Sign in to follow this  
lavenderblue19

Theme Songs That Fit A Movie or TV Show Perfectly

136 posts in this topic

The other day I was listening to the theme song for The Pink Panther. I thought the great Mancini theme song for the film fit perfectly. There's always the theme for the tv show Mission Impossible, another theme song that works. What are some others you think represented a film or tv show perfectly?

• Like 1

The Twilight Zone

Star Trek

Game of Thrones

The Addams Family

Peter Gunn

Miami Vice

It's Garry Shandling's Show

Batman

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Twilight Zone

Star Trek

Game of Thrones

The Addams Family

Peter Gunn

Miami Vice

It's Garry Shandling's Show

Batman

Solid choices.   Nice to see Peter Gunn, another Mancini theme song,  get a mention.   This is my favorite T.V. show as it relates to use of jazz music to set the tone\vibe of the show.

• Like 2

I know it's popular to dislike the work of John Williams now, but I still find many of his themes to be iconic.

• Star Wars
  • Superman
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark

I'm also partial to the work of Ennio Morricone

• A Fistful of Dollars
  • Once Upon a Time in the West
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • The Thing (1982)
  • The Untouchables (1987)

Other random films:

• Halloween (1978) - John Carpenter
  • Conan the Barbarian (1981) - Basil Poledouris 
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Maurice Jarre
  • The Magnificent Seven (1960) - Elmer Bernstein
  • Taxi Driver (1976) - Bernard Hermann
  • Psycho (1960) - Bernard Hermann
  • The Godfather (1972) - Nino Rota
  • Like 6

"e.r." had the greatest television theme song, IMHO. Composer James Newton Howard used a recurring siren sound to set a tone of urgency for the series. But the best thing about the fast-paced opening credits is that it introduced at least 10 regulars in less than a minute.

The series stopped using the theme song after Season 12, but it was brought back during Season 15 for the final episode on April 2, 2009.

As for motion pictures, it's awfully hard to top Oscar-winner Giorgio Moroder's end theme for the 1978 drama "Midnight Express." The film starred the late Brad Davis as the real-life American smuggler Billy Hayes, who escaped from a harsh Turkish prison in 1975.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Solid choices.   Nice to see Peter Gunn, another Mancini theme song,  get a mention.   This is my favorite T.V. show as it relates to use of jazz music to set the tone\vibe of the show.

Got an even better one for you:

Jazz Noir from Elmer Bernstein, that combo features Johnny Williams (yea that John Williams) sounds familiar to a lot of Film Noir themes. This show is quite film noirish. loaded with jazz, and is impressive in the amount of on location NYC sequences. Just watch E1 S1 on a popular streaming video site. I bought the box set on the basis of it alone.

Tell me what you think.

• Like 2

I love the theme song to The Big Country and I may be in the minority but I love the film. The opening theme song is fantastic  and fits the rousing, fast moving stagecoach during the opening credits. 

Goldfinger is another one, not just a great song but fits the film, especially with Shirley Bassey singing it.

• Like 2

We've mentioned it before in another thread Bernard Hermann's haunting opening theme and score for The Ghost  And Mrs. Muir, it fit so perfectly.

Another great one is the theme song for Walk On The Wild Side, the Stanwyck film. also love that black cat walking across the screen during the credits

• Like 3

I've always thought "Love and Marriage" was a perfect theme song for this show, in an ironic way:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Most fun tv theme song to sing along with that also fits perfectly- it's gotta be Frankie Laine singing Rawhide.

I like this one better:

• Like 1

My favorite television theme song of all time is the one for Falcon Crest.

Sometimes there was a longer version when the budget was huge and they had 20 stars to fit into the opening credits.

But I feel the one for season 7 is just the right length, and is complemented by perfectly stunning visuals.

Jane Wyman: classy powerful woman, don't mess with Angela Channing
David Selby: her son, an Achilles heel and a completely charming rascal
Lorenzo Lamas: Angela's grandson, never responsible, never more handsome
Ana-Alicia: causes nothing but trouble for Angela, gorgeous the way a soap diva should be
Brett Cullen: new to the valley, a blond-haired hunk
Margaret Ladd: Angela's mentally challenged daughter, delightful and daffy
John Callahan: Angela's young stepson, an intense heartthrob
Dana Sparks: a cousin in the valley, she's got that old-fashioned Hollywood glamour going on
Chao-Li Chi: Angela's trusted servant, dignified and respectable
Susan Sullivan: Angela's daughter-in-law, our program's long-suffering heroine

I still get chills every time I watch this opening. Bill Conti's music just gets me.