Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Classical Music(redux)...

26 posts in this topic

Can't seem to find the old thread to resurrect, so I'll start a new one.....

I've liked classical music almost all my life( my life not yet over to make it possible to say all my life  ;)  ) but never knew who was who in the case of composers, conductors, performers or such.  I was familiar with BEETHOVEN'S 5th, but only the first four notes( TWO notes, actually.  One played three times, the fourth only once) which was it's intro.   I'll credit(of all people) EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER and their "Pictures At An Exhibition" LP  as the catalyst of getting me to finally get off my azz and learning some of this stuff.  So, it turns out one night that I went to the nearest E.J. Korvette's , which in spite of HARMONY HOUSE, PEACHES and other long established record stores, had an almost unequaled record department.  And much better prices than the others just mentioned.  And, as it seems, the FIRST two classical LPs I ever in my life bought were....

Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition"--Vladimir Horowitz on one side playing the original piano composition, and side 2-- The NBC orchestra with Arturo Toscanini conducting the Ravel orchestration.   The other LP?

BEETHOVEN'S 5th symphony, Toscanini again conducting the NBC orchestra. Was somehow familiar with those names, so I bought THEM.  ;) 

What an eye and ear opening!  I won't run down all my purchases chronologically, as after 46 years it's hard for me to remember the order.  ;)  And.....

I'm happy to report that after all these years, and all the hours listening to classical music radio and scouring thrift shops for old LP in effort to find still yet unheard of( by me) works by yet unheard of( by me again) composers that every now and then, and in part thanks to the MUSIC CHOICE section on my cable service, I'm STILL discovering thrilling and beautiful comositions by new found composers and unknown(again by me) musicians.  Liike the other day, while driving around doing a few errands, that "Classical days/Jazzy nights" public radio station I mentioned before, and too, the only remaining Detroit area radio station still playing classical music, I heard THIS....

Not the same recording probably, but delightful all the same! 

There are other LITOLFF "Concerto Symphoniques", and I can't wait to get at 'em!  And too, not familiar with the obviously very talented pianist.  :)

Sepiatone

motion picture soundtrack music is the only form of modern music I think the great classic composers could appreciate.

I think some of jerry goldsmith's ST-TMP music would knock their wigs off.

:)

my favorite track...

This is the piece Litolff is known for, and according to Wiki the only piece he is known for. Not to denigrate him, in fact I did not dislike the offering you (Sepia) gave. When I was a kid one of the programs of the local classical music stations used this  famous scherzo as an intro.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Now we know why they are all frowning.

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

motion picture soundtrack music is the only form of modern music I think the great classic composers could appreciate.

They wouldn't have understood why music would need moving pictures to exist. According to them, music can stand on its own. Especially when composed by great ones as themselves. They would have been offended.

:lol:

37 minutes ago, laffite said:

They wouldn't have understood why music would need moving pictures to exist. According to them, music can stand on its own. Especially when composed by great ones as themselves. They would have been offended.

Well some did compose for theater. I'm sure if you explained the concept of films to them then they would understand. From -Le Bourgeois gentilhomme -

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm sure if you explained the concept of films to them then they would understand.

They would think you were stark, raving mad. (but I get your point).

Lully would not have understood anyway because of the Age in which he lived. Not very imaginative in the modern sense, he wrote court music that was intended to be of the stodgy sort. He would have been lost in our modern world.

:D

2 hours ago, laffite said:

They would think you were stark, raving mad. (but I get your point).

Lully would not have understood anyway because of the Age in which he lived. Not very imaginative in the modern sense, he wrote court music that was intended to be of the stodgy sort. He would have been lost in our modern world.

I don't know about that he could always get a job playing the piano for ballet classes. The school that I went to they always had some very dull classical music person playing those songs but they worked out fine with the adagios.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Bernard Herrmann would agree.

And I don't own the original soundtrack recordings from the Hitchcock movies.

I own a CD which Bernard Herrmann recorded conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing the music he composed for the Hitchcock films from the 50s and 60s.

Vertigo, that's my favorite.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know about that he could always get a job playing the piano for ballet classes. The school that I went to they always had some very dull classical music person playing those songs but they worked out fine with the adagios.

LOL . Tres amusant.

16 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

:o

How did all these ORANGES get into this APPLES discussion???  ;) 

GERSHWIN, I had NO idea ANYBODY composed for electronic synthesized  instruments 200+ years ago! :huh:

Now, NIP.... remember back WAY before "moving pictures" existed, composers either wrote operas( the 17th and 18th century version of the Broadway musical and musical motion picture) or "incidental music" for plays.  Like FELIX MENDELSSOHN's music for Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream", and later, EDVARD GREIG's music for Ibsen's "Peer Gynt" among others.  ;)

All I really was going on about was that after more than 40 years of being an avid listener, I'm STILL finding something "new" from time to time. 

Yeah, I read that Litolff's "scherzo" from the Concerto Symphonique  #4 is supposed to be "famous", but truly, I've never remembered hearing it before. And  that the FIRST one is long-lost, which is kinda sad.  :( 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 2:28 PM, laffite said:

you are wrong.

jerry goldsmith's ST-TMP music needs no imagery to soar...

it soars in the mind, Lafitte.

anyone who can appreciate music should understand that.

:P

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:o

How did all these ORANGES get into this APPLES discussion???  ;) 

GERSHWIN, I had NO idea ANYBODY composed for electronic synthesized  instruments 200+ years ago! :huh:

Now, NIP.... remember back WAY before "moving pictures" existed, composers either wrote operas( the 17th and 18th century version of the Broadway musical and musical motion picture) or "incidental music" for plays.  Like FELIX MENDELSSOHN's music for Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream", and later, EDVARD GREIG's music for Ibsen's "Peer Gynt" among others.  ;)

All I really was going on about was that after more than 40 years of being an avid listener, I'm STILL finding something "new" from time to time. 

Yeah, I read that Litolff's "scherzo" from the Concerto Symphonique  #4 is supposed to be "famous", but truly, I've never remembered hearing it before. And  that the FIRST one is long-lost, which is kinda sad.  :( 

now we are to limit soundtrack music to the purism of past centuries?

music is music. 

music is the end and not the means.

17 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

jerry goldsmith's ST-TMP music needs no imagery to soar...

it soars in the mind, Lafitte.

Then we agree. That's what I said about the old Masters. Music stands on it own ... in the mind ... soaring ...

Can you listen to that ST music without the visuals and still enjoy?  If you can then you are ready to listen to the Masters.

I like that music you posted. I listened to them both to the end.

And it WAS those "Old Masters" to which I was referring.  Which is why I posted this thread here in "Off topic chit-chat", and NOT the "general discussions" page, which somehow still gets all those discussions to pertain to topics relating to MOVIES.  Like, there's been several threads related to movie soundtracks over there already. THIS THREAD however, isn't one of them.  ;)   :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

21 hours ago, laffite said:

Then we agree. That's what I said about the old Masters. Music stands on it own ... in the mind ... soaring ...

Can you listen to that ST music without the visuals and still enjoy?  If you can then you are ready to listen to the Masters.

I like that music you posted. I listened to them both to the end.

I have always listened to soundtrack music that way. if it soars in the mind I care not for it's movie or TV origins. 

you are right. good music should stand on it's own.

when I listen to this I think of the omnipresent power of trump.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

when I listen to this I think of the omnipresent power of trump.

It's sounds like a f*rt Concerto to me.

Odd, NIP.....

When I think of Trump( which for my appetite's sake isn't often) I hear THIS :o --------------

And now I see we're derailed..... AGAIN! :angry:

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And now I see we're derailed..... AGAIN! :angry:

I would say shipwrecked.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, laffite said:

It's sounds like a f*rt Concerto to me.

it projects great ominousness which the great masters woulda appreciated.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

They would have thought it schmaltzy.

13 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Would too, depend on the "great master".  For instance......

The Laudanum addled HECTOR BERLIOZ woulda loved it.   So would the self-centered drama "King" RICHARD WAGNER.  ;)

Sepiatone