to give Duck Soup supporting acting wins for Margaret Dumont and Chico Marx, even though supporting characters won't be introduced until 1936.  That way it would also win five (Picture, Actor, Original Story).

Did the Best Picture get anything?  No.

Now it's 1934

Movie with the most nominations:  One Night of Love (6)

Movie with the most awards:  It Happened One Night (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Scarlet Empress (6)

My choice for most awards:  The Thin Man, The Scarlet Empress (4 each:  Picture, Actor, Actress, Adaption vs Director, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing.)

Did the actual Best Picture get anything:  Yes (Nominated for Best Picture)

• Like 1

Now it's 1935

Movie with the most nominations:  Mutiny on the Bounty (8)

Most wins:  The Informer (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Top Hat (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Top Hat (7-Director, Actor, Actress, Song, Art Direction, Editing, Dance Direction)

Did the actual Best Picture get anything:  Yes (nominated for Best Actor, sort of)

Now it's 1936

Movie(s) with most nominations:  Anthony Adverse, Dodsworth, The Great Ziegfeld (7)

Most wins:  Anthony Adverse (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Swing Time (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Modern Times (5-Director, Actor, Supporting Actress, Best Original Story, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture get anything:  Surprisingly, yes (nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Art Direction and Dance Direction)

Now it's 1937

Movie with the most nominations:  The Life of Emile Zola (10)

Most wins:  The Life of Emile Zola (3)

My choice for the most nominations:  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Make way for Tomorrow (7)

My choice for the most awards:  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (5-Picture, Director, Screenplay, Song, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture get anything? No.

Now it's 1938.

Movie with most nominations:  You Can't take it With you (7)

Movie with the most awards:  The Adventures of Robin Hood (3)

My choice for the most nominations:  Grand Illusion (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Grand Illusion (7-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor,  Original Story, Cinematography,  Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture get anything:  Yes (nominated for Best Supporting Actress)

Now it's 1939

Movie with the most nominations:  Gone With the Wind (13)

Movie with the most awards:  Gone With the Wind (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Wizard of Oz (14-including three for Best Supporting Actor and two for best song)

My choice for the most awards:  The Wizard of Oz (8-Picture, Actress, Screenplay, Original Score, Song, Art Direction, Colour Cinematography, Special Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture Winner Get anything:  Actually it got what is surely a record so far for the most nominations without an actual award (Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Screenplay, Original Score, Sound, Art Direction, Color Cinematography, Editing)

Now it's 1940

Movie with the most nominations:  Rebecca (11)

Movie with the most awards:  The Thief of Bagdad (3)

My choice for the most nominations:  His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, The Grapes of Wrath (8)

My choice for the most awards:  His Girl Friday (5-Picture, Actor, Screenplay, Sound, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Nominations for Supporting Actress, Original Score, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography)

Now it's 1941.

Movie with the most nominations:  Sergeant York (11)

Movie with the most awards:  How Green was My Valley (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Citizen Kane (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Citizen Kane (9-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Scoring, Sound, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Nominations for Original Score, Sound, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography)

Now it's 1942:

Movie with the most nominations:  Mrs. Miniver (12)

Movie with the most awards:  Mrs. Miniver (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Magnificent Ambersons (12)

My choice for the most awards:  The Magnificent Ambersons (7-Picture, Director, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Possibly--it may have won some technical awards.  I don't remember or haven't seen many of the nominees.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, TomJH said:

There are any of a number of Eddie G. performances that could have been nominated but somehow his Dathan in The Ten Commandments just doesn't make the cut for me. Maybe it's the Billy Crystal effect as his impersonation of Eddie in the film makes it increasingly difficult to take this Robinson effort seriously.

If there was a film that Robinson did deserve an Oscar for, I'd say it was an Oscar for his supporting role in Double Indemnity.  This is Robinson's film just as much as it is Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck's. 

• Like 2

Now it's 1943.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Song of Bernadette (12)

Movie with the most awards:  The Song of Bernadette (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Casablanca, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Casablanca(6-Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Scoring, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, see above.

Now it's 1944.

Movie with the most nominations:  Going my Way, Wilson (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Going my Way (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Meet me in Saint Louis (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Ivan the Terrible (8-Picture, Director, Actor, Original Screenplay, Scoring, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, nominations for Best Supporting Actor and Best Song

Now it's 1945.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Bells of St. Mary's (8)

Movie with the most awards:  The Lost Weekend (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Children of Paradise (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Children of Paradise (9-Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, nominations for Dramatic Scoring

Now it's 1946.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Best Years of Our Lives (8)

Movie with the most awards:  The Best Years of Our Lives (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  A Matter of Life and Death/Stairway to Heaven (9)

My choice for the most awards:  A Day in the Country  [a 1946 release] (5-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, award for Best Supporting Actress

Now it's 1947.

Movie with the most nominations:  Gentleman's Agreement (8)

Movie with the most awards:  Gentleman's Agreement, Miracle on 34th Street (3)

My choice for the most nominations:  Black Narcissus (8)

My choice for the most awards:  Black Narcissus (6-Picture, Director, Actress, Colour Art Direction, Colour Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

I'M still disappointed that none of the BLONDIE moves ever got so much as a NOD!  :angry:

Sepiatone

Now it's 1948.

Movie with the most nominations:  Johnny Belinda (12)

Movie with the most awards:  Hamlet (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Red Shoes (11)

My choice for the most awards:  The Red Shoes (6-Actor, Best Scoring of a Dramatic Picture, Colour Art Direction, Colour Cinematography, Colour Costume Design, Special Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, oscars for Best supporting Actress and black and white costume design

•  

Now it's 1949.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Heiress (8)

Movie with the most awards:  The Heiress (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  On the Town, The Heiress (9)

My choice for the most awards:  Late Spring (5-Picture, Director, Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Black and White Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

Now it's 1950.

Movie with the most nominations:  All About Eve (14)

Movie with the most awards:  All About Eve (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  All About Eve (14)

My choice for the most awards:  Sunset Bvld. La Ronde (4-Picture, Director, Actress, Original Screenplay vs. Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscars for Actor, Adapted Screenplay)

Now it's 1951.

Movie with the most nominations:  A Streetcar Named Desire (12)

Movie with the most awards:  An American in Paris, A Place in the Sun (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  The River (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Alice in Wonderland (4-Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Song, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscars for Best Scoring, Musical, Color Art Direction, Color Costume Design)

Now it's 1952.

Movie with the most nominations:  High Noon, Moulin Rouge The Quiet Man (7)

Movie with the most awards:  The Bad and the Beautiful (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Singin' in the Rain (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Singin' in the Rain (9-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Best scoring Musical, Colour Art Direction, Colour Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Possibly a nomination for color Costume Design

Now it's 1953.

Movie with the most nominations:  From Here to Eternity (13)

Movie with the most awards:  From Here to Eternity (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Band Wagon (12)

My choice for the most awards:  The Band Wagon (7-Picture, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Best scoring Musical, Best Song, Colour Cinematography, Colour Costume Design)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Nominations for Sound and Dramatic Musical Score