skimpole

What movie should have won the most oscars?

137 posts in this topic

Now it's 2000.

Movie with the most nominations: Gladiator (12)

Movie with the most awards: Gladiator (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  Requiem for a Dream (13)

My choice for the most awards:  Requiem for a Dream (4-Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Sound)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No

Now it's 2001.

Movie with the most nominations: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (13)

Movie with the most awards: A Beautiful Mind, The Lord of the Rings:  The Fellowship of the Ring (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (15)

My choice for the most awards:  The Lord of the Rings:  The Fellowship of the Ring (7-Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Sound, Makeup, Editing, Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No, for the third year in a row, which may be a record.

Now it's 2002.

Movie with the most nominations: Chicago (13)

Movie with the most awards: Chicago (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (12)

My choice for the most awards:  Spirited Away, Russian Ark (4-Director, Adapted Screenplay, Animated Film, Foreign Language Film vs.  Supporting Actor, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Best Supporting Actress

Now it's 2003.

Movie with the most nominations: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (11)

Movie with the most awards: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (11)

My choice for the most nominations:  The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (13)

My choice for the most awards:  The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (10-Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Song, Sound Editing, Costume Design, Makeup, Editing, Visual Effects)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Yes, see above.

Now it's 2004.

Movie with the most nominations: The Aviator (11)

Movie with the most awards: The Aviator (5)

My choice for the most nominations:  2046 (13)

My choice for the most awards:  A Very Long Engagement (4-Picture, Director, Foreign Language film, Adapted Screenplay)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: No

Now it's 2005.

Movie with the most nominations: Brokeback Mountain (8)

Movie with the most awards: Brokeback Mountain, Crash, King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, (3)

My choice for the most nominations:  Howl's Moving Castle, The New World (9)

My choice for the most awards:  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Howl's Moving Castle (4-Picture, Actor, Original Screenplay Editing, vs Animated film, Foreign Language film, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Are you kidding?

Now it's 2006.

Movie with the most nominations: Dreamgirls (8)

Movie with the most awards: The Departed (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Tell No One, Syndromes and a Century, Children of Men, The Prestige (8)

My choice for the most awards:  Tell No One (5-Picture, Director, Actor, Original Screenplay Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscar for Best Supporting Actor

Edward G. Robinson should have had nominations for THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, DOUBLE INDEMNITY and KEY LARGO and should have won for either TOWN'S or INDEMNITY. The fact that he was never nominated remains a black stain on the history of the Academy.

Likewise, it's a crime than Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, Peter O'Toole, Cary Grant, Judy Garland, to name just a few, never took home a competitive oscar.

Still waiting for Glenn Close, Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson to win theirs, though in Close's case, I fear she will have to settle for an Honorary one. (She was considered a shoo-in for THE WIFE, but lost to Olivia Coleman for THE FAVOURITE).

Now it's 2007.

Movie with the most nominations: No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood (8)

Movie with the most awards: No Country for Old Men (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  There will be Blood (10)

My choice for the most awards:  There will be Blood (10-Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Best Supporting Actor, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Cinematography

Now it's 2008.

Movie with the most nominations: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (13)

Movie with the most awards: Slumdog Millionaire (8)

My choice for the most nominations:  A Christmas Tale (11)

My choice for the most awards:  Ponyo (7-Picture, Director, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Animated Film, Foreign Language Film, Song, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for score and (two) song(s)

Now it's 2009.

Movie with the most nominations: Avatar, The Hurt Locker (9)

Movie with the most awards: The Hurt Locker (6)

My choice for the most nominations:  Inglourious Basterds, Red Cliff, Part 2 (12)

My choice for the most awards:  The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (4-Picture, Director, Actor, Art Direction, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Oscars for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing

Now it's 2010.

Movie with the most nominations: The King's Speech (12)

Movie with the most awards: Inception, The King's Speech (4)

My choice for the most nominations:  Mysteries of Lisbon, Certified Copy, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (10)

My choice for the most awards:  Mysteries of Lisbon (8-Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Foreign Language Film, Adapted Screenplay, Art Direction, Costume Design, Editing)

Did the actual Best Picture winner get anything: Nominations for Supporting Actor, Art Direction and Costume Design