LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

89 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

RUTH HUSSEY over RUTH ROMAN???? WHAT happened???

I'm going to guess that perhaps Hussey had the more appealing filmography? I don't know.  I was rooting for Roman too.  I would been happy with either choice between Joel McCrea and Robert Ryan, so I'm glad to see McCrea.  I just recently discovered Ryan.  I wish I had discovered him when he was SOTM a few years ago! I really like him.

• Like 1

I mean, I consider myself  pretty damn knowledgeable about classic film, and just by looking at her name, I had zero idea who Ruth Roman was, as I stated in a previous post. Checking out her imdb resume, I see that I had seen her in a handful of films, but she hadn't made enough of an impression on me for me to remember her. The typical viewer of TCM has probably seen quite a bit more of Ruth Hussey, who made a lot of films at MGM, and I suspect that's why she won.

I mostly knew of Roman from her appearance in an Errol Flynn movie and she’s also in the hilarious “Beyond the Forest” that I saw a couple summers ago. I believe she’s also in “Strangers on a Train.” I was interested in Roman only because she appeared in a lot of films I hadn’t heard of, let alone seen. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm going to guess that perhaps Hussey had the more appealing filmography? I don't know.  I was rooting for Roman too.  I would been happy with either choice between Joel McCrea and Robert Ryan, so I'm glad to see McCrea.  I just recently discovered Ryan.  I wish I had discovered him when he was SOTM a few years ago! I really like him.

I think Roman has a more impressive filmography than Ruth Hussey does.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mean, I consider myself  pretty damn knowledgeable about classic film, and just by looking at her name, I had zero idea who Ruth Roman was, as I stated in a previous post. Checking out her imdb resume, I see that I had seen her in a handful of films, but she hadn't made enough of an impression on me for me to remember her. The typical viewer of TCM has probably seen quite a bit more of Ruth Hussey, who made a lot of films at MGM, and I suspect that's why she won.

No idea who Ruth Roman was???

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think Roman has a more impressive filmography than Ruth Hussey does.

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Ruth Hussey movies that I've seen and liked - Another Thin ManThe Philadelphia StoryThe Uninvited...that's about it.

Ruth Roman movies that I've seen and liked - ChampionStrangers on a TrainThe Far CountryThe Baby

So for me, it's kind of a toss-up. However, I'd probably have chosen Roman, because I have trouble even picturing Hussey in my mind, while I clearly recall Roman.

I think the big difference between the two was Roman played leads, Hussey was a supporting player. Roman appeared in quite a few noirs. (several of which have appeared on Noir Alley).

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, you seem to be going out of your way to make me feel small and stupid, but no, I didn't.

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, you seem to be going out of your way to make me feel small and stupid, but no, I didn't.

Not really, just surprised. I would think she'd be better known than Ruth Hussey, but who knows?

Fair enough. Sorry if I overreacted

As I say, I checked out her imdb resume, and I have actually seen a few of her films, but her name just didn't go into my long-term memory banks until she started being discussed here. It may be some kind of gender bias I have, but I seem to remember individual actors more easily than I do actresses. 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I think the big difference between the two was Roman played leads, Hussey was a supporting player. Roman appeared in quite a few noirs. (several of which have appeared on Noir Alley).

Ruth Hussey had leads in MGM programmers (which were one step up from B films). But yes, she was not what we'd call an "A" lister.

On the other hand Ruth Roman did have leads at Warners and at other studios when she freelanced. But she probably made more of a name for herself on television. Casting directors often called Roman's agent to offer the actress parts that Joan Crawford turned down (because Crawford felt television was beneath her). Ruth Roman was really the only other person who could do those kinds of domineering mother roles that Crawford did. She had the gravitas for it that so many other actresses lacked.  

Roman does a marvelous job as Martin Milner's unhinged mother in an episode of Route 66. She's also on-hand as a woman who covers up her daughter's murder in an episode of The Naked City which has shades of Mildred and Veda Pierce. And she's spectacular in an episode of Cannon where she has to turn a Norman Bates type son over to the police. In the 80s, she appeared on a season of Knots Landing as an aging con artist who pretended to be a political candidate's long-lost mother as part of a shakedown. She was fantastic in that role.

Ruth Roman was one of the better actresses of her generation. She never got the accolades or recognition she deserved. Hopefully TCM will consider making her a Summer Under the Stars honoree next year, without the need to vote her in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Ruth Hussey wasn't on the Andrea Doria.

TRUE! Ruth Roman was!