skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

134 posts in this topic

Now it's 1954.

Movie with the most nominations:  On the Waterfront (12)

Movie with the most awards:  On the Waterfront (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Seven Samurai (13)

My choice for the most awards:  The Seven Samurai (8-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Scoring Drama, Black and White Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Nominations for Actor, Supporting Actor, Drama Scoring, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography,

• Haha 1

Now it's 1955.

Movie with the most nominations:  Love is a many Splendored Thing, Marty, The Rose Tattoo (8)

Movie with the most awards:  Marty (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Pather Panchali (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Ordet (4-Picture, Director, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

• Like 1

Now it's 1956.

Movie with the most nominations:  Giant (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Around the World in 80 Days, The King and I (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Around the World in 80 Days (10)

My choice for the most awards:  A Man Escaped (6-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Editing, Foreign Language Film)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscars for Actor, Dramatic Score and Costume Design)

• Haha 1

Now it's 1957.

Movie with the most nominations:  Sayonara (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Bridge on the River Kwai (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Seventh Seal (13)

My choice for the most awards:  12 Angry Men (3-Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay), The Seventh Seal (3-Supporting Actor, Foreign Language, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Nominations for Score, Cinematography and Special Effects)

Getting back to the original question; I think it's a tie between Casablanca and The Godfather.

Now it's 1958.

Movie with the most nominations:  Gigi, The Defiant Ones (9)

Movie with the most awards:  Gigi (9)

My choice for the most nominations:  Vertigo, Ivan the Terrible, Part II (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Vertigo (11-Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Dramatic Score, Sound, Costume Design, Colour Cinematography, Editing),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscar for Musical Score)

Now it's 1959.

Movie with the most nominations:  Ben-Hur (12)

Movie with the most awards:  Ben-Hur (11)

My choice for the most nominations:  North by Northwest, Some Like it Hot (10)

My choice for the most awards:  North by Northwest(8-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Dramatic Score, Color Art Direction, Editing),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscar for Special Effects)

Now it's 1960.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Apartment (10)

Movie with the most awards:  The Apartment (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Breathless, Psycho, The Apartment, L'Avventura (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Breathless (4-Picture, Original Screenplay, Editing, Foreign Language Film),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscar for Black and White Art Direction)

Now it's 1961.

Movie with the most nominations:  West Side Story, Judgment at Nuremberg (11)

Movie with the most awards:  West Side Story (10)

My choice for the most nominations:  Last Year at Marienbad (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Last Year at Marienbad (11-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Dramatic Score, Sound, Black and White Art Direction, Black and White Cinematography, Black and White Costume Design, Editing, Foreign Language Film),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (Oscar for Supporting Actress, Musical score, Color Art Direction, Color Cinematography)

Now it's 1962.

Movie with the most nominations:  Lawrence of Arabia (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Lawrence of Arabia (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Lawrence of Arabia (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Lawrence of Arabia (9-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Dramatic Score, Color Art Direction, Color Cinematography, Editing),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes (see above)

Now it's 1963.

Movie with the most nominations:  Tom Jones (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Tom Jones, Cleopatra (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Leopard (12)

My choice for the most awards:  The Leopard (11-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Color Art Direction, Color Cinematography, Color Costume Design, Editing, Foreign Language Film),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  A nomination of Color Art Direction

Now it's 1964.

Movie with the most nominations:  Mary Poppins (13)

Movie with the most awards:  My Fair Lady (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  Charulata, Gertrud, Doctor Strangelove, or How I learned to stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (10)

My choice for the most awards:  A Hard Day's Night (6-Picture, Original Screenplay, Song, Adapted Score, Sound, Editing),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  An oscar for Colour Costume Design

Now it's 1965.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago (10)

Movie with the most awards:  The Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Help!, Pierrot le Fou, Doctor Zhivago (9)

My choice for the most awards:  Help! (5-Picture, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Song, Editing), Pierrot le Fou (5-Director, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Foreign Film, Colour Cinematography),

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  An oscar for Adapted Music Score.

Now it's 1966.

Movie with the most nominations:  Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (13)

Movie with the most awards:  A Man for all Seasons (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  A Man for all Seasons (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Persona (5-Director, Actress, Original Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Black and White Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Oscars for Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay

Now it's 1967.

Movie with the most nominations:  Bonnie and Clyde, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (10)

Movie with the most awards:  In the Heat of the Night (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Young Girls of Rochefort (15)

My choice for the most awards:  Two for the Road (3-Picture, Actor, Actress), Weekend (Director, Foreign Language, Cinematography), The Young Girls of Rochefort (Supporting Actress, Original Song Score, Song), Playtime (Original Screenplay, Art Direction, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

Now it's 1968.

Movie with the most nominations:  Oliver! (11)

Movie with the most awards:  Oliver! (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  2001:  A Space Odyssey (11)

My choice for the most awards:  2001: A Space Odyssey (10-Director, Actor, Original Screenplay, Adapted Score, Sound, Costume Design, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing, Special Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Ties with Gone With the Wind for the most nominations without an award (10-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Adapted Score, Costume Design, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing)

Now it's 1969.

Movie with the most nominations:  Anne of the Thousand Days (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Andrei Rublev (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Andrei Rublev (7-Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Sound, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Oscar for best Actor (Dustin Hoffman)

Now it's 1970.

Movie with the most nominations:  Airport, Patton (10)

Movie with the most awards:  Patton (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Conformist (11)

My choice for the most awards:  The Confession (6-Picture, Director, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Nominations for Actor, Original Score, Sound, Art Direction, Visual Effects

Now it's 1971.

Movie with the most nominations:  Fiddler on the Roof, The French Connection, The Last Picture Show (8)

Movie with the most awards: The French Connection (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Death in Venice, McCabe and Mrs. Miller (8)

My choice for the most awards:  The Sorrow and the Pity (4-Picture, Director, Foreign Language Film, Documentary), Death in Venice (4-Adapted Screenplay, Scoring Adaptation, Costume Design, Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Oscar for Best Editing

In all honesty and to be fair (**1/2-out of four stars) *Casablanca and *Waterfront deserved the most Oscars,etc   AKA: won the most overall with approx. (8) in total!

BP, Actor, Actress-(script_), , S. actor, S. Actress, BD, Screenplay-(Best A. Script), Score =-(*Max Steiner) & deserved to sweep  (  8 ) overall, but *Eva Marie Saint was obviously an adapted-Music Score & won adapted score,etc

& adapted-score by both *L. Bernstein & Score Best Score-adapted, Best A, Score=(Max steiner & Musi scire app a vest Adaoted0Scire music Scie wrent score but, his score. adapted=Sore,  Film Editing, Art=Direction.etc

8 minutes ago, spence said:

& adapted-score by both *L. Bernstein & Score Best Score-adapted, Best A, Score=(Max steiner & Musi scire app a vest Adaoted0Scire music Scie wrent score but, his score. adapted=Sore,  Film Editing, Art=Direction.etc

9 minutes ago, spence said:

o& adapted-score by both *L. Bernstein & Score Best Score-adapted, Best A, Score=(Max Steiner & Musi scire app a vest Adaoted0Scire music Score, I/e wrent score but, his score. adapted=Sore,  Film Editing, Art=Direction.etc???