Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovies_fan_chick

Which Peter Ustinov Films Do You Like?

17 posts in this topic

Seeing on how TCM has shown a couple of Peter Ustinov's films. Which films of his are your favorites?

'Quo Vadis' is one of my favorites. Captures his serious and humorous side, which he's known for.

Peter Ustinov was great in Quo Vadis.  I really liked seeing him show his writing skills along with his acting chops in "Hot Millions".  I thought Mr. Ustinov was magnificent in "Topkapi".

Chronologically (either films he had a main part in or just a brief cameo)

Quo Vadis (1951)

We're No Angels (1955)

The Sundowners (1960)

Topkapi (1964)

Hot millions (1968)

The Great Muppet Caper (1981, just a 20 second cameo, but I like the film a lot)

Lorenzo's Oil (1992)

He had a nice role -- and a strange American accent -- in the futuristic film "Logan's Run" (1976). He played an old man who lived with his numerous cats in what used to be the U.S. Capitol building. His performance actually drew my attention away from Jenny Agutter, which was no mean feat!

Image result for peter ustinov logan's run

• Like 1

Just now, jakeem said:

He had a nice role -- and a strange American accent -- in the futuristic film "Logan's Run" (1976). He played an old man who lived with his numerous cats in what used to be the U.S. Capitol building. His performance actually drew my attention away from Jenny Agutter, which was no mean feat!

He was very good in his role there, and although I get that it airs a lot on TCM, I kind of feel its a bit undervalued. It holds up pretty well, and Michael York and Jenny Agutter sell it well. Yes, I too had a crush on her.

• Like 3

I liked his run as Agatha Christie's Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot -- particularly in "Death on the Nile" (1978). And let's not forget the supporting cast of that film: Dame Maggie Smith, Dame Angela Lansbury, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, David Niven, George Kennedy, Jack Warden, Jane Birkin, Lois Chiles and Olivia Hussey.

Image result for peter ustinov death on the nile

My favorite Peter Ustinov film and my favorite all-time epic of the ancient world:

egyptian+04.jpgPeter Ustinov as Kaptah in The Egyptian

• Thanks 1

Just now, jakeem said:

I liked his run as Agatha Christie's Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot -- particularly in "Death on the Nile" (1978). And let's not forget the supporting cast of that film: Dame Maggie Smith, Dame Angela Lansbury, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, David Niven, George Kennedy, Jack Warden, Jane Birkin, Lois Chiles and Olivia Hussey.

Image result for peter ustinov death on the nile

Shoot, forgot about that one. Its a marvelous film, and the cast is wonderful, with Peter, David Niven, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, and Maggie Smith all being standouts..... but then Angela Lansbury goes all in and steals it all from all of them with a sublime performance.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

I'm not fond of Ustinov's "cute" Poirot--compared to Albert Finney or David Suchet--but he seemed to have a lot more fun in the more tongue-in-cheek Evil Under the Sun (1982), with almost the same cast.

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

I can't understand why people couldn't figure out "WTH is that 'Cats' musical about?" when it came out, since the Old Man was my first introduction to T.S. Eliot's Practical Cats.

And since Charlie Chan & the Curse of the Dragon Queen (1981) is better left unmentioned, I'll pick a more suitable example of a wonderfully earnest, sporting and professional Ustinov performance in an otherwise criminally goofy/moronic movie:  Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost (1968)

I liked Ustinov in a variety of various roles.  And movies.  But......

I DAMNED sure could say that even HIS greatness couldn't save that movie the other night.  It was mistitled to boot!

It SHOULD have been called HOT MESS !  :blink:

Sepiatone

gotta go DEATH ON THE NILE and SPARTACUS.

Batiatus: "There I was, better than a millionaire in the morning and a penniless refugee by nightfall with nothing but these rags and my poor flesh to call of my own. All because of Crassus decides to break his journey at Capua with a couple of capricious, over-painted nymphs! These two daughters of Venus had to taunt the gladiators, force them to fight to the death and before I knew what had happened, *revolution* on my hands!"

Love you, Peter!

Love Peter Ustinov -- the creative line readings he gives, the character moments he finds. I love him in BLACKBEARD'S GHOST just for this reason:

780x463_020818_blackbeards-ghost-50th-an

• Like 1

Pulled out my 3 cassette box of the '77 TV "epic" JESUS OF NAZARETH over the weekend in which Ustinov made an excellent King Herod.

Sepiatone

On 4/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, Swithin said:

My favorite Peter Ustinov film and my favorite all-time epic of the ancient world:

egyptian+04.jpgPeter Ustinov as Kaptah in The Egyptian

I like it too, much underappreciated. I love it when kaptah says to merite...

"offer him more than she can."...

just before she whacks him with her broom.

:D

Image result for peter ustinov jean simons the egyptian

• Like 1