spence

IS GARBO ALL-TIME GREATEST?

18 posts in this topic

Know she's a acquired taste & rarely smiles-(some say adds to her mystique) But is GRETA GARBO=-(l905-0l990) trilogy as milliions still say THEE GREATEST MOTION PICTURE ACTRESS OF ALL-TIME!?    only made 26 ,o motion pictures vs contemporaries like a ette ptpn pictures & all but one in Culver City, CALIF sat the legendary Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios-(est 1924-) & her film career only lasted from 1925-1941)  Though she would nerver e caught accepting it, shje was voted by AFI  in it's 1999 poll as the 5h all-time female move star

Standiong 5'7 & 1/2 7 maybe 125lbs during her prime.  & like my "LOVE" today, MADONNA. Garbo well known to have large feet

To summarize> the OSCARS go for *Kate GHepburn-(all 4 leading actress vuictories) & all 12 leading actress bniominations!)

Plus, in '99 AFI voted *Kate as A #1 all-time female movie star, full blooded Swedish   Only earned 3 Academy Award nominatins & O wins 1929/30 Anna Christie MGM), 1937 Camille (M-0g-M) & 18939's Ninotchka (MGM)

She did try a late '540's comeback at MGM but it failed

Other giants in the industry that ranked HARBO as A #1 *Kate Hepburn, *Jimmy Stewart, Maureen 0'Sullivan, Van Johnsopn, John gilbert, Freeddie Barthlomew, Buddy "Buddy" Rogers, Cukor, Lubitsch, Clarence Brown, R. Mamoulian, VIVIEN LEIGH, Fredric March, Melvyn Douglas, William Daniels,  Mauritz Stiller  & others

CASTY YOUR VOTE?

(TRIVIA: Years back "GUINNES WORLD RECORDS" ONCE voted a portrait OR more of greTA GARBO AS "THEE SINGL:EMOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN THAT EVER LIVED!"

certainly wouldn't go THAT far, but then too, I've never been that big a fan and could mostly only take Garbo in small doses. And too----

"Greatest", "Best", "Most beautiful" and all that sort of thing is all so subjective it's foolish to make ANY claims like that.

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Greatest at over-acting?    Ok,  just joking;    But there are performances in talking pictures where Garbo gives off the vibe of 'I'm acting!!!!',  and come off as show-off theater performances.    Of course this was true for many MGM films especially in the early 30s,  but Garbo combined with this MGM style of film making,  comes off as somewhat phony and contrived.

BUT,   when I see scenes like the visit to the prison scene at the end of Mata Hari (which I just saw when she was  SOTM); wow,,,,  I said to myself,,,  that Garbo is special,,,  she is really something,  and I understand her massive appeal.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:12 AM, Sepiatone said:

certainly wouldn't go THAT far, but then too, I've never been that big a fan and could mostly only take Garbo in small doses. And too----

"Greatest", "Best", "Most beautiful" and all that sort of thing is all so subjective it's foolish to make ANY claims like that.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone, it was GUINNESS WORLD RECIORDS that voted her that title though I never understood how they did that, it wasn't a record but an opinion?

Guinness usually doesn't get into the opinionating thing, they mostly record levels of accomplishment.  Like, "most hot dogs eaten in ...."  or "fastest", "highest" and the like.  What source and criteria would a record book use to MAKE such a determination?  I don't think being "most  beautiful" or "ugliest", is that kind of accomplishment, since being so subjective DOES exclude it from that sort of thing.  I mean, NObody can say someone belongs in the book because they THINK this guy or that ate the most  hot dogs in a given span of time,  People witnessed and RECORDED it.

Sepiatone

On 4/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Greatest at over-acting?    Ok,  just joking;    But there are performances in talking pictures where Garbo gives off the vibe of 'I'm acting!!!!',  and come off as show-off theater performances.    Of course this was true for many MGM films especially in the early 30s,  but Garbo combined with this MGM style of film making,  comes off as somewhat phony and contrived.

BUT,   when I see scenes like the visit to the prison scene at the end of Mata Hari (which I just saw when she was  SOTM); wow,,,,  I said to myself,,,  that Garbo is special,,,  she is really something,  and I understand her massive appeal.

I like the "talking pictures" distinction. It wouldn't apply with the silents where she was so much better. So good that she might be on the short list for "Greatest Ever."

On 4/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, Sepiatone said:

Guinness usually doesn't get into the opinionating thing, they mostly record levels of accomplishment.  Like, "most hot dogs eaten in ...."  or "fastest", "highest" and the like. 

Perhaps Guinness voted Garbo the greatest for the number of hot dogs she could eat in three minutes. When Garbo said "I vant to be alone" was it really because she felt self conscious about the mustard slopped all over her face whenever she started to chow down on a foot long frankfurter?

The eternal question: what was the Sphinx-like Garbo thinking as she stood on the bow of the ship at the end of Queen Christina?

QueenChristina40.png

"I could really go for a big weenie right now."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

QueenChristina40.png

Have you seen the film?    This queen favored more then just weenies.

According to the director, he told her to think of nothing. To let the audience members speculate what was in her mind. It's a great shot.

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

According to the director, he told her to think of nothing. To let the audience members speculate what was in her mind. It's a great shot.

And that's my speculation - she was thinking about a good hot dog.

• Haha 1

Think of nothing?

Wouldn't have been much of a stretch;)

Sepiatone

On 4/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, Sepiatone said:

Guinness usually doesn't get into the opinionating thing, they mostly record levels of accomplishment.  Like, "most hot dogs eaten in ...."  or "fastest", "highest" and the like.  What source and criteria would a record book use to MAKE such a determination?  I don't think being "most  beautiful" or "ugliest", is that kind of accomplishment, since being so subjective DOES exclude it from that sort of thing.  I mean, NObody can say someone belongs in the book because they THINK this guy or that ate the most  hot dogs in a given span of time,  People witnessed and RECORDED it.

Sepiatone

Se[pitatone, I know what you mean, that's why it's was strange when they gave that "most Beautiful Woman Ever" tag to Garbo   I make a point of cross checking everything to before writing it on websites-(write for lots as well ) Plus of course committing it to my files, books & the rest

On 4/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, TomJH said:

Perhaps Guinness voted Garbo the greatest for the number of hot dogs she could eat in three minutes. When Garbo said "I vant to be alone" was it really because she felt self conscious about the mustard slopped all over her face whenever she started to chow down on a foot long frankfurter?

The eternal question: what was the Sphinx-like Garbo thinking as she stood on the bow of the ship at the end of Queen Christina?

QueenChristina40.png

Cool going for the legendary shot!  Strangely her work in this-(arguably her ultimate role was not up for an Academy Award)-(nickname of Oscar must don't know didn't started until 1935 & both Bette Davis & an Academy librarian always claimed the started the nickname) Not really among my personal fav actresses ever,-(certainly of course must respect her though) but Davis was also the very first female AMPAS president)  James Woods of all people (it can still be shown on  TCM as a tribute to Bette Davis-(l908-l989) without question & pause ranks Davis as his own idol, especially in NOW VOYAGER (l942-Warner Bros.) (***1/2-out of 4 stars)  

Director told her top just try & not think of nothing here at it's famed finale

(TRIVIA" Olivier was meant by producers & M-G-M to star in this classic, in John Gilbert's eventual role, but she knew by then how down on his luck Gilbert was & convinced them to cast him instead)

I am not a fan, but I believe that Garbo, today, would be an icon to the Gender Neutral community.