skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

137 posts in this topic

Now it's 1972.

Movie with the most nominations:  Cabaret, The Godfather (10)

Movie with the most awards: Cabaret (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Godfather (12)

My choice for the most awards:  The Godfather (6-Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, see above

• Like 1

Now it's 1973.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Exorcist, The Sting (10)

Movie with the most awards: The Sting (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Cries and Whispers (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Cries and Whispers (9-Picture, Director, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Sound, Costume Design, Art Direction, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Oscars for Best Supporting Actor and Scoring Adaptation.

Now it's 1974.

Movie with the most nominations:  Chinatown, The Godfather Part II (11)

Movie with the most awards: The Godfather Part II (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Godfather Part II (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Murder on the Orient Express (6-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Oscars for Best Supporting Actor, Art Direction, Cinematography and Editing

Now it's 1975.

Movie with the most nominations:  One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (9)

Movie with the most awards: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Barry Lyndon (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Barry Lyndon (7-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Adapted Score, Art Direction, Cinematography, Costume Design)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

• Like 1

*On the waterfront deserved 9 vs 8 due t it's all-time great score by Leonard Bernstein-(TRVIA: once when *Spielberg & Sydney Pollack were interviewed *Steve voted for Vertigo's-(*B Herrmann) but Sydney voted for *Waterfront's powerful music as his #1 ever!  This was a head scratcher to *Spielberg though?

*Casablanca shouda swept 8 vs 3 for '43

I agree with *Titanic's record tie-ing 11 myself  But not  the two that are tied, still rally good filmmaking in these *Ben-Hur-(shoulda taken *Heston's away, especially when he won Best Actor over both Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot & Stewart in Anatomy of a Murder that year

& as for the3rd all-time Oscar camp 2003's epic *LOR-ROTK I knew it would sweep, but eleven?

So to put in summary, though not among y personal all-time favs & all, did go to it 3 times *Titanic is the champ &  mine (11)

(P.S. in recent yrs we haven't had huge sweeps on Oscar evening & I don't see t this time though  More like 4 to 5  Gravity swept 7 but not BP & the biggest headscratcher wasf or 2008 & Slumdog Millonaire sweeping 8??? A fine film & I predicted 5 or so, but to win more then *Lawrence of Arabia ???

Now it's 1976.

Movie with the most nominations:  Network, Rocky (10)

Movie with the most awards: All the President's Men, Network (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  All the President's Men (11)

My choice for the most awards:  All the President's Men (7-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Sound, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Although it's my least favorite of seventies best picture winners, and I don't particularly like the song, I can't honestly say I know enough better songs that year not to nominate Rocky.  Also, a possible nomination for best Sound.

Now it's 1977.

Movie with the most nominations:  Julia, The Turning Point (11)

Movie with the most awards: Star Wars (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Ascent (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Annie Hall (5-Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  Yes, see above

Now it's 1978.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Deer Hunter, Heaven Can Wait (9)

Movie with the most awards: The Deer Hunter (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Days of Heaven (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Days of Heaven (5-Picture, Director, Sound, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (for John Cazale, not Christopher Walken)

As you know & most do to that fact that Cazale was never even a contender & irionically the only 5 flix he did were op for Best Film

In a rarity to this moviegoer in 38yrs I went back to *Titanic 3 times no less  It deserved all it's noms in my view  Did superbly come Oscar evening prediction-wise. Tough like most wrongly forecasted Bacall win in Mirror Has Two Faces for '96

Only other films I've been lucky enough to see in the theater three times are> Apocalypse Now, Towering Inferno-(due to McQueen then being my idol), Earthquake ( I was about 10),  Jaws, *Platoon, GoodFellas, Courage Under Fire (had a big crush then on Meg Ryan) & a couple others 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, Ray Faiola said:

Well, GONE WITH THE WIND won a pile of Oscars but I think one loss was undeserved. Max Steiner should have gotten the award for Best Original Score instead of Herbert Stothart for THE WIZARD OF OZ. OZ was really an adaptation score. Maybe Max's votes were split between WIND and DARK VICTORY but, nevertheless WIND should have been the winner. Tough, though, with Copland's OF MICE AND MEN also in the running. Frankly, the nominations were screwy that year as there were original scores nominated for Scoring and adaptation scores nominated for Original score. Oh well.

As for Clark Gable, he was great but I can see where Robert Donat deserved the Best Actor prize that year.

For my money, Jimmy Stewart should have won for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.  Some insiders think that's the reason he beat Henry Fonda the following year.

• Like 1

Now it's 1979.

Movie with the most nominations:  All that Jazz, Kramer vs. Kramer (9)

Movie with the most awards: Kramer vs. Kramer (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Stalker (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Apocalypse Now (6-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No

• Like 1

Now it's 1980.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Elephant Man, Raging Bull (8)

Movie with the most awards: Ordinary People (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Tess, The Shining (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Tess (7-Picture, Director, Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Direction, Costume Design)

Now it's 1981.

Movie with the most nominations:  Reds (12)

Movie with the most awards: Chariots of Fire,Raiders of the Lost Ark (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Reds (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Raiders of the Lost Ark (6-Picture, Director, Sound, Art Direction, Editing, Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Best Score.

Now it's 1982.

Movie with the most nominations:  Gandhi (11)

Movie with the most awards: Gandhi (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  Gandhi (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Pink Floyd:  the Wall (5-Picture, Adapted Score, Song, Editing, Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Director, Actor, Original Screenplay

good topic, but are you including all those tech statuettes as well

Now it's 1983.

Movie with the most nominations:  Terms of Endearment (11)

Movie with the most awards: Terms of Endearment (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Fanny and Alexander (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Fanny and Alexander (11-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Costume Design, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing)

• Like 1

Now it's 1984.

Movie with the most nominations:  Amadeus, A Passage to India (11)

Movie with the most awards: Amadeus (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  Paris, Texas (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Splash, Paris, Texas (4 Each-Picture, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay versus Director, Original Score, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Sound, Art Direction, Cinematography

• Like 1

Do you mean for 1984?  If so *Amadeus ($52m.) Among it's 8 victories Best sound was among them  Are you a bit of a fan of the bio?

Cool, another fan of the superbly made 1984 Paris, Texas (4 stars!)  I fist discovered in on HB0 around '85 & Nastassja Kinski deserved a supporting nod for it  HYPNOTIC & that score y Ry Cooder added perfectly to it all-(never yet nommed either)

As for the late Harry Dean Stanton-(his last role was in last yrs Lucky) he was about 92 or so, yet another of the Cool Hand Like cast gone, only Joe Don Baker & Luke askew are left

But Stanton could always do no wrong & PT is his best per

Ebert & Siskel worshipped this film

3 hours ago, skimpole said:

Now it's 1984.

Movie with the most nominations:  Amadeus, A Passage to India (11)

Movie with the most awards: Amadeus (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  Paris, Texas (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Splash, Paris, Texas (4 Each-Picture, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay versus Director, Original Score, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Sound, Art Direction, Cinematography

my own favs-(without Oscar) for 1984 were>

Once Upon a Time in America (not the chopped up 139min version they release here, but the directors cut of 227 minutes) & it's tremendous score by Morricone serves as a perfect companion pc to his & Leones masterful Western from '69 Once Upon a Time in the West-(NOTE: You can easily find both together & with massive orchestra w/Ennio on youtube, pretty long too & Cinema, Paradiso's beautiful score. The one for west even does the entire number of Harmonica with the orchestra)

Others  gave 4 stars to: Broadway Danny Rose, Killing Fields, almost with Under the Volcano

& a couple others & on splash ($69m. gross) It was that summer-(MAN, IT WAS HUMID & WHEN THEY FILM INSIDE ALL MOVING AIR MUST BE SHUT OFF, NOT EVEN A TINY FAN & THIS WAS AUGUST IN FL(

I got to hang out about 7-8hrs on *Ron Howard's Cocoon ($76m.) (***1/2)  Hanging out, though briefly with him on way to his limo quite a distance, *M. Stapleton, Gwen Verdon, Guttenberg, Tahnee welch, Clint Howard & *Jessica Tandy  as it turned out on this particular day the 3 main guys Brimkley, Cronyn & *Ameche-(who stunned most all by winning an Oscar for it, as did it's visuals) were all not there at this locale that day, unfortunately I tried telling everyone over the yrs that Wilford Brimley was really only 590 then, nobody believed me though He's just now 85.  The strangest irony f al this was filmed almost in my backyard of the ats I then lived in, at a fancy Retremnent Village & where I'd later vote that yr in Nov. But most was shot a couple miles down P Point drive at a less secure village  Now when I recall splash, I somehow frgot it when talking to *Ron & we spoke about 1982's Night shift instead

Ebert & Siskel always dubbed '84 at the movies the year of SAVE THE FARM w/Places in the Heart, Country & The River

Very interesting topic * I Thank you

For this movie reviewer & 38yr Oscar oddsmaker my Alternate Oscars for 1984 are?

(Top 6 majors only & 1 more for us music buffs)

Best Film:

Once Upon a Time in America (D/C only)

Actor:

Albert Finney in Under the Volcano

Actress:

Mia Farrow in Broadway Danny Rose

S. Actor:

Adolph Caesar, A Soldier's Story

S. Actress:

Geraladine Page The Pope of Greenwich Village

Best Direction:

Sergio Leone for 0ce Upon a Time in america

& Best 0riginal-Score:

Once Upon a Time in America (Ennio Morricone)