Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

"Suspiria" (2018)

8 posts in this topic

"Suspiria" (2018) is what happens when a talented director who has no idea how to make a horror movie tries to remake a classic. Luca Guadagnino has just made the acclaimed adaptation of "Call Me By Your Name" when he decided to try to redo Dario Argento's masterpiece. The film borrows the main story an  American (Dakota Johson) attends a prestigious German dance academy were supernatural forces are at work.  The new script adds some pointless subplots about German terrorist which go nowhere .  Tilda Swinton plays the obviously creepy dance master. The movie is about a half an hour two long. Guadagnino lacks Argento's talent for creating terror and suspense. The preposterous climax seems to take place a disco in hell but a lot of pointless gore and gallons of blood a good horror film does not make.

• Thanks 2

I thought it was pretentious garbage. One of the worst major films of last year. 

Of course, I'm saying this as a fan of the original, but I wasn't knee-jerk against a remake sight unseen. I went in hoping for the best. I just thought the whole thing was an ill-conceived, poorly-executed misfire. And having Swinton in multiple roles was just dumb, and served no purpose beyond being a gimmicky stunt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought it was pretentious garbage. One of the worst major films of last year. 

Of course, I'm saying this as a fan of the original, but I wasn't knee-jerk against a remake sight unseen. I went in hoping for the best. I just thought the whole thing was an ill-conceived, poorly-executed misfire. And having Swinton in multiple roles was just dumb, and served no purpose beyond being a gimmicky stunt.

It's boring- what do all the scenes with the terrorist have to do with anything? Tilda Swinton playing two roles had no payoff- the doctor should have been played by a younger man.  Guadagnino said he loved the original but why remake it - he has not idea on how to created either terror or suspense- you could easily cut half hour out this thing and have a better movie and that preposterous disco in hell climax- I mean seriously?! 👻

Hopefully the original will air on TCM when Joan Bennett finally becomes Star of the Month. :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayban said:

Some films should not be re-made.

Yes such is the case with "Suspiria" visually is such a unique movie that they don't even try to match it on that level

2 hours ago, MixMkv said:

i have to say i whatched this movie today and it was ****

Did you mean to say "crap"

• Haha 1