Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

Green Bananas

8 posts in this topic

Anybody else around the country getting green bananas in your super markets? I'm not talking platanos. Gone are the yellow or yellow/leopard spotted bananas of old. In the last two or three years our supermarkets now have really green bananas, you got to wait for them to ripen now. What are they doing flying them up here now? :D Just curious.

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Anybody else around the country getting green bananas in your super markets? I'm not talking platanos. Gone are the yellow or yellow/leopard spotted bananas of old. In the last two or three years our supermarkets now have really green bananas, you got to wait for them to ripen now. What are they doing flying them up here now? :D Just curious.

Yes, they are putting them out while they are greener than usual. Like ham said, they always ship them green to avoid as much rot and loss as possible, but they waited to put them out for sale until they had yellowed to the "normal" level. The grocery store I use has been putting them out while still very green for the last few months. I don't know if it has something to do with the harvest, or if it's a new practice to sell them green, or what.

The yellow ones weren't an issue for me. I only buy them in bunches of 4 or 5, and they're all eaten before they turn.

I prefer the ripe ones, I'm just curious as to the why of the change. Like I mentioned, are the harvested bananas getting here sooner or are they harvesting the bunches sooner than they used to? 

Are they still coming here by banana boat. :D

Daylight come and me wanna go home, so I'm not sure.

I'll be sure to ask the tally-man the next time he tally me bananas.

• Haha 2

Our supermarket generally has a mix.  Some green, some ripe, some cheap with lots of brown spots.  Actually I think it has to do with when they get them that they are probably green.  They also have a lot of them for some reason, so that may be a factor.  Green ones will last longer before they have to reduce price.