LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

124 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, midnight08 said:

I was very disappointed that Henry Fonda's day on 8/1 is full of repeats. This would have been a golden opportunity to showcase "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" or "The Moon's Our Home".

I agree. Actually, an evening of Trail of the Lonesome Pine adaptations -- there are at least four of them -- would be great. The song, also inspired by the novel (but not in the film), was Gertrude Stein's favorite song. A song from the 1936 film was nominated for Best Song: "A Melody from the Sky."

The 1936 film is a great film: the first full-length outdoor color film;  and features one of Beulah Bondi's finest performances, as Melissa. Here's her memorable monologue:

"Just thinking, Lina. Sakes and sassafras! Thinking boils the pot over. It boils over and over and over if you ain't thinking. Killing. All the time killing. They are planning it now. They done it yesterday, and the week before, and the year before that. Ever since I was a little child they done it. Kill a Falin. Kill a Falin. That's all they could say. Plowing, splitting reins. Filling the corn crib. Kill a Falin! And the echo comes back to us from over the hills. Kill a Tolliver. Kill. Kill. Why?"

8101482231_7a13fcb73a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lost a lot of films when I switched cable boxes. I'm eager to get a few of the Irene Dunne films back. I'm also looking forward to the Paul Lukas day.

• Thanks 1

Wow, Dustin Hoffman! After days, either SOTM or SUTS, recently, for the likes of Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Jane Fonda and Faye Dunaway, he's certainly a logical choice. Marathon Man is such an unusual airing for TCM that when you click on it, the link can't provide you any info about the picture other than the director and cast, something that happens almost always when an out of the box film appears on TCM. I had to go to imdb to learn what studio released it, since that information is beyond the capabilities of tcm.com, and it's a Paramount picture. A Paramount from the '70s airing on TCM in 2019 is such a gasp-worthy, extraordinary rarity, I'm very happy about it. Uncertain if it's a premiere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cinemanut said:

Don't hold me to this, but I feel Henry Fonda-an actor I can always watch-seems to be a SUTS participant each year. Could it be that TCM still has a soft spot for Ted Turner's ex-father-in-law? As I said I like Fonda a lot, but c'mon.... that said, if they're gonna give H.Fonda a day on SUTS every year give us-the viewers-some new stuff to see. I'd be curious if anyone out there {is anyone out there?} has the stats on ol' Hank and his number of appearances as a SUTS player.

Perception vs. reality is a funny thing sometimes. I think we're all just used to seeing a lot of Henry Fonda movies in general on the network. But I just did a quick scan, and I can only find Fonda featured in SUTS five times. And the last time was 2013.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Perception vs. reality is a funny thing sometimes. I think we're all just used to seeing a lot of Henry Fonda movies in general on the network. But I just did a quick scan, and I can only find Fonda featured in SUTS five times. And the last time was 2013.

Also someone recently said he was Star of the Month in July. No, Glenn Ford is SOTM in July.

So Fonda is not honored as often as some folks think.

• Thanks 2

On 5/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, Dustin Hoffman! After days, either SOTM or SUTS, recently, for the likes of Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Jane Fonda and Faye Dunaway, he's certainly a logical choice. Marathon Man is such an unusual airing for TCM that when you click on it, the link can't provide you any info about the picture other than the director and cast, something that happens almost always when an out of the box film appears on TCM. I had to go to imdb to learn what studio released it, since that information is beyond the capabilities of tcm.com, and it's a Paramount picture. A Paramount from the '70s airing on TCM in 2019 is such a gasp-worthy, extraordinary rarity, I'm very happy about it. Uncertain if it's a premiere.

It's not a premiere, but its rare. Its the first airing for it since 2008. It is true that 70s Paramount titles are pretty rare on TCM: Murder on the Orient Express aired last year, but most others aren't so lucky. Foul Play, a film I'm very fond of, used to be a semi-regular on TCM, but its only aired once since the end of 2010.

• Like 1

I would really like to watch Foul Play again, which was about the third or fourth PG movie I was ever allowed to see at the theater. Chevy Chase trying to do Cary Grant, I guess, although I didn't understand that at the time. All the scenes with Dudley Moore and Billy Barty made my fourth grade self laugh so hard, I was literally weeping.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, they did pick some less-featured people, so that's a plus for those who haven't seen those films, or want to revisit some. I was also impressed by the Leila Hyams spotlight. She doesn't get mentioned a lot.

****strars! to LawrenceA    Was it you or TopBilled that sent me tcm history of SUTS   Pretty positive top sent me-(or you) history f the GP's  which I log into my files of course, they always come first ever since I was a kid in 1980

Reckon' the way the station is going down, that closing weeks ago & as I always said with betting,etc go with you gut instinct the first one anyway  I was sooo depressed Jakeem when that occured & the WW2 classic & among Hollywoods ultuimate epitome of the war & the homefront Selznick's great 4 star & Oscar winner for the best ever Max steiner's score at least won SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

CAN YOU FIND THAT WHEN YOU CAN NOT SUTS for tcm-(have you saved all your yrs worth of NOP Guide's? I have not enough boxes)  VERY MUCH NEED THE LINK TO STARS OF THE MONTH BUDDY>  thanxU

Tio Jakee again, why I truly must see tcm's STARS OF THE MONTH is I need to see exactly how many times NATALIE WOOD was it, TRACY, SINATRA,etc CAGNEY, McQUEEN-(DO YOU AGREE, THEY ARE WAY OVERDUE IN HAVING THE LIKES OF  FORD, HAWKS, HITCH, CAPRA, WELLS, GRIIFITH & MANY MORE DESERVE THEIR TURN ON FRT & BEING STARS OF THE MONTH

Think Cary grant & B. Davis lead, let me also know if I;m correct please   Man I miss NP

Hope you can find them pal

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I would really like to watch Foul Play again, which was about the third or fourth PG movie I was ever allowed to see at the theater. Chevy Chase trying to do Cary Grant, I guess, although I didn't understand that at the time. All the scenes with Dudley Moore and Billy Barty made my fourth grade self laugh so hard, I was literally weeping.

A fun one (strong **1/2) & not to be chauvenistic but GOLDIE-(most don;t know she once took home an Academy award s. actress for the mediocre 1969 CACTUS FLOWER )((_SAs fr F it's song by Manilow snagged a nod for best o.song,. but lost)  IF YOU LIKE FP  CHECK OUT THE EVEN BETTER (l980) SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES (***_ * MSAN, MAN O MAN GOLDIE WAS SMOKING SPORTS FANS.I'F GO THIS FAR THE OW 84YR OLD MS. HAWN NEVER LOIOKED BETTER THEN INBOTH COMEDIES & IT WAS FAR MORE A THROWBACK TO SCREWBALL COMEDIES, BUT NOWHERE NEAR FOR SOME REASIN SOLD AS MANY TICKETS AS FOUL PLAY?_

On 5/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, TopBilled said:

The 2nd and the 21st will be when the Backlot selections are featured.

I was briefly a card-carrying member(even nailed that card to my WALLS-OF=FAME) T-short-*already own 2 others from TCM, but this one was cooler as you probably agree Yjru salso include in a really heat yet semi large TCM BACKLOT BOX & with a pin on it, also stating tcm backlot member * ;ike a dummy I somehow lost a lil catalog with lots of TCM dtuff inside, still have pt of it at east & most may finf this typical I called 7 asked it they could send the pampjley, they passed the buck

It's $75.00 per month No what I've been truly NAGGING this network about is 6 URSTD PT NRYYRT@ URSTD! yjsy o', vryysom s;; trsfimh yjod eo;; sy gitdy dsy VPP T HTRSY FIMSLLU & THEN WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG??? ridu;piscylys things tomdo, I say ridiculous because about 99$%og upi frboyrf YV< yjr mryeotol *og vitdr TOHJY JRTR  EXCUSE MISS SPELLINGS ON TOP ONLY ABIVE ME, KEY MAY BE MORE TRED THEN I AM

2st AN ONLINERS POLL OF THEIR ALL-TIME FAVORITE'S IN THE M.O.V.I.E.S.???  We are  now are the sold hold out in Onot having one, trust me I read everything film, HELL< even AMC even conducted it's own onliners & fans survey og their favs? As O just write about 98% of other famous, though nowhere near as famous as tis one, have long ago held fans favs in movie history  WHY ARE WE LEFT OUT IN THE COLD AGAIN? &I EVEN BESUDES CINTACTLY COMPLAINING ^ NAGGING ABOUT HAVE THIS, I SUGGESTED TCM GIFTS THEY COULD GIVE AWAY< ALS A))LIES TO SOMETHING ESE THEY HACJ THEIR BACK UP & REFSED TO DO ANNUAL PREDICT THE OSCARS CONTEST-(my dish)  SO LET US DRVE FIR A KINDA PETTUION DRIVE, ANYBIDY GONA' D( IT WUITH ME THIS TIME???

3rd ANOTHER UTTERLY SIMPILISTIC THING THEY OUGHTTA BE OFFERING WHEN THEY SHOW THE TCM GIFT SHOP, WHICH ARE EXPANDED INTO THE NOW PATHETIC TCM DVD CATALOG_(IN PLSACE FOR THE MARVELOUS & PERFECTO NOW PLAYING MONTHLY GUIDES & WHO LIKE  HAS SAVED PAST NP's? I HAVE BOXES & HEFTY BAGS FULL MYSELF

BACK TOTHE POINT> A TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES POSTER & IT COULD HSAVE IN IT'S BACJGROUND GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD STARS & MAZYBE SLIP IN MR.OSBORNE, BEN MANKIEWCZ & OTHERS. ANIOTHER EXAMPLE, ANYINE RECALL BEFIRE I THIK IT WAS EITHER 1990 turning in 2000 or I'm certain it was AMC-(AMERCAN MOVIE CLASICS) NOW IT HAS NO MEANING EXCOTJUS AMC>? NIY, AS OF 199) IT GIT THIS LOUSY OVEHAUL & BECAME JUST AMC< GOOD NEWS FOR ME FOR MY HUGE POSTER COLLECTION (about 15 td) I WON ANOTHER MOVIE CINTEST BACK WH G. CLOONEY'S pop NICK CLOONEY WAS AMONG THE HOSTS &ITWAS VERY GOOD , NOT GREAT A WESTERN POTER I WON & STILL HAVE IT SINCE '90 MPW T THEY COULD DO THIS, WHY NOT OURNETWORK???(

• Confused 2

On 5/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, skimpole said:

Yay!  Liv UIlmann gets a day!  They choose Lost Horizon over Shame, Cries and Whispers and Face to Face.  What?

I mean I know getting movies are expensive, and the seventies Lost Horizon is the kind of movie they must pay TCM to show, but still...

Yes! It's wonderful she was chosen, but diappointed that more of her Bergman films are not being shown. :( LOST HORIZON? Please.

• Like 1

SO happy they are showing When Tomorrow Comes with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer! FINALLY. Think Mary Burns, Fugitive (with Sylvia Sidney) is a premiere also. Noticed some films I missed on their last showing will be back. Hopefully I can record them this time around. Some interesting choices along with the usual suspects.  Am Hoping Ryan and Roman are the backlot choices!

On 5/17/2019 at 10:27 PM, Swithin said:

I agree. Actually, an evening of Trail of the Lonesome Pine adaptations -- there are at least four of them -- would be great. The song, also inspired by the novel (but not in the film), was Gertrude Stein's favorite song. A song from the 1936 film was nominated for Best Song: "A Melody from the Sky."

The 1936 film is a great film: the first full-length outdoor color film;  and features one of Beulah Bondi's finest performances, as Melissa. Here's her memorable monologue:

"Just thinking, Lina. Sakes and sassafras! Thinking boils the pot over. It boils over and over and over if you ain't thinking. Killing. All the time killing. They are planning it now. They done it yesterday, and the week before, and the year before that. Ever since I was a little child they done it. Kill a Falin. Kill a Falin. That's all they could say. Plowing, splitting reins. Filling the corn crib. Kill a Falin! And the echo comes back to us from over the hills. Kill a Tolliver. Kill. Kill. Why?"

8101482231_7a13fcb73a.jpg

Still waiting to see this film, sadly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Those scenes with Dudley Moore and Billy Barty make me laugh, too. I think Foul Play is the best comedy of the 1970s, which admittedly wasn't a great decade for comedy. It holds up really well.

Four of Susan Hayward's Oscar nominations will be shown, but her 5th Oscar nod that brought home the award is not on the August 30th schedule.  I'm happy to see her honored.  She's one of my favorites and feel she's pretty much overlooked today.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, LawrenceA said:

On Dustin Hoffman day (August 25) it's a shame they couldn't get Lenny (1974) as it's been mentioned in the Fosse/Verdon TV series, and there would be renewed interest in it. I would have left off The Tiger Makes OutDeath of a SalesmanHeroAgatha, and certainly Hook. I would have preferred the aforementioned LennyAll the President's Men (which they have shown recently, so that could slide), Straw Dogs for late night, Kramer vs Kramer since he won the Oscar for it, and maybe some of his older, more obscure titles like 1969's John and Mary with Mia Farrow or Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971). And Little Big Man (1970) is one of my personal favorites.

Totally agree about Lenny.  In fact, an episode of Fosse/Verdon featured Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse talking into a mic in a nightclub setting telling us about his problems (ala Lenny Bruce) and filmed in black & white. (Of course, Fosse directed Lenny.)

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, filmnoirguy said:

Four of Susan Hayward's Oscar nominations will be shown, but her 5th Oscar nod that brought home the award is not on the August 30th schedule.  I'm happy to see her honored.  She's one of my favorites and feel she's pretty much overlooked today.

I can't help thinking how much DownGoesFrazier would have appreciated seeing Susan Hayward day. As a poster, he always championed her. I'd love to see White Witch Doctor with Robert Mitchum in there; not sure whether TCM has ever shown it. I also like her British films, Stolen Hours (based on Dark Victory) and I Thank a Fool.

I'm looking forward to seeing Summer and Smoke, though not just for Rita Moreno; it has a very strong Geraldine Page performance and it's not often shown. Also Home in Indiana, picked to feature Walter Brennan, a real charmer which was later remade as April Love with Pat Boone and Shirley Jones.

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.55.19 PM.jpeg

TCM's backlot members chose Ruth Hussey (whose films will air on the 2nd of August).

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.58.40 PM.jpeg

And Joel McCrea (whose films will air on the 21st of August).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.55.19 PM.jpeg

TCM's backlot members chose Ruth Hussey (whose films will air on the 2nd of August).

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.58.40 PM.jpeg

And Joel McCrea (whose films will air on the 21st of August).

Excellent choices!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lydecker said:

Excellent choices!

I was hoping for Ruth Roman...but I do like Ruth Hussey. Very glad McCrea was chosen.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, Hibi said:

Yes! It's wonderful she was chosen, but diappointed that more of her Bergman films are not being shown. :( LOST HORIZON? Please.

OK Hibi, though it's far from legendary filmmaker Capra's finest hrs  It's still grand filmmaking & as Maltin points out it it's ending is UNFORGETTABLE!  (TRIVIA: Did you know the shot those scenes early on in an Ice Box?)

BESIDES ARE INCREDIBALLY OVERDUE & TCM SHOULD BE EMBARRASSEDC ABOUT THIS FACT< NOT HAVING US TCM-ITES CAST OUR INTELLIGENT FILM BUFFS VOTES ON THE ALL-TIME GREATEST IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY & IF IT EVER HAPPENES-(it's 25th Anniversary truly should have lit a fire under them ) must also be devided, like all other film sites, pages, books, newspapers, magazine;s,etc  into films, actors, actresses & directors!!!  TO ALL, WE MUST START A PETITION DRIVE FOLKS, A

SCIENTIFIC POLL TOO TCM!!!

& PN A MUCH, MUCH MUCH LIGHTER OTE, we tcm-ites should vote on our own best in these forums  Right now my vote is cast for TOPBILLED!\\thank you & again, to tcm's editing team, please consider 7 at nerxt mrrting really bring the decades used to be held survey, Like most the editors also cast their vites

1 minute ago, spence said:

B& PN A MUCH, MUCH MUCH LIGHTER OTE, we tcm-ites should vote on our own best in these forums  Right now my vote is cast for TOPBILLED!\\thank you & again, to tcm's editing team, please consider 7 at nerxt mrrting really bring the decades used to be held survey, Like most the editors also cast their vites

I am glad you consider me a friend, spence. But we all make important contributions here each day. 

No need to single out just one or two people! :) 

• Like 1

& opn that niote TOPBILLED, JAKKEM & LAWRENCE A, you honest opinion carries weifhht here PLESE IMMEDIATELY SEND YOUR RESPECTED VIEWPOINT ON THESE 2 LONG OVERDUE TOPIC???

• Thanks 1