LawrenceA

August 2019 Schedule is up - SUTS

124 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, cinemanut said:

How many other stars have been featured during SUTS five time or more?

Okay, here we go:

Most SUTS Appearances All-Time:

9 Times:
Katharine Hepburn

8 Times:
Humphrey Bogart
Cary Grant
James Stewart
John Wayne

7 Times:
Doris Day

6 Times:
Gary Cooper
Joan Crawford
Kirk Douglas
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Elizabeth Taylor

5 Times:
Fred Astaire
Marlon Brando
Judy Garland
Gregory Peck
Sidney Poitier
Elvis Presley
Barbara Stanwyck
Spencer Tracy

4 Times:
Lucille Ball
Ingrid Bergman
James Cagney
Clint Eastwood
Greta Garbo
Ava Gardner
William Holden
Audrey Hepburn
Gene Kelly
Myrna Loy
Robert Mitchum

• Thanks 7

Very happy to have seen to 2 Melvyn Douglas TCM premieres on Monday, THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN and MARY BURNS, FUGITIVE. I hope in time TCM will get around to screen Melvyn Douglas and Rosalind Russell in THIS THING CALLED LOVE.

Thanks for the stats! As much as I love these thespians, I feel that anyone with six appearances or more should take a well deserve rest.

19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, here we go:

9 Times:
Katharine Hepburn

8 Times:
Humphrey Bogart
Cary Grant
James Stewart
John Wayne

7 Times:
Doris Day

6 Times:
Gary Cooper
Joan Crawford
Kirk Douglas
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Elizabeth Taylor

5 Times:
Fred Astaire
Marlon Brando
Judy Garland
Gregory Peck
Sidney Poitier
Elvis Presley
Barbara Stanwyck
Spencer Tracy

4 Times:
Lucille Ball
Ingrid Bergman
James Cagney
Clint Eastwood
Greta Garbo
Ava Gardner
William Holden
Audrey Hepburn
Gene Kelly
Myrna Loy
Robert Mitchum

3 hours ago, cinemanut said:

As much as I love these thespians, I feel that anyone with six appearances or more should take a well deserve rest.

I agree! And yet this year we have Bogart and Stewart making their eighth appearances (and slightly less atrocious but Gardner and Audrey Hepburn making their fourth appearances).

• Like 1

I am against Summer Under The Stars. It would be like a radio station playing Elvis all day long. Just as annoying as Hallmark and their Christmas movies. But that is just me.

It does not sound like HBO Max will replicate the likes of FilmStruck. They plan to include TCM. I want something different than TCM.

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I agree! And yet this year we have Bogart and Stewart making their eighth appearances (and slightly less atrocious but Gardner and Audrey Hepburn making their fourth appearances).

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention Henry Fonda making his sixth appearance. So, some interesting newbies this year, but also no fewer than five actors appearing for at least the fourth time.

It would be slightly more tolerable if these stars didn't get frequent days dedicated to their birthdays and have been SOTM, too.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:37 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, here we go:

9 Times:
Katharine Hepburn

8 Times:
Humphrey Bogart
Cary Grant
James Stewart
John Wayne

7 Times:
Doris Day

6 Times:
Gary Cooper
Joan Crawford
Kirk Douglas
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Elizabeth Taylor

5 Times:
Fred Astaire
Marlon Brando
Judy Garland
Gregory Peck
Sidney Poitier
Elvis Presley
Barbara Stanwyck
Spencer Tracy

4 Times:
Lucille Ball
Ingrid Bergman
James Cagney
Clint Eastwood
Greta Garbo
Ava Gardner
William Holden
Audrey Hepburn
Gene Kelly
Myrna Loy
Robert Mitchum

11 minutes ago, cinemanut said:

It would be slightly more tolerable if these stars didn't get frequent days dedicated to their birthdays and have been SOTM, too.

I also forgot to mention Marlon Brando, who got his fifth SUTS appearance this month. But somehow Brando has never been SOTM.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:37 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, here we go:

9 Times:
Katharine Hepburn

8 Times:
Humphrey Bogart
Cary Grant
James Stewart
John Wayne

7 Times:
Doris Day

6 Times:
Gary Cooper
Joan Crawford
Kirk Douglas
Bette Davis
Henry Fonda
Elizabeth Taylor

5 Times:
Fred Astaire
Marlon Brando
Judy Garland
Gregory Peck
Sidney Poitier
Elvis Presley
Barbara Stanwyck
Spencer Tracy

4 Times:
Lucille Ball
Ingrid Bergman
James Cagney
Clint Eastwood
Greta Garbo
Ava Gardner
William Holden
Audrey Hepburn
Gene Kelly
Myrna Loy
Robert Mitchum

AWFUL. The same old suspects! K. Hepburn should be banished for at least 5 years!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

AWFUL. The same old suspects! K. Hepburn should be banished for at least 5 years!

She got a day just last year, so we're currently one year into her "banishment". But given that she shows up pretty much every other year, I wouldn't be surprised if she was back in 2020.

Good grief, I also forgot Kirk Douglas!

So, just to recap, Bogie and Jimmy Stewart making their eighth appearances this year, Fonda and Kirk Douglas their sixth, Brando his fifth and Ava Gardner and Audrey Hepburn their fourth.

Well, for the people honored 4-5-or 6 times, that means they get a day once every 4-5-or 6 years by TCM, so I don't think that's so excessive.  I wish TCM would scrounge up movies for more 'B-listers', as it were, or at least 'A-listers' who might be more forgotten than the steady diet we seem to get fed.  I beat this drum seemingly every year, but here are a few of the men and women I'd like to see have a future SUTS day on TCM:

Actors:  Richard Carlson, Ralph Meeker, James Craig, Hume Cronyn, Don Ameche, Keenan Wynn, Zachary Scott

Actresses:  Gladys Cooper, Ann Sheridan, Lee Patrick, Eileen Heckert, Arlene Dahl,  Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson

• Like 1

12 hours ago, midwestan said:

Well, for the people honored 4-5-or 6 times, that means they get a day once every 4-5-or 6 years by TCM, so I don't think that's so excessive. 

SUTS only started in 2003, so the people who have appeared 4-5-6 times are getting a day more like once every three years. Katharine Hepburn has gotten a day in more than half of all the years!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think for me it also depends on whether they have enough different movies not to repeat over multiple selections.  I think TCM has run about 50 of John Wayne's movies from Stagecoach on, so would be easier to have no repeats, especially if they can get a couple of those Poverty Row westerns he made in the 30s.  Somebody like Audrey Hepburn who made a lot fewer movies is a different story.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I think for me it also depends on whether they have enough different movies not to repeat over multiple selections.

That's a good point.  What do you think about selections like today when they show "Singin' in the Rain" for Rita Moreno's day?  Her "Zelda" is barely on screen for a matter of minutes.  

It depends on the movie with the bit part.  If it's something that doesn't get shown quite so often, like The Lavender Hill Mob for Audrey Hepburn, it's different from something like Singin' in the Rain for Moreno.  The latter would probably be better for the one-night prime time themes TCM does the rest of the year.

As I've pointed out before, there are people who don't actually know classic movies like Singin' in the Rain or (gasp!) CasablancaBack in 2010, I blogged about an incident that happened on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?:

So I was watching Who Wants to Be a Millionaire yesterday, and the contestant got to a question that went something like this: "The controversial 1998 book As Time Goes By tells the stories of Rick, Ilsa, and Victor after the end of what movie?" Now, anybody who reads a blog like this will probably know the answer without needing the four choices. The contestant sees the four choices, and says roughly, "I know that Ilsa was in The Sound of Music, so I'll say The Sound of Music, final answer." Oh, dear.

Some people are going to mock the contestant for not knowing Casablanca; my immediate thought then was that there are people who simply don't know these movies at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peebs said:

What do you think about selections like today when they show "Singin' in the Rain" for Rita Moreno's day?  Her "Zelda" is barely on screen for a matter of minutes.  

Certainly an odd selection, but being a library film, it was probably an easy decision to help fill up the schedule without having to pay for another movie.

A little more curious is The Tiger Makes Out, a film another poster (Lawrence) says Dustin Hoffman is only in for about two minutes. And it's from Columbia, so presumably TCM had to pay for it. But maybe they have it leased and are obligated to show it more than once. 

And then Lena Horne was practically a whole day of that sort of thing. Other than the three movies she actually had speaking roles in, they just filled out the rest of the day with MGM musicals, all of which she was in for less than 10 minutes each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fedya said:

As I've pointed out before, there are people who don't actually know classic movies like Singin' in the Rain or (gasp!) Casablanca.

Sure, there are always new people discovering TCM and classic movies so I don't mind them showing things like "Casablanca" or "Singin' in the Rain".  I found myself watching "Singin'..." this morning even though I know it by heart.  Hard to resist.

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

A little more curious is The Tiger Makes Out, a film another poster (Lawrence) says Dustin Hoffman is only in for about two minutes.

Me too.  I've heard of it but never seen it.  I'm curious to see a pre-Graduate Dustin Hoffman.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, midwestan said:

Well, for the people honored 4-5-or 6 times, that means they get a day once every 4-5-or 6 years by TCM, so I don't think that's so excessive.  I wish TCM would scrounge up movies for more 'B-listers', as it were, or at least 'A-listers' who might be more forgotten than the steady diet we seem to get fed.  I beat this drum seemingly every year, but here are a few of the men and women I'd like to see have a future SUTS day on TCM:

Actors:  Richard Carlson, Ralph Meeker, James Craig, Hume Cronyn, Don Ameche, Keenan Wynn, Zachary Scott

Actresses:  Gladys Cooper, Ann Sheridan, Lee Patrick, Eileen Heckert, Arlene Dahl,  Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson

I'd add Lloyd Nolan to the list, too!

• Like 3

Gladys Cooper would feature all the Pitch-Forking Worthy performances we see frequently : Now, Voyager,  Separate Tables, Mrs Parkington and Song of Bernadette....

One other "complaint" [for lack of a better term}I have with SUTS is some of the stars or movies TCM chooses to show. I find absolutely nothing wrong with Lena Horne or Rita Moreno as SUTS picks, but Horne appearances in most of these films were just very brief cameos as was Moreno's in films like Carnal Knowledge. In other words, one gets to see very little of the actual work they did in their movie career. And this is a frequent issue when spotlighting stars who really weren't leads or even major support in these films. Speaking of Carnal Knowledge has Ann-Margaret ever has a SUTS day?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cinemanut said:

One other "complaint" [for lack of a better term}I have with SUTS is some of the stars or movies TCM chooses to show. I find absolutely nothing wrong with Lena Horne or Rita Moreno as SUTS picks, but Horne appearances in most of these films were just very brief cameos as was Moreno's in films like Carnal Knowledge. In other words, one gets to see very little of the actual work they did in their movie career. And this is a frequent issue when spotlighting stars who really weren't leads or even major support in these films. Speaking of Carnal Knowledge has Ann-Margaret ever has a SUTS day?

I think Ann-Margret was featured last year.

EDIT: So apparently Ann-Margret was featured in 2015.  It doesn't seem like it's been that long.  Maybe she was featured during another spotlight more recently? I don't know. But to answer your question, yes Ann-Margret has had a SUTS day.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, sewhite2000 said:

She got a day just last year, so we're currently one year into her "banishment". But given that she shows up pretty much every other year, I wouldn't be surprised if she was back in 2020.

Sadly, yes. Not to mention her films are in full rotation the rest of the year.....

• Like 2