Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Because of the new anti-abortion law(s)...

82 posts in this topic

I have long believed it is hypocritical to believe abortion is murder, but then decide that it is OK in cases of rape or incest.  Incidentally I am for no limitations on abortion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

The likely outcome is that about half the states - the blue ones - would have liberal abortion laws while the red states would have these severe ones where four weeks pregnant rape victims could not have an abortion unless a police report had been filed, and often they are not filed.

And there would probably be border checkpoints (like California used to have for fruit) Along red state boundaries with blue states where the moral police will detain and check all women of childbearing age to determine if they are preggers, and then recheck them when they return for possible violations of their new laws.  Sound like a fun new world. 😎

• Sad 1

Abortion now, abortion tomorrow, abortion forever.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Abortion now, abortion tomorrow, abortion forever.

When I think of Strom Thurmond, I think of that mantra, but with the word segregation.

I wonder what the teenage black maid whom he forced to have his child would have said about abortion.

44 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Related image

You wouldn't joke about this subject if you could personally have an unwanted pregnancy.

A lot of things are funny to some people because it doesn't personally hurt or affect them and it can't happen to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

When I think of Strom Thurmond, I think of that mantra, but with the word segregation.

I wonder what the teenage black maid whom he forced to have his child would have said about abortion.

Actually it was George Wallace's 1963 inaugural address as governor of AL.  Although in 1963, Strom would have totally agreed with it.

12 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Actually it was George Wallace's 1963 inaugural address as governor of AL.  Although in 1963, Strom would have totally agreed with it.

You know more about Dixiecrats than I do. LOL

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Goes to show that at least in one part of his life Strom was a strict integrationist.

7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

You know more about Dixiecrats than I do. LOL

I think George was too young to be a Dixiecrat (1948), but he was a segregationist.  Ironically the first time he ran for office he lost because he was not segregationist or anti-black enough.  He vowed he would never be "out Nworded" again.

40+ State and Local Prosecutors Say They Won't Enforce 'Unconscionable' Abortion Bans

"What brings us together is our view that as prosecutors we should not and will not criminalize healthcare decisions such as these."

.....the law enforcement coalition Fair and Just Prosecution, 42 elected prosecutors said enforcing "deeply concerning" laws recently passed in Georgia, Alabama, and other states would erode their communities' trust in the justice system and traumatize patients who would be unable to access medical care that has been legal in the United States for more than 40 years.

"As elected prosecutors, we took an oath to uphold both the U.S. Constitution and the Constitutions of our individual states," wrote the officials. "As some elected prosecutors have noted, the broad restrictions in the laws passed by these states appear to be unconstitutional under Roe v. Wade. Many of us share those legal views, but our commitment to not prosecute women who obtain abortions and health care professionals who provide treatment is not predicated on these concerns alone.".....

"These recent enactments by and large ignore the reality and suffering of victims," wrote the prosecutors. "It is a prosecutor's obligation to protect and seek justice on behalf of all members of our community, including victims who are often the most vulnerable and least empowered."

"Laws that re-victimize and re-traumatize victims are unconscionable," they added.......

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/07/40-state-and-local-prosecutors-say-they-wont-enforce-unconscionable-abortion-bans

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

40+ State and Local Prosecutors Say They Won't Enforce 'Unconscionable' Abortion Bans

"What brings us together is our view that as prosecutors we should not and will not criminalize healthcare decisions such as these."

.....the law enforcement coalition Fair and Just Prosecution, 42 elected prosecutors said enforcing "deeply concerning" laws recently passed in Georgia, Alabama, and other states would erode their communities' trust in the justice system and traumatize patients who would be unable to access medical care that has been legal in the United States for more than 40 years.

"As elected prosecutors, we took an oath to uphold both the U.S. Constitution and the Constitutions of our individual states," wrote the officials. "As some elected prosecutors have noted, the broad restrictions in the laws passed by these states appear to be unconstitutional under Roe v. Wade. Many of us share those legal views, but our commitment to not prosecute women who obtain abortions and health care professionals who provide treatment is not predicated on these concerns alone.".....

"These recent enactments by and large ignore the reality and suffering of victims," wrote the prosecutors. "It is a prosecutor's obligation to protect and seek justice on behalf of all members of our community, including victims who are often the most vulnerable and least empowered."

"Laws that re-victimize and re-traumatize victims are unconscionable," they added.......

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/07/40-state-and-local-prosecutors-say-they-wont-enforce-unconscionable-abortion-bans

While prosecutors do have some discretion in performing their duties, can they really refuse to prosecute someone who violated a state law just because they personally disagree with it?  Of course it is easy to say this when the courts have already placed the laws in abeyance until a court decision is made.

41 minutes ago, TheCid said:

While prosecutors do have some discretion in performing their duties, can they really refuse to prosecute someone who violated a state law just because they personally disagree with it?  Of course it is easy to say this when the courts have already placed the laws in abeyance until a court decision is made.

They can do this in CA;  my bro-in-law (who is no longer DA of my county),  and Harris while DA and later as AG of CA,   used such discretion often.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:23 PM, Princess of Tap said:

You wouldn't joke about this subject if you could personally have an unwanted pregnancy.

A lot of things are funny to some people because it doesn't personally hurt or affect them and it can't happen to them.

but there is great hypocrisy afoot here. we are told that women must be the ultimate deciders of their own bodies but...

but isn't experiencing an unwanted pregnancy as a result of recreational sex a betrayal of the boast of complete bodily control by a woman?

38 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

but there is great hypocrisy afoot here. we are told that women must be the ultimate deciders of their own bodies but...

but isn't experiencing an unwanted pregnancy as a result of recreational sex a betrayal of the boast of complete bodily control by a woman?

It is my POV that women shouldn't be able to receive any child support unless the man that contributed to their pregnancy agrees to pay child support.     Women should have 100% control over their bodies and that includes if they have a baby or NOT.   But that also means women are 100% responsible for providing the financial support for any child they decide to have.     I.e. with power comes responsibility.  Since a man has NO say in the manner (with regards to if a child is born or NOT),   he should have no forced upon responsibility.

Such a change in the law would likely lead to more terminations of unwanted pregnancies and to me that is a good thing for society as a whole.  

but lowering the standards upon which we value human life and completely ignoring any value due to facilitating recreational sex will ultimately prove maybe already is self-destructive to the moral character of a people.

to choose to indulge the propogators of sexual license even to the devaluing of human life in the womb is a betrayal of the basic moral character of our country's history and people.

devaluing life simply to indulge sexual gratification and enjoyment is not the mark of a righteous nation. I certainly do not believe that forcing or coercing sexual abstinence on americans is right or wise but to wholesale feed the other extreme imo is even a bigger folly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

but lowering the standards upon which we value human life and completely ignoring any value due to facilitating recreational sex will ultimately prove maybe already is self-destructive to the moral character of a people.

to choose to indulge the propogators of sexual license even to the devaluing of human life in the womb is a betrayal of the basic moral character of our country's history and people.

devaluing life simply to indulge sexual gratification and enjoyment is not the mark of a righteous nation. I certainly do not believe that forcing or coercing sexual abstinence on americans is right or wise but to wholesale feed the other extreme imo is even a bigger folly.

And I have to read this from a supporter of the least moral person on the planet?   

• Thanks 2

human politics has always been intrinsically corrupt so to apply such a high standard to trump is not in my view sensible...

and when we stand destroyed in the midst our own moral rubble and decay then perhaps my observations will be regarded as more relevant.

:D

we stand in a time of same sex marriage...

could the Brooklyn bridge or the golden gate bridge have been built by a people with today's prevailing mindset?

I think not.

:)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

we stand in a time of same sex marriage...

could the Brooklyn bridge or the golden gate bridge have been built by a people with today's prevailing mindset?

I think not.

:)

I don't agree with that either but it's certainly not an excuse for Trump to lie and do whatever he wants.

• Confused 1

I never before realized there was a deep connection between the building of the Brooklyn and

Golden Gate bridges and opposition to gay marriage. I guess we can throw in the Empire State

Building and the Chrysler Building. Thank goodness they were all completed before the 1960s.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Where do you think all those Egyptian slaves came from?

uh...

generations of ethnic hostility on the part of Egyptians torwards Hebrews.

:huh: