Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

I'm Alive! Did Anyone Even Notice My Absence?

47 posts in this topic

No one sent me a private message in the last four months asking what happened to me. I think Sgt. Markoff's disappearance generated an entire thread. Sort of depressing to know I've been on here 11 years and my absence for a few months generates zero "Hey, whatever happened to ..." posts! That's how little I'm thought of around here I guess. I am an utter nobody in comparison.

I had some serious cable/internet issues. Hopefully I'm back to stay. I'll go into some more detail in a day or two. I've been lurking when I can, trying to keep up on threads. TCM is about to show Star Wars, and not one person on here thought that was worth starting a new thread about! That seems par for the course around here! I imagine the people who post on their Facebook page have been going insane about it.

• Like 1

For better or for worse, this place looks like the usual to me: self-absorption in politics, social issues, recently deceased, and occasionally some other stuff like movies.

Welcome back.

• Haha 6

Wow, certainly one of my most admired fellow posters chiming in. Thanks MCOH! Your database is a great joy in my life, and I'm looking forward to accessing it again more regularly. In fact, I was looking at it just now for the first time in months. What little Internet connection I've had during this time has been on my phone, which when not connected to Wifi, is seriously less effective than the days of dial-up modems.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

No one sent me a private message in the last four months asking what happened to me. I think Sgt. Markoff's disappearance generated an entire thread. Sort of depressing to know I've been on here 11 years and my absence for a few months generates zero "Hey, whatever happened to ..." posts! That's how little I'm thought of around here I guess. I am an utter nobody in comparison.

I had some serious cable/internet issues. Hopefully I'm back to stay. I'll go into some more detail in a day or two. I've been lurking when I can, trying to keep up on threads. TCM is about to show Star Wars, and not one person on here thought that was worth starting a new thread about! That seems par for the course around here! I imagine the people who post on their Facebook page have been going insane about it.

Wow! Ya know and now that you've brought it up here sewhite ol' buddy, it HAS been quite a while since I've offered up one of my questionable little "bon mots" in reply to somethin' YOU posted around here, hasn't it!

So, four whole months ya say, eh?! Man, time sure flies when one starts gettin' up there in age, doesn't it!  ;) 

(...nice to see you back)

• Haha 1

I noticed your absence, sewhite. I had been following your posts in the "I Just Watched" thread, where you had set yourself the goal of posting about all of the movies that you would watch throughout this year. And, as I've noticed happening a few times when people set themselves a lofty goal such as that, you stuck to it for a while and then disappeared. I didn't necessarily think the two were directly related, but then again, perhaps there's a curse of sort at work, a digital gremlin that attacks those with high message board aspirations.

Anyway, glad you're back. ;)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think Sgt. Markoff's disappearance generated an entire thread.

A thread I must have missed. Anyway, welcome back. Speaking of missing posters, I have seen nothing from Cave Girl recently, who seems to have disappeared about the time the Sgt did, nor have a seen anything recently from Stephan, whose posts I always enjoyed reading.

Yes, how interesting. Gordon Cole too. The 3 Faces of Eve. They aren't missed (in my case). Frankly, I don't care about Star Wars nor will be I watching it. Welcome back. Sorry, I didn't notice. It's hard to keep track of people on the boards. Unless I have a personal connection to a poster, I usually don't notice.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Sewhite. Glad to see you back. As for GC, s/he is probably using one of their other accounts or making a new one.

1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

A thread I must have missed. Anyway, welcome back. Speaking of missing posters, I have seen nothing from Cave Girl recently, who seems to have disappeared about the time the Sgt did, nor have a seen anything recently from Stephan, whose posts I always enjoyed reading.

Maybe Stephan was Cave Girl too. :blink: 

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

No one sent me a private message in the last four months asking what happened to me

Don't feel bad. I was gone six months. Nada. No PMs. No "Where's laffite?" I did find one that said "He's gone, yippee!" that got 250 responses that said "Woo-hoo!!!" but that's about it. We fringies get no respect, I tell ya.

:lol:

• Haha 2

I think the later cgi ring they added to the destruction of the death star was a big mistake and they should just have left the original death star's explosion alone...and I didn't know that tcm was gonna show star wars.

that first one may by far be the best because starting with TESB they started adding all the pseudo-religious force BS.

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Don't feel bad. I was gone six months. Nada. No PMs. No "Where's laffite?" I did find one that said "He's gone, yippee!" that got 250 responses that said "Woo-hoo!!!" but that's about it. We fringies get no respect, I tell ya.

Hey welcome back!  I noticed you missing too.  No I didn't see a thread like that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Welcome back, Sewhite. Glad to see you back. As for GC, s/he is probably using one of their other accounts or making a new one.

Maybe Stephan was Cave Girl too. :blink: 

I think stephan55 actually became disinterested over the streaming issues, which he always had some dialogue in helping others with, down in the The Basement forum.  Also I saw him develop an interest in the overall Open Source Software movement and Linux, both which I have talked about before, as they pertain to recent Internet software, ethics, and consumer privacy issues.  The others mentioned couldn't have cared less or didn't even notice.  So I didn't suspect anything funny.

• Like 1

Speaking of people who are missing, James is gone. He said he was visiting Austria in another thread so I assume he is there right now.

I'm Alive! Did...

I thought you were going to say your were Frankenstein ...

• Haha 1

I don't know many on a personal level here. Some stick out like a sore thumb, and it is easy to notice a disturbance in the force. Sorry I didn't notice you were missing sewhite2000. Hope your Internet stays healthy.

i did indeed notice your absence. Since you were such a frequent posters, I was concerned that something had happened to you. Glad that you are back!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, laffite said:

I miss you when you're gone, Lafitte. You don't post enough. When you look at your post count and factor in your great seniority here,  it's not very much. Of course, everything you do post is cherce.

Also, some people have their profiles set so that we can't tell when they were last on the board. For example, you can hover over my name and see the last time I was on. A few others don't allow that information to be shown. For example, you posted an hour ago, but hovering over your name indicates that you were last here on April 25. Lawrence is another one who has his profile set that way. What's the point? His profile says that he last visited in October 2017, yet we know he's been here since then.

• Thanks 1

I am always with youuu!

the noble Barnabas

Image result for jonathan frid barnabas collins

and the fearsome supernatural creature wrought by Angelique

Image result for jonathan frid barnabas collins

moral: doan mess with a jealous blonde.

Image result for lara parker angelique

From the land of Tim Conway, here are The Raspberries during a reunion tour.  No, they are still alive.  I just thought I'd post a video.  I can still talk about people who are alive on here, right?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Also, some people have their profiles set so that we can't tell when they were last on the board. For example, you can hover over my name and see the last time I was on. A few others don't allow that information to be shown. For example, you posted an hour ago, but hovering over your name indicates that you were last here on April 25. Lawrence is another one who has his profile set that way. What's the point? His profile says that he last visited in October 2017, yet we know he's been here since then.

There is an option to log in anonymously and I believe that's what causes that. I must have checked that box. Not sure why. Maybe I like to be sneaky? Not even sure what it's for.

Thanks, Swithin

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Lawrence is another one who has his profile set that way. What's the point? His profile says that he last visited in October 2017, yet we know he's been here since then.

No, I haven't.

Bullet-2.gif

So, after the baseball game I watched tonight ended, one night after getting cable restored in my residence, I switched over to TCM for the first time in four months (been a surreal period - I missed all of 31 Days this year, of which I've always been a staunch defender against the overwhelming, crushing ennui and hate from pretty much everyone else who's ever been a regular poster). And what was on? All About Eve, one of the greatest movies of all time! I love you, TCM! I watched a 51-minute swath, from the time a large portion of the cast is siting two by two on the stairs at the party to the time Addison is just starting to explain to Eve what the parameters of their companionship are going to be from now on. I'm too sleepy to continue, especially seeing a Western is next (with rare exceptions, not a genre I don't care much about). Anyway, it was a welcome return.

(Got up in the middle of the night and saw a post of some naked demon-woman moving to hide behind a tree. Either I dreamed all that or a mod swooped in and removed it by daylight)

OKAY, so here's my story: I got behind on my cable/internet payments and decided in January that of all the bills I have to pay, it was the least essential. And after so many days of my payment being past due, they of course shut it off. That was Jan. 20, I think. I completely missed 31 Days of Oscar for the first time in almost 20 years (yeah, yeah, let's have the posts: "You didn't miss anything!") and whatever else TCM aired between Jan. 20 and yesterday. I read a lot of books, bought any number of DVDs from Half Price Books and listened to baseball on the radio.

While I did have some limited Internet connection through my smartphone, I learned that using it when it's not connected to Wifi is an extremely dicey proposition. Certainly I couldn't stream anything on it. A lot of times I couldn't load websites that had any graphics at all. I kept in touch with the message boards, but I never posted because I don't have my password stored on my phone, and I have no idea what my password is: it's just saved on my laptop. My experience is you're almost never allowed to retrieve your old password on any web site; you just have to create a new one. And I didn't want to create a new one on my phone and lose the one I have stored on my computer.

Oh yeah, and I never took my laptop to somewhere that I could connect it to Wifi because I've been having weird issues with it where the battery seems to lose its ability to charge if I take my laptop outdoors and drive it somewhere in weather that's above 70 degrees. So far, a reboot has fixed that issue every time, but it makes me nervous enough that I'm just keeping my laptop at home unless it's an emergency. So, my only Internet use for four months was on my phone.

Anyway, I'm back. I did not end up having to pay what I thought was going to be a thousand dollars for all those extra months of delinquent payments. They closed down my account and considered me a brand new customer. I only had to make back payments up to the time they shut down my account, about $150. If I'd known that, I would have done this much sooner. Being a new customer, I had to get new equipment (everything I was using was considered obsolete and not being issued to new customers): a new modem/router and a new cable box, and I discovered only after bringing all that home, I needed a new remote as well, and had to go back the next day and get one of those. I have essentially the same package as before, with the addition of HBO, which I haven't had in about 12 years. I could watch the final episode of Game of Thrones tomorrow night, which would be my first episode ever! (Will I be confused?) As a new customer, my bill will be about $50 less/month for the first year. Oh, yeah, the cable companies also force you to take on a landline now as part of their bundle. If there's a new customer, there's no way you can not get it. I'm pretty old school. I already have a landline from another provider. I don't really want to be paying for that twice, so I guess I need to get that set up and drop my other provider.

I will try to stay atop of my payments this time and avoid all that again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Oh, yeah, the cable companies also force you to take on a landline now as part of their bundle. If there's a new customer, there's no way you can not get it. I'm pretty old school. I already have a landline from another provider. I don't really want to be paying for that twice, so I guess I need to get that set up and drop my other provider.

I still have a landline, as well. I actually give that phone number more readily than my cell number because phones aren't permitted in my workplace unless we are on a break, so I find myself just calling my home phone for any messages. Every now and then, someone will leave a message at that number and they will say "I tried to leave you a text, but it wouldn't go through." 😄

So did you find you had much more time to do things since you didn't have the distraction of the web to deal with?

I live in an apartment, and our power gets interrupted it seems at least a few times a week. I'm always amazed at how productive I can be with my time when everything is out of energy!