Sign in to follow this  
chillyfillyinak

What, no TCM online film course this summer?

14 posts in this topic

Gosh, I have been waiting for the announcement of the online film course for summer 2019. Where is it? (Don't disappoint me!).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chillyfillyinak said:

Gosh, I have been waiting for the announcement of the online film course for summer 2019. Where is it? (Don't disappoint me!).

I believe the course won't occur until July, so it's a bit early for them to announce it. 

The History of Science Fiction begins on the 2nd of July and will run over five different Tuesdays.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, TopBilled said:

I believe the course won't occur until July, so it's a bit early for them to announce it. 

The History of Science Fiction begins on the 2nd of July and will run over five different Tuesdays.

Thanks, I think. Science fiction? And I thought nothing could be worse than the slapstick course...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chillyfillyinak said:

Thanks, I think. Science fiction? And I thought nothing could be worse than the slapstick course...

I think they're trying to cover all the main Hollywood genres. They haven't done horror yet, so that's probably next year.

2 hours ago, spauldingd said:

Good news! I did the Musicals course last year but my heart just wasn’t in it.

We all have genres we enjoy, and genres we enjoy less.

Science fiction - the one genre I really don't watch.  I'm not knocking it, but it's just not my thing.  So I'll skip this year.  Too bad.  I'd like to see courses that don't necessarily focus on genre.  Like the Hitchcock course was great.  How about another director?  Or music in films?  Thanks for the info.

37 minutes ago, LRH6 said:

Science fiction - the one genre I really don't watch.  I'm not knocking it, but it's just not my thing.  So I'll skip this year.  Too bad.  I'd like to see courses that don't necessarily focus on genre.  Like the Hitchcock course was great.  How about another director?  Or music in films?  Thanks for the info.

Maybe if you tune in, you'll develop an appreciation for science fiction films. Just a thought.

35 minutes ago, Ihopetheresice said:

According to TCM’s twitter they will not be offering a course this year. It would appear the sci-fi lineup in July is just a themed selection for the month. I’ve attached the link where TCM replies to someone about it. 

https://twitter.com/tcm/status/1131225881161216000?s=21

Oh wow. That's interesting. I am sure plenty of people will be disappointed.

• Sad 1

I was getting a little worried that there hadn't been any mention of a summer course yet.  I remembered there being promos well in advance of the start time - but I was probably anxious for it to start haha.  Horror and science fiction are both genres that I would not normally seek out - which is EXACTLY why I would be interested in learning more.  Which is the point after all. I'll still be anxiously waiting.  . . Highlight of my summers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColoLynn said:

I was getting a little worried that there hadn't been any mention of a summer course yet.  I remembered there being promos well in advance of the start time - but I was probably anxious for it to start haha.  Horror and science fiction are both genres that I would not normally seek out - which is EXACTLY why I would be interested in learning more.  Which is the point after all. I'll still be anxiously waiting.  . . Highlight of my summers 

Well, I think they have a good slate of science fiction films planned for July. Even if there is no course to accompany it, you will still enjoy watching what the channel has to offer next month.

I still haven't received any announcements about this summer's course.  Just want to be sure I didn't miss anything!  I loved last year's!!

45 minutes ago, lmzeigler said:

I still haven't received any announcements about this summer's course.  Just want to be sure I didn't miss anything!  I loved last year's!!

If you scroll up and read the other comments in the thread, you will see there is no summer course this year.