Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

TCM relaunches The Essentials on May the 4th

51 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I meant those two particular people. If they were relevant, they would be sought after for their opinions. And they aren't. And there is a reason for that.

There is a big difference between stars and those who merely interviewed the stars. Let's not confuse the two. You will never ever hear me demean an actor from that golden age. But, those who were just tangentially involved in Hollywood, its a case by case basis.

In this day in age, all people should have an opportunity. Not only those who thrived when the opportunities were limited. All of the past was not glorious. Some parts need to be left in the past.

It might be more palatable for some, less for others I suppose, depending on various and sundry factors quantified or unquantified, rational or irrational.

No worries though.  I'll just leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see a retrospective of British films from the 1930s/1940s/1950s/1960s.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Ouch!

Well I was at least halfway serious about Cavett, considering all the classic stars he had extended interviews with during the run of his show - and he is still with us.  But I suppose you could just pop those up on Youtube or similar.

I wouldn't mind Dick Cavett on TCM.  I like him.  He would be an excellent asset, if only because he actually interviewed many old Hollywood stars when they were still working and promoting their latest projects.  I don't mind his line of questioning, only because he would sometimes ask off the wall questions.  He also had a knack for getting stars to talk about aspects of their lives that they may normally be reluctant to discuss.  Cavett also had a way at putting his guest at ease.  Look at his 2-part interview with Katharine Hepburn.  While there is no studio audience, Hepburn was very reluctant to partake in the interview until she checked out his show and set-up. 

I'd very much welcome Cavett on TCM.  Johnny Carson would have been my first choice, but since he's no longer with us, I'd take Cavett in a heartbeat.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I wouldn't mind Dick Cavett on TCM.  I like him.  He would be an excellent asset, if only because he actually interviewed many old Hollywood stars when they were still working and promoting their latest projects.  I don't mind his line of questioning, only because he would sometimes ask off the wall questions.  He also had a knack for getting stars to talk about aspects of their lives that they may normally be reluctant to discuss.  Cavett also had a way at putting his guest at ease.  Look at his 2-part interview with Katharine Hepburn.  While there is no studio audience, Hepburn was very reluctant to partake in the interview until she checked out his show and set-up. 

I'd very much welcome Cavett on TCM.  Johnny Carson would have been my first choice, but since he's no longer with us, I'd take Cavett in a heartbeat.  

Dick Cavett was on the last TCM cruise and he was my second favorite interview after Jerry Lewis. He has lead an interesting life. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE No Dick Cavett. I didnt realize how bad he was until I watched some of his interviews recently. I remember liking him somewhat back in the day. But even then found him too cutesy and full of himself. Please stay retired. He must be pushing 80 by now.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Filmmaker Ava DuVernay shares her favorite classic films

 

"........part of the reason for having a filmmaker like DuVernay collaborate for the series is because of the unique perspective she’d bring as a black woman filmmaker. And she did not disappoint.

DuVernay programmed documentaries, first features and important films by black filmmakers like Julie Dash, who directed and produced the groundbreaking film “Daughters of the Dust.” She also included works from female directors like the late Agnes Varda’s first film “La Point Courte” and Chantal Akerman’s “The Meetings of Anna”; international films that had a profound effect on her, like Satyajit Ray’s debut “Pather Panchali”; and important landmarks in representation, like “Sounder” and “Claudine.”

“People who love movies benefit from thinking globally about film — globally literally and globally figuratively,” Mankiewicz said....

https://apnews.com/7b0a74a2c80d4b1d9686dbe750629f2f?utm_medium=APEntertainment&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TCMVerified account @tcm

 
 
.@BenMank77 and @Ava discuss pursuing progress for diversity in Hollywood. The conversation continues  tonight at 8pm ET with Haile Gerima's ASHES AND EMBERS ('82). #TCMEssentials

=============================

 

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 6m6 minutes ago

 

Tonight on @tcm, many of you will be exposed to Ashes & Embers for the first time - as I was - by @ava DuVernay.

And let me tell you, there is no better entry into this film than she provides. The movie expanded my world. I suspect it will yours. #TheEssentials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ava DuVernayVerified account @ava 5h5 hours ago

 
 

 This week’s film is very different in its tone and aesthetic. But still about a lonely man longing for a better life. An underseen gem by a master of cinema that not enough filmlovers know.

Watch with an open mind + heart. And revel at the work of the great Haile Gerima!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how has this been going...?

Do viewers like the new cohost of Essentials and the films she's chosen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the pick this week is a bit of a safe choice compared to the first two. More people should see the Apu trilogy so hopefully watching Pather will get folks to dig for the other two. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think PATHER PANCHALI was so much a safe choice as it was a wise choice. Many folks (including myself) may have not heard of many of these films. That doesn't mean they have no interest, but mixing in some international films that are better known is a good idea. Otherwise, it's just "Ava's Essentials" instead of "The Essentials." 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see why TCM chose Ava DuVernay since she could provide a much wider and more current opinion/approach to filmmaking.

But if I had the opportunity to select a cohost for the Essentials and IF they were still alive, I would have chosen Siskel or Ebert. In 1975, Ebert became the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism. So at least in some quarters he was at least consider an authority on film critcism. Plus he had such a wonderful conversational way about him. Very approachable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fxreyman said:

I can see why TCM chose Ava DuVernay since she could provide a much wider and more current opinion/approach to filmmaking.

But if I had the opportunity to select a cohost for the Essentials and IF they were still alive, I would have chosen Siskel or Ebert. In 1975, Ebert became the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism. So at least in some quarters he was at least consider an authority on film critcism. Plus he had such a wonderful conversational way about him. Very approachable.

Speaking of Ava DuVernay:

I know we're all looking forward to her new series on Netflix concerning

The Central Park 5 miscarriage of Justice:

"When They See Us" .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, TopBilled said:

So how has this been going...?

Do viewers like the new cohost of Essentials and the films she's chosen? 

Yeah, I saw it and the intro was okay and I always love seeing that film so this week gets a good score by me. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, mr6666 said:

Ava DuVernayVerified account @ava 4h4 hours ago

 

This was a geeky black girl filmlover’s dream.

Glad she clarified....? We saw her introduce some film and had no idea who she is, or even that she is a "geeky black girl".

Her insights were nothing special. But then again, I don't know how much better anyone else could do in that position. Alec Baldwin was my favorite as he was opinionated & outspoken.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Glad she clarified....? We saw her introduce some film and had no idea who she is, or even that she is a "geeky black girl".

Her insights were nothing special. But then again, I don't know how much better anyone else could do in that position. Alec Baldwin was my favorite as he was opinionated & outspoken.

Yes, these newer ones tend to be a bit more bland. They're trying to be so politically correct they're afraid to venture any substantial opinions or beliefs.

My favorite was Rose McGowan...I liked her selections. I think she's a subpar actress in her own films, but as a host she brought a sensibility about acting to her commentaries. Like she would often help the viewer understand why the actor or actress on screen made the choices they did, in terms of interpreting the character. So I found McGowan's approach to be the right combination of "I'm a fan" but "I'm also a working actress and this is how they did it." I expected this from Sally Field, but was disappointed because Field seemed to be more reserved in her comments. But McGowan wasn't afraid to dissect the acting, which I appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, these newer ones tend to be a bit more bland. They're trying to be so politically correct they're afraid to venture any substantial opinions or beliefs.

Ha! Ava DuVernay bland? Just wait a few episodes.

Image result for ava duvernay

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Ha! Ava DuVernay bland? Just wait a few episodes.

Image result for ava duvernay

I didn't mean bland in appearance. I meant bland in terms of what she's saying about film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't mean bland in appearance. I meant bland in terms of what she's saying about film.

I didn't mean bland in appearance, either.

Image result for ava duvernay

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Have You Seen Her Central Park 5 series on Netflix?

It's not available until May 31st.

However, I've seen her excellent documentary 13th, and the film Selma, which was good if flawed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

It's not available until May 31st.

However, I've seen her excellent documentary 13th, and the film Selma, which was good if flawed.

If you're on Netflix, maybe you can let me know how it goes because I don't pay for any of my TV or movie viewing. 

The only time recently I was forced to Shell out some bucks was for Bette Davis' and Joan Crawford's "FEUD".

 I'm only human. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Have You Seen Her Central Park 5 series on Netflix?

It's titled "When They See Us," and early reviews by critics have been excellent. The best news is that the New York real estate mogul who campaigned in favor of the death penalty for the accused isn't being portrayed by anyone. Film footage is used instead.

It worked well in "All the President's Men."

By the way, that real estate mogul still refuses to admit the Five were innocent.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakeem said:

It's titled "When They See Us," and early reviews by critics have been excellent. The best news is that the New York real estate mogul who campaigned in favor of the death penalty for the accused isn't being portrayed by anyone. Film footage is used instead.

It worked well in "All the President's Men."

By the way, that real estate mogul still refuses to admit the Five were innocent.

I first found out about all this from a PBS documentary that Ken Burns did.

After the Five were pronounced innocent and released from prison, they were given some Financial recompense.

The often bankrupt NY Real Estate Mogul complained publicly that it was too much money for them.

 This Ken Burns documentary, " The Central Park 5 " from 2012 is a riveting excellent documentary that I think few people have seen.

 At times it's truly frightening in its realism.

 Have you seen it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us