Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

TCM relaunches The Essentials on May the 4th

33 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I meant those two particular people. If they were relevant, they would be sought after for their opinions. And they aren't. And there is a reason for that.

There is a big difference between stars and those who merely interviewed the stars. Let's not confuse the two. You will never ever hear me demean an actor from that golden age. But, those who were just tangentially involved in Hollywood, its a case by case basis.

In this day in age, all people should have an opportunity. Not only those who thrived when the opportunities were limited. All of the past was not glorious. Some parts need to be left in the past.

It might be more palatable for some, less for others I suppose, depending on various and sundry factors quantified or unquantified, rational or irrational.

No worries though.  I'll just leave it at that.

I would like to see a retrospective of British films from the 1930s/1940s/1950s/1960s.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Ouch!

Well I was at least halfway serious about Cavett, considering all the classic stars he had extended interviews with during the run of his show - and he is still with us.  But I suppose you could just pop those up on Youtube or similar.

I wouldn't mind Dick Cavett on TCM.  I like him.  He would be an excellent asset, if only because he actually interviewed many old Hollywood stars when they were still working and promoting their latest projects.  I don't mind his line of questioning, only because he would sometimes ask off the wall questions.  He also had a knack for getting stars to talk about aspects of their lives that they may normally be reluctant to discuss.  Cavett also had a way at putting his guest at ease.  Look at his 2-part interview with Katharine Hepburn.  While there is no studio audience, Hepburn was very reluctant to partake in the interview until she checked out his show and set-up. 

I'd very much welcome Cavett on TCM.  Johnny Carson would have been my first choice, but since he's no longer with us, I'd take Cavett in a heartbeat.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I wouldn't mind Dick Cavett on TCM.  I like him.  He would be an excellent asset, if only because he actually interviewed many old Hollywood stars when they were still working and promoting their latest projects.  I don't mind his line of questioning, only because he would sometimes ask off the wall questions.  He also had a knack for getting stars to talk about aspects of their lives that they may normally be reluctant to discuss.  Cavett also had a way at putting his guest at ease.  Look at his 2-part interview with Katharine Hepburn.  While there is no studio audience, Hepburn was very reluctant to partake in the interview until she checked out his show and set-up. 

I'd very much welcome Cavett on TCM.  Johnny Carson would have been my first choice, but since he's no longer with us, I'd take Cavett in a heartbeat.  

Dick Cavett was on the last TCM cruise and he was my second favorite interview after Jerry Lewis. He has lead an interesting life. 

• Like 2

PLEASE No Dick Cavett. I didnt realize how bad he was until I watched some of his interviews recently. I remember liking him somewhat back in the day. But even then found him too cutesy and full of himself. Please stay retired. He must be pushing 80 by now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Filmmaker Ava DuVernay shares her favorite classic films

"........part of the reason for having a filmmaker like DuVernay collaborate for the series is because of the unique perspective she’d bring as a black woman filmmaker. And she did not disappoint.

DuVernay programmed documentaries, first features and important films by black filmmakers like Julie Dash, who directed and produced the groundbreaking film “Daughters of the Dust.” She also included works from female directors like the late Agnes Varda’s first film “La Point Courte” and Chantal Akerman’s “The Meetings of Anna”; international films that had a profound effect on her, like Satyajit Ray’s debut “Pather Panchali”; and important landmarks in representation, like “Sounder” and “Claudine.”

“People who love movies benefit from thinking globally about film — globally literally and globally figuratively,” Mankiewicz said....

https://apnews.com/7b0a74a2c80d4b1d9686dbe750629f2f?utm_medium=APEntertainment&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

TCMVerified account @tcm

.@BenMank77 and @Ava discuss pursuing progress for diversity in Hollywood. The conversation continues  tonight at 8pm ET with Haile Gerima's ASHES AND EMBERS ('82). #TCMEssentials

=============================

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 6m6 minutes ago

Tonight on @tcm, many of you will be exposed to Ashes & Embers for the first time - as I was - by @ava DuVernay.

And let me tell you, there is no better entry into this film than she provides. The movie expanded my world. I suspect it will yours. #TheEssentials

Ava DuVernayVerified account @ava 5h5 hours ago

This week’s film is very different in its tone and aesthetic. But still about a lonely man longing for a better life. An underseen gem by a master of cinema that not enough filmlovers know.

Watch with an open mind + heart. And revel at the work of the great Haile Gerima!