LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

45 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

Looks like August 2nd must be a Backlot pick yet to be made....

The 2nd and the 21st will be when the Backlot selections are featured.

• Like 1

I noticed one Rod Steiger movie that I haven't seen, The Sergeant (1968), and maybe a couple of the Liv Ullmann movies, but that's about it for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I noticed one Rod Steiger movie that I haven't seen, The Sergeant (1968), and maybe a couple of the Liv Ullmann movies, but that's about it for me.

The first two weeks looked fairly standard (by that I mean the usual stars TCM likes to feature over and over).

But when I got to Ann Sothern then Brian Donlevy, I perked up. I was glad to see Steiger included. Happy about Irene Dunne making the cut. Even more delighted that Dorothy McGuire is being honored. Leila Hyams is also a good choice. I liked seeing Dustin Hoffman there to represent the post-code era.  Walter Brennan representing the character actors. Then Paul Lukas gets a day too.

For the most part I think this is an excellent group of people. A lot of truly classic films will be airing in August.

• Like 4

Just now, TopBilled said:

For the most part I think this is an excellent group of people. A lot of truly classic films will be airing in August.

Yeah, they did pick some less-featured people, so that's a plus for those who haven't seen those films, or want to revisit some. I was also impressed by the Leila Hyams spotlight. She doesn't get mentioned a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Premieres that I can see (all on Eastern Time and listed by star of day they appear)

Susannah of the Mounties (1939/Shirley Temple/August 4/ 11:30 PM)

There's That Woman Again (1938/Melvyn Douglas/August 5/12 PM)

Mary Burns, Fugitive (1935/Melvyn Douglas/August 5/1:30 PM)

I Met Him in Paris (1938/Melvyn Douglas/August 5/10 PM)

Two Yanks in Trinidad (1942/Brian Donlevy/August 13/9 AM)

When Tomorrow Comes (1939/Irene Dunne/August 17 (16th for all other time zones)/12:15 AM)

High Wide and Handsome (1937/Irene Dunne/August 17 (16th for Pacific)/2 AM)

Mother Didn't Tell Me (1950/Dorothy McGuire/August 20/4 PM)

Woman Times Seven (1967/Shirley MacLaine/August 24/9:30 AM) {No springing for Madame Sousatzka or Postcards from the Edge?}

Hero (1992/Dustin Hoffman/August 25/7:45 AM)

Return to Peyton Place (1961/Mary Astor/August 27 (26th for Pacific)/2 AM)

House of Strangers (1949/Susan Hayward/August 30/10:15 PM)

And new docs on Ava Gardner (August 8), Liv Ullmann [with Ingmar Bergman] (August 14) and Buster Keaton (August 19)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yay!  Liv UIlmann gets a day!  They choose Lost Horizon over Shame, Cries and Whispers and Face to Face.  What?

I mean I know getting movies are expensive, and the seventies Lost Horizon is the kind of movie they must pay TCM to show, but still...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Incidentally, there have been blank spaces in the previous three months or so.  Could someone remind me if they've been filled or not?

4 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Incidentally, there have been blank spaces in the previous three months or so.  Could someone remind me if they've been filled or not?

I believe those were the new Essentials with Ben Mankiewicz and Ava DuVernay.

Just now, skimpole said:

Yay!  Liv UIlmann gets a day!  They choose Lost Horizon over Shame, Cries and Whispers and Face to Face.  What?

I mean I know getting movies are expensive, and the seventies Lost Horizon is the kind of movie they must pay TCM to show, but still...

Lost Horizon was a Columbia title, which probably made it easier to show.....

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I believe those were the new Essentials with Ben Mankiewicz and Ava DuVernay.

Oh, Pather Panchali later in may.  That's a good choice.  Also Daughters of the Dust in June. 

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I was glad to see Steiger included.

I wish they had scheduled Waterloo. That is my favorite film of his. 

MV5BNGQxYzM1ZWUtYjdlMS00M2EyLTg1MmUtNTFm

• Like 1

The backlot choices this year:

Joel McCrea or Robert Ryan

Ruth Roman or Ruth Hussey

Not sure which day will feature the male selection and which day will feature the female selection.

Maybe next year they can have backlot members decide a male star versus a female star. Like Joanne Woodward or Paul Newman, so that regardless of which one gets chosen, some of the same films can still air featuring both of them. Just a thought!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I wish they had scheduled Waterloo. That is my favorite film of his. 

I haven't seen it, but I have it saved to watch when I get to that year. I've only seen 43 of Steiger's 110 movies, so there are still a lot for me to see.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I haven't seen it, but I have it saved to watch when I get to that year. I've only seen 43 of Steiger's 110 movies, so there are still a lot for me to see.

Do you watch films year by year ? Do you follow some schedule ?

8/1 Henry Fonda

I've seen most of these movies, but I'm interested in Let Us Live, and The Long Night

8/3 Marlon Brando

Not a favorite of mine, but I'd like to see The Wild One. 

8/4 Shirley Temple

I feel like TCM just played this whole schedule on Shirley's birthday.  I recorded most of these.  I'm interested in Almost a Bride

Susannah of the Mounties looks like it might be a premiere. 

8/5 Melvyn Douglas

This looks like an interesting day.  A lot of premieres. I'm interested in There's Always a Woman and I Met Him in Paris

8/6 Lena Horne

A lot of musicals on this day that I haven't heard of.

8/12 Ann Sothern

I may check out the Maisie series which I haven't seen

8/16 Irene Dunne

When Tomorrow Comes with Dunne and Charles Boyer looks interesting

8/17 Errol Flynn

I own every single film scheduled.  But the TCM programmers were wise to schedule Errol's day on a weekend! Thank you TCM!!

8/19 Buster Keaton

I'm excited about this day.  I've wanted to see more Buster Keaton films!

8/20 Dorothy McGuire

I'm glad TCM listened to me (lol) and are featuring McGuire! I'm interested in Till the End of TimeMother Didn't Tell Me also looks interesting.

8/22 Leila Hyams

I have no idea who this is. Almost all pre-codes though, so that could be interesting.

8/26 Mary Astor

This looks like an interesting day. A lot of films I haven't heard of.

8/30 Susan Hayward

A lot of interesting films in this schedule as well.  I've only seen a handful of Hayward's films.

I'm sure I'll find more things to watch on the other days as well.  It'll be interesting to see who is scheduled on the two empty days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Do you watch films year by year ? Do you follow some schedule ?

I roughly try to watch stuff that I've compiled in year order. It helps me to appreciate how films may have been perceived when they were released when you watch a bunch from the same year together. Right now I'm on 1962. However, I will occasionally watch newer things that I'm very interested in when they become available, and in the evenings, when I tend to spend more time in my living room rather than my viewing room (my pets like to hang out more in the living room), I will watch assorted stuff on YouTube (via my cable box) or other TV stuff that I have DVR'd.

I know it's weird, and I don't expect other people to follow my pattern or even get it, but it's my hobby, and that's how I generally manage it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We all have patterns. There are times when I am interested in a performer. I will watch their films in sequence, from earliest to latest. Or a director the same way.

On Dustin Hoffman day (August 25) it's a shame they couldn't get Lenny (1974) as it's been mentioned in the Fosse/Verdon TV series, and there would be renewed interest in it. I would have left off The Tiger Makes OutDeath of a SalesmanHeroAgatha, and certainly Hook. I would have preferred the aforementioned LennyAll the President's Men (which they have shown recently, so that could slide), Straw Dogs for late night, Kramer vs Kramer since he won the Oscar for it, and maybe some of his older, more obscure titles like 1969's John and Mary with Mia Farrow or Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971). And Little Big Man (1970) is one of my personal favorites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've only seen 43 of Steiger's 110 movies, so there are still a lot for me to see.

Better make it fast ... I hear he chewed up the scenery in most of them.

• Haha 1

I was very disappointed that Henry Fonda's day on 8/1 is full of repeats. This would have been a golden opportunity to showcase "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" or "The Moon's Our Home". I know they are both Paramount flicks but I would assume TCM could have gotten one or the other for at least one Henry Fonda TCM premiere. The former film was the first Paramount technicolor film and I do remember seeing it as a child on TV. The scenery was beautiful. The latter film would be a good chance to see him co-starring with his ex wife Margaret Sullavan. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I was very disappointed that Henry Fonda's day on 8/1 is full of repeats. This would have been a golden opportunity to showcase "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" or "The Moon's Our Home". I know they are both Paramount flicks but I would assume TCM could have gotten one or the other for at least one Henry Fonda TCM premiere. The former film was the first Paramount technicolor film and I do remember seeing it as a child on TV. The scenery was beautiful. The latter film would be a good chance to see him co-starring with his ex wife Margaret Sullavan. 

There are also films he made at Fox in the 40s that seldom/never get shown on TCM-- RINGS ON HER FINGERS, THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE, WILD GEESE CALLING and CHAD HANNA. Any one of these would have been nice to see.

Don't hold me to this, but I feel Henry Fonda-an actor I can always watch-seems to be a SUTS participant each year. Could it be that TCM still has a soft spot for Ted Turner's ex-father-in-law? As I said I like Fonda a lot, but c'mon.... that said, if they're gonna give H.Fonda a day on SUTS every year give us-the viewers-some new stuff to see. I'd be curious if anyone out there {is anyone out there?} has the stats on ol' Hank and his number of appearances as a SUTS player.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, speedracer5 said:

8/1 Henry Fonda

I've seen most of these movies, but I'm interested in Let Us Live, and The Long Night

8/16 Irene Dunne

When Tomorrow Comes with Dunne and Charles Boyer looks interesting

8/20 Dorothy McGuire

I'm glad TCM listened to me (lol) and are featuring McGuire! I'm interested in Till the End of TimeMother Didn't Tell Me also looks interesting.

Let Us Live is very well directed by John Brahm--looks like film noir even though some experts say noir didn't begin until 1940. Script not up to the direction, but Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Sullivan are in good form. The Long Night is an excellent remake of the French classic Le jour se leve, with true noir style and with outstanding performances by Henry Fonda, Barbara Bel Geddes, Vincent Price, Ann Dvorak, and Elisha Cook, Jr.

Till the End of Time is about a young man (the dreamy Guy Madison) returning from service after WWII who falls for a slightly older and slightly neurotic widow (Dorothy McGuire). Robert Mitchum has a great supporting role as his army pal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1