Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Quantez (1957)

12 posts in this topic

decided to watch this one available free on demand last nite. a fred macmurray saturday matinee oater I had not seen before because I certainly woulda remembered a disappointing stinker like this. not really a stinker but might as well be. a psychological oater I doan need. well-acted but the story goes nowhere. the film opens with the high speed horse flight of a gang of robbers pursued by a posse.

here's the first thing I see I doan like. nice eastman color look but the title lettering they make black and it just doan look good against the color desert background. so they ride into a deserted desert town because their horses are stressed out and that's where the pointlessness begins. these people start psychoanalyzing each other to pass the time. head guy is Heller played by john larch, a cynical bully. fred macmurray is gentry the smart one who should be the leader. john gavin is an eastern greenhorn turned outlaw and along is the gorgeous dorothy malone as heller's wench and she is hot with shots of her bare shoulders. the psychoanalysis begins. macmurray and larch size up each other. then larch starts bullying gavin and macmurray starts trying to instill self-worth into malone. oh brother. we need this?

oh, there is also gato a white man who's loyalty lies with a nearby group of apaches led by victorio played by michael ansara. gato wants ansara and his apaches to hit his friends for no apparent reason than hate even though later on at the end he knows macmurray won't plug him for his mindless treachery being an honorable man so he runs into the desert once again seeking favor with victorio. unimpressed victorio has one of his men give gato an arrow. earlier some aged minstrel-prospector comes riding in welcomed by evil heller who will murder him for his horse. he sings the ballad of john coventry a famed desperado who he recognizes macmurray as being. by then the wench dorothy malone figures out she doan need a man despite participating in a holdup and fleeing into a hot inhospitable desert. john gavin the eastern greenhorn teach falls for the wench which ticks of heller but then later he has a change of heart and says sure take my wench leading up to a gunfight and then coventry takes out heller...

then victorio makes his move and that's when I had enough. turned it off and went to bed.

:D

Image result for quantez dorothy malone

• Like 1

You turned it off just when it was getting good! :) 

For someone who didn't enjoy it, you seemed to absorb many details and analyzed it quite intensely.

Then you went to all this trouble to create a thread for it, composed four paragraphs and included the movie poster.

WAIT!!!

48 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

...here's the first thing I see I doan like. nice eastman color look but the title lettering they make black and it just doan look good against the color desert background. so they ride into a deserted desert town because their horses are stressed out and that's where the pointlessness begins. these people start psychoanalyzing each other to pass the time. head guy is Heller played by john larch, a cynical bully. ....

A storyline that includes a "cynical bully"? AND, you DOAN, ahem, DON'T like it, you say Nip???

(...why, I'd have thought this would be RIGHT up your alley here, dude!!!) ;)

LOL

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

You turned it off just when it was getting good! :) 

For someone who didn't enjoy it, you seemed to absorb many details and analyzed it quite intensely.

Then you went to all this trouble to create a thread for it, compose four paragraphs and include the movie poster.

what happened?:)

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

They all make friends and go out to get ice cream and Dorothy Malone is turned into a fifty foot "babe." 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Can't spoil it for you. Because you must finish watching it yourself. 

I think you actually liked this film. But you liked complaining about it too. :) 

This film is currently on Starz streaming.

screen-shot-2019-05-05-at-9.37.42-pm.png

Here's the trailer:

46 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Who doesn't love Dorothy Malone:

I loved her in Warlock. Anthony Quinn, who has an infirmity, grins at her and says, "Well, you did love me once." She gives him an acid look and says, "How could ah ... evah !!!" turns and walks away. And then calls him a "Cripple!!" Yep, Dodo could be mean now and then. And yep, Ah still love her.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laffite said:

I loved her in Warlock. Anthony Quinn, who has an infirmity, grins at her and says, "Well, you did love me once." She gives him an acid look and says, "How could ah ... evah !!!" turns and walks away. And then calls him a "Cripple!!" Yep, Dodo could be mean now and then. And yep, Ah still love her.

Yes she's great in that film.

In an interview she said she enjoyed making westerns. Though she is remembered more for her work in soap operas, she appeared most often in westerns. 

Previously she costarred as Fred MacMurray's submissive obedient wife in AT GUNPOINT (1955). But then she had earned an Oscar playing a sex-crazed vixen in WRITTEN ON THE WIND (1956). So when she made QUANTEZ, her whole movie persona had changed and now she was cast as a sultry woman who drives MacMurray and the other men to distraction.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

They all make friends and go out to get ice cream and Dorothy Malone is turned into a fifty foot "babe." 

I'll buy that.

:D