Sign in to follow this  
Gershwin fan

'Star Wars' fans rally around blogger whose emotional trailer reaction went viral: 'Don't let miserable people win'

20 posts in this topic

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-trailer-trolls-attack-eric-butts-191952340.html

On Friday, the first trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker debuted to 70,000 enthusiastic fans at Star Wars Celebration and millions more online. One of those fans was Eric Butts, a Kentucky-based vlogger and filmmaker who taped his emotional reaction to the trailer in real time, only to have the video be distributed and mocked by trolls. But the fan community had his back — and the reaction video that received thousands of hate views has now received countless love notes and retweets from Star Wars enthusiasts, including Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill.

• Thanks 1

Any time I feel like I am developing a smug hipsterism about how profound my disinterest in the STAR WARS Universe is- like, in all seriousness, you would have to pay me to go to an advance preview of this latest one, and I'm talking $60 minimum with a clause that says I can walk after the first half- I remember the fact that if someone told me they had a pristine bootleg DVD of LETTY LYNTON or LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT or (Perchance to Dream?) THE DAY THE CLOWN CRIED that I would let out a scream like NED FLANDERS and wet myself with excitement.

We all got hobbies. We all got interests. We all got things that matter more than they should because they get us through the day.

Long as it ain't hurting anyone, you enjoy the Hell out of whatever it is that floats you.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I dunno.  This person is pretty extreme . . . 

Maybe...

but at the same time, i'm imagining my reaction if you told me I could watch a pristine copy of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT at a two-am screening in a downtown LA Movie palace on a big screen with organ accompaniment and I'm thinking it would be something that would make a group of 11 year old K-POP fans be all "Dude, chill"

• Like 2

Sincere emotional responses are frowned upon by our society, or most societies, really. It may be a lizard-brain reflex to perceived "weakness". While I wouldn't (couldn't?) react to entertainment news this way, many do, just as many also get emotionally worked up about Tiger Woods winning a golf game, or March Madness, or paint their bodies for the big sports game, or wax ecstatic over the return of Game of Thrones, or the release of a new album from their favorite pop tart. 

It fills an emotional need apparently inherent in most people. Or they can be dead inside and never get emotionally invested or excited about anything. It works for me, but I'm also bored and boring.

• Like 2

This guy acts like he's having a profound religious experience.

I suspect that people who think they just saw the Virgin Mary don't get quite as excited as this.

Maybe I shouldn't look down upon him too much, though. Fans at sporting contests can be a lot more animated. I recall I had a sore throat for two weeks after all the screaming I did when I watched Ali beat Foreman on closed circuit. But at least, in my case, I knew Ali was a God.

That what happens when a man lives in his parents basement too long without a date. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Maybe...

but at the same time, i'm imagining my reaction if you told me I could watch a pristine copy of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT at a two-am screening in a downtown LA Movie palace on a big screen with organ accompaniment and I'm thinking it would be something that would make a group of 11 year old K-POP fans be all "Dude, chill"

Yet, somehow I can't see you doing a video and posting it on social media telling everyone how much you are sweating and crying over LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.  Just sayin . . . 

OH, NO. There's another Star Wars movie coming out? :(

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yet, somehow I can't see you doing a video and posting it on social media telling everyone how much you are sweating and crying over LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.  Just sayin . . . 

I could understand London After Mindnight because it's a famous lost film but the oddest part of his reaction is that these Star Wars movies have been churning out every year for the past five years. Though to each their own, I suppose. There's nothing wrong with being happy. I can't recall the last time I got that excited over anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

That what happens when a man lives in his parents basement too long without a date. :wacko:

He's actually married apparently (though admittedly she doesn't seem to share the same enthusiasm with his interests).

Is his reaction a bit extreme? Yes. But obviously Star Wars means a lot to him. I always think it is great when someone has a hobby or an interest that truly brings them joy. It helps you get through the tedious necessary tasks you have to get through in life. That being said, I cry whenever I watch the Disney fireworks shows (both in CA and FL). Disney means a lot to me for reasons I won't go into right now; but it's something that means a lot to me. 

I will admit that I have watched the new teaser trailer about 6 times, and have actually shed tears every time Carrie Fisher makes a screen appearance. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'd love to see this guy get interviewed by Bill Maher.

of-course-i-know-politics-i-was-in-dc-ca

(And he played a pretentious cynical hipster jerk in that one, too...)

13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Me, OTOH, I was in line for the first Star Wars, and certain lightsaber-tossing Empire-fanworshipping jerk directors have severely slashed my interest in what should be the culmination of a fan lifetime for Episode IX.  Even when said fanboy-jerk directors aren't directing it, the taint will never go away.  

The new Disney Parks area, maybe, but I feel as if my democratic defense of "Force Awakens" has forever been betrayed.  😭

• Like 1

Took a lot of guts to post that online, especially in an age when trolling is a semi-professional sport. Keep doing you, Eric. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I could understand London After Mindnight because it's a famous lost film but the oddest part of his reaction is that these Star Wars movies have been churning out every year for the past five years. Though to each their own, I suppose. There's nothing wrong with being happy. I can't recall the last time I got that excited over anything.

I don't like to see anybody bulled over their enthusiasm for something, but what Disney has been churning out for the last few years is NOT Star Wars.  Star Wars actually WAS  the three prequels that Lucas put out at the turn of the century. Granted, it was bad to mediocre Star Wars, but it was connected to the original three from 1977-1983 by characters and philosophy. Disneyfied Star Wars includes some rando female character - Rhea - who just picks up a light sabre and suddenly knows to use it like a black belt when we spent the better part of six years watching Luke Skywalker struggle and fail with both the physical and mental characteristics needed to be a Jedi, the killing off of the original three characters like Star Wars is "The Black Adder", and ,oh, "The Force is Feminine"? Who wrote this stuff anyways? Kirsten "The Future Is Female" Gillibrand? I wouldn't want to see someone bullied for being enthusiastic over artichokes, but that doesn't mean I want to eat one.

Oh, and Lorna, I'd pay eighty bucks to watch the supposedly lost "Convention City".

11 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I don't like to see anybody bulled over their enthusiasm for something, but what Disney has been churning out for the last few years is NOT Star Wars.  Star Wars actually WAS  the three prequels that Lucas put out at the turn of the century. Granted, it was bad to mediocre Star Wars, but it was connected to the original three from 1977-1983 by characters and philosophy. Disneyfied Star Wars includes some rando female character - Rhea - who just picks up a light sabre and suddenly knows to use it like a black belt when we spent the better part of six years watching Luke Skywalker struggle and fail with both the physical and mental characteristics needed to be a Jedi, the killing off of the original three characters like Star Wars is "The Black Adder", and ,oh, "The Force is Feminine"? Who wrote this stuff anyways? Kirsten "The Future Is Female" Gillibrand? I wouldn't want to see someone bullied for being enthusiastic over artichokes, but that doesn't mean I want to eat one.

Oh, and Lorna, I'd pay eighty bucks to watch the supposedly lost "Convention City".

Yeah, this guy's reaction was a bit over the top and I don't care that much about seeing this film but I don't think he deserves so much hate.

14 hours ago, calvinnme said:

the killing off of the original three characters like Star Wars is "The Black Adder",

While this could have been more clearly worded, I believe this above sentiment accurately sums up the first OT character's death in the New Trilogy.  

("Ohh, it's not your fault, Baldrick....(tosses him into pit)")  :D

and ,oh, "The Force is Feminine"? Who wrote this stuff anyways? Kirsten "The Future Is Female" Gillibrand?

No, but fans are starting to set their sights-of-blame on Disney/Lucasfilm producer Kathleen Kennedy, the one who thought we'd all rally around an insufferably spoiled Mary-Sue in "Rogue One", that loved showing off that her daddy helped ruin the Death Star for everyone.

(And this from a fan who still likes Rey, even after everything TLJ tried to do to her...)