Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Predicting the future: films in the 2020s

52 posts in this topic

There's a recently created thread on the best of the 2010s. 

So I have to ask, what trends do you think we'll see in films of the 2020s.

Also which stars of the current decade will still draw big box office, and which stars will probably fade from view?

screen-shot-2019-05-02-at-3.36.25-pm.jpe

I think the superhero movies will come to an end at least (hopefully). 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The 2020s will be the decade of female directors at the Academy Awards. Only one woman -- Kathryn Bigelow (pictured below) -- has ever won the Best Director Oscar. I have a feeling that will change.

Image result for kathryn bigelow oscar win

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jakeem said:

The 2020s will be the decade of female directors at the Academy Awards. Only one woman -- Kathryn Bigelow (pictured below) -- has ever won the Best Director Oscar. I have a feeling that will change.

Image result for kathryn bigelow oscar win

Like her sex? :blink:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Huh?

He's joking that she looks masculine like a transgender. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

And "she" won't require that much testosterone. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I thought as much, but was giving him the benefit of the doubt, for some reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think the superhero movies will come to an end at least (hopefully). 

And there's...

STL115119_large.jpg?v=1555566436

a-teen-titans-superhero-comic-book-featu

50.jpg?1486692202

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought as much, but was giving him the benefit of the doubt, for some reason.

Maybe you are wondering why they are making fun in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Maybe you are wondering why they are making fun in the first place.

Yeah, if she's "masculine", then we need more masculine women.

Kathryn-Bigelow-Feet-545381.jpg

• Like 5

I think the technology and 3D will advance to a holographic level. Maybe looking like a stage performance with holograms looking like people. They have already done similar things at concerts to make deceased singers appear to be on stage singing with a live band.

I'm curious what direction society will go. Now that we have more diversity, I think some of this PC stuff will go away (hopefully). And some of the banned films will be shown. Some taboo topics will be broached bit by bit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I'm curious what direction society will go. Now that we have more diversity, I think some of this PC stuff will go away (hopefully). And some of the banned films will be shown. Some taboo topics will be broached bit by bit.

Which films are banned? Song of the South? Which others? I'm sure you know this, but you can still find that online if you're interested.

And what topics are currently taboo? I can't think of anything that's off limits when it comes to story content.

I predict THIS guy will return from the dead and will once again begin making predictions...

criswell.jpg 

(...of course then again, my prediction here will probably turn out to be as wildly inaccurate as his were back in the day)

;)

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Which films are banned? Song of the South? Which others? I'm sure you know this, but you can still find that online if you're interested.

And what topics are currently taboo? I can't think of anything that's off limits when it comes to story content.

Not necessarily banned as much as not being shown because people would protest. People have been very sensitive the past few years. That can't last much longer.

Frankly, I can find just about every film discussed on this site in about 5 minutes. And obtain it in about 20 minutes. This is the internet yanno.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Not necessarily banned as much as not being shown because people would protest. People have been very sensitive the past few years. That can't last much longer.

Frankly, I can find just about every film discussed on this site in about 5 minutes. And obtain it in about 20 minutes. This is the internet yanno.

I sure hope you're right here, Gerald.

(...but considering the latest strong social trend to the contrary, I'm not holding on to a lot of hope that your prediction will come true)

39 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I sure hope you're right here, Gerald.

(...but considering the latest strong social trend to the contrary, I'm not holding on to a lot of hope that your prediction will come true)

I know quite a few young people who totally disagree with much of what's going on. Many of them are interested in what they see in classic films. "50's Lifestyle" is a hot topic all over the net. They think what they see on the screen is how it really was. And prefer that life to what we have today. They don't speak out too much because its so against what the media reports.

There is bound to be a culture clash at some point. That trend has to have some impact on entertainment.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

What do you mean by "not being shown"? As you point out in your tiny font, all of those movies are available on the internet, so are you referring to the "old" way of watching movies? I believe that you've frequently stated that people must look forward or be left behind, and that streaming is the "relevant" thing to do. 

And what movies are not being shown, beyond Song of the South, due to political reasons? If you can't name examples, then it's just more reactionary paranoia (and I mean that in the nicest way possible; I enjoy your posts, and don't wish to trigger any animosity). 

You also didn't mention what you meant by "taboo topics" that aren't being covered. Could you elaborate on that?

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What do you mean by "not being shown"? As you point out in your tiny font, all of those movies are available on the internet, so are you referring to the "old" way of watching movies? I believe that you've frequently stated that people must look forward or be left behind, and that streaming is the "relevant" thing to do. 

The tiny font referred to the more nefarious, less legal ways to view films.

And what movies are not being shown, beyond Song of the South, due to political reasons? If you can't name examples, then it's just more reactionary paranoia (and I mean that in the nicest way possible; I enjoy your posts, and don't wish to trigger any animosity). 

There is never any animosity here is there ? :lol: Its those political reasons I'm referring to. Think of the last administration to the present one. I don't think you could create a more radical difference between the two. I think major changes might be happening in entertainment also.

You also didn't mention what you meant by "taboo topics" that aren't being covered. Could you elaborate on that?

Those films with black/red/yellow/etc... face, films with songs like those the Kate Smith used to sing, any derogatory language. Films that may have promoted a particular political belief.

I don't welcome this content but, I do believe in freedom of speech. I think in the 2020's people will have a thicker skin about things. just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

The tiny font referred to the more nefarious, less legal ways to view films.

There is never any animosity here is there ? :lol: Its those political reasons I'm referring to. Think of the last administration to the present one. I don't think you could create a more radical difference between the two. I think major changes might be happening in entertainment also.

Those films with black/red/yellow/etc... face, films with songs like those the Kate Smith used to sing, any derogatory language. Films that may have promoted a particular political belief.

I don't welcome this content but, I do believe in freedom of speech. I think in the 2020's people will have a thicker skin about things. just my opinion.

Okay, I see. I thought you meant that contemporary films were not broaching taboo subjects. 

I'm also very anti-censorship. But I recognize that privately-held companies (Disney) have the right to withdraw products (Song of the South) that they feel may adversely impact their bottom line. To me, the companies aren't to blame as much as the very vocal minority of people who complain about such things, and then the snowballing "outrage" machine that is social media going into effect as they call for boycotts, etc.

The industry has become more likely to bow to such pressure, and even proactively act before any real outrage has occurred. For example, after the recent college bribery scandal, Hallmark pulled all of the films and shows that Lori Loughlin appeared in, as did Netflix, which also pulled a movie with Felicity Huffman. I can't recall seeing anyone outraged that movies featuring either were available (my guess is most people don't care).

As for things in the coming decade getting better when it comes to hyper-sensitivity and social media outrage, I don't see any evidence that it's going away, unfortunately. It's a power-trip for some, and it doesn't take much to tweet outrage or complain on Instagram, which is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

screen-shot-2019-05-02-at-6.27.10-am.jpe

Interesting posts. Has anyone seen the list of films that are already scheduled for next year? There are 78 of them so far. Sequels like GHOSTBUSTERS 3 and remakes like DUNE. Also movies inspired by classic televisions programs, such as FANTASY ISLAND. Plus we're getting the 25th James Bond film next April.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_film

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Okay, I see. I thought you meant that contemporary films were not broaching taboo subjects. 

I'm also very anti-censorship. But I recognize that privately-held companies (Disney) have the right to withdraw products (Song of the South) that they feel may adversely impact their bottom line. To me, the companies aren't to blame as much as the very vocal minority of people who complain about such things, and then the snowballing "outrage" machine that is social media going into effect as they call for boycotts, etc.

The industry has become more likely to bow to such pressure, and even proactively act before any real outrage has occurred. For example, after the recent college bribery scandal, Hallmark pulled all of the films and shows that Lori Loughlin appeared in, as did Netflix, which also pulled a movie with Felicity Huffman. I can't recall seeing anyone outraged that movies featuring either were available (my guess is most people don't care).

As for things in the coming decade getting better when it comes to hyper-sensitivity and social media outrage, I don't see any evidence that it's going away, unfortunately. It's a power-trip for some, and it doesn't take much to tweet outrage or complain on Instagram, which is all it takes to get the ball rolling.

I think InstaFace, Twitbook etc... is just a fad. Just like Myspace, AOL and all the others. The kids have already moved to new apps and sites. I think the hyper sensitivity is what's going to fade away. Everybody has something to hide. And its being found out. It will cease to be a shock to anyone. Notice the hottest theme in podcasts and media is "True Crime". People are interested in wrong doing.

Remember in the 1980's, there was such an uproar over the evil "gangsta rap" ? Gov't wanted to put ratings on cd's and protest certain artists over certain lyrics and content ? Now, that same music is the prevailing genre. And many of those same artists are media moguls. The hardest part of prediction is to not be a prisoner of the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2019-05-02-at-6.27.10-am.jpe

Interesting posts. Has anyone seen the list of films that are already scheduled for next year? There are 78 of them so far. Sequels like GHOSTBUSTERS 3 and remakes like DUNE. Also movies inspired by classic televisions programs, such as FANTASY ISLAND. Plus we're getting the 25th James Bond film next April.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_film

So many 2's and 3's and reboots. And it seems to be the same 20 actors just rotated around from project to project.

• Like 1