Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1950

3 posts in this topic

The 50s might have become rocky years for Fox, but in 1950, at least, they included a Best Picture winner among their ranks.....

Dan Dailey started the year with John Ford's war comedy When Willie Comes Marching Home.

220px-When_Willie_Comes_Marching_Home_-_

Marie Windsor got into gunslinging mode in Dakota Lil.

220px-Dakota_Lil_poster.jpg

Claudette Colbert was a captive in a POW camp in Three Came Home.

220px-3CameHomePoster.jpg

Dorothy McGuire was in love in the comedy Mother Didn't Tell Me

220px-Mother_Didn't_Tell_Me_poster.jpg

John Garfield appeared in two 1950 films based on Hemingway stories. The Breaking Point was definitely the more well known one, but Under My Skin was the one at Fox.

MV5BYzg3NTllMDYtODAyNS00YjQwLTliZmEtMzQy

Betty Grable returned in the musical Wabash Avenue with Victor Mature and Phil Harris (actually married in real life to Fox's earlier blonde musical star, Alice Faye)

Wabashavenue1950.jpg

Cheaper by the Dozen has long been entrenched as a family classic, and it is fully deserving of that status. It is both amusing and tender by turns, and William Powell and Myrna Loy are both wonderful in it.

225px-Cheaper_by_the_dozen_film_poster.j

Montgomery Clift appeared in The Big Lift, about the Berlin airlift.

220px-Poster_of_the_movie_The_Big_Lift.j

Dan Dailey and Anne Baxter were reunited for a Western musical comedy, A Ticket to Tomahawk.

125px-Ticket11.jpg

Romantic comedy was mixed with crime when Paul Douglas and Jean Peters were an item in Love that Brute.

Love_That_Brute_poster.jpg

Night and the City was done in England since Jules Dassin, the director, was blacklisted. It was a superior noir with Richard Widmark in fine fettle.

Nightandthecity.jpg

Widmark was back trying to prevent plague from being unleashed in Panic in the Streets.

220px-Panic_in_the_Streets_(1950).jpg

Gregory Peck was the titular character in The Gunfighter.

220px-The_Gunfighter.jpg

Dana and Gene reunited again for another turn in well-regarded noir with Where the Sidewalk Ends.

MV5BYTIwMWMxZjctMTQyNC00ZTljLThlOWItOTQ0

Ann Sheridan and Victor Mature appeared in Stella, a body-hiding dark comedy that had a few years up on The Trouble with Harry.

MV5BMjc2Nzc0NGEtYjJjMS00OTYxLTkyYTAtNzZi

Broken Arrow was one of the best westerns of the golden age of Hollywood, due to its nuanced treatment of its Native American characters that was years ahead of its time.

Broken_Arrow_Film_Poster.jpg

The Cariboo Trail found Randolph Scott out west again.

The_Cariboo_Trail_film_poster.jpg

No Way out found Richard Widmark playing a hateful bigot and was also the beginning of Sidney Poitier's career.

No_Way_Out_(1950_film)_poster.jpg

Tyrone Power and Orson Welles were reteamed in the historical fiction epic The Black Rose.

TheBlackRose.jpg

Farewell to Yesterday was a solemn documentary showing the errors that led to the evil in Europe that spawned WWII

farewell-to-yesterday-australian-movie-p

Betty Grable and Dan Dailey starred as a musical couple switching from radio to TV in My Blue Heaven. This might be one of the earliest films where TV provides a major element of the plot.

Blueheaven.jpg

Mister 880 was a crime comedy with Edmund Gwenn nominated for an Oscar as a hapless counterfeiter.

Mister_880.jpg

I'll Get By was a remake of Tin Pan Alley, with June Haver and Gloria De Haven as the musical sisters this time around.

I'll_Get_By_FilmPoster.jpeg

Two Flags West was a Civil War drama with Joseph Cotten.

220px-Two-Flags-West-poster.jpg

All About Eve is a landmark of the cinema and is one of Bette Davis best known roles. It won for Best Picture of 1950 and is to this day regarded as one of the best films ever put to celluloid. 

MV5BMTY2MTAzODI5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjM4

James Stewart's life was turned upside down after striking it rich in The Jackpot.

The_Jackpot_-_1950-_Poster.png

Fritz Lang directed Tyrone Power in the war film American Guerrilla in the Phillipines

American_Guerrilla_in_the_Philippines.jp

Mickey Rooney took to roller-skating in The Fireball.

MV5BMzlhY2ZlN2ItZWFiYS00MWU2LWJhMjItOWM5

Irene Dunne was Queen Victoria in The Mudlark, a saga where a little boy met the Queen.

MV5BMzEyMWYxNGUtZDRlYy00N2ZjLTg0NGYtZTUx

Clifton Webb was an angel sent to aid Joan Bennett and Bob Cumming's marriage in For Heaven's Sake.

MV5BN2M2ZjQ1OTEtMjRkNi00ZDBjLWFjYWQtY2Jh

the year came to a close with the noir melodrama the Man Who Cheated Himself.

220px-TheManWhoCheatedHimself1950.jpg

• Like 4

This was definitely a strong year for the studio, across all genres. 

I'm surprised how many of these Fox movies I've seen.  And I enjoyed them all.  I can't even choose a winner in each category because there are two or three that stand out. 

• Like 1