Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

Sometime we really must discuss "The Prestige" (2006)

7 posts in this topic

Is anybody interested in this? Is this considered too new a movie to discuss? I'd just like to kick around some theories about what really happened. I've seen some far out ones on youtube and on reddit and I'd like to see what you think if you have watched it. Or maybe everyone will just say "Blech! Obvious modern movie!"

I liked the movie, but haven't re-watched since I saw it in the theater, so I couldn't go into detail at this point.

37 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I liked the movie, but haven't re-watched since I saw it in the theater, so I couldn't go into detail at this point. 

You'd almost have to access to a copy of the film to discuss some of the theories. Believe me I get that.  This discussion would get rather spoilerish in a hurry. Like right now (SPOILERS!) There are some people that think the last line of the film "You want to be fooled" means that the cloning device never worked and that Angier was actually using a double to do the act. They say that because you only see the machine working when Borden is reading Angier's fake diary and when Angier is talking to Borden at the end about using the machine the first time. I think that line is just there to get people talking about the film, which it did.

• Like 1

Why must we discuss it? :P

"Should" discuss it?  Maybe.  I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on the movie itself.

As for "more recent" movies, as in the 2010s, I really liked Animal Kingdom.

I liked The Prestige and thought it was even better than the novel it was based on. Like Lawrence, I don't recall it closely in detail, but thought it was well made and enjoyable. I thought it was far better than other Christopher Nolan films like Batman Begins and Dunkirk.

2 hours ago, kingrat said:

I liked The Prestige and thought it was even better than the novel it was based on. Like Lawrence, I don't recall it closely in detail, but thought it was well made and enjoyable. I thought it was far better than other Christopher Nolan films like Batman Begins and Dunkirk.

It's hard to tell exactly what "a Christopher Nolan film" was, before the fanboy barrage on The Dark Knight and Inception.  Up to that point, it was generally "A tight psychological thriller", which this is, and much better than the competing Edward Norton scheming-magician pic The Illusionist (2006).  Hopefully Nolan hasn't given into Warner's hopes that Nolan will believe his own fan hype for the rest of his career.

Apparently, both the movie and the book tried to use "Magician's misdirection" by taking the plot way off into science-fiction territory with the Nikolas Tesla plot, when the real solution was just an earthbound bit of deception, and left the plot a bit unsatisfyingly fish-or-fowl.

In the novel the teleportation caused something like AIDS. Yes, really. The screenplay properly disposed of this.