joshthejbird

Classic Westerns: Great Horse Riding Footage?

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.  I'm a composer looking for some reference footage to write music to...

Looking for beautiful old horse-riding footage from a classic western. Thinking something in the 40s/50s/60s. Preferably in the desert/prairie/any-wide-open-space with a single horse (rider or no-rider) running full speed.

Other horseback scenes with a chase or gunfight going on would work to.  Doesn't absolutely have to be from a western either (think some of the horse riding scenes in the 1953 Film, White Mane).

Any scene from a specific movie jumping to mind?  

I've done a ton of digging on google, but this stuff is harder to find than I would've thought. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, joshthejbird said:

Hi Guys.  I'm a composer looking for some reference footage to write music to...

Looking for beautiful old horse-riding footage from a classic western. Thinking something in the 40s/50s/60s. Preferably in the desert/prairie/any-wide-open-space with a single horse (rider or no-rider) running full speed.

Other horseback scenes with a chase or gunfight going on would work to.  Doesn't absolutely have to be from a western either (think some of the horse riding scenes in the 1953 Film, White Mane).

Any scene from a specific movie jumping to mind?  

I've done a ton of digging on google, but this stuff is harder to find than I would've thought. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Josh. Welcome to the message boards.

Yvonne De Carlo was an expert horsewoman and did all of her own riding and many of her stunts.

There are some great scenes with her riding through open spaces, usually at high speed. Look at FRONTIER GAL (1945) and TOMAHAWK (1951). Both these Universal westerns are in Technicolor and on DVD.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.11.15 PM.jpg

• Thanks 1

Maybe Bite the Bullet (1975) About a long distance horse race in the old west.

Or this

7 minutes ago, TOASTnJAM said:

Maybe Bite the Bullet (1975) About a long distance horse race in the old west.

Or this

Thanks for this!  The YouTube clip is perfect.  Do you know what it's from or where I can find a better version?  

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Hi Josh. Welcome to the message boards.

Yvonne De Carlo was an expert horsewoman and did all of her own riding and many of her stunts.

There are some great scenes with her riding through open spaces, usually at high speed. Look at FRONTIER GAL (1945) and TOMAHAWK (1951). Both these Universal westerns are in Technicolor and on DVD.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.11.15 PM.jpg

Thanks for this!  I'll check these out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joshthejbird said:

Thanks for this!  The YouTube clip is perfect.  Do you know what it's from or where I can find a better version?  

I think that clip is from Conquista (1971). I recall seeing it decades ago on public television. No clue where to find a better version.

One of the best horsemen was Ben Johnson, who had been a rodeo cowboy.  In this clip from "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", you will see that he does all of his own riding in this chase scene.