Sign in to follow this  
Defenestrator

R.I.P. Kip Niven

1 post in this topic

Sorry to learn that a familiar face from some big movies in the seventies, Kip Niven, has reportedly passed away at age 73. I recall reading an interview with him about 20 years ago in which he mentioned two misconceptions people had of him. One was that he was the son of David Niven, which was untrue but he didn't go out of his way to dispute when those big movies were being cast. Another assumption was that he was part of some repertory company to appear in Charlton Heston movies. It turns out that although he was in "Airport 1975," "Earthquake" (as the guy whose seismic calculations turn out to be true) and "Midway," he said in the interview that (at that time anyway) he had never met Heston, as he didn't have any scenes with him in any of those movies. Heston of course had previously worked with David Niven in "55 Days in Peking" which may have exacerbated the two assumptions. Some of his other big seventies movies were "Magnum Force," "The Hindenburg" and "Swashbuckler," basically demonstrating that a Kip Niven movie was likely to have one of the most fondly remembered posters of its era. He also did a host of popular prime-time shows like "CHiPs," "T.J. Hooker," "Hart to Hart," and "S.W.A.T." and so much more. I see from the obit that he really had a great run on the stage too.

https://www.kcur.org/post/longtime-kansas-city-and-1970s-hollywood-actor-kip-niven-dies#stream/0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4