skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

135 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2019 at 2:26 AM, skimpole said:

Now it's 1983.

Movie with the most nominations:  Terms of Endearment (11)

Movie with the most awards: Terms of Endearment (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Fanny and Alexander (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Fanny and Alexander (11-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Foreign Language Film, Costume Design, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No

VS. my own skim,

Best Picture:

The King of Comedy

Actor: Al Pacino in Scarface

Actress: Shirley MacLaine

S. Actor: Jack

S. Actress:

Linda Hunt

Best Director:

Woody Allen for Zelig &  Scoring: *The Right Stuff (Bill Conti)

On 9/25/2019 at 3:23 AM, skimpole said:

Now it's 1979.

Movie with the most nominations:  All that Jazz, Kramer vs. Kramer (9)

Movie with the most awards: Kramer vs. Kramer (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Stalker (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Apocalypse Now (6-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Cinematography)

& My own choices for 1979, the year I fell in OVE with THE M.O.V.I.E.S. at about age14 or so

Film: Apocalypse Now

Actor: Peter sellers in Being There

Actress: *Sally Field in Norma Rae

S. Actor:  Robert Dvall, Apocalypse Now

S. Actress: Meriel Hemingway in Manhattan-(only due to *Streep really being the leading lady in *Kramer)

Director: Francis Ford Coppola for Apocalypse Now 

& score: *A Little Romance (George Delerue)

On 4/12/2019 at 2:38 AM, skimpole said:

As one can easily find out on the internet, these are the movies that won the most Academy Awards:

Ben Hur, Titanic, The Lord of the Rings:  the Return of the King  11

West Side Story  10

Gigi, The Last Emperor, The English Patient  9

This leads to my question:  which movie should have won the most oscars?  Try to confine yourself to categories that actually existed in the year the movie was nominated. 

& although I've already shout my moth of & predicted about (12)  for The Irishman, only see it sweeping 5, 6 to 7 overall

& *Titanic deserved a dozen due to Gloria Stuart not winning & deserved to

Didn't La La Land  land about 10?

To me *West Side deserved all it's victories except & this has always been a headscratcher  to even non Oscar buffs *G Chakiris???  Especially when one considers his competition that Oscar race year>Monty ****, Judgment at Nuremberg, both Gleason & George C. in The Hustler?

On 8/1/2019 at 3:38 AM, skimpole said:

Now it's 1955.

Movie with the most nominations:  Love is a many Splendored Thing, Marty, The Rose Tattoo (8)

Movie with the most awards:  Marty (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Pather Panchali (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Ordet (4-Picture, Director, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything:  No

1855 ranks up there under 1939 & 3rd 1962 as Hollywoods Greatest Year

On 9/24/2019 at 12:11 PM, filmnoirguy said:

For my money, Jimmy Stewart should have won for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.  Some insiders think that's the reason he beat Henry Fonda the following year.

Great pals for over 55yrs & opposites politically, but even (*Stewart confessed many times he voted for *Hank for 1940   The didn't yet have nearly as many Pre-Oscar awards then, bt even The Golden Globes-(est: 1943) So NYFCC-(New York Film Critics Circle)  voted for Chaplin instead in The Great Dictator-(he refused it though) It was his only acting Oscar nomination, despite at first having one for 1927-28 The Circus, but L.B. Mayer despised him & had it removed so he wouldn't be his Academy awards first Best Actor winner (*Emil Jannings a Nazi won instead)

& they decided Board of Governers to just give The Little Tramp a special non competitive statue instead

So that made the one & only competitive statuette Charlie ever won was for Limelight (l952) Best Music Score & I'll Remember You Eternally, but due to the political climate & HUAC of the time it wasn't allowed a legit LA release until 1972?

On 4/12/2019 at 5:39 AM, Ray Faiola said:

Well, GONE WITH THE WIND won a pile of Oscars but I think one loss was undeserved. Max Steiner should have gotten the award for Best Original Score instead of Herbert Stothart for THE WIZARD OF OZ. OZ was really an adaptation score. Maybe Max's votes were split between WIND and DARK VICTORY but, nevertheless WIND should have been the winner. Tough, though, with Copland's OF MICE AND MEN also in the running. Frankly, the nominations were screwy that year as there were original scores nominated for Scoring and adaptation scores nominated for Original score. Oh well.

As for Clark Gable, he was great but I can see where Robert Donat deserved the Best Actor prize that year.

AGREED ALL THE WAY ABOUT *STEINER!   Matter of fact AFI in 2006 voted it runner-up only to SW as all-time greatest motion picture score   Stagecoach won in it's category instead

• Like 1

As one can easily find out on the internet, these are the movies that won the most Academy Awards:

West Side Story  10

This leads to my question:  which movie should have won the most oscars?  Try to confine yourself to categories that actually existed in the year the movie was nominated. 

To skimpole did you cover 1939?

West Side Story  10

*Engish Patient was overrated but still very good (***1/2)  But 9 Oscars, that's more then *Lawrence of Arabia?

Now it's 1985.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Color Purple, Out of Africa (11)

Movie with the most awards: Out of Africa (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Ran (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Shoah (5-Picture, Director, Foreign Language Film, Documentary, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Art Direction, Cinematography, Costume Design

Now it's 1986.

Movie with the most nominations:  Platoon, A Room with a View (8)

Movie with the most awards: Platoon (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Aliens, Blue Velvet (11)

My choice for the most awards: Aliens (6-Picture, Director, Actress, Sounds Effects Editing, Editing, Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Sound

Now it's 1987.

Movie with the most nominations:  The Last Emperor (9)

Movie with the most awards: The Last Emperor (9)

My choice for the most nominations:  Angel Heart (11)

My choice for the most awards: Angel Heart (5-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Original Score, Sound, Art Direction, Costume Design

Now it's 1988.

Movie with the most nominations:  Rain Man (8)

Movie with the most awards: Rain Man (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Distant Voices, Still Lives (9-a rare case of a leader not being a best picture nominee)

My choice for the most awards: A Fish Called Wanda (5-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay)

Now it's 1989.

Movie with the most nominations:  Driving Miss Daisy (9)

Movie with the most awards: Driving Miss Daisy (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Henry V (10)

My choice for the most awards: Henry V, Born on the Fourth of July, Homework (3-Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design vs Actor, Sound, Cinematography vs Foreign Language Film, Documentary, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nomination for Best Actress

Now it's 1990.

Movie with the most nominations:  Dances with Wolves (12)

Movie with the most awards: Dances with Wolves (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Goodfellas (10)

My choice for the most awards: Goodfellas (5-Director, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Sound, Cinematography

Now it's 1991.

Movie with the most nominations:  Bugsy (10)

Movie with the most awards: The Silence of the Lambs (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  JFK, Europa (8)

My choice for the most awards: JFK (6-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Score, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Best Actress

Now it's 1992.

Movie with the most nominations:  Unforgiven, Howard's End (9)

Movie with the most awards: Unforgiven (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Bram Stoker's Dracula (13)

My choice for the most awards: Bram Stoker's Dracula (8-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Sound Effects Editing, Costume Design, Cinematography, Makeup, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominees for Best Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Sound, Art Direction, Cinematography

Now it's 1993.

Movie with the most nominations: Schindler's List (12)

Movie with the most awards: Schindler's List (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Schindler's List (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Schindler's List (5-Picture, Director, Score, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Yes, see above.

Now it's 1994.

Movie with the most nominations: Forrest Gump (13)

Movie with the most awards: Forrest Gump (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  Satantango (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Pulp Fiction (5-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Makeup and Visual Effects

Now it's 1995.

Movie with the most nominations: Braveheart (10)

Movie with the most awards: Braveheart (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Usual Suspects, Se7en (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Richard III, The Usual Suspects (4-Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design, Editing vs Director, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Score)

Now it's 1996.

Movie with the most nominations: The English Patient (12)

Movie with the most awards: The English Patient (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  The English Patient (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Matilda (5-Picture, Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Actor, Score and Costume Design

Now it's 1997.

Movie with the most nominations: Titanic (14)

Movie with the most awards: Titanic (11)

My choice for the most nominations:  L.A. Confidential, Boogie Nights (10)

My choice for the most awards:  L.A. Confidential (4-Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Editing.  The Actor award is for Kevin Spacey, by the way)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Song and Visual Effects

I have nothing really to add other than to say that what you guys are doing is fascinating. I can't wait until you get into the 21st century.

I'll also add that I do not get the love for The English Patient. I preferred Fargo. I'll just go with Seinfeld on the description.

Now it's 1998.

Movie with the most nominations: Shakespeare in Love (13)

Movie with the most awards: Shakespeare in Love (7)

My choice for the most nominations:  Saving Private Ryan (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Saving Private Ryan, Khrustalyov, My Car! (4-Picture, Sound Effects Editing, Sound, Editing vs Director, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Cinematography)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Actress, Score, Costume Design

Now it's 1999.

Movie with the most nominations: American Beauty (8)

Movie with the most awards: American Beauty (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Time Regained (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Time Regained (8-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Foreign Language Film, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Cinematography)