Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Will the gosh darn obsession with political correctness kill the TCM message boards?

38 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I don't think the Code of Conduct states one must discuss a movie every now and then. 

By the way WHAT HAPPENED TO IT? :huh::blink:

Yeah but if you're on a movie website you should at least be discussing movies every once in a while. Going years without even discussing movies at all is odd to say the least. 

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah but if you're on a movie website you should at least be discussing movies every once in a while. Going years without even discussing movies at all is odd to say the least. 

I can really only think of 3 people who fit that description, and one of them very occasionally pops up in a movie thread, but usually just to post something with a political slant. That particular person used to post about movies a lot in the olden days, but not any more.

There are a few who post in the Off Topics that also post elsewhere, but not nearly as much. One in particular usually only posts in threads that he's created himself, almost always with copy-and-pasted material from other sources (pictures, tweets, YouTube clips, stories from other sites, etc.), and will rarely if ever respond to other people. I find that nearly as irritating as the politics-only posters, but it's easy enough to avoid them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I can really only think of 3 people who fit that description, and one of them very occasionally pops up in a movie thread, but usually just to post something with a political slant. That particular person used to post about movies a lot in the olden days, but not any more.

There are a few who post in the Off Topics that also post elsewhere, but not nearly as much. One in particular usually only posts in threads that he's created himself, almost always with copy-and-pasted material from other sources (pictures, tweets, YouTube clips, stories from other sites, etc.), and will rarely if ever respond to other people. I find that nearly as irritating as the politics-only posters, but it's easy enough to avoid them.

So Lawrence. How do you feel about that one SOB around here who never EVER misses an opportunity to rant on about how Brits and Canadians spell certain words in our shared language?

And, how Ben pronounces the word "actor"?

(...boy, talk about "irritating", RIGHT?!!)

;)

LOL

• Haha 2

Just now, Dargo said:

So Lawrence. How do you feel about that one SOB around here who never EVER misses an opportunity to rant on about how Brits and Canadians spell certain words in our shared language?

And, how Ben pronounces the word "actor"?

(...boy, talk about "irritating", RIGHT?!!)

;)

LOL

I don't know...I kind of find him charming, in a James-Coburn-telling-airport-stories-about-Kirk-Douglas sort of way.

• Haha 2

The "mod(s)" here only do the occasional garbage collection.  Not involved in any visible way as "moderators" in the usual sense in an online community.  There is your problem.

I think slatonoff's problem is that the Lillian Gish Theater topic was allowed to stay in General Discussions.  It should have been moved to Off Topic where it belonged to start with.  In fact, I suggested that early on.

Off Topic should remain and those who do not wish to discuss those topics can ignore it.

This topic should be moved to Off Topic.

Looks like one of my my post got moved to the thread graveyard.  It wasn't obscene or targeted anyone (why I used John Doe), just to show what went on during 2007. 

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Looks like one of my my post got moved to the thread graveyard.  It wasn't obscene or targeted anyone (why I used John Doe), just to show what went on during 2007. 

That was a refreshing change of pace with the non-political, non-PC ad-hominem Internet message board attacks which went nowhere but seemed to cover all ground.  The likes of which I hadn't seen in some time.  :P

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That was a refreshing change of pace with the non-political, non-PC ad-hominem Internet message board attacks which went nowhere but seemed to cover all ground.  The likes of which I hadn't seen in some time.  :P

I laughed myself into a headache when first reading it. :lol:

That was a small sample of what went on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

The most famous and contentious thread if I remember correctly happened in 2008 with the Heinz57 thread. That was a super major death spiral amongst several dozen members here with one member, HollyGoLightly literally going ballistic. I believe she even went so far as to threaten a lawsuit against not only TCM but also several of the message board members. Those were chilling non-political moments here on the message board when many of us did not know the boards would even survive.

10 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

The most famous and contentious thread if I remember correctly happened in 2008 with the Heinz57 thread. That was a super major death spiral amongst several dozen members here with one member, HollyGoLightly literally going ballistic. I believe she even went so far as to threaten a lawsuit against not only TCM but also several of the message board members. Those were chilling non-political moments here on the message board when many of us did not know the boards would even survive.

Yeah, I remember that, Rey.

Yep, I should have NEVER told her that I've heard better renditions of Moon River than hers.

(...you'll be glad to know that the judge threw out her lawsuit...my lawyer's pretty good, ya know)

;)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I remember that, Rey.

Yep, I should have NEVER told her that I've heard better renditions of Moon River than hers.

(...you'll be glad to know that the judge threw out her lawsuit...my lawyer's pretty good, ya know)

;)

You know Dargo, I had a sneaky idea that you had something to do with that...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fxreyman said:

The TCM administrators should just get rid of the Off-Topic Forum. Too much negativity over there and way too much political correctness going on. Hard to believe that so many people who post there are full of hate and in some cases ignorance.

I agree about the negativity, but would say the ignorance is in MOST cases!  ;)  

And too, it isn't "political Correctness" going on there, as most of the discussions are about what some say is the "incorrectness" of politics these days.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone