Dargo

Gosh! And here I was havin' SO much fun with that "Ben Must Go" thread!

84 posts in this topic

I, for one, enjoy reading Lawrence's comments and observations.  Many of them are about movies I have never seen or even heard of, so it is almost always new information for me.  I tend to read a lot and speak infrequently.  I'm fearful of the reactions if I said "The Bad Seed" is one of my favorite films.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

LawrenceA recently created a SUTS schedule for Michael Rennie. I was much impressed, as if it was for me. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it was a nice gesture.

• Like 2

Yeah, I guess I'll chime in and say I'm oblivious to anything LawrenceA might or might not have purportedly done too.  He's big on movie reviews though.

59 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

How sad. Why would anyone be so shallow? You seem to hang out a lot in the "I Just Watched" section. Your posts are frequent. Last time I looked, this is a message board devoted to movies. How can your posts be a bad thing?

I use to be on a Apple (Mac) forum. I had no trouble bashing the way the company is run. At the time, I was a Mac user. My complaints were my own. You should hear me complain about Microsoft Windows.

I've been forced out of more than one forum. Once people are against you, it is hard to fix. I refuse to kiss up.

To be completely honest, I am upset and offended, if what you're saying is correct.

People need to treat others the way they want to be treated!

You should hear me complain about Microsoft Windows.
I tried...

Once people are against you, it is hard to fix. I refuse to kiss up.
NEVER EVER apologize for things you didn't do or don't intend.  You are not there to be put on anyone's "program".

55 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Many of them are about movies I have never seen or even heard of...

And many of them are ones that should stay that way! :lol:

P.S.: I liked The Bad Seed.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

And many of them are ones that should stay that way! :lol:

P.S.: I liked The Bad Seed.

Like your current avatar pix, Lawrence. There simply aren't enough people celebrating Bunny Rabbits From Hell.

9db73e69da6edf120cc388191f26dcc33045e9ce

1 hour ago, Michael Rennie said:

How sad. Why would anyone be so shallow? You seem to hang out a lot in the "I Just Watched" section. Your posts are frequent. Last time I looked, this is a message board devoted to movies. How can your posts be a bad thing?

I use to be on a Apple (Mac) forum. I had no trouble bashing the way the company is run. At the time, I was a Mac user. My complaints were my own. You should hear me complain about Microsoft Windows.

I've been forced out of more than one forum. Once people are against you, it is hard to fix. I refuse to kiss up.

To be completely honest, I am upset and offended, if what you're saying is correct.

People need to treat others the way they want to be treated!

You shouldn't be upset or feel offended. It's silly to think that quantity of posts (as in a lower number of posts) is directly related to quality of said posts. It's a ridiculous notion in my opinion. It's really never about quantity, if you ask me...it's about how the individual poster is engaging with fellow posters on topics of interest. There's no need to put any other judgment value on it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Like your current avatar pix, Lawrence. There simply aren't enough people celebrating Bunny Rabbits From Hell.

9db73e69da6edf120cc388191f26dcc33045e9ce

I had to change it already. It was giving me nightmares, and I hadn't even tried sleeping yet.

I'm trying to find an avatar to settle on. I know...with me that's an unlikely occurrence, but I think my current, late-mid period Vincent Price one fits my tastes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I had to change it already. It was giving me nightmares, and I hadn't even tried sleeping yet.

I'm trying to find an avatar to settle on. I know...with me that's an unlikely occurrence, but I think my current, late-mid period Vincent Price one fits my tastes.

Well if you get tired of Vinny you could try this one.

1326586680.jpg

Oh, no, maybe you'll be back to nightmares again.

Have you ever considered having a gif as an avatar? I'm pretty sure it would work. I think some other poster (I forget who) was able to do it for a little while. Could be a little distracting, though, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

I was not referring to you. It is not really about the quality of the posts but rather IMHO, some sort of guilty pleasure on the parts of those (and there are a couple who do this) who do post a lot to see if they can attain a huge amount of posts almost to the point that it becomes a competition to see who can amass the most posts. There are a few posters here who, over the years have pretty much said this out loud, for anyone to see/read.

How is this relevant to a discussion about Ben Mankiewicz? Also, why go out your way to bring this up and cause negativity with other posters? Maybe those posters are proud of their contributions to the board. It does not have to be a negative thing. Bringing your views about this to everyone's attention seems like insecurity and jealousy. Just make your posts, let them make their posts and co-exist (AND stay on topic). Is that too much to ask?

Nowhere have I seen anyone competing about the number of posts they have. There is NO evidence of that, and your suggesting this seems oddly suspicious to me. I think you really need to drop it. Just saying!

45 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

I was not referring to you. It is not really about the quality of the posts but rather IMHO, some sort of guilty pleasure on the parts of those (and there are a couple who do this) who do post a lot to see if they can attain a huge amount of posts almost to the point that it becomes a competition to see who can amass the most posts. There are a few posters here who, over the years have pretty much said this out loud, for anyone to see/read.

Curious how instantly defensive some posters become, jumping all over you, fxreyman, for simply making a reasoned observation. It sure doesn't take much to set some people off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Curious how instantly defensive some posters become, jumping all over you, fxreyman, for simply making a reasoned observation. It sure doesn't take much to set some people off.

Yes, curious isn't it?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

How is this relevant to a discussion about Ben Mankiewicz? Also, why go out your way to bring this up and cause negativity with other posters? Maybe those posters are proud of their contributions to the board. It does not have to be a negative thing. Bringing your views about this to everyone's attention seems like insecurity and jealousy. Just make your posts, let them make their posts and co-exist (AND stay on topic). Is that too much to ask?

Nowhere have I seen anyone competing about the number of posts they have. There is NO evidence of that, and your suggesting this seems oddly suspicious to me. I think you really need to drop it. Just saying!

You know what I find interesting TB? There have been MANY threads here on the message boards over the years that were started about one subject and often is the case that somewhere within that thread a whole new conversation pops up usually about a whole different subject. It is called "going off the rails". This happens ALL the time.

This happened right here on page two of this thread. And yet you seemed to not mind that the thread was going in a slightly different direction than the way it started off. My question to you then is why admonish me? If you have a problem with threads not staying on message or topic, then your concern or admonishment of people would have not started with me. Others here started talking about other subjects before I added my two cents.

Am I missing something??? Or is it that it is YOU that is insecure whenever I bring up a subject or an idea that could possibly run counter to what you believe in?

Bringing my views about what I believe in is right and just. I never tell others what they should write. Nor do I admonish others about the content that they write about. Do I have different opinions about what they write? Sure. And I let them know about it. I also offer my views on what I think may motivate posters in doing what they do, write or comment on.

But to sit here this morning and rake me over the coals for what you believe I was doing… going out of my way bringing this up and causing negativity with others, just shows me that you really don’t have a problem when threads are hijacked or the subject matter goes off the rails or is changed somewhat. Your problem is with ME.

You really do not like the way I bring up certain topics here or the way I may express myself do you?

Otherwise you would be admonishing others here as well. And I do not see you doing this.

Do you think whenever one brings their opinions about something like what I wrote and then posts those opinions in a thread is based solely on jealousy or insecurity? If that were the case then we are all guilty of that.

To everyone who has posted in this thread…

Am I being negative??? If I am, I am hoping that those of you who feel I am being negative will at least have the courage like TB to step forward and tell me.

As is often the case TB, you seem to hold a more than holier than thou attitude when trying to tell people what they should be talking about, don't you? Once a topic goes slightly off the rails, you swoop in to tell everyone to keep the conversation on point, or at least to me, you like to try and cause me shame when I try to make a case for something I may believe in.

As far as competing about number of posts or at least giving an impression of number of posts one attains, I think you should look in the mirror.

Many years ago you pretty much wrote that over and over again. At the time you wrote stuff like how impressed you were that others had written well over 20,000 posts and that you had hoped that you would be able to pass them at some point.

I have to say that I am not opposed to someone attaining the amount of posts someone like yourself has attained, but it really bothers me that one would think an ultimate goal would be the amount of posts they can create for themselves and how that in someway is so important to them. Or at least how important that might affect someone's opinion of them.

I have been a member of the message board since July of 2007. And since that time I have amassed less than 3,000 posts. My thoughts about the amount of posts is not very critical. I have never been on who felt the need or desire to be everywhere, all over the message boards like you seem to be. Insecure? Sure seems that way to me. Why else would someone spend as much time as you do on a movie message board? Don’t you have a job to go to? Or are you independently wealthy and are able to work out of your home?

As I have written before, many of my posts are well thought out and I spend a lot of time writing the posts, rewriting them (like this one) and doing what I consider to be an appropriate amount of research before posting. When I feel that my post is ready I will then publish it. Sometimes I hold back few hours or days. Sometimes I hold my ire. Just a few of my thoughts...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

It didn't seem like a reasoned observation to me. It seemed like an off-topic rant that the poster made more than once, to keep stirring up trouble maybe. Those kinds of posts always come across problematic and in my opinion lead to personality clashes among the message board posters. That's why they ultimately get pulled. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It didn't seem like a reasoned observation. It seemed like an off-topic rant that the poster made more than once, to keep stirring up trouble. Those kinds of posts always come across problematic and in my opinion lead to personality clashes among the message board posters. That's why they ultimately get pulled. Thanks.

This is your opinion!

Rant??? Here is the definition of rant:  speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way. A tirade.

I do not believe I have been wild in any way, shape or form.

Want to know something? Personality clashes are often started by those few here on the message boards that simply view themselves as somehow above the fray. Somehow viewing themselves as the voice of reason.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

You know what I find interesting TB? There have been MANY threads here on the message boards over the years that were started about one subject and often is the case that somewhere within that thread a whole new conversation pops up usually about a whole different subject. It is called "going off the rails". This happens ALL the time.

This happened right here on page two of this thread. And yet you seemed to not mind that the thread was going in a slightly different direction than the way it started off. My question to you then is why admonish me? If you have a problem with threads not staying on message or topic, then your concern or admonishment of people would have not started with me. Others here started talking about other subjects before I added my two cents.

Am I missing something??? Or is it that it is YOU that is insecure whenever I bring up a subject or an idea that could possibly run counter to what you believe in?

Bringing my views about what I believe in is right and just. I never tell others what they should write. Nor do I admonish others about the content that they write about. Do I have different opinions about what they write? Sure. And I let them know about it. I also offer my views on what I think may motivate posters in doing what they do, write or comment on.

But to sit here this morning and rake me over the coals for what you believe I was doing… going out of my way bringing this up and causing negativity with others, just shows me that you really don’t have a problem when threads are hijacked or the subject matter goes off the rails or is changed somewhat. Your problem is with ME.

You really do not like the way I bring up certain topics here or the way I may express myself do you?

Otherwise you would be admonishing others here as well. And I do not see you doing this.

Do you think whenever one brings their opinions about something like what I wrote and then posts those opinions in a thread is based solely on jealousy or insecurity? If that were the case then we are all guilty of that.

To everyone who has posted in this thread…

Am I being negative??? If I am, I am hoping that those of you who feel I am being negative will at least have the courage like TB to step forward and tell me.

As is often the case TB, you seem to hold a more than holier than thou attitude when trying to tell people what they should be talking about, don't you? Once a topic goes slightly off the rails, you swoop in to tell everyone to keep the conversation on point, or at least to me, you like to try and cause me shame when I try to make a case for something I may believe in.

As far as competing about number of posts or at least giving an impression of number of posts one attains, I think you should look in the mirror.

Many years ago you pretty much wrote that over and over again. At the time you wrote stuff like how impressed you were that others had written well over 20,000 posts and that you had hoped that you would be able to pass them at some point.

I have to say that I am not opposed to someone attaining the amount of posts someone like yourself has attained, but it really bothers me that one would think an ultimate goal would be the amount of posts they can create for themselves and how that in someway is so important to them. Or at least how important that might affect someone's opinion of them.

I have been a member of the message board since July of 2007. And since that time I have amassed less than 3,000 posts. My thoughts about the amount of posts is not very critical. I have never been on who felt the need or desire to be everywhere, all over the message boards like you seem to be. Insecure? Sure seems that way to me. Why else would someone spend as much time as you do on a movie message board? Don’t you have a job to go to? Or are you independently wealthy and are able to work out of your home?

As I have written before, many of my posts are well thought out and I spend a lot of time writing the posts, rewriting them (like this one) and doing what I consider to be an appropriate amount of research before posting. When I feel that my post is ready I will then publish it. Sometimes I hold back few hours or days. Sometimes I hold my ire. Just a few of my thoughts...

This is a lengthy reply and it would require much effort to go through it all paragraph by paragraph, line by line, to address the different claims you made and to refute them with counterclaims. I don't want to spend the energy on that, though I do appreciate your taking the time to make your views clearer.

My biggest concern re: how you took this conversation off topic is that it seemed to take indirect jabs at posters you were too afraid to mention by name. Probably because you knew that would give you a warning by the moderators. It seemed like you went out of your way to take potshots, instead of fostering and building a sense of community among your fellow message board posters.

NOWHERE in the code of conduct that TCM has supplied us does it say it's wrong for people to have a lot of posts or even to compete about the number of posts they have in a friendly sort of way if they did want to compete about it (which to my knowledge they are not doing). So I think you are finding/creating problems where they don't exist. I really don't get why you are even having an issue with it at all.

You also tell us that you don't post a lot and you don't create threads, but you try to make your posts meaningful. That's the way it should be. That's a normal thing to do and it doesn't need to pushed forward as something better than what you think other people are doing. Again, work on fostering and building a sense of community. Stop with the jabs. It's not necessary.

RectangularDamagedApe-size_restricted.gi

"I HATE it when someone goes off topic on a thread! Makes me go all CRAZY inside! I just have to come on and tell them what I think about it, especially if they go off topic in a way that is any kind of reflection on me. Think I'll write about 70,000 posts on this topic right now. After all, it isn't like I've got anything else to do."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

The "reasoned" observation was also a thinly veiled attack (baiting). The other might have just simply took a higher road and ignored it. A couple of years ago there were flame wars over stuff like this. I thought it was history. Would that it might be, yet.

Yikes...I didn't mean to touch off a conflagration. I was simply curious if I was annoying yet another person (fxreyman). 

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yikes...I didn't mean to touch off a conflagration. I was simply curious if I was annoying yet another person (fxreyman). 

You were not annoying me. Just felt the need to vent a little, thats all.

46 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Well, the only thing that's "annoying" me here with you Lawrence, is that you've failed to offer up the "location" of Vincent Price, your latest avatar!

(...and like you usually and so cleverly do with all your other ever-changing avatars)

;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well, the only thing that's "annoying" me here with you Lawrence, is that you've failed to offer up the "location" of Vincent Price, your latest avatar!

(...and like you usually and so cleverly do with all your other ever-changing avatars)

;)

I went looking for Lawrence's avatar image on IMDb. Amazon took it over and it is nothing more than an overloaded calling card for them. If you want to talk annoying, IMDb is now the biggest pain ever.

I enjoyed Vincent Price's narration in Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I went looking for Lawrence's avatar image on IMDb. Amazon took it over and it is nothing more than an overloaded calling card for them. If you want to talk annoying, IMDb is now the biggest pain ever.

They (IMDb) keep asking me if I want to download their app, and I SO DO NOT.

I just want to look up  actors from murder she wrote To remember where in the hell else I’ve seen them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2019 at 11:21 AM, TomJH said:

RectangularDamagedApe-size_restricted.gi

"I HATE it when someone goes off topic on a thread! Makes me go all CRAZY inside! I just have to come on and tell them what I think about it, especially if they go off topic in a way that is any kind of reflection on me. Think I'll write about 70,000 posts on this topic right now. After all, it isn't like I've got anything else to do."

If you want to play with numbers, my TCM table that I generate my reports from has just over 120,000 entries, that's everything put together.  Now if I had just another year and a half's worth to complete the missing parts, I would have somewhere around 130,000 entries.  That's about one post for every two entries in their history. (70,000:130,000)

IMDB had about 4.5 million titles last time I downloaded their database (late 2017, just before their internal format change where they also removed their titles-by-production-company indexes for free users).  Now they have 5.9 million titles.  The additions aren't very likely to be anything relevant to us, but I think I will check anyway.  Easy enough to download the latest and do a diff on the two.  My guess is they probably filled out more TV shows, counting every single episode, which pushes the numbers up.  They never really focused on that to begin with.
https://www.imdb.com/pressroom/stats/?ref_=helpms_ih_gi_siteindex

So I guess from that perspective, 70,000 sounds pretty inconsequential, huh? :P

22 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

As long as they keep it going and don't kill it over some stupid corporate crap.  I can overlook IMDB's website ads.  I think Bezos can be considered "trustworthy" on at least this one issue.  After all it is integral to his bread and butter.

BTW, Amazon has owned IMDB since 1998, so not a whole lot new going on there.