Dargo

Gosh! And here I was havin' SO much fun with that "Ben Must Go" thread!

84 posts in this topic

I Like Dave's voice the most. Then Eddie. Alicia and Ben tie for last place.

As for talent, just Eddie. He doesn't bother me when it comes to personal opinion. The others do. Eddie adds value to the talk. He seems to stay on topic. The others seem to drop more personal feelings.

The 2-3 minute segments, for me, are blah, blah, blah.

I think Cigar Joe should get a guest host shot for Noir Alley, with Eddie.

Not to discount anyone else. Joe seems absorbed/passionate with Noir.

If Joe's avatar is real, perfect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, laffite said:

If the forum here should suddenly and catastrophically dissolve overnight we should all agree to gravitate to Yahoo Groups or somewhere like that for the first sign of one of us starting a new group "formally of TCM". Even if the TCM Channel didn't exist any more we could always argue about politics or something (or revel to the bon mots of our jesters).

-just a reminder, SILVER SCREEN OASIS was started some yrs. ago by a group of TCMites, unhappy after a former flame-war :)

http://www.silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lydecker said:

Aw, shucks.  Does this mean I can't trash Dave Karger aka "Mr. No Personality??" 

He has personality enough for me! (and great clothes).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

He has personality enough for me! (and great clothes).

He does have great clothes . . .

5 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I Like Dave's voice the most. Then Eddie. Alicia and Ben tie for last place.

Personally I like Alicia's boobs the most. :D

6 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I think Cigar Joe should get a guest host shot for Noir Alley, with Eddie.

Maybe, Michael Rennie, but I have a feeling . . .

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

. . . they might try to keep him in the alley and as far away from Alicia as possible.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mr6666 said:

-just a reminder, SILVER SCREEN OASIS was started some yrs. ago by a group of TCMites, unhappy after a former flame-war :)

http://www.silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/

It is sad to say that the site is moribund as the users have migrated to the Facebook version.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/20/2019 at 9:38 AM, laffite said:

Even worse than Otto?

Some mods are stricter than others.

Things they check you for:

Taking off on other posters

No discussions on politics, religion...anything that would generate useless "back and forth" between posters.

41 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

Some mods are stricter than others.

Things they check you for:

Taking off on other posters

No discussions on politics, religion...anything that would generate useless "back and forth" between posters.

Got it.

I was referring to the auto sensor ... a joke (attempted, anyway).

On 5/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Personally, I don't object to commentary on whomever the present moderators may be. There were endless threads on here not so long ago bashing Tiffany Vazquez (I think her name was? Not making the effort to look it up) as a teenybopper who had really terrible fashion sense, and I don't recall the mods seeing fit to ever delete those.

I liked Tiffany Vasquez, but she probably wasn't political enough to stay. She needed to bring up the evil blacklisting more, and point out the bad conservatives of yore.

Some posters, even when they are on General Discussions, can't seem to help but have their political agenda seep into their every comment. It must be terrible always looking at life through that prism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Some posters, even when they are on General Discussions, can't seem to help but have their political agenda seep into their every comment. It must be terrible always looking at life through that prism.

I too am guilty of this practice. At times that is, though probably not as bad as others who do the same. This is one of the main reasons why I do not post anymore in the Off-Topics forum. Just not worth it to be engaged with other posters who are diametrically opposed to my beliefs.

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I try to avoid looking at the screen. Don't find any of them attractive. Eddie wears good looking suits. So does Dave. Ben, not so much. I'm a leg man. Tiffany was easier to watch for me. I still miss her. Shallow on the part of TCM to remove her so soon, and dare I say, pull the plug on FilmStruck. Oh wait, Now Playing Guide too. Guess we are not on the same frequency. My agenda might be to point out how many times TCM has wronged me.

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

I too am guilty of this practice. At times that is, though probably not as bad as others who do the same. This is one of the main reasons why I do not post anymore in the Off-Topics forum. Just not worth it to be engaged with other posters who are diametrically opposed to my beliefs.

I have wondered at times what I am still doing here.  For some time now, I have just been ignoring anything that people say on here which doesn't directly correlate to me tracking the movies they show (I have included the community in my effort inherently for my own benefit), or for my own personal recording and collecting of more movies.  That is about all I care to accomplish on here.  I don't come here to listen to other people's opinions, problems and issues, though if you are respectful I may listen and try to help.   I am also a history and music buff, so I have my occasional diversions.  Enough about me. ;)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SansFin said:

It is sad to say that the site is moribund as the users have migrated to the Facebook version.

Interesting, but I wonder why the move to Facebook.  Also I noticed the forum on their website is self-hosted, meaning they must take care of all the arrangements and details with running the forum.  Ah, okay I get it.  Well up to about 2014 it seems to be a nice group.

I don't have a Facebook presence and never have though.  I took one look at MySpace over ten years ago and kind of laughed at it.  Haven't been a Social Media type of guy since (except internet forums like this).

7 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I have wondered at times what I am still doing here.  For some time now, I have just been ignoring anything that people say on here which doesn't directly correlate to me tracking the movies they show (inherently for my own benefit), or for my own personal recording and collecting of more movies.  That is about all I care to accomplish on here.  I don't come here to listen to other people's opinions, problems and issues, though if you are respectful I may listen and try to help.  I am also a history and music buff, so I have my occasional diversions.  Enough about me.  ;)

Sort of like the look on the face of your avatar, right? Its funny, but every time I read your posts and I see your avatar it makes me think of Ed Asner for some reason. Who is your avatar of, anyway?

I sort of think about the whole meaning of posting here as well. Unlike those posters who have been here for a relatively short time but who have racked up impressive amounts of posts, I am more careful and picky when deciding when to participate in a thread. As you probably know I can get quite detailed when writing about something and I try to do the proper amount of research before I do either reply to someone or on the rare occasions when I create a new thread.

I am just too curious about what others have to say. As you can see, I started here in 2007. Back then I was much more engaged with the other very popular and thoughtful posters like MissGoddess, FrankGrimes, CineMaven, FilmLover, lzcutter and FredCDobbs, Molo14, JackFavell, Scsu1975, hlywdkjk (Kyle), PrinceSaliano, markbeckuaf, Fedya, and many others who do not post here anymore. I sort of became a member of their “stock company” of posters.

I think one can get somewhat discouraged when they see just how many posts certain people create. I mean I like to post but do so usually when I think I have something to add to the conversation. Sometimes I can get myself into hot water by writing certain things, but on the whole I guess I just like to read the posts certain people have had.

When I read your posts I think, now here is a person who puts a lot of thought into what he wants to convey. I also like the way you use certain data to back up what you are talking about in the first place.

Whatever you do please don’t leave the boards. We value your contributions here. Oh, before I forget, I too am a history buff. American history, especially American naval history.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Unlike those posters who have been here for a relatively short time but who have racked up impressive amounts of posts, I am more careful and picky when deciding when to participate in a thread.

I think one can get somewhat discouraged when they see just how many posts certain people create.

Anyone in particular in mind? 

18 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

A couple who seem to be MIA.

As a relatively recent poster who has a lot of posts, I assumed that I was one of, if not the chief, person being suggested here. Of course, my posts are also not careful or picky, and I certainly don't come across as someone who has put a lot of thought in what I convey, so that also led me to think that I was the target of the poster's derision. If my presence, or the style or frequency of my posts, have caused people to post less frequently or to seek other message boards to post in, it would not surprise me in the least. I've been told directly and indirectly, and via PM many times and from more people than I can recall, that the above is true. 

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Sort of like the look on the face of your avatar, right? Its funny, but every time I read your posts and I see your avatar it makes me think of Ed Asner for some reason. Who is your avatar of, anyway?

I sort of think about the whole meaning of posting here as well. Unlike those posters who have been here for a relatively short time but who have racked up impressive amounts of posts, I am more careful and picky when deciding when to participate in a thread. As you probably know I can get quite detailed when writing about something and I try to do the proper amount of research before I do either reply to someone or on the rare occasions when I create a new thread.

I am just too curious about what others have to say. As you can see, I started here in 2007. Back then I was much more engaged with the other very popular and thoughtful posters like MissGoddess, FrankGrimes, CineMaven, FilmLover, lzcutter and FredCDobbs, Molo14, JackFavell, Scsu1975, hlywdkjk (Kyle), PrinceSaliano, markbeckuaf, Fedya, and many others who do not post here anymore. I sort of became a member of their “stock company” of posters.

I think one can get somewhat discouraged when they see just how many posts certain people create. I mean I like to post but do so usually when I think I have something to add to the conversation. Sometimes I can get myself into hot water by writing certain things, but on the whole I guess I just like to read the posts certain people have had.

When I read your posts I think, now here is a person who puts a lot of thought into what he wants to convey. I also like the way you use certain data to back up what you are talking about in the first place.

Whatever you do please don’t leave the boards. We value your contributions here. Oh, before I forget, I too am a history buff. American history, especially American naval history.

That's Edward Brophy.  You can see him in  Buster Keaton's The Cameraman, or in some of the later sound pictures, such as The Falcon.  He had a squeaky voice and New Yawk (I think) accent, which added to the charm.  A Mel Blanc-sounding type of character.  That face is actually him looking surprised right after a woman rejected him (a cleaning lady running a vacuum cleaner, who he tried to hit on).  I'll just post the links to a sequence of pictures here from that scene, so as to not clutter the thread.  This entire exchange happened in the time of just a few seconds, as they walked down the hall with Edward Brophy slightly ahead of Tom Conway, and had nothing to do with the plot.
http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-1.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-2.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-3.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-4.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-5.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-6.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Falcon-In-San-Francisco-7.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not leaving.  I just thought I'd chime in, in response to your thoughts above.  I came in around 2014, so I saw FredCDobbs online for some time.  Also posted a bunch with Kidd Dabb before he disappeared.  There are likely others too.  Fedya still posts here.  Also Scsu1975.  Lzcutter seems to be an insider, but haven't chatted.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to chat with Kyle.  The rest of them either haven't heard of or have only read their posts in passing.

I haven't looked in a while, but I think I have a little over 3000 posts.  I don't try to build my numbers up there.  It just is what it is.  Positive feedbacks on eBay, of course.  Post count on an Internet message board, not so much.

That's an interesting sounding hobby on the naval history.  For me it would be mostly on the history of technical innovation/Industrial Revolution and after.  I just watched this short documentary on building the Golden Gate Bridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKU1PTyHtbM

5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That's Edward Brophy

I was right! I saw him in The Last Hurrah not too long before I was cut off from TCM and this Website by failing to pay my cable/Internet bill, and I was like, "Holy crap, that's MCOH's avatar!". Funny how this message board has warped my mind that this is what I'm thinking about while watching movies.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, laffite said:

I was referring to the auto sensor ... a joke (attempted, anyway).

oops

sorry

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As a relatively recent poster who has a lot of posts, I assumed that I was one of, if not the chief, person being suggested here. Of course, my posts are also not careful or picky, and I certainly don't come across as someone who has put a lot of thought in what I convey, so that also led me to think that I was the target of the poster's derision. If my presence, or the style or frequency of my posts, have caused people to post less frequently or to seek other message boards to post in, it would not surprise me in the least. I've been told directly and indirectly, and via PM many times and from more people than I can recall, that the above is true. 

How sad. Why would anyone be so shallow? You seem to hang out a lot in the "I Just Watched" section. Your posts are frequent. Last time I looked, this is a message board devoted to movies. How can your posts be a bad thing?

I use to be on a Apple (Mac) forum. I had no trouble bashing the way the company is run. At the time, I was a Mac user. My complaints were my own. You should hear me complain about Microsoft Windows.

I've been forced out of more than one forum. Once people are against you, it is hard to fix. I refuse to kiss up.

To be completely honest, I am upset and offended, if what you're saying is correct.

People need to treat others the way they want to be treated!