Davehat

TCMFF - had a fun time :-)

8 posts in this topic

I just came from TCM Film festival.  The passes were sold-out so I bought individual tickets for each movie.  In total I only spent $50 ($10 per movie).

For me the real fun is meeting the fans. Often I will skip the films and just stand-around talking to people.  The highlight was the Final Party celebrating 25 years of TCM..... free food, champagne, and a birthday cake.  Plus tons of people I got to meet & greet

Thank you Ted Turner, Robert Osborne, and the TCM family

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Davehat said:

I just came from TCM Film festival.  The passes were sold-out so I bought individual tickets for each movie.  In total I only spent $50 ($10 per movie).

For me the real fun is meeting the fans. Often I will skip the films and just stand-around talking to people.  The highlight was the Final Party celebrating 25 years of TCM..... free food, champagne, and a birthday cake.  Plus tons of people I got to meet & greet

That's fantastic. Glad you had such a lovely time!

On 4/16/2019 at 6:18 PM, Davehat said:

This is actually really good to know. I have never been since I thought I had to buy a pass to do anything at all, so I'm glad to know I can see individual movies for not very much money and hang around with no pass at all. I have always wanted to go but never had the money for the passes. I hope I can go next year! :)

• Like 2

There is a standby line for each film where people can queue up for individual tickets. If seats are available, they will get in. If the film is a pre-Code in a small theater (Chinese Multiplex 6, for instance), you probably won't get in. You have a better chance for the former Grauman's Chinese (except on opening night), the Egyptian, or especially the Legion, which is further up Highland. It's possible that you could stand in line for two hours and not get in; this happened to a friend who wanted to see Jezebel a few years ago.

Of course, this means driving to L.A. or simply driving in L.A., which is never much fun, and you will have to allow time for finding a parking place. However, it is definitely an option for those who live relatively nearby. I'm glad  this worked out for you.

• Like 2

Great tips! I will try to go next year if I'm not doing a show right then (sometimes I am). I  take it for granted since I live so close, but who knows how much longer these will go on, right?

20 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Great tips! I will try to go next year if I'm not doing a show right then (sometimes I am). I  take it for granted since I live so close, but who knows how much longer these will go on, right?

That's exactly the point. TCM has new owners, so it's up to AT&T. I think the network people are cautiously optimistic and are proceeding as if there will be a festival next year, but the ultimate decision is out of their hands.

Kingrat;

Why don't you go to the LA CONSERVANCIES LAST REMAINING SEATS this June.  It is wonderful. You get to see Historic Movie Palaces  such as th Los Angeles and Orpheum in Downtown L.A.  It is a wonderful experience. This year they are presenting two venues at the hard to see,the Art Deco Wiltern Theatre at Wilshire Blvd at the Miracle Mile.  It is worth the look.  You won't be disappointed. There will be docents at the theatres ,who will gives you a backstage tour of these Los Angeles Movie Palaces.  The people that come to this event are equally as passionate as the TCM audience.

By the way, Los Angeles has the second largest group of movie palaces and historic theatres in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1