Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1953

4 posts in this topic

A year of change at Fox began with Mitzi Gaynor in the musical bio Ther I Don't Care Girl, in which she gave a pert and lively performance

MV5BMWUwNzA1YWEtYjYzOC00MGNmLWJkMWUtZjU2

One of Marilyn Monroe's best films was Niagara, a sensational noir.

Niagara_poster.jpg

Dan Dailey was a cab driver in Taxi, trying to help an immigrant find her husband in the big city.

Taxi_(1953_film).jpg

Tonight We Sing was another musical biopic, including opera this time around.

MV5BYzU4NGM3ZGQtZThlMS00YmRjLWFjNzMtNThk

Dale Robertson was back in his usual panorama, the West, in the Silver Whip

800px-SilverWhipPoster.jpg

Cornel Wilde then went on a treasure hunt....

Treasure_of_the_Golden_Condor_FilmPoster

Mitzi was back for more music in Down Among the Sheltering Palms.

MV5BYzgyOTBjODUtYzhlNy00ODQzLTg2N2EtYzc0

And Richard Widmark was game for adventure in the desert.....

Destination_gobi_poster.JPG

Ethel Merman returned to Fox after an almost 15 year absence headlining Call Me Madam, just like she did on Broadway.

CallMeMadam2.JPG

Elia Kazan directed Man on a Tightrope, a movie with a circus family trying to defect and cross the Iron Curtain.

MV5BMzA0ODkzZWQtOTQzNy00YmI4LWEyYmEtMmMy

It was a waterlogged night when Titanic sank anew. This time Barbara Stanwyck proved to be unsinkable....

Titanic_1953_film.jpg

Invaders of Mars came by to add a kick of sci-fi....

Film1953-InvadersFromMars-OriginalPoster

WWII resurfaced in the much liked The Desert Rats.

The_Desert_Rats_poster.jpg

June Haver left the film world behind after finishing the musical The Girl Next Door

MV5BODc2MjQ3MTIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTYw

The Glory Brigade focused on the then-current Korean War.

Glbdepos.jpg

Charlton Heston was Andrew Jackson, and Susan Hayward was his wife, The President's Lady

MV5BZmM2NWU4YjItN2Q3OC00OWQyLWEzNGQtZmFi

Rory Calhoun made the way west in Powder River.

MV5BMGZmOTljYTctMzE2ZS00ZmY0LWIyZTktNGQ3

Hi-ho- the-dairy-O, Betty Grable and Dale Robertson were a match in The Farmer Takes a Wife.

MV5BMmQ1MGE1YmYtZDA0Yi00Mjg4LWI5NjMtZGFl

Thelma Ritter delivered one of the greatest performances put to film in Pickup on South Street.

Pickuponsouthstreet.jpg

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was a rollicking good time and provided both female leads with some of their best work.

MV5BM2VkYjU5ZjQtZjBiZC00MzY1LWIxY2UtNGMz

Dan Dailey went back again to baseball in The Kid from Left Field

MV5BMTY1MzYxMDk5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk1

And Robert Mitchum and Susan Hayward headed to Africa in White Witch Doctor.

WhitewitchdrDMlc6.jpeg

A dip into noir was next in store for Joseph Cotten and Jean Peters.

A_blueprint_for_murder.jpg

War hit the Pacific in Sailor of the King

Sailor_of_the_king.jpg

Dangerous Crossing was Gaslight on a boat.

220px-Dangerous_Crossing_poster.jpg

Noir went 3D in Inferno.

MV5BMzQ1ODRiZTMtMGFiZi00ZjlkLTk2NmQtMzNl

And Clifton Webb commandeered the Boy Scouts

Mr_Scoutmaster_poster.jpg

Vicki was I Wake Up Screaming revisited. The killer's identity in this one is very surprising from today's vantage point.

220px-Vicki_1953_movie_poster.jpg

Jeannie Crain was in trouble when she was in the City of Bad Men.

MV5BYWE0YWI5ZjktNmFjMS00MGExLThjZjQtYjcz

And then the change. CinemaScope arrived and Fox led the widescreen charge in getting audiences away from their TVs. The first one was The Robe, the biggest hit of the year.

The_Robe_(1953_movie_poster).jpg

Thy Neighbor's Wife was the latest Hugo Haas quickie.

Thy_Neighbor's_Wife_poster.jpg

How to Marry a Millionaire was a good chic comedy remake with a sterling cast, although the best parts were the Bacall/William Powell scenes and the airplane scene with Marilyn and David Wayne.

How_to_Marry_a_Millionaire.png

Amanda "Miss Kitty" Blake was the shipwrecked one in Miss Robin Crusoe, a gender swap on Dafoe's classic.

MV5BYTkyMDg1OTctNTRhOS00ZGFmLWIyMWMtYjNh

Man Crazy was a B with women with Hollywood on their minds

MV5BYTAzYzIyZjctM2EyOC00MTA3LTliYTYtOGU0

Robert Wagner and Terry Moore went Beneath the 12-Mile Reef

MV5BZmY0MmI1YjMtOWNlMi00ZjNiLWJlMTItOWI1

Tyrone Power left Fox at this point after King of the Khyber Rifles. He would return once before his untimely death.

King_of_the_Khyber_Rifles.jpg

Was Jack Palance playing Jack the Ripper in Man in the attic?

Man_in_the_attic.jpg

• Like 1

The Grable-Robertson musical is pretty bad. Several other films in this group are just as lifeless.

But the good ones are very good.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 5.41.11 PM.jpeg

1. MAN ON A TIGHTROPE. Unusual cast delivers in spades. Also not the kind of subject matter one would expect with Kazan. But the whole thing works. Quirky with intriguing characterizations, yet a plot that's easy to follow.

2. PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET. Perhaps Fuller's best film. Widmark, Kiley and Peters are all excellent. But Thelma Ritter steals it. She should have had the Oscar for it.

3. CALL ME MADAM. Schmaltzy but enjoyable. Tremendous cast. George Sanders didn't make many musicals. But he's right at home in this one. So is everyone else.

4. GENTLEMAN PREFER BLONDES. Good though a bit overrated. Coburn nearly eclipses the leads.

5. INFERNO. Suspenseful. One of Robert Ryan's better performances.

6. BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF. It's a bit cheesy in spots, but it's entertaining. I like the dynamic between Robert Wagner and Gilbert Roland in this film. The underwater scenes are nicely photographed.

7. NIAGARA. A decent color noir. I found Peters' character more interesting than Monroe's. I love the final sequence, maybe because it doesn't have Monroe in it.

8. MAN IN THE ATTIC. A "B" remake of THE LODGER. Palance is extraordinarily good. The supporting cast is outstanding too. Very atmospheric and frightening at times. Such a well made B-film that it's more of a B+ or A-.

9. A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER. Another quality "B" crime film. Expertly played and photographed.

10. TITANIC. Not as good as the 1958 version with Kenneth More. But still engaging, highly watchable.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:42 PM, TopBilled said:

The Grable-Robertson musical is pretty bad. Several other films in this group are just as lifeless.

But the good ones are very good.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 5.41.11 PM.jpeg

1. MAN ON A TIGHTROPE. Unusual cast delivers in spades. Also not the kind of subject matter one would expect with Kazan. But the whole thing works. Quirky with intriguing characterizations, yet a plot that's easy to follow.

2. PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET. Perhaps Fuller's best film. Widmark, Kiley and Peters are all excellent. But Thelma Ritter steals it. She should have had the Oscar for it.

3. CALL ME MADAM. Schmaltzy but enjoyable. Tremendous cast. George Sanders didn't make many musicals. But he's right at home in this one. So is everyone else.

4. GENTLEMAN PREFER BLONDES. Good though a bit overrated. Coburn nearly eclipses the leads.

5. INFERNO. Suspenseful. One of Robert Ryan's better performances.

6. BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF. It's a bit cheesy in spots, but it's entertaining. I like the dynamic between Robert Wagner and Gilbert Roland in this film. The underwater scenes are nicely photographed.

7. NIAGARA. A decent color noir. I found Peters' character more interesting than Monroe's. I love the final sequence, maybe because it doesn't have Monroe in it.

8. MAN IN THE ATTIC. A "B" remake of THE LODGER. Palance is extraordinarily good. The supporting cast is outstanding too. Very atmospheric and frightening at times. Such a well made B-film that it's more of a B+ or A-.

9. A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER. Another quality "B" crime film. Expertly played and photographed.

10. TITANIC. Not as good as the 1958 version with Kenneth More. But still engaging, highly watchable.

I would add How to Marry a Millionaire to this list.  Grable, Bacall, Monroe were a lot of fun.  I'll be catching A Blueprint for Murder tonight on TCM.

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

I would add How to Marry a Millionaire to this list.  Grable, Bacall, Monroe were a lot of fun.  I'll be catching A Blueprint for Murder tonight on TCM.

I deliberately kept HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE off my list. I didn't want to draw negative attention to it, or go over why I don't really enjoy it...because I know it has a lot of fans. 

My main problem is that the story had been done so many times that it doesn't excite me the way something like MOON OVER MIAMI does, where Gable was younger and it all seemed fresh. I'm not a Monroe fan, so that contributes to its lower rating for me. I do like Powell's performance very much. He's really the only reason I would re-watch it.