Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

"Judy" trailer

29 posts in this topic

It sounds like she missed more notes in this trailer than Judy did in her entire career.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

It sounds like she missed more notes in this trailer than Judy did in her entire career.

I had no idea this was being made, it makes me want to see it, though I will keep my expectations low.

Do we really need another Judy movie? Guess we'll find out.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Do we really need another Judy movie? 

No. I could do with never seeing anything else about Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, or James Dean again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Michael  Gambon is playing Bernard Delfont, who was portrayed so hilariously in STAN & OLLIE by Rufus Jones. Two films about American entertainers (Stan's UK heritage notwithstanding) making late-career UK appearances.

I'll go see it.

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

No. I could do with never seeing anything else about Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, or James Dean again.

What bio pic would you like to see made ?

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Well, I dunno about Lawrence here Gerald, but for a long long time now I've been thinking the American public would welcome a biopic of Sonny Tufts into their hearts.

(...but only if it were done well, of course)

• Haha 1

I'll go see it.

I'll probably end up seeing it eventually, as well. I don't have anything against the three performers that I named, it's just that there have been multiple biopics, both theatrical and TV, as well as documentaries and dozens of books written about them, enough to last a lifetime. But that just shows that there's a market for said products. 

As for what I'd like to see, I'd like a Peter Lorre movie, or a Dennis Hopper movie. Or how about a Eugene Pallette movie, where he begins as a svelte romantic in DW Griffith silents, slowly balloons into a busy character actor in the sound era, before eventually going batty trying to build a survivalist compound in Oregon? Cast Christian Bale so he can do another shocking weight gain, and he can use his Batman voice, too!

Actually, I agree that there are other interesting performers who would make a good bio pic. This is why I support efforts like that Bette and Joan Feud series. I'm for anything that trends in that direction. Because hopefully they will start profiling other stars than the usual ones.

• Thanks 1

Actually, I agree that there are other interesting performers who would make a good bio pic. This is why I support efforts like that Bette and Joan Feud series. I'm for anything that trends in that direction. Because hopefully they will start profiling other stars than the usual ones.

See, Gerald?! Told ya a Sonny Tufts biopic would be greeted warmly by people, now didn't I?!

(...but once again, only if it were done well)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

but for a long long time now I've been thinking the American public would welcome a biopic of Sonny Tufts into their hearts.

I thought we were talking about actors' bios ...

Of course, you can probably guess whose bio I'd like to see ...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Sorry, Rich, there's no one that big to play him.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Yes, yes, Rich. I can guess which "actor" you'd like to see a biopic made of. BUT, were you implying here that SONNY TUFTS was NOT "an actor"?

(...or as Ben Mankiewicz would say, "an AAKtor"?)

Well, IF you ARE, then allow me to REMIND you here that NO LESS an authority on the career of Sonny Tufts', namely one Mr. Bullwinkle J. Moose of Frostbite Falls, MN, would beg to differ with you!

Because as you may recall, not ONLY has said Mr. Moose seen EVERY movie Sonny Tufts was ever in, but he ALSO is the proud owner of a framed and autographed 8X10 glossy of this great thespian TOO!!!

(...so there)

8 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Really, it started with a reveal of a JUDY GARLAND biopic, and she wasn't only an actor, but a tremendous singer as well.  And I would welcome a "bare bones" bio of her, without the sensationalism seen in others.  

And personally, I'd like to see bios of those actors or actresses( as most biopics do) whose careers and lives were rife with tragedy, personal setbacks and ended much earlier than they should have.  

NICK ADAMS and MONTGOMERY CLIFT come to mind...  ;)

And music legends who didn't necessarily die young(or too still living) would be fine too.  Like, there was a "made for TV" bio of JIMI HENDRIX that was just "God-awful".  So, a "do over" of his would be welcome. 

CHUCK BERRY and BOB DYLAN would be good too.  along with B.B. KING.  ;)

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

The only Judy biopic I've ever seen was the Canadian ME & MY SHADOWS based on Lorna Luft's book, which I just found in a used bookstore-next in my reading queue. I assume you can't get any closer than impressions of someone who was "there", even if biased from a child's eyes.

I'm glad there is enough interest in Judy for this to be made-with a big budget and talented professional like Rene Zellweger. Zellweger possesses the same "elfin" appearance Judy had, but definitely should not have attempted singing for the role. Oy! 

While I'd really hate a biopic on Marilyn or Dean too, Judy's not quite as "iconic" figure (outside of the Oz movie) but led a truly multifaceted life that may be a surprise to modern audiences. Any focus to classic film stars that brings interest to actually seeing the movies they made seems like a great way to get the uninitiated interested in exploration of those "old black & white movies". And as we know, many led fascinating lives.

I was amazed at a party I held many years ago, walking into the room with the TV on an old MGM or RKO b&w musical. There was a group of Gen X guys huddled around the TV-all hard core punks with tattoos & piercings wearing black, laughing up a storm! Goes to show how timeless the art form.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, MovieMadness said:

I would have to give this movie credit for taking the stupid Crown from Kevin Spacey's " Beyond the Sea ". That was another film about a great singer who's music was destroyed by an actor pretending to be a great singer.

Jack Warner once convinced Bette Davis that she could play an extremely beautiful woman in a movie because she was a great actress.

That concept  just doesn't work with singing.

And when it comes to Judy Garland, not even the legendary Marni Nixon could have pulled that one off.

Y'know, speaking of "dubbing", ...

With today's advanced digital restructuring capabilities, I don't see why many of Judy's original recordings( from both platter releases and film soundtracks) couldn't be digitally "cleaned up" and enhanced to sound practically new.   I do have a CD re-issue of "Jazz At Massey Hall" that was originally recorded on an early '50's version of a magnetic tape recorder( Charlie Mingus taped it) and the original vinyl LP was pressed from IT.  And the CD re-issue, remixed digitally, sounds as if the concert was recorded within the last year or so on modern recording equipment.  Then Renee would just need to convincingly lip-sync the songs.  Which I do think she's more than able to.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Renee would just need to convincingly lip-sync the songs.  Which I do think she's more than able to.  ;)

Sepiatone

Zellweger obviously had to lip-sync her own voice. That's how they do it in the movies after all. A little thing called playback. So if it's her or Garland, why not choose Garland? Although some actors don't like to do that. Draws too much of a comparison on possible limitations.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

With today's advanced digital restructuring capabilities, I don't see why many of Judy's original recordings( from both platter releases and film soundtracks) couldn't be digitally "cleaned up" and enhanced to sound practically new.   I do have a CD re-issue of "Jazz At Massey Hall" that was originally recorded on an early '50's version of a magnetic tape recorder( Charlie Mingus taped it) and the original vinyl LP was pressed from IT.  And the CD re-issue, remixed digitally, sounds as if the concert was recorded within the last year or so on modern recording equipment.  Then Renee would just need to convincingly lip-sync the songs.  Which I do think she's more than able to.  ;)

Sepiatone

The beautiful thing about Al Jolson's biopics was that he agreed to the projects and he was still very much alive and singing extremely well-- so that he was able to make updated exciting recordings for Larry Parks to lip-sync to.

Columbia Pictures found a lady in Southern California who had all of his old records. That's how they got his repertoire together so that he could rehearse it and Morris  Stoloff could rearrange and conduct more modern arrangements. Harry Cohen only agreed to do the thing if Al Jolson could still sing those songs up speed.

As far as Judy Garland goes, I don't know if they had the rights to use her voice or if they even wanted to?

Undoubtably Liza Minnelli and/or Lorna Luft could have done this if they wanted to.

It would be interesting to know what Judy's two daughters think about this whole thing.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, scsu1975 said:

I thought we were talking about actors' bios ...*

*Judy was nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar for her role in "Judgment at Nuremberg".

Also she was nominated for best actress for her role in  "A Star is Born" , which can be called a dramatic musical.

But all truly great singers are also great actors and actresses.

Besides Judy, my other two favorite singers are Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand. Two undoubtably great singers who also have won the Oscar for their acting abilities.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I would have to give this movie credit for taking the stupid Crown from Kevin Spacey's " Beyond the Sea ". That was another film about a great singer who's music was destroyed by an actor pretending to be a great singer.

Unlike Spacey's Bobby Darin, however, I doubt Zelwegger is about to go on a one-woman live Judy stage tour, so that's still in favor of Spacey keeping the crown.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

???

Haven't you paid ANY attention to what's been posted about ELVIS PRESLEY movies elsewhere in these forums?  :wacko:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Agreed. We've discussed the correlation on this board before: great singers "sell" a song by acting. Granted, it's a different kind of acting, but a good base to possess if making the transition from singer to film.

I think Elvis was just fine as an actor, very evident watching his stage performances. I think with better material, he would have excelled in movies. They did provide him with good supporting talent, good production values, just maudlin stories & dialogue for most of his movies. 

• Like 2

Although I generally agree with that, it is after all, only TWO opinions of Presley's acting ability.  You might notice too, that a LOT of folks think Elvis had NO acting "talent" at ALL!

Sepiatone