Sign in to follow this  
lavenderblue19

Theme Songs That Fit A Movie or TV Show Perfectly

136 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2019 at 3:35 PM, jakeem said:

I like this one better:

As a kid I grew up watching this show in syndication, and loving the main musical theme, frequently singing the lyrics to myself and anyone who wasn't going to yell, "ENOUGH ALREADY!" when I sang it for the tenth time. My decades long love affair with the droll comedy technique of James Garner all started here.

Okay, here I go again:

"Who is the tall dark stranger there?

Maverick is the name.

Riding a trail to who knows where,

Luck is his companion,

Gambling is his game. . ."

Jakeem already mentioned this musical theme, of course, but I just wanted to re-live the memories of the show once again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Jakeem already mentioned this musical theme, of course, but I just wanted to re-live the memories of the show once again.

Ya gotta love a song that rhymes "companion" and "canyon." The "Maverick" theme was written by the veteran composer David Buttolph and the three-time Oscar-winning lyricist Paul Francis Webster ("Secret Love," "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" and "The Shadow of Your Smile").

I believe there were at least three different versions of the "Maverick" end theme: an instrumental version, the version with vocals and another version with vocals that featured the sounds of a ringing bell and a riverboat whistle.

• Thanks 1

I also love the jazzy theme from the CBS detective series "Mannix," composed by the recent honorary Oscar recipient Lalo Schifrin. It was perfect for the split-screen action shots in the opening credits sequence.

I'm also a fan of the Mannix theme song. Lalo Schifrin also composed the theme to Mission Impossible. He had  that talent of perfectly matching the theme  song with the tv show.

• Like 2

A very favorite song of mine is the beautiful When You Wish Upon A Star from Pinocchio that was sung over the beginning credits by Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket. It was also the theme song to the Walt Disney tv shows. I think using the song was so perfect for the theme song for both Pinocchio and the Disney tv shows.

• Like 1

The theme song for The Sopranos, Woke Up this Morning was perfect for the show. I sang along at the start of each show every Sunday night. Perfect lyrics, perfect music

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The theme song for The Sopranos, Woke Up this Morning was perfect for the show. I sang along at the start of each show every Sunday night. Perfect lyrics, perfect music

The song was a 1997 release by the British band Alabama 3. 

Just seeing the opening credits again reminds me of how great the writers of "The Sopranos" were. Creator David Chase was an Emmy Award-winning producer and writer for "The Rockford Files." Matthew Weiner created the AMC drama series "Mad Men." Terence Winter created the HBO crime drama "Boardwalk Empire." And Robin Green and her husband and co-writer Mitchell Burgess created the CBS police series "Blue Bloods."

• Like 1

Sorry to interrupt, but I just watched a library copy of BERNARD HERRMANN a decent documentary directed by Joshua Waletzky (distributed by Sony) 

Mostly insightful observations of his work, including some comments from studio musicians who played for Herrmann. Thankfully, it was fairly short and didn't dwell much on his personal life.

I highly recommend it for anyone interested in movie music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sorry to interrupt, but I just watched a library copy of BERNARD HERRMANN a decent documentary directed by Joshua Waletzky (distributed by Sony) 

Mostly insightful observations of his work, including some comments from studio musicians who played for Herrmann. Thankfully, it was fairly short and didn't dwell much on his personal life.

I highly recommend it for anyone interested in movie music.

After reading your post here Tiki, I went to YouTube to see if perhaps I could find this documentary on Herrmann you've just mentioned, but it wasn't there.

However, what I DID find was this one, a segment of a British program hosted by Howard Goodall who is a noted musical and television score composer in his own right, and who I felt does a terrific job of analyzing Herrmann's work in the following...

(...thought you and others might be interesting in this...I found it fascinating and Mr. Goodall excellent in his presentation of this material, and was definitely worth the 47 minutes I invested in it)