LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

124 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

RUTH HUSSEY over RUTH ROMAN???? WHAT happened???

I'm going to guess that perhaps Hussey had the more appealing filmography? I don't know.  I was rooting for Roman too.  I would been happy with either choice between Joel McCrea and Robert Ryan, so I'm glad to see McCrea.  I just recently discovered Ryan.  I wish I had discovered him when he was SOTM a few years ago! I really like him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I consider myself  pretty damn knowledgeable about classic film, and just by looking at her name, I had zero idea who Ruth Roman was, as I stated in a previous post. Checking out her imdb resume, I see that I had seen her in a handful of films, but she hadn't made enough of an impression on me for me to remember her. The typical viewer of TCM has probably seen quite a bit more of Ruth Hussey, who made a lot of films at MGM, and I suspect that's why she won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly knew of Roman from her appearance in an Errol Flynn movie and she’s also in the hilarious “Beyond the Forest” that I saw a couple summers ago. I believe she’s also in “Strangers on a Train.” I was interested in Roman only because she appeared in a lot of films I hadn’t heard of, let alone seen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm going to guess that perhaps Hussey had the more appealing filmography? I don't know.  I was rooting for Roman too.  I would been happy with either choice between Joel McCrea and Robert Ryan, so I'm glad to see McCrea.  I just recently discovered Ryan.  I wish I had discovered him when he was SOTM a few years ago! I really like him.

I think Roman has a more impressive filmography than Ruth Hussey does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, I consider myself  pretty damn knowledgeable about classic film, and just by looking at her name, I had zero idea who Ruth Roman was, as I stated in a previous post. Checking out her imdb resume, I see that I had seen her in a handful of films, but she hadn't made enough of an impression on me for me to remember her. The typical viewer of TCM has probably seen quite a bit more of Ruth Hussey, who made a lot of films at MGM, and I suspect that's why she won.

No idea who Ruth Roman was???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think Roman has a more impressive filmography than Ruth Hussey does.

 

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No idea who Ruth Roman was???

Ruth Hussey movies that I've seen and liked - Another Thin ManThe Philadelphia StoryThe Uninvited...that's about it.

Ruth Roman movies that I've seen and liked - ChampionStrangers on a TrainThe Far CountryThe Baby

So for me, it's kind of a toss-up. However, I'd probably have chosen Roman, because I have trouble even picturing Hussey in my mind, while I clearly recall Roman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the big difference between the two was Roman played leads, Hussey was a supporting player. Roman appeared in quite a few noirs. (several of which have appeared on Noir Alley).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No idea who Ruth Roman was???

Well, you seem to be going out of your way to make me feel small and stupid, but no, I didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, you seem to be going out of your way to make me feel small and stupid, but no, I didn't.

Not really, just surprised. I would think she'd be better known than Ruth Hussey, but who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough. Sorry if I overreacted

As I say, I checked out her imdb resume, and I have actually seen a few of her films, but her name just didn't go into my long-term memory banks until she started being discussed here. It may be some kind of gender bias I have, but I seem to remember individual actors more easily than I do actresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I think the big difference between the two was Roman played leads, Hussey was a supporting player. Roman appeared in quite a few noirs. (several of which have appeared on Noir Alley).

Ruth Hussey had leads in MGM programmers (which were one step up from B films). But yes, she was not what we'd call an "A" lister.

On the other hand Ruth Roman did have leads at Warners and at other studios when she freelanced. But she probably made more of a name for herself on television. Casting directors often called Roman's agent to offer the actress parts that Joan Crawford turned down (because Crawford felt television was beneath her). Ruth Roman was really the only other person who could do those kinds of domineering mother roles that Crawford did. She had the gravitas for it that so many other actresses lacked.  

Roman does a marvelous job as Martin Milner's unhinged mother in an episode of Route 66. She's also on-hand as a woman who covers up her daughter's murder in an episode of The Naked City which has shades of Mildred and Veda Pierce. And she's spectacular in an episode of Cannon where she has to turn a Norman Bates type son over to the police. In the 80s, she appeared on a season of Knots Landing as an aging con artist who pretended to be a political candidate's long-lost mother as part of a shakedown. She was fantastic in that role.

Ruth Roman was one of the better actresses of her generation. She never got the accolades or recognition she deserved. Hopefully TCM will consider making her a Summer Under the Stars honoree next year, without the need to vote her in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Ruth Hussey wasn't on the Andrea Doria.

TRUE! Ruth Roman was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not bad, but my fav were Ashley Holt's from 2014 (or 15)

(I think) :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, skimpole said:

Yay!  Liv UIlmann gets a day! 

She's still very beautiful, in good health & enjoying classic movies. I'll bet she's thrilled TCM is honoring her for SUTS!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruth Hussey Day on SUTS and I'm glad to see it.  I've always thought she was underestimated.  She practically steals "The Philadelphia Story" out from under Hepburn, Grant and Stewart.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, DougieB said:

I'd love to see White Witch Doctor with Robert Mitchum in there; not sure whether TCM has ever shown it. I also like her British films, Stolen Hours (based on Dark Victory) and I Thank a Fool.

Yeah- Hayward & Mitchum- wow! Glad others enjoy her too, I remember DGF complimenting her.

I can't help delighting in Hayward as floozy (my Mom named me after her) and have a lobby card of Hayward blindfolded in the electric chair from I WANT TO LIVE!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a baseball nut, and August is a pretty baseball-intensive month for me, as the playoff races really begin to come into focus. So, alas, I typically just don't watch much of SUTS in any given year. But I took a night off from baseball last night and watched The Lady Eve and 12 Angry Men, both of which I've seen a dozen times before, but I enjoyed nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Perception vs. reality is a funny thing sometimes. I think we're all just used to seeing a lot of Henry Fonda movies in general on the network. But I just did a quick scan, and I can only find Fonda featured in SUTS five times. And the last time was 2013.

How many other stars have been featured during SUTS five time or more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cinemanut said:

How many other stars have been featured during SUTS five time or more?

I actually wrote this down once, but I'd be hard-pressed to place my hands on the particular notebook that contains that information without a lot of searching, probably. I think we can safely say James Stewart for sure. I think they used him the first four years in a row, or four of the first five, before they got a little broader in their selections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 6:07 AM, TikiSoo said:

Yeah- Hayward & Mitchum- wow! Glad others enjoy her too, I remember DGF complimenting her.

I can't help delighting in Hayward as floozy (my Mom named me after her) and have a lobby card of Hayward blindfolded in the electric chair from I WANT TO LIVE!

Is this the lobby card?

lf.jpg

I remember thinking that the card was a bit bold for 1958 the first time I saw a photo of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Is this the lobby card?

No, it's horizontal and shows the curved wall & witnesses (as I recall) can't seem to find it among my unframed lobbies. It actually may be with MrTikis "law enforcement" lobbies elsewhere. (mine are mostly rom-com Judy Holliday/Leslie Caron type images)

I bought it because I also found it rather shocking.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us