spence

The Top films of Each Decade YOU DECIDE???

2 posts in this topic

*Always  denote an ACADEMY AWARD (AMPAS) winner   Yes, I posted a few items on here onkly hours back &eeded help on a couple to, but NADA? They were not that big a deal or earth shattering, I;m mostly disappointed in this audience, I write on many &always either get a positive or negative response, this time O) They were not earth shattering, or world changing, just wanted others to get the scoop likeyself. If you want or feel to please try &check them out & I vetight now not 1 other TCM-ITE replies on this one either WHATS UP DOC? WARNING MY KEBOSARD IS DOING BIZARRO THINGS TODAY HENCE ALL THE SLOPPY WRITING

I've written/posted this fun cinefax previously &on other sites, if you don't care to respond it's ok

TOP TEN MOVIES OF EACH DECADE (NOTE: I have in my files & books EVERYTHING film related, but decided to cut this one short & start with the 1980's ironically since I've been alive 54yrs this was my favorite decade, not only movies either & everytime I talk to not a millinial-(HATE THAT WORD!) & MOVIES, they agree the 1980's was the strongestever since the previous ones of course  So, here it goes>

AFI-(American Film Institute) (Est: 1967- (TRIVIA: Oscar winner Gregory Peck (l9l6-2003) was it's first chairman by way): also AFI & voting for foreign language films ineligible

1st place Raging Bull (l980_(& was almost a landslide in a polls)

2. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (l982)-(NOTE: My debut year at going to between 36 & 60 new releases)

3.Blue Velvet (l986) (TRIVIA FUN FAX: Lynch'stv Twin Peaks is truly a companion pc this the more than bizarre masterpiece, with Dennis hopper brilliant in one of film history's sickest villians)

4. Hannah & Her Sisters (l986) (was probably the runner-up that year to only *Platoon"_

5th place Atlantic City (l98l)-(NOTE: Lived there at only age 16 just after shooting finished)

6. Raiders of the Lost (l98l)-(TRIVIA: THE now 77yr old Harrison Fordmay already be working on the 5th installment?)

7. *Platoon (l986)

8. Once Upon a Time in America (l984)(directors cut only)-(Ennio's beautiful scoring also a companion pc to Leone's 1969 Western Once Upon a Time in the West) (A SECRET Both scores are tied for my own favourite moton opicture scores ever composed Ennio only recently finally took one home for Tarentino good but not spectacular Western Hateful Eight(2005) He by far at that pt held AMPAS record for oldest winner at 87, then 2yrs ag James Ivory upped it at age 94 by winning screenplay OSCAR)

9, Prizzi's Honor (l985)

10th place by AFI votingThe King of Comedy (l983)'(I thought thisbrilliant even at age 18 & Jerry Lewis never givencredit fir his straightmanwork as Jerry Langford, Then there' the wacky Sandra Bernhard-(fmr M.A.D.O.N.N.A.as closer apparently & more then a buff &I LOVE HER TO PIECES-(aka "In Love" over 5yrs)ts she's done this a loy in her 60yrs after using friends as stepping stones, she leaves & never a will again? I have theories what happened-(not for here)EVER CATCH ONLINE BERNHARD BRAGGING ABOUT KNOWM IN ETTERMAN  AVID ADE LIGHT  OF HER-(l988) & SHE BROUGHT OUT LOUISE M liked Dave thought appearing on 8 times. As for Sandra I've always felt she was robbed of a supporting shot for King. It was then too weird fr mainstream Academy vters.

& for it's first & only time they included actor Jack Nicholson-(l937-) Actress (MerlyStreep (l949) and Director Martin Scorsese (l942-)  All 1980's

VS. My own top 10 1980's-(YOU CHOOSE?)

1. Raging Bull-(AFI even vited this the overall #4th great film in it's 2007 100yrs...100 Movies-10th Anniversary Edition>(P.S,. like Schindler & only a handful of others in a category I call JAW DROPPERS & YOUCOULD HEARA PIN DROP AT IT'S CONCLUSION)

2. Blue Velvet

3. *Platoon-(went back 3 times)

4. E.T.-(hate to strangers, I;m a big Irish, fmr bodyiftng MICK, but it made me cry after first seeing it) Saw in in New Jersey first time &my debut yr in trying to its mrt the already Oscar exprts, oddsmakers you name it I BOMBED! Thinking the best ET would win over thestillvery good (***1/2) long in filming, tns & tins f cast members &most of all during thee days the AMPS admired, generic, coffee tables epics SO I DD LOUST FURS COUOLE OF YEARS ANYWAY I firthore blew it I WAS SO GREEN THEN, TOOK MY UNTIL '86's & the yr of PLATOON to get a dandle on all a lot more

5th fav Atlantic City

6 (tie) Hannah & Her Sisters and Crimes & Misdemeanors ('89)-(usually don't believe in tis, exceptof course in sorts, these ar ever so close to this moviegoer By the way *The woodman usually cites Crimes… as his finest work)

7 Who framed Roger Rabbit (l988)(never knew whythere wasn';t a sequel though, took home 4 Golden statues &made $154m.???)

8. Once Upon a Time in America (again D/C only, over  88 minutes were cut out from this gangster masterpiece for N America)

9, Cinama, Paridiso (l989-Italy)-(also this Oscar victor is my personal all-time freign language film, stick around for it's beautiful final & asual the now 91yr old Ennio Morricone's work as a musician is perfecto)

10th fav of my own Shoah (l985-French) (9 hr documentary on the Holocaust, but never dull) (Ebert called this a film for the AGES unquote)

1990's (AFI told me via phone bac then they weren't gonna conduct another huge decade/movie survey due to them putting tgether another in it's 100yrs specials, this one being 100yrs...100 Laughs instead?

A #1 for me Schindler's List (l993) (could anyone image it not being #1 on any suveys &later went so far in both famous 100yrs...100 Movies (l998) AFI;s 1998 100yrs...100 Movies tv special poll coming in at 9th all-time  ONE FOR THE AGES

2. GoodFellas (1990)-(As much as *GFI is my No. 1 all-timer in any genre, this &tv's The Sopranos are the real deal)

3. Saving Private Ryan (l998)-(NOTE: Very close call between #2 & #3 here)

4. *Unforgiven (l992)-(also rank this among the all-time Westerns, only after The Searchers, Shane, Once Upon a Timein the West  Very unlikely the now going on 89 living leged Clint will do better, sadly in the recent mule hate to admit (William Munny) looks awful & has another coming.

5th *Titanic (l997)-(of coursenot to be confused with the 1953 Fox version, whch is entertaing enough, yet a but too sappy, I;m not a cgi guy, but still t this day I've not seen anything come close with what Cameron & crew put together A ONCE IN A LIFETIME UNDETAKING!!! Now will skip to 5th highest grossing film ever prioduced, still considerrng studios cannot show a 3"14 minute feature as many tmes vs say the current blockbuster Avengers End Game-(coming up to #2) Back in ;82 & fr yrs after Id go back to certain movies, but for yrs nope. Very rare, did go to see this 3 times myself & as a legendary directr said"Make Your Final Shot Yur Best Shot" & it lives up to that!. \

6. Pulp Fiction (l994)

7. The Shawshank Redempion (l994) (TRIVIA: imdb.com  high movie websites a coule yrs ago polled it's readers & they vted this the best movie of all-tme even over KANE & THE GODFAHER)

8. The Remains of the Day (l993)

9. Leaving Las Vegas (l995)

& 10th personal fav. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

And the 2000's

1st Gangs of New York (2002) (NOTE: I personally rank *D. Day-Lewis brilliant creation as true to life villain Bill "The Butcher" Cutting among Oscars top 5 biggest sins of omission, losing to *A. Brody a great pic The Pianist, but the works don't even come close? in my book &D Day should have a staggering (4)leading actor statuettes?) (QUESTION TCM0ITES: Who truly deservedBest Actior Bridy, D-Day even 12 time nominee Nicholson in about Schmidt *tough not nommedRobin Williams(l9512014) may have deliveredperformance of his life in One Hour Photo?? Pre annual critis awards were devidedbetween  *D Day & Jack though Broy didn't win 1 ifthise now too many annual awards Pianist a great film & OPOikabsu;s directuion equay som but>>>

2. *Million dollar Baby (04) (I;m no fan of women's boxing, huge boxing fan &buff &even scorecard keeper once in awhile, but this warms one up to it, beware arguably among Hollywoods Most Depressing pictures)

3. Cinderella Man (2015) (I seem among the chosen few that love this boxing picture BIG-TUIME! Don't understand why it got dumped on a lot?  Guive it another shot,no pun intended My fav of all concerned Ron Howard,Crowe-(barely over *Gladiator though, *Zelleweger,etc  Must admit Iee it I got to spend 8 or more hrs with Howard &most of the cast of Cocoon=(smmer of 84 down here in St. Petersburg, FL)

4. King Kong (2005) (No what your sayin' WHAT Can't help it even went back once thought it was grand entertainment, of course no match for the legendary 1933 version BUT WILL SOMEONE TELL MY WHY JACK BLACK?)

5. KB2 (2014) (Tarentino's Western flavor follow up to his even more ultra violent KB1 which has an Asian texture)

6. United 93 (2015 or 16) (S Kingwhen he write on again off again reviews in EW cited this along wth KANE &THE GODFATHER)

7. Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) (Absolutely magnificent & brilliant filmaking from Eastwood here. Tells opposite story of the Americans at Iwo Jima while his earlier Flags of Their Fathers told by U.s. Marine's)

8. *Gladiator (2000) (WHAT IS THERE TO SAY NOW?)

9. Almost Famous (2000)

10, Finding Nemo (l993) (at this late Wat Disney/Pixar date still my own fav. (TRIVIA: To date highest moneyspinng Pixar animated feaure is last yrs Incredibles 2)

AND so far for 2010-)-(NOTE: To most upon seeing these decades breakdown, theyalways say "WHAT HAPPEED" '82 was a great movieyear I personallyrated 10 new releases full ***stars for 1982, last few yrs barely one

1st The Artist (2011)-(Prfecto filmmaking such as this deserved more then just 5 Academy Awards & his Dog, studio put out a campaign in Variety for the puppy to get a s. actor nod Plus, I;m alway a sucker for anything Hollywoods glorious Golden age) A possible debit & Kim Novak quoted as saying she felt slowly raped when seeing it, due to it's score, virtually one of all-timers in Vertigo To top things off among it's five wins Best Original-scire was among them  I';m always more a sucker to for B &W

2nd Gravity (2013) (Absolutely staggering, stunning moviemaking &no lt up either &only 91 minutes Even Leonard Maltin-(another pen pal of mine) rarely gives a film 4 stars, he seemed to want to give this sci-fi heavyweight more.I don't prchaee many new titles ondvd(heck, if you want you can virtually watch entre film on youtube right now but i'd get this &am no big sci-fi fan either Sandy Bullock is astonishing her, her detractorswill be stunned by her one woman show here TRUST ME! & Mr. Cool Oscar winner himself Clooney adds just the right tough as usual WARNING: Please don't divulge a truly confidential sequence) As far as Hollywood went, I accurately predicted eventual winner very good to 12 Years A Slave wold styill take the biggie, but 7 check this out Gravity swept &anyway  I must watched this,notcountig the theatre 50 times so far can't take the ol' eyes off it &excuse me her either  ya' know

3. Stan & Ollie (2018) (Bow I have faith BIG-TIME in you Classic Tinsel-Town Buffs & Fans is at least knowing about this barely advertised yet amazing comedy-drama from the U.K. & most still call & without pause The GreteastComedy Duo in Movie History" No, not taling about Olson & Johnson here either. This is &you hear this a lot A MUST SEE IF YOU COULD SEE ONE MOVIE ALL YEAR CHOSE THIS, same ol' same publicity nonsense THIS FILLS THAT BILL, Reason you can trstme for a myriad of reasons  I frst got very heavily into Stan Laurel (l890-l965)& OliverHardy (l892-l957) in the early '80's on tv of course &then L. Maltin produced a late night series of their dyanamichrts-(mostdo agree overallthose shorts with Hal Roachto the features though my fav is1937's superb Way Down West the duo's feature & wonderfully focal pt, especially rge numbers they sang in the comedy-western Would have to look it up, but that's cheating but I think it's Sound & Sound ("Trail of the Lonesome Pine") were in that Golden Race. For me the instant enindr ofeven youngfans-(due to tv) immediately laughed at that glorious dancing moment. Then-(will not divulge(their careers take a downslide, regularpeople round the globe don't recognize them anymore, the works  I KNOW A TON OF FELLOW MOVIE BUFFS, YOUNG & OLD, SOME MILLIENIALS-(loath that phrase & most that now about Stan & Ollie or saw old movie(one that stunnespeople is they started in the silent era as well)  A lot of this also on display in the kind of film nowadays &gven the dfferent eras may not be made again There have been lots on HOLLYWIOODS ALL-TIME GREAEST COMICS mostly for tv though '92';s Chaplin was a veery rare exception but only grossed $9m. W.C. Fieldsand Me" (976) Bio of W.C. Fields starrig rod Steiger, sadl fir him you coud catch his acting & it hit the heck.WELP, KNOW YOU TIRED HEARINGBIT & OPINIONS & A LOTTA' MORE. In shirt John C. Reillyas ollie was more then perfecto! & Steve Coogan as Laurel same goes but more restrained Only sold 4m. to so called Golden age Comedy Fans???  (SMAME SHAME)Then here comes the ACADEMY Reillyhas been to the dance once beforefor his spporting turn in 2002's Chicago & his snub to not only me but thers I know & have cintact was disgusting, you decade lok at the Best actor nominees? Cooganwas up fir a SAG Award at ;east

4. Life Itself (2013 or14) (this fr me was very personal docu on Roger Ebert also author, screenwriter Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (l970) This excellent docu deals wth hisfinal weeks & days barely being kept alivein a hospital His only wife him Also: his caregiver. Ebert was a hidden Alcoholic for decades, nit sure he smoke thuoghas most of his fans & viewers know he was alwals very much overwgt  I frst strted watch via just plain old channel surfing while living in Seaside Heights, NJ & stopped because 2 guys summer on 1979 were taling about new movies, most notablea then unkown film Breaking Away  Of curse they gained immediate popularily & went onto SneakPreviews, At the Movis & I think the duo of him & on screen partner Gene Siskel-(l946-1999) where the THUMBS UP stated. The were everywhere Johnny Carson, Jay leno, Letterman, morning shows& more, Weirdest thng is Gene fell ill with CANER beforeRoger^& Rogernever forgave Gene because he never informed him he contracted brain cancer until towards the end  Gene was operated on but it didn't take, so in theirgory days on showsSisel would kidd him about his wgt Welp, last interview bothwere on  shortly beforeGene went, Gene was making jokes at his expense but instead of the audience laughing with him they were laughing at Gene Siskel instead Topper is now forgitten siskel doesn't even have a WOF-STAR but ebert dies? as for riger I just happened ti ctch himon a TCM commercial & couldn't rI WAS SO DEOPRESSED SPORTS FANS!!! box, had no sides to his dead on bothides Rogerwas never tall at all man 5'7 at best & a bit over300lbs early on, butthis was a shell of the man. Took him to a special hosp where much ofthis docu feature took place, wfe at bedside. He git sooo excited when she was going to literally take they tried to do so monthly to a real movie theatre. In shirt, all dressed the the nine's you know it A shirt time after his moviegoing experience he went from yet another infection  NOTE: Even prior to Life Itsef was totally snubbed the the Oscars, years ago he made a pretty accurate about the AMAS, especially the category he may have been up for Best Documenary-Featre & how many times he'd witnessed them screw-up in this same category  i.e. SHOH, WINGS IF DESIRE,etc I;m positive TopBilled, LawrenceA Jakeem can locate ther omissions in 91yrs of Oscar here  WELP, VERY LONG, PLEASE DON'T DUSRARD & MOSTLY I;M OISSED WUTH MY KEYBARD RIGHT NOW, AGAIN EXCUSE THE MESS  I MUST FINISH UT WHAT SO FAR APPEARS TO BE THE LANES QUALITY MIOVIE YEAR & It'S TOP TEN BEST OF THIS DECADE (2010-) PLESE SEND ALL COMMENTS 

• Thanks 1

1900-1909 = The Dog and His Various Merits (1908)

102423-the-dog-and-his-various-merits-0-

1910-1919 = Bangville Police (1913)

MV5BOTM4NDk1NDUyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY0

1920-1929 = Midnight Faces (1926)

136548-midnight-faces-0-230-0-345-crop.j

1930-1939 = Maniac (1934)

220px-Sex_Maniac_(1934_film)_poster.jpg

1940-1949 = White Pongo (1945)

White_Pongo.jpg

1950-1959 = Mesa of Lost Women (1953)

Mesalostwomen.jpg

1960-1969 = The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961)

220px-Beastyuccaflats.jpg

1970-1979 = Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)

220px-Draculavsfrankposter.jpg

1980-1989 = Runaway Nightmare (1982)

75201-runaway-nightmare-0-230-0-345-crop

1990-1999 = The Satan Killer  (1993)

220px-SatanKillcover.jpg

2000-2009 = The Room (2003)

220px-TheRoomMovie.jpg

2010-2019 = Saving Christmas (2014)

220px-Saving_Christmas_poster.jpg