Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Sally Field

10 posts in this topic

Hey.  Happy Easter everybody.  I hope you all have a really wonderful Easter today.  I will.  How many seasons did Sally Field co-host with Robert Osbourne?  Only one right and then they were going to have another season with her and then the schedule got messed up right and Ben Mainkawitz filled in and still showed the movies on the Essentials schedule and then Robert Osbourne had some health issues and left for a while to take care of himself and spend some time with his friends and family.  Then he was going to come back and then he died right?  I still really miss him a whole lot.  He was a really great man.  Wasn’t he?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Sally only hosted for one season.  I would presume that Robert Osborne's health problems are what prevented him from continuing the series.  The Essentials disappeared from the schedule about at the same time that RO stopped introducing the films.  Ben Mankiewicz' presence on the channel increased at about this time as well.  

I believe that viewers were told that Robert was just on a break and that he would be back.  I have a feeling that that was wishful thinking on TCM's part.  I think the hiring of Tiffany, later Alicia, Dave and Mankiewicz' increased role on the channel indicated that TCM didn't really think RO would come back.

I wish that RO would have been given a proper send-off.  While I know the seriousness of his health problems may not have been known (or perhaps TCM personnel were in denial), Robert just disappeared from the channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I believe Sally only hosted for one season.  I would presume that Robert Osborne's health problems are what prevented him from continuing the series.  The Essentials disappeared from the schedule about at the same time that RO stopped introducing the films.  Ben Mankiewicz' presence on the channel increased at about this time as well.  

I believe that viewers were told that Robert was just on a break and that he would be back.  I have a feeling that that was wishful thinking on TCM's part.  I think the hiring of Tiffany, later Alicia, Dave and Mankiewicz' increased role on the channel indicated that TCM didn't really think RO would come back.

I wish that RO would have been given a proper send-off.  While I know the seriousness of his health problems may not have been known (or perhaps TCM personnel were in denial), Robert just disappeared from the channel.

If I recall, he did continue to write a column for the Now Playing magazine. The magazine folded around the time of his death. I would imagine his partner was helping him with the column and staying somewhat active with TCM, despite worsening health towards the end. My guess is he probably was too ill to continue all those wraparounds and a series like Essentials. 

His last regular appearance on TCM was in February 2016 I think. He had filmed a guest programmer segment with Candice Bergen which was held back and did not air until the summer. So that was technically the last time he had an on-air duty.

He was interviewed at the end of December 2016 on a Sunday morning program when Debbie Reynolds died. It might have been his last on camera appearance. He didn't look very healthy in that segment.

In 2016 there were rumors TCM was not planning to renew his contract, and he was being eased out. Perhaps this decision is really what led them to expand Ben's duties and find other hosts. They were starting to chase a more youthful demographic (youthful for TCM).

One of the problems they faced in 2016 is that since 1994 they had put Robert in so many roles he became the face of TCM. Then when he took ill and they were not going to keep him on the air, they couldn't just axe him. That would have created a huge backlash, and their brand would have suffered because he was so identified with them.

He already had some health problems back in 2013 or 2014 where he took five months off. That's when they should have started adding another host and scaling back his responsibilities. But they seemed to want to get the most they could out of him. When it no longer became tenable, he just stopped appearing and they created the illusion he might come back. But by mid-2016, I am sure they knew he was never coming back. Continuing to do the columns for Now Playing was probably a small compromise and a way for him to still fulfill his last contractual obligations.

As for Sally Field, I believe she had signed on to do a second year of Essentials. She was interviewed about it and said the second season would be delayed. But then it was scrapped and nothing else was said about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s right.  I remember when he came back to host the Guest Programmer series a few times before his death.  I don’t think he did his normal time slot though.  Only his normal time slot when he did the Guest Programmer series.  He was a really wonderful man.  Wasn’t he?  I actually cried when he passed away and when I herd that he’d passed away and I still really miss him so much.  We all do.  Don’t we and he is still with us everyday and he will always be with us everyday.  Forever.  I think about him everyday when and as I watch TCM.  We all think about him everyday when and as we watch TCM.  Don’t we and we all really loved and really love him a whole lot didn’t we and don’t we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Don’t we and we all really loved and really love him a whole lot didn’t we and don’t we?

"Do we?"
"Yeah, we did."
"We did, didn't we?
"Yeah, we do."
"Don't we, 'dough?"

4.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sally Field is currently appeared at the Old Vic in London in Arthur Miller's All My Sons. I'm going to see the play on Thursday.

https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2019/all-my-sons

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In the role of the wife/mother, played by Mady Christians in the 1948 movie..?

Yes. Annette Bening is currently playing the role on Broadway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Yes. Annette Bening is currently playing the role on Broadway.

It's a story very much of its time...so I assume there is some sort of political updating, otherwise it wouldn't be relevant for today's audiences.

The film is currently on YouTube, in English with English subtitles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It's a story very much of its time...so I assume there is some sort of political updating, otherwise it wouldn't be relevant for today's audiences.

The film is currently on YouTube, in English with English subtitles.

From what I've read, I think the play is actually more powerful than the film.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us