LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

89 posts in this topic

I hadn't been on this thread in a couple of days and didn't now the Backlot choices had been announced. Do we know the films scheduled for those days yet? I would have been happy with either male "nominee". Robert Ryan was a really great actor, but I also like young McCrea (most Westerns don't really float my boat, so I'm not to up on most of the films from the long latter phase of his career). I didn't know who Ruth Roman was by name, but looking at her imdb resume, I see that I've seen her in Good SamDallas and Strangers on a Train. She also had bit parts in a lot of famous movies early in her career, though I don't suppose those would have been included.

So, here's a question I don't suppose any of us will really know a definitive answer to, but I will ask, anyway: does TCM have the rights squared away for all four performers in advance? I'm thinking a Joel McCrea day has gotta have at least a couple of Paramounts: a Sullivan's Travels or The Palm Beach Story. If they obtain some "out of library" films in advance in anticipation that he MIGHT get a SUTS day, and he doesn't, what do they do with those movies? Presumably, they just work them into the schedule at other times? I've always figured they limit the choices for these Backlot votes to performers whose catalogs TCM mostly already has the rights to.

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hadn't been on this thread in a couple of days and didn't now the Backlot choices had been announced. Do we know the films scheduled for those days yet?

Here's the lineup for Ruth Hussey's day, the 2nd of August:

rich man poor girl (1938)
spring madness (1938)
within the law (1939)
fast and furious (1939)
h.m. pulham esq. (1941) 
pierre of the plains (1942)
susan and god (1940)
tender comrade (1943)
the facts of life (1960)

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.55.19 PM.jpeg
the philadelphia story (1940)
the uninvited (1944)
our wife (1941)
married bachelor (1941)
blackmail (1939)
free and easy (1941)

And here's the lineup for Joel McCrea's day, the 21st of August:

the most dangerous game (1932)
bed of roses (1933)
gambling lady (1934)
the richest girl in the world (1934)
dead end (1937)
primrose path (1940)
wichita (1955)
colorado territory (1949)
the palm beach story (1942)

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.58.40 PM.jpeg
sullivan's travels (1941)
the more the merrier (1943)
union pacific (1939)
ride the high country (1962)
stars in my crown (1950)

• Thanks 5

Wow, Union Pacific! Never seen that. And we all know DeMille films don't exactly air on TCM every day. I checked out MCOH's database, and it's been seven years since it last aired. Dead End, I see aired once each in 2017 and 2016, but I bet it's been 10 years since I last saw it. I'm gonna try to check both of those out.

As for Ruth Hussey, well, they've got Paramount's The Uninvited mixed in among all the MGM stuff. one of my favorites, though more for Gail Russell's half-step-out-of-time performance. I'd like to see her get an SUTS day (if she hasn't already; I certainly don't remember one).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, Union Pacific! Never seen that. And we all know DeMille films don't exactly air on TCM every day. I checked out MCOH's database, and it's been seven years since it last aired. Dead End, I see aired once each in 2017 and 2016, but I bet it's been 10 years since I last saw it. I'm gonna try to check both of those out.

As for Ruth Hussey, well, they've got Paramount's The Uninvited mixed in among all the MGM stuff. one of my favorites, though more for Gail Russell's half-step-out-of-time performance. I'd like to see her get an SUTS day (if she hasn't already; I certainly don't remember one).

UNION PACIFIC is currently available on Starz streaming. But I'm glad TCM will be broadcasting it later this summer.

union-pacific-movie-poster-1939-1010143567.jpg

42 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hadn't been on this thread in a couple of days and didn't now the Backlot choices had been announced. Do we know the films scheduled for those days yet? I would have been happy with either male "nominee". Robert Ryan was a really great actor, but I also like young McCrea (most Westerns don't really float my boat, so I'm not to up on most of the films from the long latter phase of his career). I didn't know who Ruth Roman was by name, but looking at her imdb resume, I see that I've seen her in Good SamDallas and Strangers on a Train. She also had bit parts in a lot of famous movies early in her career, though I don't suppose those would have been included.

So, here's a question I don't suppose any of us will really know a definitive answer to, but I will ask, anyway: does TCM have the rights squared away for all four performers in advance? I'm thinking a Joel McCrea day has gotta have at least a couple of Paramounts: a Sullivan's Travels or The Palm Beach Story. If they obtain some "out of library" films in advance in anticipation that he MIGHT get a SUTS day, and he doesn't, what do they do with those movies? Presumably, they just work them into the schedule at other times? I've always figured they limit the choices for these Backlot votes to performers whose catalogs TCM mostly already has the rights to.

Ruth Roman probably never had a chance in this contest ... anyone comparing her credits versus those of Ruth Hussey would probably go for RH (THE WOMEN, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, THE UNINVITED, etc.) ... RR is great in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, but she's otherwise not well known. ... The most interesting thing about Ruth Roman may be her near-tragic end in the sinking of the SS Andrea Doria, including being separated from her three-year-old son in that mostly forgotten incident.

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Here's the lineup for Ruth Hussey's day, the 2nd of August:

rich man poor girl (1938)
spring madness (1938)
within the law (1939)
fast and furious (1939)
h.m. pulham esq. (1941) 
pierre of the plains (1942)
susan and god (1940)
tender comrade (1943)
the facts of life (1960)

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.55.19 PM.jpeg
the philadelphia story (1940)
the uninvited (1944)
our wife (1941)
married bachelor (1941)
blackmail (1939)
free and easy (1941)

And here's the lineup for Joel McCrea's day, the 21st of August:

the most dangerous game (1932)
bed of roses (1933)
gambling lady (1934)
the richest girl in the world (1934)
dead end (1937)
primrose path (1940)
wichita (1955)
colorado territory (1949)
the palm beach story (1942)

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.58.40 PM.jpeg
sullivan's travels (1941)
the more the merrier (1943)
union pacific (1939)
ride the high country (1962)
stars in my crown (1950)

No FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT?!

5 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

No FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT?!

Apparently not. 

I was hoping THE OUTRIDERS might have been included. It's a good Technicolor western he did at MGM in 1950. It seldom airs.

• Like 1

In addition to some of the more obvious choices for Joel McCrea's tribute, Bed of Roses is a solid film about two gals (Constance Bennett and Pert Kelton) who are no better than they should be. Joel McCrea is the nice guy who falls for Constance Bennett. Pert Kelton is a delight as the wisecracking best friend.

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Apparently not. 

I was hoping THE OUTRIDERS might have been included. It's a good Technicolor western he did at MGM in 1950. It seldom airs.

I've never seen this one.  Too bad TCM is showing "Primrose Path"; for my money, one of the most God-awful movies I've watched.  Most of the characters are pitchforkable!  But, that's what I love about TCM...a great deal of variety to suit everyone's tastes.  We can't all be happy with everything that's shown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

I've never seen this one.  Too bad TCM is showing "Primrose Path"; for my money, one of the most God-awful movies I've watched.  Most of the characters are pitchforkable!  But, that's what I love about TCM...a great deal of variety to suit everyone's tastes.  We can't all be happy with everything that's shown.

I didn't know "pitchforkable" was a word! :) 

• Haha 1

There was a thread once upon a time titled "Character You'd Most Like to Pitchfork". I'm not remembering who started it. Perhaps Midwestan is making a tip of the cap to it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

There was a thread once upon a time titled "Character You'd Most Like to Pitchfork". I'm not remembering who started it. Perhaps Midwestan is making a tip of the cap to it.

Good catch sewhite2000...that's exactly where I was going with my comment.  😎

I've listed all the films that will be airing in August on this thread in the SUTS sub-forum:

20 hours ago, midwestan said:

That would be a neat trick.

So, this is the type of thing I do when I can't sleep. I've made a list of every film airing during Summer Under the Stars that are outside of the usual TCM "library", i.e., all films airing that were NOT made at MGM, UA, RKO or WB. I also left out Embassy, Allied Artists and AIP, since I'm pretty sure almost all of those studios' films are now under the control of MGM, and TCM can show them any time they want. A handful of these films are in the public domain, like Penny Serenade and Charade, but as long as they weren't originally released by one of the above four studios, I listed them anyway.

One caveat: I pretty much left out all foreign films, as I didn't want to look up all their studios of origins that I would never have heard of, anyway. That leaves out pretty much all of Liv Ullman day. I think we can assume most of these films aren't typically under TCM's control.

Okay, here we go:

August 1 - Henry Fonda
Let Us Live (Columbia, 1939)
Young Mr. Lincoln (20th Century Fox, 1939)
The Grapes of Wrath (20th Century Fox, 1940)
The Lady Eve (Paramount, 1941)

August 2 - Ruth Hussey
Our Wife (Columbia, 1941)
The Uninvited (Paramount, 1944)

August 3 - Marlon Brando
The Wild One (Columbia, 1953)
On the Waterfront (Columbia, 1954)
Morituri (20th Century Fox, 1965)
The Freshman (Tri-Star, 1990)

August 4 - Shirley Temple
(All these titles are from 20th Century Fox)
Poor Little Rich Girl (1936)
Wee Willie Winkie (1937)
Heidi (1937)
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1938)
Susannah of the Mounties (1939)
The Little Princess (1939)

August 5 - Melvyn Douglas
Mary Burns, Fugitive (Paramount, 1935)
I Met Him in Paris (Paramount, 1937)
There's Always a Woman (Columbia, 1938)
There's That Woman Again (Columbia, 1938)
I Never Sang for My Father (Columbia, 1970)

August 6 - Lena Horne
The Duke is Tops (Million Dollar Productions, 1938)
Stormy Weather (20th Century Fox, 1943)

August 7 - James Stewart
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Columbia, 1939)
Harvey (Universal, 1950)
The Man from Laramie (Columbia, 1955)
Anatomy of a Murder (Columbia, 1959)

August 8 - Ava Gardner
The Killers (Universal, 1946)

August 9 - Red Skelton
None! It's 12 straight MGM releases.

August 10 - Rita Moreno
Seven Cities of Gold (20th Century Fox, 1955)
The Lieutenant Wore Skirts (20th Century Fox, 1956)
Summer and Smoke (Paramount, 1961)

August 11 - Humphrey Bogart
In a Lonely Place (Columbia, 1950)
The Caine Mutiny (Columbia, 1954)

August 12 - Ann Sothern
A Letter to Three Wives (20th Century Fox, 1949)
The Whales of August (Alive Films, 1987)

August 13 - Brian Donlevy
Beau Geste (Paramount, 1939)
The Great McGinty (Paramount, 1940)
Two Yanks in Trinidad (Columbia, 1942)
The Glass Key (Paramount, 1942)

August 14 - Liv Ullman
(As previously mentioned, mostly foreign films here I'm choosing not to list)
Lost Horizon (Columbia, 1973)

August 15 - Rod Steiger
The Harder They Fall (Columbia, 1956)
The Unholy Wife (Universal, 1957)
Run of the Arrow (Universal, 1957)

August 16 - Irene Dunn
Show Boat (Universal, 1936)
The Awful Truth (Columbia, 1937)
High, Wide and Handsome (Paramount, 1937)
When Tomorrow Comes (Universal, 1939)
Penny Serenade (Columbia, 1941)
Over 21 (Columbia, 1945)

August 17 - Erroll Flynn
None! 12 straight Warner Bros. pics

August 18 - Audrey Hepburn
Sabrina (Paramount, 1954)
Funny Face (Paramount, 1957)
Charade (Universal, 1963)
Paris When It Sizzles (Paramount, 1964)
Robin and Marian (Columbia, 1976)

August 19 - Buster Keaton
None! Everything is MGM, UA or AIP

August 20 - Dorothy McGuire
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (20th Century Fox, 1945)
Gentleman's Agreement (20th Century Fox, 1947)
Mother Didn't Tell Me (20th Century Fox, 1950)
Flight of the Doves (Columbia, 1971)

August 21 - Joel McCrea
Union Pacific (Paramount, 1939)
Sullivan's Travels (Paramount, 1941)
The Palm Beach Story (Paramount, 1942)
The More, the Merrier (Columbia, 1943)

August 22 - Leila Hyams
The Island of Lost Souls (Paramount, 1932)

August 23 - Fred Astaire
You Were Never Lovelier (Columbia, 1942)

August 24 - Shirley MacLaine
The Trouble with Harry (Paramount, 1955)
Gambit (Universal, 1966)
Woman Times Seven (20th Century Fox, 1967)
Sweet Charity (Universal, 1969)
Terms of Endearment (Paramount, 1983)
Steel Magnolias (Tri-Star, 1989)

August 25 - Dustin Hoffman
The Tiger Makes Out (Columbia, 1967)
Marathon Man (Paramount, 1976)
Tootsie (Columbia, 1982)
Death of a Salesman (CBS, 1985) (TV movie)
Hook (Tri-Star, 1991)
Hero (Columbia, 1992)

August 26 - Mary Astor
Return to Peyton Place (20th Century Fox, 1961)

August 27 - Walter Brennan
Home in Indiana (20th Century Fox, 1944)

August 28 - June Allyson
None! It's 12 MGM titles (or all "in library", anyway - too lazy to look it up again)

August 29 - Paul Lukas
Strictly Dishonorable (Universal, 1931)

August 30 - Susan Hayward
Smash-Up: the Story of a Woman (Universal, 1947)
House of Strangers (20th Century Fox, 1949)
With a Song in My Heart (20th Century Fox, 1952)

August 31 - Kirk Douglas
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Paramount, 1946)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (Paramount, 1957)
Spartacus (Universal, 1960)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

August 6 - Lena Horne
The Duke is Tops (Million Dollar Productions, 1938)

Add STORMY WEATHER...20th Century Fox.

• Thanks 1

I am very happy that they added films from PARAMOUNT, COLOMBIA AND 20TH CENTURY FOX.  I wish they have  had a GARY COOPER day with some his films from PARAMOUNT such as THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN, THE PLAINSMAN, PETER IBBETSON AND CITY STREETS.. These studios are as important to the history of cinema as their overexposed Metro films  .  In my book, metro is the least satisfactory of all the studios.  Too much Andy Hardy, too many cloying musicals, etc.;  therefore I like it the least..The younger viewers are not exposed to the other studios, thus they do not see the whole picture. This is a start and I  believe the programers are getting the message that the other studios output counts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

So, this is the type of thing I do when I can't sleep. I've made a list of every film airing during Summer Under the Stars that are outside of the usual TCM "library", i.e., all films airing that were NOT made at MGM, UA, RKO or WB. I also left out Embassy, Allied Artists and AIP, since I'm pretty sure almost all of those studios' films are now under the control of MGM, and TCM can show them any time they want. A handful of these films are in the public domain, like Penny Serenade and Charade, but as long as they weren't originally released by one of the above four studios, I listed them anyway.

One caveat: I pretty much left out all foreign films, as I didn't want to look up all their studios of origins that I would never have heard of, anyway. That leaves out pretty much all of Liv Ullman day. I think we can assume most of these films aren't typically under TCM's control.

Okay, here we go:

Nice list.  In the past I had a tally (but not a listing) which took all the so-called "in-house" Turner movies and subtracted them from the totals played each year.  It was the least useful report so I did away with it last year, being that it was only based on a Wikipedia article - a poor primary source and about as "he said/she said" as one can get.

In any case if one were to remove just the big-name studios under Turner, there would probably still be some smaller acquisitions, partnerships, and personal ventures (this time leaning on the accuracy of IMDB) which might not have been marked as such.

Furthermore there would be unmarked acquisitions of each of the major non-Turner studios (lesser known properties of studios like Universal, Fox, etc).

Then on top of that there would be all kinds of rights issues, which block those associations from working out in many different combinations of ways, and those can be moving targets as they are bound to fluctuate.

So to get to the bottom of it, I just didn't bother with this, other than to keep track of movies TCM apparently has shown, and then subtractively list the movies by studio and genre afterwards that TCM apparently hasn't shown (using IMDB).  The important part here is this includes a catch-all page for independent US studios and/or properties/acquisitions potentially not yet accounted for in the IMDB categorizations (as of Dec 2017 - the last time IMDB published their Prod Co index pages which listed all the movies made per Prod Co, for free users).  So in my case I decided to not assume the burden of tracking ownership, but rather pass that off to IMDB, and then on top of that provide an IMDB-based catch-all category for US releases.

It's a tough nut to crack.

• Thanks 1

I thought the Columbia films were also easily accessible to TCM. Thanks so much for making this list. Lots of interesting titles.

The Columbia films are owned by Sony, a completely separate entity, but they seem to have always had a cozy relationship with TCM. The Awful Truth, His Gal FridayOn the Waterfront and the films Frank Capra and David Lean made for Columbia I would guess are probably among the most-played "out of library" films in the network's history. I remember somebody once posted on here schedules from the first few weeks TCM was on the air, and they were mixing in some Columbia films right from the start. TCM's first-ever Star of the Month was Greta Garbo, an easy pick, since she made every one of her English-language films at MGM. But TCM's SECOND-ever Star of the Month, way back in June, 1994, was Glenn Ford (about to be spotlighted again), and while I wasn't watching way back then, I assume they must have shown some of his Columbia films, since he made so many for them (though he made a bunch at MGM, too).

But you never know how these things are going to go: for the past several years, I've been counting up the 31 Days of Oscar films by studio, and in 2017, the year they played the films in alphabetical order of title, I was stunned to see TCM was airing only five Columbia films the whole month. I was like, "Wow, have things soured between TCM and Sony?" But the very next month and ever since, TCM has been showing its usual share of Columbia pictures.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The Columbia films are owned by Sony, a completely separate entity, but they seem to have always had a cozy relationship with TCM. The Awful Truth, His Gal FridayOn the Waterfront and the films Frank Capra and David Lean made for Columbia I would guess are probably among the most-played "out of library" films in the network's history. I remember somebody once posted on here schedules from the first few weeks TCM was on the air, and they were mixing in some Columbia films right from the start. TCM's first-ever Star of the Month was Greta Garbo, an easy pick, since she made every one of her English-language films at MGM. But TCM's SECOND-ever Star of the Month, way back in June, 1994, was Glenn Ford (about to be spotlighted again), and while I wasn't watching way back then, I assume they must have shown some of his Columbia films, since he made so many for them (though he made a bunch at MGM, too).

But you never know how these things are going to go: for the past several years, I've been counting up the 31 Days of Oscar films by studio, and in 2017, the year they played the films in alphabetical order of title, I was stunned to see TCM was airing only five Columbia films the whole month. I was like, "Wow, have things soured between TCM and Sony?" But the very next month and ever since, TCM has been showing its usual share of Columbia pictures.

TCM had a partnership with Sony in the early years, which allowed them to show many Columbia classics. However, in recent years TCM seems to have dropped Sony/Columbia in favor of showing classics from Fox. The more popular Columbia classics still show up during 31 Days of Oscar, but they don't play as much now during other months of the year. The Columbia B films almost never air on TCM. You have to find them on other channels and streaming services.

• Thanks 1

In a different thread, I made a comparison to radio. Back in the real DJ days, the records were played. No one ever looked at the label. Considering the age of a lot of these movies, especially ones that pretty much only show on TCM, would it not make sense to rent it out and not let it gather dust? Classic movie fans should not suffer because license owners are greedy.

RUTH HUSSEY over RUTH ROMAN???? WHAT happened???