yanceycravat

The Doris Day Appreciation Thread

482 posts in this topic

Every time this thread is bumped back to the first page, it's like Doris dying all over again.

Maybe it should be retitled "Appreciating Doris Day." Just a suggestion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, TopBilled said:

Every time this thread is bumped back to the first page, it's like Doris dying all over again.

Maybe it should be retitled "Appreciating Doris Day." Just a suggestion.

If you can make the change, feel free to do so.  I did not write the heading for this topic.  I would have preferred simply as "Doris Day (1922-2019)" for this topic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, noah80 said:

If you can make the change, feel free to do so.  I did not write the heading for this topic.  I would have preferred simply as "Doris Day (1922-2019)" for this topic.

I think yanceycravat would have to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 12:59 AM, noah80 said:

Ryan-Melcher-mother-Jacqueline.jpg

a rare photo of Ryan (Doris' only grandchild and also not in her will) with his mother

 

Well, that's no surprise. Not that he needs any money. Who WAS in the will? Never read anything about it. Did she will everything to her charity? Even the house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, that's no surprise. Not that he needs any money. Who WAS in the will? Never read anything about it. Did she will everything to her charity? Even the house?

I hope her hotel in Carmel stays in business.  I always wanted to stay there. Though, I wanted to stay there hoping to see Doris Day (I know, a pipe dream, lol). Obviously now that's not going to happen, but I think it'd still be cool. I also like Carmel. It's a gorgeous town. 

I've stayed at the Hotel Vertigo in San Francisco.  This building served as the location for Kim Novak's Hotel Empire apartment in Vertigo. I've been to the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, CA that they used for Some Like it Hot.  The beach and lobby were awesome. They still had the elevator in the lobby that was seen in the film. It's on my bucket list to stay there someday, even if I can only afford one night. I've also been to the Wolf Creek Inn in S. Oregon where Carole Lombard and Clark Gable were known to stay--I even saw their room! It'd be amazing if someday, when I'm in S. Oregon again, I run into Kim Novak somewhere.  

It's nice that we still have these little connections to the Golden Age of Hollywood. Something that we can actually see and experience. 

Sorry if I went off on a tangent there... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I hope her hotel in Carmel stays in business.  I always wanted to stay there. Though, I wanted to stay there hoping to see Doris Day (I know, a pipe dream, lol). Obviously now that's not going to happen, but I think it'd still be cool. I also like Carmel. It's a gorgeous town. 

I've stayed at the Hotel Vertigo in San Francisco.  This building served as the location for Kim Novak's Hotel Empire apartment in Vertigo. I've been to the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, CA that they used for Some Like it Hot.  The beach and lobby were awesome. They still had the elevator in the lobby that was seen in the film. It's on my bucket list to stay there someday, even if I can only afford one night. I've also been to the Wolf Creek Inn in S. Oregon where Carole Lombard and Clark Gable were known to stay--I even saw their room! It'd be amazing if someday, when I'm in S. Oregon again, I run into Kim Novak somewhere.  

It's nice that we still have these little connections to the Golden Age of Hollywood. Something that we can actually see and experience. 

Sorry if I went off on a tangent there... 

WOW! Thanks for that info. I didnt realize that house in Vertigo was STILL there! Do you know in what part of Oregon Kim lives? I think that Doris was part owner of the inn, so I'm assuming it will stay under the same management with her partner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW! Thanks for that info. I didnt realize that house in Vertigo was STILL there! Do you know what part of Oregon Kim lives? I think that Doris was part owner of the inn, so I'm assuming it will stay under the same management with her partner.

She lives in Sams Valley, OR, about 30 mins NW of Medford in S. Oregon.  Medford is about 45 mins north of the Oregon-California border. I know in 2000 Kim's ranch burned down and she rebuilt her home on another property in a different city in S. Oregon. 

Kim Novak lives about 4.5 hours south of me.  So close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW. That's sad. I'd forgotten about that. I know Medford due to Double Indemnity! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW. That's sad. I'd forgotten about that. I know Medford due to Double Indemnity! :D

I always love when he starts talking about Medford, Corvallis and Klamath Falls. I'm like "I've been to all those places!" It's always fun when Oregon is mentioned. In '90210' David's mom just moved to Portland. I'm like "ooh, maybe I'll see David and Donna downtown!" Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 12:55 PM, Hibi said:

I know Medford due to Double Indemnity! :D

You beat me to it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 4:52 PM, noah80 said:

Maybe Ryan had to choose between his mother and grandmother.  By the way, the Doris Day Animal Foundation wants you to know everything's ok by releasing the IRS form

https://www.dorisdayanimalfoundation.org/DDAF-Form990-2017.pdf

 

How did you get a hold of that? What's odd is that Doris did want to reconnect with him. Guess we'll have to wait for a tell all book to hear what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could also ask: "Ryan found out about his grandmother's death through social media? Are you serious?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, noah80 said:

You could also ask: "Ryan found out about his grandmother's death through social media? Are you serious?"

LOL. Sadly, we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I've been looking for a Doris Day photo for avatar but couldn't find the right one until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 years ago today...

On Oct. 6, 1959, Rock Hudson and Doris Day's Pillow Talk premiered in New York theaters. The film went on to be nominated for five Oscars at the 32nd Academy Awards, winning for its screenplay. The Hollywood Reporter's original review, headlined "'Pillow Talk' Hilarious, Sophisticated, Surefire," is below.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/pillow-talk-review-movie-1959-1234701

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, noah80 said:

60 years ago today...

On Oct. 6, 1959, Rock Hudson and Doris Day's Pillow Talk premiered in New York theaters. The film went on to be nominated for five Oscars at the 32nd Academy Awards, winning for its screenplay. The Hollywood Reporter's original review, headlined "'Pillow Talk' Hilarious, Sophisticated, Surefire," is below.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/pillow-talk-review-movie-1959-1234701

It does have a very clever screenplay. Most deserving of the Oscar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us