Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

Hedy Lamarr

44 posts in this topic

SUNDAY 5/12 PBS episode of American Masters (2018) - HEDY LAMARR's pioneering work as an inventor becomes the basis for secure Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth.

Check you local airing time, set recorder.

Highly recommended viewing…

You're welcome. ūüíč

• Thanks 1

And now in an ironic twist of history, it's just been discovered that Harvey Korman (pictured above) worked with Al Gore to invent the internet!

(...it had been previously thought that Mr. Gore had worked alone in this regard, but during a recent drunken binge, Gore reportedly confessed to a reporter covering an environmental seminar, that it was Hedley, ahem, I mean HARVEY, who was really the one who made the necessary breakthroughs)

Invention of Spread Spectrum Technology

Lamarr learned that radio-controlled torpedoes, an emerging technology in naval war, could easily be jammed and set off course. She thought of creating a frequency-hopping signal that could not be tracked or jammed. She contacted her friend, composer and pianist George Antheil, to help her develop a device for doing that, and he succeeded by synchronizing a miniaturized player-pianomechanism with radio signalsThey drafted designs for the frequency-hopping system, which they patented

DG81TkbUwAA4RGJ.jpg

hedy-lamarr-1914-2000-austrian-american-

markVIII-5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Like GEORGE CARLIN said of the movies using the train going into a tunnel as representation of something else, you could say the same for that PT boat photo above...

"You don't have to be FELLINI to figure THAT one out!"  :D

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

Beautiful & Smart

I say Hedy is the most beautiful screen actress in history rivaled only by Gene Tierney.

Image result for hedy lamarr delilah

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, LawrenceA said:

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Every time I see Hed Lamarr or watch her, I cannot help but to think of this scene.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, NipkowDisc said:

Beautiful & Smart

I say Hedy is the most beautiful screen actress in history rivaled only by Gene Tierney.

I would add Maureen O'Hara to that list.

Her appearance as a sensual, beautiful and intoxicating Esmeralda opposite Charles Laughton (in the main role) has got to be the apex of Hollywood's glamour. Especially, the scene in the tower after Quasimodo has rescued her, she realizes the 'monster' is actually a human being.

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

of course! the beautiful Maureen O'Hara. in the sam peckinpah western the deadly companions she and brian keith are camping out and the camera gives us a fantastic shot of Maureen's luscious legs.

:)

Image result for maureen o'hara

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Those aren't her legs.

who's then?

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

who's then?

I was referring to the picture you posted.

yeah screencaps of that shot of Maureen's legs are just everywhere.

:D

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah screencaps of that shot of Maureen's legs are just everywhere.

I was making a joke. I guess I need to leave emojis for that to come across. Or just not comment. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• Like 1

Image result for ava gardnerAva was no slouch in the looks department.

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I was making a joke. I guess I need to leave emojis for that to come across.

I got the joke.

9 hours ago, Arteesto said:

Image result for ava gardnerAva was no slouch in the looks department.

I doan like her chin dent.

14 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan like her chin dent.

And I do..

the cleft is part of the appeal

Preference...

This is the reason there is a variety of coffee-mate flavors.

Beautiful & Smart

Image result for hedy lamarr delilah

I think Marilyn and Vivian Leigh were both more beautiful.  However, I do think Hedy is more beautiful than Elizabeth Taylor.  

1 hour ago, MontyCliftLover said:

I think Marilyn and Vivian Leigh were both more beautiful.  However, I do think Hedy is more beautiful than Elizabeth Taylor.  

It's all a matter or taste or opinion.  Personally I never thought Marilyn or Vivian looked that good.  Same with Liz Taylor.

It is also very much a question of lighting, make-up and the photographer's skill.  Not to mention clothing and hair styles of different periods.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

Another classic beauty:

1939633542_download(4).jpg.09120d2b78cc5981d7dfc1641cf430c7.jpg Your mileage may vary...

Oh,  it got cold all of a sudden.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh,  it got cold all of a sudden.   

LOL

Look folks. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of absolutely knockout beautiful actresses during the studio era, and with most of them never breaking into the A-List category and thus with these beauties seldom being mentioned whenever a conversation turns into something along the lines of "Who was the most beautiful actress back in the day" kind of thing.

You see, I was prompted to state the above after reading and laughing at James' clever comment about the beautiful "Ice Princess" Grace Kelly here, as I would guess James' preference between this A-Lister and another beautiful actress who would never quite achieve the same status, Martha Vickers, would be for the latter.

Am I right, James?;)

(...btw, "chin dent" or not, AVA was THE "sultriest" of 'em ALL...OOOOOH, yeah!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Look folks. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of absolutely knockout beautiful actresses during the studio era, and with most of them never breaking it into the A-List category and thus with these beauties seldom being mentioned whenever a conversation turns into something along the lines of "Who was the most beautiful actress back in the day" kind of thing.

You see, I was prompted to state the above after reading and laughing at James' clever comment about the beautiful "Ice Princess" Grace Kelly here, as I would guess James' preference between this A-Lister and another beautiful actress who would never quite achieve the same status, Martha Vickers, would be for the latter.

Am I right, James?;)

(...btw, "chin dent" or not, AVA was THE "sultriest" of 'em ALL...OOOOOH, yeah!)

You got that right!

Image result for martha vickers

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Look folks. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of absolutely knockout beautiful actresses during the studio era, and with most of them never breaking into the A-List category and thus with these beauties seldom being mentioned whenever a conversation turns into something along the lines of "Who was the most beautiful actress back in the day" kind of thing.

Am I right, James?;)

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You got that right!

Image result for martha vickers

You are both correct about Martha Vickers, AKA MacVicar in some movies.  While she was good in The Big Sleep, I particularly enjoyed her in The Falcon movies she was in.  She could "sit in my lap" anytime, even if I am standing up.

• Haha 3